Alex
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Alex

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Alex

Hey everyone.

Here's a new finished concept that I need some input on. Not just on the piece but also on the character's design. Is there something I can do to make her stand out more?

Thanks.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems kind of funny to me to call this a finished concept, when there is no background/environment and the subject is a normal girl going about her business (I don't recognize the person, but I assume you used a reference photo for this? If so, what did you change on her? It would help to see the original).
    Then again, I've never been fully clear on what constitutes "concept art" (I really just stumbled on this forum a while ago by accident) so if anyone can educate me and clarify what it is, that would be cool.

Edit: Okay, I looked up the term on wikipedia myself, and as broad as it seems, I guess concept art is any visual representation of something that doesn't yet exist for the end goal of creating some product. So I guess this example can be considered a concept as long as it wasn't just a straight recreation of a reference.... Don't mind me!

It looks pretty good, by the way. You haven't stated what you were going for though, so it's hard to suggest anything in terms of concept.

Last edited by wooblood; October 4th, 2010 at 06:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by wooblood View Post
    if anyone can educate me and clarify what it is, that would be cool.
    Concept art is piece that conveys effectively a design, plan, structure or idea, as opposed to a story or event. This piece is concept art, as it's a design for a character and shows a good front view of her whole body unlike a bust or waist-up pose would. Hope that helps.

On the concept itself, the lines between skin and material are very jagged and make the body and clothes look like they've come from separate concepts. The outline of the entire piece needs some smoothing out too, but otherwise it's not bad at all. If you're trying to convey and average girl, then you got it right. On second thoughts, she might need a little more shadowing under her boobs, they look average size from the cleavage upwards, but the shirt makes them look flat underneath.
    To add onto it, it might be good to either draw a pose from the back or a close-up of the face, possibly with a different emotion. Full body concepts are great, but sometimes they don't deliver the best details on important aspects such as the face, accessories or for other characters weapons and armour.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    There's not much I can tell about her personality from the visual clues you've given so from that perspective I think you need to push your imagination further. I almost didn't see the beret on her head because there's no highlights and you've used the same color for both her hat and her hair. Her sweater could be from Old Navy or it could be an expensive cashmere. Her bracelet and necklace are nondescript and her purse is obscured by her body -- these are ways she could really express who she is. Will you be drawing her from other angles? If not, move her purse to her right shoulder so we can see it. If you wanted to make her look a bit more girlish she could wear a backpack, whether a standard book bag or a smaller bear shaped purse with double straps. If she's a student have her carry her books, either clutched to her chest or held at her side -- that will show her confidence level, her femininity, etc. She's got a pretty face and a modest figure. She's attractive but there's nothing memorable about her at all. If you've got any back to school catalogs in the mail bin you should thumb through them to get some ideas. For what it's worth, kudos for not drawing a stereotypical pinup girl -- tight sweater, lots of jewelry, etc.

As for the drawing I think her feet are a bit too small and you're using black to shade with -- it's really noticeable on her fingers. Try using a light brown instead.

Last but not least. . . is it just a coincidence that she looks a little like Amanda Bynes?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is really nicely painted. I made some notes in a paintover and it's all subjective mind you. At this point you could explore different color schemes and hairstyles etc and you will have a nice character design exploration piece for your portfolio. I personally think it's one of the best things to have in a portfolio as it shows off your design skills.

Also, here is a link to a clothing website. http://www.revolveclothing.com/index.jsp Lots of great references for current fashions. Have fun!

Name:  attachment.jpg
Views: 223
Size:  165.3 KB

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RogerAdams For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks everyone for the feedback...

wooblood: She's a college student and pretty typical in design, which makes it hard to make her really stand out as a character just from the way that she looks. All I can really give you about her character is that she's a military brat in her early 20's and is studying sociology in Chicago.

Spikings: Good points. I'll be doing a few more of these soon enough I just thought I could do more with the design before I started getting into other angles and expressions.

Ilikesoup: Yeah I like to shade with black it gives a certain feel to it but sometimes I overdo it and the right hand especially is an example of that. Otherwise she's not a particularly rich or flashy person. Shes average at first glance but obviously has a unique history just like anyone else so I want to look average but have a few things about her that set her apart.

And finally it is just coincidence that she looks like Amanda Bynes. I actually started with Dakota Fanning as a reference point (if you look at the two of them side by side you can see it but I wouldn't imagine anyone saying that at first glance) then I made her look older and made a few other subtle changes so she'd have her own look. And now I guess she does sorta look like Amanda Bynes...

RogerAdams: All good points, the hat color and the lighting on the face and the leg especially. I'll have to check out that website too.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's an update...

Another thing is that this is intended to be used for a 2D animated film so the design needs to remain fairly simple.

Thanks again everyone.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your shoes have no indentation on the inner part of her foot (dunno what it's called in english). The part that bulges inwards. Feet do it, and shoes do too.

Her right hand is a tad small. Her right thigh is way too long. Otherwise nice!

- Current project <- Crit away!
    - The Whyatt Sketchbook Any tips appreciated

Quote Originally Posted by Venger
    sometimes your first thought is always right

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by KFAnderson View Post
    She's a college student and pretty typical in design, which makes it hard to make her really stand out as a character just from the way that she looks. All I can really give you about her character is that she's a military brat in her early 20's and is studying sociology in Chicago.

. . .

Otherwise she's not a particularly rich or flashy person. Shes average at first glance but obviously has a unique history just like anyone else so I want to look average but have a few things about her that set her apart.
    You nailed the typical college student part. Which is exactly why she doesn't stand out. Maybe if you knew more about her unique history, you could make her look more unique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well if she's a college student, maybe a book bag or a laptop in her right hand would convey that better. That would show that she is on her way to the class or got out of it. To me right now, she looked like an average girl (you go that right) going shopping or just walking down the street. Nice render by the way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like this over all, but I feel like the purple/magenta tint you've got on the hat now is clashing. From a female standpoint, I'd be surprised to see a girl wearing something like that, with that particular outfit. She's dressed mostly in unobtrusive colors (blacks, grays, etc.) and then you have the pale mint/green stripes, then this way vibrant purple/pink on the hat.. It just is sticking out and definitely pulling attention away from her face. I'd suggest muting that color a bit if you insist on keeping the purple, but I feel like a different color would be a better fit.. Right now I feel like it's the only thing I can see, my eye is totally suck there. (Like the black one that RogerAdams did. That, I think, was perfect. The belt was genius too.. You rarely see a 20-something girl these days without a belt if she's got a longer shirt on like that. Especially with this sort of an outfit -- Clearly this girl has attention to detail, due to her choice of accessories.. She's got a hat, bracelet, a necklace, a chic jacket, skinny jeans/pants, and a cool bag.. there's no way she'd be without a belt.)

I would also adjust your shoes, too. Ballet flats would be what you'd wear with this outfit, but you almost look like you've got slip-on sneakers (like those boater shoes) with the curves you've got going along the tongue area of the shoes.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.