Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Asst. Attorney General of Michigan wages private war against gay UoM Student

I'm surprised that no one posted a thread about this already. I heard about it over on the something awful forums, and I thought I might share the insanity that is Andrew Shirvell here:

Video Here

CNN Article

(CNN) -- For nearly six months, Andrew Shirvell, an assistant attorney general for the state of Michigan, has waged an internet campaign against college student Chris Armstrong, the openly gay student assembly president at the University of Michigan in Ann Arbor.

Using the online moniker "Concerned Michigan Alumnus," Shirvell launched his blog in late April.

"Welcome to 'Chris Armstrong Watch,'" Shirvell wrote in his inaugural blog post. "This is a site for concerned University of Michigan alumni, students, and others who oppose the recent election of Chris Armstrong -- a RADICAL HOMOSEXUAL ACTIVIST, RACIST, ELITIST, & LIAR -- as the new head of student government."

Among other things, Shirvell has published blog posts that accuse Armstrong of going back on a campaign promise he made to minority students; engaging in "flagrant sexual promiscuity" with another male member of the student government; sexually seducing and influencing "a previously conservative [male] student" so much so that the student, according to Shirvell, "morphed into a proponent of the radical homosexual agenda;" hosting a gay orgy in his dorm room in October 2009; and trying to recruit incoming first year students "to join the homosexual 'lifestyle.' "

Michigan Attorney General Mike Cox has declined to comment directly about Shirvell's comments.

"Mr. Shirvell's personal opinions are his and his alone and do not reflect the views of the Michigan Department of Attorney General," Cox said in the written statement provided by his office to CNN's "AC 360" Tuesday night. "But his immaturity and lack of judgment outside the office are clear."

Shirvell said he works on the blog during his off-hours.

On "AC 360," Shirvell made no apologies for his blog postings, which include a picture of Armstrong with "Resign" written over his face. The same picture also had a swastika superimposed over a gay pride flag, with an arrow pointing toward Armstrong.

Shirvell acknowledged protesting outside of Armstrong's house and calling him "Satan's representative on the student assembly."

"I'm a Christian citizen exercising my First Amendment rights," Shirvell told CNN's Anderson Cooper. "I have no problem with the fact that Chris is a homosexual. I have a problem with the fact that he's advancing a radical homosexual agenda."

Armstrong has supported gender-neutral housing at the university for transgender students who haven't had sexual reassignment surgery.

Armstrong told CNN he has hired an attorney but did not give details on what legal action he may pursue. CNN senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin says Armstrong may have grounds for a harassment case.
    I know America and its citizens value freedom of speech and all, but seriously, why hasn't this guy been fired yet?

The current aether of opinion around the net suggests that, probably, Shirvell is in totally in the closest himself. Armstrong rejected Shirvell's advances sometimes in the past. Shirvell got butthurt, and then decided to wage his private slander war on Armstrong. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it were true. (Shirvell's homosexuality, that is)

But in anycase, his attitude shows a lot of how the far right is out of touch with the direction modern America is heading (Societies tend to become more liberal, given time, as they progress and develop (My own theory, not something scientifically based)).

Gay people want to be recognized as *gasp* PEOPLE?! With rights, responsibilities, and needs as other citizens? WHY I NEVER! If we allow gay marriage all over the nation, the terrists have wun. Why can't we go back to the old days, where women knew their place, certain folks weren't allowed on golf courses, females who were suspec--, erm, 'scuse me, obviously witches were burned at the stake, and people were lynched for being different from the blatantly superior white race?

Sarcasm and hyperbole aside, it's obvious that this guy is wanting the gay mansex himself, and is in deep, deep deep denial about it. I wouldn't be surprised if some witnesses later come foward about Shirvell trying to procure some from them.
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

| Sketchbook | Portfolio | dA | Facebook |

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Satan View Post
    Sarcasm and hyperbole aside, it's obvious that this guy is wanting the gay mansex himself, and is in deep, deep deep denial about it.
    I'm going to Godwin this immediately.

So, you're basically the guy who would have attempted to stick up for the Jews by claiming that Hitler was probably a a greedy Jew himself?
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by squidmonk3j View Post

So, you're basically the guy who would have attempted to stick up for the Jews by claiming that Hitler was probably a a greedy Jew himself?
    ...I don't quite follow?

The point I was trying to make was that this guy is a hypocrite for, on one hand, lambasting gays for their "radical homosexual agenda", whilst probably being gay himself.

