ChoW#217 :: The Underground Tribe - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok well update i think i got the pose down and i fixed the face a bit im leaning towards making them blind relying mostly on their sense of hearing (hense the big ears) i made em a bit more rat like. anyways now for crits/comments

Nev87-Like the idea you went with would like to see more but keep at it

Mincx-good idea man like the way your taking it, like the idea of riding on a giant molerat thing

Art4All- Hey thanks for the comment! Great start really love your character design only thing is im a little worried it may be a bit to dwarvish, but other than that i still love the design cant wait to see finished

daveneale- Lol i love this one relly like the colors and everything im not i agree with Art4All but it could be fire from another tribe maybe?, keep up the exelent work though bro

silentkitty- i love the design of your character, keep at it, the right arm though seems a bit off to me though but other than that great design

jlafuente-That is totally bad ass design there man, love the colors and the light, a theory you could try is the whole they live in flooded cave systems or something of that sort? Really love this design though keep it up!

Pepperwheel- Great start really like the idea of taking on properties of the bio luminescence, you could try like their hair is kinda like fiber optics with the glow on the tips like its just now manifesting itself? or you could always go avatar style like the navi anyways good start cant wait to see were it goes!

Fallenangel- good design i like the background as well, it would be cool to see some of the scavanged tech in her suit, or on her person, anyways keep it up great stuff!

CrookedHorn- Great idea man love the idea of the fungus they could carry some around with them or something of the sort, but hope to see what the body looks like of this guy keep at it

Mordus - Hey man great stuff love the creepy and mutated look to him, keep it up!

Ruri- good idea man keep pushing it

arri-att- hey man its alright just keep at it and youll get it you could even try a different design its still early into the competition

Ranarh- Really like the idea of them wearing all the trash as clothing could use plastic bags as shirts and pants keep at it bro good idea!

Crysse- Great concept and design i really dig it, will the lantern have fire/or bio luminescence in it?

rgeorge- Hey man dont worry about it just push through that laziness and keep at it!

fdisk- love this design it just looks almost a bit too "fantasy" but still a great design keep at it.

Gavin.Gray- i love the look on his face lol, and he idea of the most shinnies is king, you should really push that idea with him.

lkjhgfdsa- Really did our homework really love the design cant wait to see how you take it into more towards bats

Sseal- good sketches keep it up man, btw whats the thing in his right hand?

hemlock-key- Hey good idea, keep at it

Lodin- Man i really love this guy the design is really great,cant wait to see finished product!

artina- Great picture man really love the look of this guy and the "torch" made from glow worms is a nice touch

Obstfelder- Hey thanks man yea i noticed that with my guy so hopefully its fixed but like this guy, really like the moleman approach your going for keep pushing it!

Migsta- like this sketch only thing is it seems a bit to hi-tech for them but good initial concept.

wow that took awhile
    Name:  underearth-idea.jpg
Views: 779
Size:  122.0 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Undeadartist For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Undeadartist - thanks. I should start refining my ideas a bit now. First one was too much like some anime character and the second is an alien. I think what's tripping me up is I really think this piece needs to go really dark. The brief has one little line I don't like which is the part about being hopeful. That's what's making me keep them from going totally evil. All the scifi I like doesn't have good things happening to people who evolve underground. "The Descent" and "Time Machine" I think give the best descriptions. Someone mentioned about all the bad things that happen to the human body when it has a lack of vitamin D. Their attitude would be pissy at best. Just saying.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Sseal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's his little pet salamander.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art4All - I'm trying to make the amphibian thing work, I'll come up with the theory too.

Nev87 - oh yeah totally agree, the clothing is bothering me to death too, still needs a lot of work.

Undeadartist - thanks! I'm actually doing a cave with a river passing in front of her already, but it's on its early states yet-- I will probably start posting it along with her on my next wip post. Not this one, unfortunately. Didn't get much time today to work on it...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to jlafuente For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wip underground tribe

heres my character. im not really skilled in coloring tho so lets see how it goes.
    queston: Can i use a backgroung that is not mine?

