Thanks

Parental support with art?

Many educated people say that a child's art abilites do not progress if they're not encouraged to draw. Do you think this is true? Were your parents supportive of your art? Did they just not care or did they actually poke fun at you about it?

My mom just didn't care about my art. She didn't even know that I was decent at it until about 1/2 a year ago when she stumbled upon my sketchbook. My dad would actually poke fun at me about it. I'd always try to impress him with my drawings. He'd aways say that the'd hang them up at work. But, I found a couple of them in the trash. So I doubt any of them were actually hung up. I remember one time I drew a picture of the hills out side. With the sun setting between them. I showed my dad and my stepmom at the dinner table. They had some friends over (they always had these stupid friends over to drink after church. They'd alway stop at the ABC store after church. Idiotic huh?) for dinner and to have some drinks. My dad said "Whats this? Is that shit coming out of a asshole? Ha ha ha!" Everyone at the table laughed at my drawing. Later on that night, my stepmother told me to give he a kiss before leaving. I said something like "No! I know what you think of me. You all think I'm dumb!" I went and jumped into the pool because my dad was chasing me and yelling at me. I mean, I must have the most ignorant parents. Like I said, my mom didn't even notice until 1/2 a year ago. The only reason why she cares is because she thinks that she can get money from them. I really don't know how this theory is true. My parents were the complete opposite supportive and encouraging. Ha ha, get this, my dad asked a few months ago for me to draw something for him. Like, he cares now! Yeah right, he won't even help pay for my college or anything. Even though he made a $20,000 "bonus" at work. Which was actually stolen money from work. He got fired from work and may be put in jail and sued for all that money back.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I see you are venting off
    only thing I can say is take it easy. try to be calm. time changes everything. leave it to its hands..
    and thats all..

Thanks
    Yeah. I just found out that what happend with my dad. It really pisses me off. I mean, the stole that money, which is horrible in the first place. But, he didn't even think about helping paying for my sister's tuition for with. He bought his girlfriend a 10,000 diamond ring. And he says he can't help me with college? I swear, I could just move away from home and not look back. Thats why I hope to go to Ringling. In florda. Start from there, you know. Without the burden of bailing my parents out of whatever the hell they'll get themselves into.

Thanks
    In fact I just realised that I CAN say more
    My mother especially hated me drawing. She thought that it was stupid, vain and immoral to boot. She kept on throwing my drawings to garbage. 5-6 years ago se dumped my precioussss comic book archive to garbage which took a really really hard effort to create. Together with my some better drawings over the years. We fought. Not physically of course. But the refrigerator and kitchen table were not happy about the outcome either. And I left home that day. Didnt come back for a week. Not a good thing mind you. But I just did. Then things took a little itsie bitsie easier. After I started making some money out of it, and people telling my mother how good I was at what I did she was surprised and glad. Now she is happy. And I dont hate her. I pity her old self for her ignorance. But truly, she wanted my own good in her own mind. And its all cool now.

Your parents probably think of child as a different thing than human. When you grow up then you are taken serious. That is wrong of course. But be sure that its not a big deal. If you want some fresh air, I would advice you to ask an art teacher, or some similar person to talk to your parents about your incredible devotion and understanding of art it WILL work..
    and thats all..

Thanks
    that... money thing is really annoying.
    and thats all..

Thanks
    Well this post brings back some hard memories for me. My dad died when I was 13, so I didn't get any encouragement there. I don't actually know if he would have encouraged me or not. My mother on the other hand, definitely discouraged me. Always saying "what do you want to do a dumb thing like that for? It won't get you anywhere!" And calling me a "stupid, useless kid" I was, all of my life, and still am a "stupid, useless kid," to her. I tried most of my life to please her and live up to her expectations. You know what? I never did and finally gave up when I hit my mid-forties.

Over the years I've done the art when I could. In between having kids, jobs, etc. I could never afford artschool, so learnt on my own. Now the kids are grown up and moved on with their lives and I have time to do what I love best. And I am taking full advantage of it. Who knows, if my mother had encouraged me, I might have been a well-known artist by now. Or if I had not let her control my life so much, I might have been a better artist than I am now.
    I now regret not having pursued art more fully when I was younger.
    SO..........my advice to you is: If you love art and it's what you want to do with your life, GO FOR IT! If you have the chance to get into university, GO FOR THAT ALSO! It will be hard, especially with your family not supporting you, and you will probably have to take a job to support yourself while learning, BUT IT WILL BE WORTH IT. And don't let your familys' comments get to you. It is up to you in the end, what direction your life will take. Try not to have any large regrets at the end of it. And remember, WHERE THERE'S A WILL, THERE'S A WAY. Good luck.:chug:
    Art gives me a life of extreme challenge, frustration, accomplishment and contentment. Nothing less will do!

