Art: For an art battle.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

For an art battle.

I'm pretty new to this board. I've posted only a few times before. However I frequently browse through here to see everybody's stuff. I usually do the DSG assignment, but rarely post my work.

Anyways...

I'm probably going to color this, but I wanted to see what I should fix first. The art battle was draw you favorite scene from Chrono Trigger. This is where Magus turns Glenn into a Frog. Enjoy!

Frog's Transformation Pic

Sorry about the deviant link cause I know it's slow. Anybody have a suggestion for another place to host my images?

BLiK!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehehe- great pic! I feel sorry for the lil frog dude.

I think the background and foreground(characters) are still fighting for dominance.Maybe you could take out more of the detail linework of the characters or try to make the background darker overall?

Just some thoughts.

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    OOOPS!

Almost forgot- I use "Photobucket" and I can direct link to this forum-its free too!

You are a level 8 ninja and even though you have a lot of weapons sometimes your ninja moves are your most powerful.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup, I'm pretty sure the rules say you can't post links in this section, only images. So check out photobucket if you need free image.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tips guys. I'll be sure to check out photobucket for future posts.

Also, I'll work on the background/foreground distinction.

Thanks again.

BLiK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i hate DBZ

im not trying to be mean, but use use own drawings skills, instead of copying from others...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, it is a fan art pic from the game Chrono Trigger. Character design from the game was by Akira Toriyama who also did Dragon Ball. I wanted to use the drawing style to keep likenesses to the characters in the game.

I'll start another thread if you wanna see my own style.

BLiK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ah look, thats kewl

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    On the surface, you do do a decent job of emulating Toryama-san's art style (something I would personally reccommend you not use as your crutch...it's a little like someone trying to learn how to draw like Charles Schulz.) but your compositioning needs a lot of work, as does your sense of structure. Toryama-san isn't simply all about his style - he has a strong iconic sense of compositioning and underlying structure (among other things) that he aplies to his work. Any attempt to copy or emulate guys like him just all the more exposes the current shortcomings in your own work. I'd advise you work on getting the nuts-and-bolts of your drawing skill up, (which in most cases, takes years to accomplish) THEN you can decide to emulate others if you want. Otherwise, all you'll be able to do is emulate surface style, and possibly pick up the bad habits of your hero artists.

Also, not to be anal, but that scene never actually happened in the game. Glenn fell off a cliff after magus cast a spell on him, and then awoke in a stream below as a frog. And just for the record, Magus doesn't seem like the type who'd ever crack a smile at anything.

Last edited by DanSTC; March 10th, 2004 at 01:12 PM.
    Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i just want to say that danstc, you are wonderful. i love the depth you put into all of your posts. you have a lot of thought behind them and honestly it makes my day to read one of your posts. you are a great asset to this forum and community. thanks

sorry to hijack this thread....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Magus smiled in the game quite a few times. You can even get him to laugh if you sit on the throne in the Tyrano Lair. And yah I know the scene never actually happened, but who cares. The cover art of the game depicts Marle casting a fire spell even though she uses water magic. Also one of the pictures in the booklet shows Crono, Frog, and Lucca fighting Magus in the ruins of some city. That scene wasn't in the game either.

Also earlier I said: "I'll start another thread if you wanna see my own style."

I'm not in the habit of copying DBZ stuff. This is actually my first picture that emulates anybody's style since I was in early high-school. (8 or 9 years ago.) I know what you mean about my composition and such. I've never studied art, so creating good composition is pretty foreign to me. No worries though I don't plan on trying to learn it from copying Dragon Ball.

Last edited by MetheGelfling; March 10th, 2004 at 04:30 PM.
    BLiK!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Originally posted by Capt.Harlock
    i just want to say that danstc, you are wonderful. i love the depth you put into all of your posts. you have a lot of thought behind them and honestly it makes my day to read one of your posts. you are a great asset to this forum and community. thanks
    Thanks.

Although I think that I should consider putting a little less thouhgt into my posts. At this point, I'm a much better critic than I am an artist, but at least I'm on the right path where my training is concerned. Also, a lot of what I say in threads like these is stuff I've previously heard from guys like the professional artists who I talk to in my classes at watts atelier.

Originally posted by MetheGelfling

I'm not in the habit of copying DBZ stuff. This is actually my first picture that emulates anybody's style since I was in early high-school. (8 or 9 years ago.) I know what you mean about my composition and such. I've never studied art, so creating good composition is pretty foreign to me. No worries though I don't plan on trying to learn it from copying Dragon Ball.
    If you've never had any formal training, that's going to wind up hurting you in the long run. Ask the guys in the Life Drawing, Learning, Techniques, and Turtorials forum for advice on where to get training, and what to train with at home.

Art student
    ~Livin' large at Watts Atelier.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the tip. I'll be sure to check out the tutorials. I've also been working with a buddy of mine who attends the Academy of Art in SF. He's been trying to steer me in the right direction.

Also not to be anal, but I found this on your school's webpage in the FAQ section.

"Q: People have told me that everyone at the Atelier draws the same style. Will this hurt my creative personal style?

A: This is actually a great compliment. At Watts Atelier we strive to get the students to first learn to see and understand certain basic artistic concepts. We have learned form past Masters that emulation of other great artists that have come before us is an efficient approach to training ones eye to see correctly. Only after much hard work of disciplining can a student then move towards creatively expressing their internal vision. If your goal is to be an abstract artist or conceptual fine artist, then these classes may not be appropriate for your needs."

It seems that learning by emulation of other great artists isn't all that bad as a learning tool.

Last edited by MetheGelfling; March 11th, 2004 at 01:38 PM.
    BLiK!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.