EDIT: i will definitely try to redo the color... seriously..i'll probably need a tablet to be successful lol

Attached Images Attached Images    
    Last edited by Capt.RBK; October 6th, 2010 at 09:55 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Art4All: I love the design and the markings on him; I also like the integration of the crystals his dwarven look.

Thanks everyone for all the feedback and crits! It really pushed me to finish this one instead of just setting it aside.

Name:  Moleman.jpg
Views: 719
Size:  187.3 KB

10. The Following User Says Thank You to fdisk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fallenangel, left foot step up from the sewer, right shoulder should be pushed forward a bit with left shoulder pushed back, minor change but i think could make a huge impact on making the char more 'real'

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Explorer/Archaeologist

Living under the earths surface, you have great potential to come across resources/artifacts and even ancient cities, that are still undiscovered to advanced, surface living societies.

Due to living so far beneath the surface, new resources have allowed for versatile ways of creating light and expanding the tunnel system.

This tribe member is responsible for discovering undiscovered ancient relics and resources, His equipment is very valuable and is in short supply, the lucky few who get to use this equipment are highly regarded by fellow tribesmen and women.

Here are some WIPs:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My very first ChoW -

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thats some great lighting and anatomy nak (y)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Capt. RBK - Before you really break into color, the legs feel REALLY tiny(unless he is wearing his pants around his knees). The waiste comes to low in relation to the arms(same remark about pants and knees). About the tablet, I've only ever heard great things from using a tablet and I'm on my 2nd(first was an Intuos3 medium now I have a 4 Large) and loving it. The tablet will only get you so far. Like the mouse it is a tool. It will feel more natural and will certainly speed up your work flow but it will not make you a better painter. try playing with the brushes a bit. Don't rely heavily on the 0% hardness on a round brush in Photoshop. Some of the best blending happens with a harder edge and lower opacity. As for the background, you dont need a background. It is a character challenge If you do go the background route I would highly advise against using someone elses background without written permission. Even then It might not fit the style/lighting/palette you've built up and will just be out of place anyways. You've got plenty of time. Its only wednesday. Keep going

Nakirush - Is this done? its got the border and everything on it. I feel like if this was in the poll with 50 other entries this would easily be passed up. I'm not saying its bad, it just doesnt leave an impression on me. The character is bland and the surroundings are bland. :/ It's only wednesday You can push this much further. What about this character should be interesting? why is the only bit of interesting armor on his far arm basically hidden? It's got aspects about it that I find interesting(like that weapon...tool? what is that?!?!) and then other areas feel lacking(If that arm is armored then why is it the only part of him that is?)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heres my card in the deck, decided to kinda attack this as looking at the tribe as a whole, how evolution would change us. generations and generations of extremely foreign conditions would take a toll id imagine.

i have alot of background on these guys and girl. but ill go into more details as the end nears. just leave it at a scout, a queen, and a grunt.

crits/thoughts appreciated!

cheers.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey shogo, the 2 figures on the left i think are the best ones, especially the female carrying the young .. awesome concept, and the foundation lighting is great too, hope to see some more work of them soon

18. The Following User Says Thank You to Sinskin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nakirush-Looks Fantastic! I don't give a rip about the armor :0 I would be careful about tangents. The forward leg with the lighting on it almost become the focal point and my eye bounces back and fourth between it and the head. I think most of the issues I see could be fixed with some simple cast shadows. Soften up that knee just a touch, take out the glowing rocks at bottom that are touching the leg, and most importantly I think you need to ground your figure with some shadow on the ground. Right now he's kind of floating. One last thing Is maybe consider using only the light from the stones to illuminate your figure. Currently looks like some white daylight coming from behind. Whew! I actually just wanted to encourage you because it looks so awesome but I guess Nev87 has a point. Your piece is right on the line of between really nice and "TOTAL FREAKING DOMINATION" Clearly you are too good to settle.

shogo- I'm liking the look of your characters the best I think. They are mutated but still seem tribe like. I like the small heads. I was thinking of going that way myself. Maybe I'll just bask in the glory of others this week. I just can't seem to make a decision. Only thing Is I don't think that big guy could exist down there. I'm pretty sure the first nuclear warhead took out bodybuilding.com's warehouse. Where the heck is he going to get his whey? Just a thought. I wonder what he squats?