Thanks
    nikia +1
    and thats all..

Thanks
    My parents don't understand it. My mom thinks it's great (always showing her friends and co-workers), but my dad seriously just wants me to go into business so I can earn real money, though he's certainly happy with me getting money for art-related stuff. He's OK with me being an artist, but sometimes I have to fight tooth and nail in order to proceed. For instance, this week I have spring break and I wanted to bring home my really nice lamp so I could get some nice soft-light action going on. My dad thought that any lamp would do, and he didn't even understand why I wanted to bring home my drawing board.

It's confusing for everyone, but I think they're getting it.

...as I'm typing this out, I'm really starting to realize that art is a lifestyle. It's just something you live and breathe, and for other people it's hard to grasp. Hopefully, one day your parents will grasp that, Anarchy, but if they don't, no worries. It's your life, and in the end you're still holding the reins.

Thanks
    My parents use to forbid me to draw and took my supplies away.. It had good intentions since I was drawing from 8am to 3am and perhaps neglecting other parts of my life.
    Reguardless, many parents think the only avenue possible for their kid going into art is ending up as a dead-end job as an art teacher crumbling under the tuition fees.
    I guess the best thing to do is be patient and educate ppl.

Nowadays, my mother stopped painting after looking at some of my stuff (which is a shame, I try to get her going into it again), my father couldn't care less but they're both happy that I have a "situation" (even tho I'm actually an art- )
    Did I mention I ran off from home never to come back ? No ? oups That's how it is when you really badly want to make something out of yourself. If someone/something is poisoning you or stopping your progress, run forward and aim for your goals.

Aline, blahblahblah

Thanks
    Seems I was on the lucky side of life:

My mom encouraged me to draw and paint as long as I can remember. One of the best memories of my earliest childhood (3-6) are me and my mom drawing together: Ladybugs, butterflies, snails with multi-colored shells (word?), ducks on ponds, houses, princesses and so on. As I can't remember my dad's reactions I think he was quite indifferent then.

I loved to draw while at primary school and spent hours doing so. When I went to grammar school I still loved to draw and was encouraged by my mom. When I was 13 I had the idea to give her a Schmincke watercolor set as a birthday present (it cost a fortune of my pocket money) and she started painting again, too! While I was preparing for art school, my mom did a tele-learning art course and by the time I was 18/19 she was giving lectures in watercolor drawing.

This resulted in me becoming a good cook... because she always "forgot" to cook on Sundays (which drove my dad crazy).

However, I failed to get into art school and did something completely different - I studied English, Archaeology and Pre-History. After my exams I got into marketing and had some really busy 10 years where I didn't think of drawing (my mom continued, though, switched to oils as well). Then, in late summer of 2000 I felt the urge to draw again. And guess what! I started with Mark Kistlers Drawing in 3d. Anyone here knows Mark Kistler? I think he has an art show on TV for children. Soon that wasn't enough for me and I wanted to draw a story of my partner as a comic. Of course, mom encouraged me, dad was at least interested and by now he's even very proud of my mum's paintings (he took over cooking... )

Anyway, I realized that I would only be able to draw that comic if I really learned to draw - and that's the path I'm still on. Both my parents encourage me, supply me with art materials for Xmas or birthday and so do my partner and his parents and even his grandfather. Though I make many mistakes and they point them out to me they all admire what I learned those past three and a half years. But - as I said at the beginning - seems like I am on the lucky side of life (at least with regard to art).

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    I've never shown any of my art to my family, and don't really plan to. In fact, I won't even draw in front of them. They think I just mess around all day because I never let them see me doing any work. Why do I do this? Well, I don't really know.. I have no problem letting random people see my work, but I don't feel at all comfertable with my parents seeing my work. Oh well.