(I see you bolded my name and probably think I'm an anti-semite or somesuch. I'm not at all - the alias is a bit insensitive, I admit, it's something from my old Quake 2 days, and is more than a decade old. I just haven't decided to change to another name yet)

Edit: nvm, disregard the last paragraph, seems that names are bolded automatically. Been here several years and never noticed it.
    "Never regret thy fall from grace, O' spirit of Icarian flight, for the greatest tragedy of them all to face, is to never feel the burning bright"
    Believe my lies, for I tell the truth about them. Or would you rather me lie about telling the truth?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts

Actually, I have a theory about anti-gay ultra-fundamentalists conservatives who insist homosexuality is wrong on the grounds that it is a choice. Guys like Ted Haggard and George Rekers. They probably find themselves somewhere in the middle of the Kinsey Scale. This, coupled with their dogma causes them to actually believe that homosexuality is completely elective because it absolutely is for them.

So really, it only makes sense that when someone insists that homosexuality is completely elective it's because they themselves swing both ways.
    Last edited by N D Hill; October 2nd, 2010 at 11:43 AM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to N D Hill For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Took me a while to figure out what you were trying to say here.

You're implying that Rabbi Satan is a bad person because he is saying Shirvill (...who thinks other people are bad because they are gay)... is actually gay himself. Meaning you are essentially saying that if someone calls a bad person gay, they are calling gay people bad (or maybe that is what you are accusing Rabbi of... ARG! logic loop! all crew to the escape pods!). It's a common mistake of logic with profound complications. Please remember; correlation does not equal causation.

...Or i totally misunderstood your intended meaning.

...Orrr, you were making a joke (lol btw )
    Last edited by karma militia; September 30th, 2010 at 10:30 AM.

Thanks
    K, I think I get what you mean, squidmonk.

Quote Originally Posted by karma militia View Post
    Meaning you are essentially saying that if someone calls a bad person gay, they are calling gay people bad
    I am in no way calling gay people bad, as karma stated. I guess it might've come across that way because I said "Sarcasm aside" and then started being sarcastic again with the "mansex" remark. My bad/apologies. Being sarcastic is often 2nd nature with me.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Maledict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by karma militia View Post
    Took me a while to figure out what you were trying to say here.

You're implying that Rabbi Satan is a bad person because he is saying Shirvill (...who thinks other people are bad because they are gay)... is actually gay himself. Meaning you are essentially saying that if someone calls a bad person gay, they are calling gay people bad (or maybe that is what you are accusing Rabbi of... ARG! logic loop! all crew to the escape pods!). It's a common mistake of logic with profound complications. Please remember; correlation does not equal causation.

...Or i totally misunderstood your intended meaning.

...Orrr, you were making a joke (lol btw )
    A little of everything, I guess

My issue was with speaking out against predjuice while+by propagating a stereotype.

But I don't think Rabbi Satan is a bad person. I just wanted to get the sarcastic tone of the OP out of the way, so that the deserved thrashing of the Asst. Attorney General might truly and unhindered begin!
    In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    You're all losing focus anyway. The point of this squable isn't to decipher the motivations or personal fetishes of Mr. Shirvell. I don't give a flying fuck what he's attracted to, or why he doesn't like gays in his school. The important question now is, is Chris Armstrong going to band together a ragtag team of politically incorrect college geeks, book George Clinton, and have a monumental party that earns enough cash to keep the frat house running? Or is he going to jump off a bridge like that kid at Rutgers did just this week.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    I didn't know grown men could act so childish. Alert the man police, he's getting his dick revoked.

Thanks
    No, let him keep that, just shave his pubes. We can use 'em to add to whatever art Black Spot's been harping on lately.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,346 Times in 1,120 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    No, let him keep that, just shave his pubes. We can use 'em to add to whatever art Black Spot's been harping on lately.
    Haven't been on the forums lately + that choice of words = I can only imagine a harp with pubes for strings.

Sorry.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Rainville For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't think that's Godwin's law.

Godwin's law is an argument that goes out of proportion and likelihood of Hitler or Nazis being mention rises.

I think you meant to say its a reduction to Hitler. But it more of an Ad hominem mix in with another fallacy.

Sarcasm and hyperbole aside, it's obvious that this guy is wanting the gay mansex himself, and is in deep, deep deep denial about it.
    The logic (opinion) is still wrong.

For example,

X believes bestiality is wrong.
    The opposition says that X is in denial...
    Therefore, The claim of X is False. ( Double negative, Therefore, Bestiality, in the example, is right)

X = Mr. X
    b = Bestiality
    O = opposition

X say B is wrong.
    O Attacks X.
    Therefore X's claim is false.

Textbook: Ad Hominem Fallacy
    *** Sketchbook and other stuff ***

Flashback's SB

Anatomy Atlas

Digital Galleries

Visit & Support:
    http://www.ctrlpaint.com/

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    "flagrant sexual promiscuity"
    He's never been to college has he?
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

20. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabbi Satan View Post
    ...I don't quite follow?