Sinskin- I love the way you think with your scribbles. Your thoughts about their social system and culture are nice to.

Last edited by Sseal; October 7th, 2010 at 04:55 AM. Reason: one more note

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Sseal For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My backround… now continue the work for my character.
    Luciferin Fisherman, a new cast in the new world of underground tribe

Last edited by Crysse; October 7th, 2010 at 06:38 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I desperately tried to decide on just one, but still ended up with both the scavenger and the bug hunter... I guess I'll have to paint that warning sign after all.
    If people went underground for protection against heat and pollution, they couldn't be that far down, because it quickly gets hot again. So they have light wells which provide at least some illumination.
    Name:  CHOW #216 - Tribe_bw.jpg
Views: 619
Size:  178.5 KB

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ranarh
    Very nice details. Looks very promising. I think you should use the colours to make focus on some hot spots.
    nakirush
    Very nice Only crit. I miss a cast shadow on the floor.
    Sinskin
    Dynamic sketch.
    fdisk
    He's great I like his expression.
    Undeadartist
    Scary tribesman. Looks promising.
    Fallenangel
    I like her. Perhaps calm down the background a bit.
    Mincx
    Good start can bee awesome
    Art4All
    Great character.
    daveneale
    I think its great.
    Crysse
    Brilliant
    arri-att
    Coming good. Keep on render it out.
    lkjhgfdsa
    Very impressive work. I think you should really focus on their faces and heads. The eye tends to focus on the faces.

Sorry for not criting all. So many great wips.
    Still playing with different levels of adaptation and technology.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi

This is my first Chow and I could use some help... I'm thinking a humanoid race who have been living underground for a very very long time (as you can see). They are almost totally blind but can still find food with their enhanced smell and hearing senses. They walk on all four because most of their tunnels are very small. The lack of hair on top of the head is due to scraping of the skull in the narrow tunnels Not sure I'm perfectly happy with the idea so far, any help and thoughts are welcome!

WIP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool, I didn't know I could post WIPs. Thanks for the great advice! I'll put some more work into it tonight.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    waarrg!

Here is my Sketchbook. Please have a look if you have time. Thanks.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=119105

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are all looking awesome!

Here's my guy, think I'm going to start work on the background now.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My fisrt ChOW attempt. I do not have much time these days so it's not really finished but I hope I can still join with what I made.
    (by the way my host won't display the image with the # in the file's name so I had to remove it)

EDIT: Untouched24 > That's right, thanks. It's corrected.

Last edited by Angbryn; October 8th, 2010 at 09:49 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    didn't get much done today. maybe ill get to work on it more later tonight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good work from all. I anticipate a hotly contested CHOW.
    My latest contribution to this battle of gods - a poorly compressed poorly scanned colour test. (poorly rendered)

Last edited by Mordus; October 7th, 2010 at 05:27 PM.
    CRITIQUE AS YOU WOULD BE CRITIQUED
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59
    THE ABOVE LINK IS ALL YOU NEED

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=200044 <- Sketchbook - filled with unhappy things.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, this is it. I really think I've got something here. Just a matter of do I have the skill to turn this into a good painting. Oh. and can I make this character somehow look "Hopeful" We shall see.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just some progress.... struggling a lot, and not sure if I'll finish.

Angbyrn: I thought it's worth mentioning that It's a ChoW, COW is reserved for Creature of the week. Looks good though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello fellows.

hey i am new to this website and forum what is CHoW? And are there any online art events?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Putting in some lights and darks at this point.

So many cool designs with this challenge.

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort." -Herm Albright

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Enomis707 - CHoW is an abbreviation for Character of the Week, a weekly contest to hone your imagination and drawing and painting skills using a brief description determined by the mods(currently Arthemis IX and IceMoon). It starts on sunday and ends on Sunday the next week(usually by 4pm EST). The 50 best that follow the posting directions are placed in a poll to be voted on. Most votes wins the challenge for the week but its all in good fun and really there are no losers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JanJager: Absolutely bloody LOVE that guy in the middle! Superb design, I love everything about him, the white hair, tattered clothes, his yellow teeth and skin color. I could list everything, but there's nothing I don't like about that character. Great entry!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.