Thanks
    Both my parent's were incredibly supportive of my art. They both critiqued differently though, which was funny. My mom would always gloat over my artwork, my dad would honestly be up front with me about it and tell me this or that looked like shit, work on it, which I loved both. One boosted the ego when I needed it, the other brought me back to Earth. The ying and the yang.

Both are incredibly proud now of how much my art has grown, so I feel very fortunate.

Thanks
    being brought up in a dysfunctional, suffocating monoparental environment wasn't particularly conducive to creating art, so the only place i felt safe to create was at school. then when she told me that i couldn't go to art college and had to get a proper job because she wanted rent, it crushed me beyond belief. i couldn't work it out, seeing as she used to be a designer and art director herself. so after a 6 months as a trainee mechanic and a few years as a labourer, i'd reached critical mass.

then one day i got back from a particularly miserable hard day on a cold building site and she just came out and said "maybe i should let you go to college after all". i couldn't believe it. i went to the college that week to sign up. did the foundation course, which led into graphic design which i work in today. i think she just gave in under the psychological pressure and hatred in the end.

i went into graphic design specifically because she said that i couldn't do it and also it was the only art-based thing that i thought i could do that would earn me enough money to move out. maybe if i hadn't been blinded and driven by rage i would have gone on to study fine art and illustration instead. but now that i'm drawing again, there's a kind of unspoken rule that she leaves me alone and i keep my art to myself.

it's true what nikia said "where there's a will, there's a way'. it was the belief that i'd eventually get to go college that kept me going i think.
    Throughout your life advance daily,
    becoming more skillful than yesterday,
    more skillful than today. This is never ending.

Hagakure: Book of the Samurai {Chapter One}

Thanks
    I have never been encouraged to draw, beyond a "Thats nice" comment on a drawing or something. Didn't mean much really, I still like drawing, and I do it.

And good luck Anarchy. Hope everything works out.

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    I think I'm pretty lucky in that respect. My mother and stepfather always did (and still do, now that I'm taking a bachelor of fine arts in university, which they're paying for almost entirely so I can get out without debt) buy me all the art supplies I needed/wanted. Boxes upon boxes of paper... they bought it in bulk . My brother and I would go through it *way* too fast! I can say for certain that without their encouragement, I wouldn't be where I am today.

Likewise, my innate talent for it comes from my mother... she's pretty darn good with watercolours and enjoys toll painting. I think she could improve if she would just do it more, and maybe even make a bit of money at it. Her parents never really encouraged her in art. It makes me kinda sad, really She doesn't seem to have the desire anymore.

And a lot of people tell me that they were discouraged as children by parents and teachers about art. They all could've been really good if those people had just given a few kind words.
    Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    my parents were supportive but they only saw art as a hobby and didnt think there was a career in it. they didnt want me to go to an art school after highschool and sort of forced me to go a liberal arts college. after trying every major in the school, i found out that i suck at everthing except art. i found that out 2nd semester, junior year(too late to transfer). so now i m an art major in a liberal arts school which is pretty bad since no one really takes art seriously except the professors and a few students. i cant wait to graduate and get out of this shitty school.
    with some convincing, i showed my parents there is a carreer in art and they are fairly supportive. they like to brag about how great an artist i am to there friends but constantly critisize me about my carreer choice. but i m ok with that. i get to do what i love.

Thanks
    And a lot of people tell me that they were discouraged as children by parents and teachers about art. They all could've been really good if those people had just given a few kind words.
    i think you get to the point where you realise that you have to give yourself those few kind words and encourage yourself every day. and also refusing to entertain people in your life who trample on yours and others dreams.
    Throughout your life advance daily,
    becoming more skillful than yesterday,
    more skillful than today. This is never ending.

Hagakure: Book of the Samurai {Chapter One}

Thanks

My mother went to art school so she was always very supprtive when it came to having me spend time creating art. Father on the other hand, went to a tech school; so he didn't garner much interest in anything I did. I think my step mom called my drawings "satanic" once.. ha, those were the days. I think when I chose to go to art school, my dad told my mother behind back "He didn't choose a real college" or something along those lines. Of course now that I get paid to make it all, they are suddenly much nicer and interested in what I am painting or modeling. :ahha:

Thanks
    well, as i child my father used to paint lots. i didn't appreciate it much then because i didn't understand.. so i tried most thing as a small child but i never really got caught up into it. when the years went bby my father didn't paint as much anymore. i didn't really think about that either because i still wasn't into dawing or painting. Then my father stopped completely pursuing a new education. this is when i got my eyes opened about drawing, so i was hooked on that for a year this is when i was 9. during all of this time it was my father who encouraged me to try things and let my paint oils on canvas and stuff when i turned 10 my parents divorced and i didn't meet my father alot. since it was 1000 km from where my mother lived. He didn't give us any support whatsoever. he got into partying and stuf (he was now something like 38 years old). From the time i got into drawing at 9 i have been not really interested but not bored by it either. but nothing way near good. everything just plain wrong and so on. When i turned 18 about a year ago i got into it for real. So after 7 years of not seeing alot of my father he moved to the same city as us. And now he was changed. he wasn't generous with his time. sure he could give you some money sometimes but he always made you feel guilty for it. he wouldn't give you a ride anywhere because the bus was cheaper but took 1 hour longer. His girlfriends (yes he is quite a man for getting lots of girls) he treats like queens, doing everything for them including things that really cost money. shortly after turning 18 i moved in with him since i couldn't stand my sister. My father works lots of nights and he still ikes partying so i got the appartment pretyy much to myself some periods. but still it sucks not feeling loved by your father. It feels like you are a burden. The strange thing though is that he is supporting me alot in my artwork, always asking how it is going, and in recent days he has started talking about maybe taking up painting again. i would love that. maybe then he will take some time for me. and we could do things that we haven't done when i was a kid when they should be done.. My mother on the other hand hasn't supported my artwork at all, until after this christmas. She was totally against me wanting to do something with art. but she has been the loving parent, the one always caring for you and helping you. but after christmas when i gave my sister a 15 min sketch of her son i have been the hero of my mother.. so now she is all for me pursuing a career in art. my father thinks that you can't gain money from getting an education in art quite paradox, don't you think? did i mention that for me my dad is one of my favorit artists zorn is another along with van gogh. that might tell you how i feel about my fathers paintings.

what a nice thread to just rant on about how miserable you are ;D

don't mind the spelling and all of that

Thanks
    my parents were always real supportive of my drawing... except when it came to life drawing... something i could still us more of... but despite their support, i don't think they ever thought i could make a living with it until recently, when i went away to college...

part of that mindset now, with them, may be because my degree well be a Bachelor of SCIENCE in DESIGN as opposed to Bachelar of ART... funny how a couple of words could make a difference in my parents' opinion...

I think the fact that i am also going more the route of 3D modeling/animation for film... that may have something to do with it too...

but they have, for the most part, always encouraged me... especially to stive to be the best at whatever i do... and to not worry if i am not

Thanks
    My parents often go to art exhibitions, very often.
    They see my drawings, which mostly contain robots and such stuff...
    So they wouldn't consider me as an artist, neither would I do.
    But they know I can be creative, no only in drawing but in everyday life, and that's something they're proud of.

I kinda feel sorry for the ignorant parents some of you mentioned.
    My parents see drawing and painting as a common education, likely to music or literature. And luckily, they're fascinated by art like I am.

Thanks
    my parents always encouraged me at whatever I pursued....first it was to be an archaeoloigist or paleontologist....then it was a computer programmer.....and now, I kinda wanna be a bunch of different things, but they're all creative jobs, so essentially I wanna be an artist for a carreer.
    They think it's great.....my dad's happy just as long as I don't end up in a job like him(construction) where you just abuse your body all day only to spend the evening resting/recovering only to start all over again the next day.
    ....and my mom just wants me to do something creative.

...and it's cool, cuz they're pretty much exactly the same as Blackhawk's parents....mom built the ego, dad brings me back down to earth with solid critique.

it's awesome.

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    My parents know I draw, they never stopped me even though my academic results were a mess. They didn't encourage me either, but they know being bad in schoolwork didn't come from the fact that I draw, rather because I was just plain lazy.

At 16 I decided to try and get into a local design college, results were terrible so I didn;t stand a chance. The next year at 17, I tried with another arts college, got in, the rest is history. Thru all these, my parents didn't support, or deny me the chance to an Arts education.

Since graduation and completing my mandatory military service, I've been making enough to support myself and contribute a few hundred dollars each month to the family. My parent's know I'm doing alright so they don't really bother.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.