The point I was trying to make was that this guy is a hypocrite for, on one hand, lambasting gays for their "radical homosexual agenda", whilst probably being gay himself...
    Ahh the radical homosexual agenda; I often imagine it as a magenta indigo blend and covered in rhinestones.
    Follow Me! | DeviantART | Twitter

22. The Following User Says Thank You to sanya For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,066 Posts
    No, that's the gay itinerary.
    "Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

Thanks
    Not sure I follow the simple 'homophobe = homosexual' concept, but the fact he's taking some sort of manic delight in exposing salacious details about 'seductions' and 'orgies' does seem a little creepy.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    Ahh the radical homosexual agenda; I often imagine it as a magenta indigo blend and covered in rhinestones.
    the only thing i can picture is them breaking into people's houses and re-decorating them.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Carnifex For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sanya View Post
    I always imagine this guy as the devious mastermind of the 'radical homosexual agenda' the american media seems so worried about...

Or maybe Heman.

Anyway...

...Shirvell is a fuckwit, case closed.
    Last edited by karma militia; September 30th, 2010 at 03:14 PM.

Thanks
    ^ Yet another stereotype. Not all lesbians are that hot, nor do they make out in bikinis for a straight male's visual pleasure. It's usually gullible straight college girls who are either dared to do it(to show off for males), or they're experimenting. Sorry to burst the bubble of fun.

I have another stereotype to break as well. I have a openly gay family member, and he is not considerate, sensitive, or feminine as is the popular tripe portrayed in media of many kinds. He only has a heart when it's convenient, and often overlooks the struggles of his immediate family. He acts as if he's done nothing wrong, possibly believes it too. He acts as if he's entitled to certain things without even saying a fucking word.

I've met many kind people in my life, both gay and straight. He isn't one of those people.

29. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aleio For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Stereotypes are narrowminded, but from my own experience, I would much rather have my son be taken care of by any of the gay people I've met than any of the queerbashing homophobes I've come across. Every gay person I've befriended at college, grad school, and in life has been much more considerate, intelligent, temperate, and wise than the majority of straight men I've come across.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to TASmith For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by FyreWire View Post
    ^ Yet another stereotype. Not all lesbians are that hot, nor do they make out in bikinis for a straight male's visual pleasure. It's usually gullible straight college girls who are either dared to do it(to show off for males), or they're experimenting. Sorry to burst the bubble of fun.
    Lies! Lieeees!

Seriously though, i shared a house with 3 lesbians for a year (a couple and their friend), I have a very good idea what they are like. They are just 'people', they come in all shapes and sizes and in all personalities. If they share anything in common, it's usually that they had a tough time growing up because of dickweeds like this Shirvell.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to karma militia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    karma militia, yeah, I agree with you.
    A couple years ago, I had neighbors who were lesbians. They were some of the nicest neighbors you could ask for. Wonderful people, I still miss them.

The latest story about the Rutgers student who committed suicide upsets me. It's bad enough that college can be rough at times with the workloads, but to have your personal moments broadcast on the internet... I really have a serious problem with people who think its fun to do this to people. Shows they haven't matured much, and sadly someone else ended up paying for it. I believe they should definitely be held responsible for their actions. I can't stand people like that. T_T

Thanks
    Thanked 6,738 Times in 4,642 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    I don't think his would celebrate art of the human persona with his pubes. Now with Conceptual Art, flushing his down the loo might be considered as high art that I might appreciate.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts

The latest story about the Rutgers student who committed suicide upsets me. It's bad enough that college can be rough at times with the workloads, but to have your personal moments broadcast on the internet... I really have a serious problem with people who think its fun to do this to people. Shows they haven't matured much, and sadly someone else ended up paying for it. I believe they should definitely be held responsible for their actions. I can't stand people like that. T_T
    yeah I think his roommate should be charged, but the girl being charged seems odd, as she wasn't technically an accomplice. I guess she didn't make any effort to stop her friend though, so does that still make her accountable?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,738 Times in 4,642 Posts

Thanks
    I don't think it's a stereotype; it's not that people think that lesbians are more attractive than average, or more likely than average to make out while in their underclothing, it's just that it's that subset of the lesbian population that straight males particularly like to look at. Same deal as with straight women.
    Last edited by Meloncov; October 1st, 2010 at 11:15 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sulphur View Post
    Am I the only person that believes that to round people up into 3 sexuality groups (gay, straight, bi) is just as stupid as trying to make 3 different personality groups?
    Well, either you openly like guys, girls, or both... so the 3 titles seem pretty appropriate. Whereas personalities are so varied and layered that they're practically impossible to identify.

As for everyone being bi... not really. I mean, I can appreciate a good looking dude and all, but the majority of guys out there aren't going to act on that.

Thanks
    The gay issue is becoming a real drag. What is the question?

Bi= Buy me something and I might get sexual.
    Gay= Wanna trade licks?
    Straight= Its time to settle down, who wants kids?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    hahahaha XD

Although I can see where they would want to make some extra effort though since they're more likely to be judged by people, same as women have had (and sometimes still do) to work harder than guys to advance their careers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast