Art: 'Orrery'

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 'Orrery'

Thanks
    Thanked 1,923 Times in 757 Posts
    Follows
    Following

'Orrery'

I would be interested to know how this new painting of mine is being interpreted by you guys and gals without me saying too much about it - other than that its title is 'Orrery'.
    By way of thanks I have included a sheet showing the progress of the painting including early studies and scribbles.

It is painted in acrylic on canvas and measures 70cm x 90cm.

Name:  Orrery.jpg
Views: 1211
Size:  430.0 KB

And the studies etc:

Name:  Orrery progress sheet post.jpg
Views: 1224
Size:  378.9 KB

From Gegarin's point of view
    http://www.chrisbennettartist.co.uk/
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool piece, how I'm interpreting it is the differing views of generations. The young are in their acension and looking to the future, while the elder generation look back to their past the more they diminish.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hmmm, FIrst of all, welcome back to the forum Mr. Bennett, Its fun to see yet another painting of yours here.
    SEcondly bravo for such a beautiful and well composed painting.
    This painting is hard to interpret in words me thinks, but let me give it a try.
    Firstly the two figures are contrasting, the one on the left might just the pivot for the kinetic energy while the right figure is the potential energy, just look how solidly shes standing, the same can be said for the spheres(instruments in this context), the shape and play come more so from the left, yet the internal structure is on the right.

But to me its about harmony and the divide between two ends of spectrum. Even though the right side contains the skeletal structure of the composition/instrument, it is being played to life more so by the left side, throuch various shapes and motions the left and right side connect, the connection seems strongest around the oval of the table/platform for the instrument.

Or they just maybe going round the table. Thats my way of interpreting the right figure's movement towards the exit of the painting. It feels like an unregulated cycle of things that take place.

AT the most basic level for me, its the harmonious cycle between two ends of spectrum(Potential and kinetic energy in this case) that this painting seems to symbolize.

Or I am just rambling.

Hmmmmm.....
    lovely painting nonetheless.

Thanks for such an awesome breakfast treat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pearce9 Many thanks for that - The painting is certainly about cycles, but it never occured to me to see it as something to do with the stages of life. Very interesting interpretation.

bhanu No, you are not rambling at all - the potential/kinetic thing is very interesting since the business of gravity is deep inside the scheme of things here with its reference to orbiting planets. And thanks very much for your well considered feedback Mr Bhanu - I'm glad my picture, full of melancholy english twilight put you in good spirits to enjoy your breakfast in the luminous Indian morning sunshine!

I'll not say more about this picture in case any one else is kind enough to write a couple of lines about what the painting is about for them......though judging by the response so far I'm not holding my breath.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely painting, I really enjoyed watching your progress.
    My intepretation is not so 'deep'. I see two sisters in a room. I imagine they're not supposed to be there. They both have bare feet because they don't want to make too much noise. One of the sisters want to go away and she's gesturing to the other sister to come along too. But she's hesitating.. Maybe she's fascinated by the orrery, or she want to put the planets back where they were. Or maybe they've been playing with it and managed to destroy it and now they need to go before they're discovered. In the past times, astronomy was not a subject females were supposed to study...
    Might be dumb, but that's what I see in your painting.

--------------------------------
    www.sandrasteffensen.com

*my art on conceptart*

Thanks
    Thanked 1,440 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    This thread is too good to go unnoticed. I just wish more people see it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am stupid but let's see...

See how the table disappears behind the right girl? She is going towards to the abstracted areas in life. Art, religion, philosophy, intuition etc. These are old values and her stance further solidified by her dress. The left girl is modern and she is literally holding on to reality by touching the solid ball on the table. Her
    dress is contemporary. Her pursuit to put down older values is aggressive but not based on a truly solid footing, which is made clear by the one ball on the abstract plane left to her.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What does the pose of the girl on the right mean, if anything?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SandraKristin That's a wonderful take on my painting Sandra. Although these things were not on my mind when making the picture, your interpretation certainly rings 'true' in that much of my imaginary world seems to concern itself with ambiguity and your interior/exterior reading goes together with my actual concern of day/night ambiguity here. However, your interpretation is also 'true' in that my imaginary world seems so often to be about some kind of fantastical play or game between the real and the ideal.....as this earlier painting of mine 'All on a Summer's Day' demonstrates:

Name:  All on a Summer's Day (large version).jpg
Views: 279
Size:  383.9 KB

Taneli These things were certainly not what I was consciously thinking about when putting this painting together, but they are fascinatingly connected to what I was just saying to Sandra above. So many thanks for your input Taneli.

JaneMag Many thanks for your encouragement Jane.

CuriousJoe8 Well Joe, here I'll have to give a little away. I'm thinking a little of night and day, summer and winter etc - the right hand girl's gesture is something to do with both her being concerned at the new arrival but also is to be read as describing the separation point between one thing and another. For instance, notice how the 'shadow' the hand creates continues into the landscape itself, which is also ambiguous in being both night and day at the same time.....

Last edited by Chris Bennett; October 9th, 2010 at 12:34 PM.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Bennett For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.