What should i draw?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

What should i draw?

Alrighty, I want to become a game artist and stuff but right now what i am drawing just seems pointless. What can I do that is more geared toward that? Like what can i draw and make and stuff that seems more for gaming instead of like the stuff in my sketchbook. Does anyone understand what i mean? like the stuff i draw now seems pointless for what i want to do when i get older, how can i stop that?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 754 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A drawing that teaches you something is never useless. Studies are essential, you need rendering skill and a visual libary built, ready to draw from. Although drawing from life may seem pointless, we steal literally everything we do from it in one form or another.

Anyway, if you want to do a concept related project, pick up your favourite book (Preferabbly sci-fi or fantasy, think Scott Lynch or Robin Hobb) and then convert this into a design brief for the entire world that it's set it. Now design everything from the book you can find. EVERYTHING ! Create a fully functioning reality based on the book. Characters, scenes, environments, architechture, animals, plants, weapons, items, door knobs, from significant to the most minor detail.

That'll probably emulate the concepting process somewhat, since your working to someone elses brief. Be sure not to look at other fanart, it might influence yours.

For a more original spin, build your own world, city, town, society, whatever.

Always try to think of a purpose for what you're drawing before you do.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Drew Walker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Drawing is not pointless. Studios who hire you for game-related art are going to want to see that you can draw, and they'll especially want to see your sketchbook. So draw everything. Draw environmental elements like rocks and trees, draw buildings, both fantasy and real, draw vehicles of all sorts, do figure and character work, observational drawings, pure design stuff. And do a lot of it, you'll need it later on.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What about the 3D aspect? I would love to do that part of the game art, but again no clue on what to do

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Even if you're aiming for 3D, you will STILL need to learn how to draw everything, mainly because a prerequisite of doing 3D models is visualizing how the whole thing looks at every angle. The more you refine your drawing skills, the more you'll be able to visualize and imagine how they would look like inside your head and vice versa.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.