Will I be able to get into SCAD?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Will I be able to get into SCAD?

I'm going to apply but I'm very nervous I won't get in. I never really knew what I wanted to major in until this year, therefore I was always planning on just going to the state college. Turns out I'm really interested in SCAD's graphic design program. What do you think my probability of getting in are? I have a 3.1 GPA and a 20 ACT score (I pretty much slacked until now :/ ). I also can get some huge recommendations from international companies that I have worked with.

I am moderate at drawing with pencil, I am pretty good with charcoal. I have many ceramics and sculpture pieces as well. All of which I can submit in my college portfolio.

I also have a variety of different graphics designs I have made in illustrator and photoshop that I can submit too.

But I'm still nervous about my grades! What do you guys think?

P.S. I am working on getting a portfolio together, and will post it when it's done.
    And my other college top choice is VCU

Last edited by SLG; October 4th, 2010 at 10:59 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Kismet is offline The Chaotic Dreamer Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am currently a SCAD sophomore and it's pretty easy to get into this school. I know quite a few people who got accepted because of their good grades ALONE, no portfolio. I got in with a VERY average GPA (2.6-2.8ish, I don't remember what I had exactly, but it was around there) and a tolerable portfolio (my statement was probably excellent since I'm great at writing, lol). The only definite way to not get accepted is by having HORRIBLE HS grades. XD

You'll be just fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks! What kind of stuff did you submit in your portfolio? Did you have any recommendations? Since Im going into Graphic Design should I submit graphics or life drawings?

Kismet is offline The Chaotic Dreamer Level 3 Gladiator: Catervarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I might of had anywhere from one to three recommendations, but don't quote me on that (I went to a college prep high school, so teachers just popped reccoms out like candy). As for your portfolio, submit anything. Seriously. The art world nowadays is all about being versatile and flexible; having multiple skills/strengths and what not. So I'd say if you have life drawings and graphics, submit the best you have of both.

In my portfolio personally, I only submitted drawings. Most of them were life drawings of full bodied figures, then I had a few small portraits of elderly people, one was a giant Gothic building (to show I understood architectural detailing), and rest were flowers and animals (I used mixed media for those just to show I could use something other than graphite). That may or may not sound really particular, but trust me, it can be much simpler than that. The minimum amount of images you can submit is 10, the maximum is 20.

I don't know if you're applying as an undergrad, grad, or transfer, so the rules are certainly diff if you're a grad or transfer student.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kismet View Post
    I am currently a SCAD sophomore and it's pretty easy to get into this school. I know quite a few people who got accepted because of their good grades ALONE, no portfolio. I got in with a VERY average GPA (2.6-2.8ish, I don't remember what I had exactly, but it was around there) and a tolerable portfolio (my statement was probably excellent since I'm great at writing, lol). The only definite way to not get accepted is by having HORRIBLE HS grades. XD

You'll be just fine.
    Many colleges have discovered - even art colleges - that students with higher H.S. GPA's are more likely to graduate. Talent alone will not get you through school unless you have the self-discipline to apply yourself rigorously. Many talented artists fall by the wayside in school because they are asleep when they ought to be in class.

Many visual arts programs do not require a portfolio because many types of applied design can be learned, however if a student wanted to major in painting or illustration, a portfolio would certainly have much greater significance.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.