George Bridgman's Complete guide to drawing from life not recommended?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

George Bridgman's Complete guide to drawing from life not recommended?

Ive been reading that its a very messy book as it isn't arrange by bridgman himself. Many have been recommending reading 'Life Drawings' first (but i can't find it anywhere) and buying from the net isn't an option for me anymore...
    Ive found 2 bookstores who are about to order it (maybe in 2 weeks time)
    Should i buy it? will i learn from it? I don't want to waste my savings ;-;...

Hi ! Take a peek in my sketch book?My Sketchbook
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,159 Times in 1,706 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    There are 6 books compiled inside the one to which you refer. "Life Drawing" is one of the six.

At least Icarus tried!

My Process: Dead Rider Graphic Novel (Dark Horse Comics) plus oil paintings, pencils and other goodies:
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=101106

My "Smilechild" Music. Plus a medley of Commercial Music Cues and a Folksy Jingle!:
    http://www.myspace.com/kevferrara

4. The Following User Says Thank You to kev ferrara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are all the pages /contents of Life Drawing in Complete guide? if so, thats completely awesome and ill buy it asap!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,209 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I haven't seen the separate books myself, but I've heard that things might be arranged a bit differently in them as compared to The Complete Guide. I think the Complete Guide is good enough, but I would recommend using a different book as well. As you said, the material is a bit scattered, and Bridgman's approach is a lot about the big masses and blocky form (which is very very important - that's why I would recommend his book), but if you want to learn anatomy muscle bu muscle, he might be a handful. I would recommend Steven Rogers Peck's book Atlas of Anatomy for the Artist as a supplement. It's a good mix between clear anatomical drawings and more sketchy, blocky drawings. There are a lot of different books out there, of course. But these are the ones I have, and I use them together with my mirror and my art books to try to figure out as much as I can on my own. I think it's a good idea to look at artists from art history that are working in a very realistic or academic way, like Leighton or Caravaggio, and see how they saw the forms and muscles.

And as far as money goes... A Christmas wish list is your friend...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome yes. Really great to work with...err... no.

I find it better to have one of the smaller books in front me when I draw. Having a book with so many pages makes it uncomfortable to use it in front of you to draw from.

Plus, there are some images upside down in the complete guide

9. The Following User Says Thank You to LostFayth For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,273 Times in 887 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Get Bridgman's "Life Drawing" from the bookstore-- probably set you back 7 or 8 bucks.

Download "Constructive Anatomy" from one of the various free download sites you can Google. (The "Complete Guide" is available for free download as well).

For a few extra bucks, you can buy "Life Drawing" in a 3 book box set which includes Bridgman's book on Heads and his Book Of 100 Hands.

The "Complete Guide" is an editorial mess-- it destroys the visual organization of "Life Drawing" and edits out images to the detriment of the reader. Plus, it destroys the conciseness of "Constructive Anatomy" by mooshing in a bunch of that "Human Machine" stuff and, again, editing OUT stuff from the original smaller book.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Kamber Parrk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Complete Guide is a total mess. Even though Bridgeman's sketches are very informative, it makes for a horrible reading experience. It also requires you to know alot of medical terms too, but slowly you can get your head around that.

I'm much much more comfortable with Andrew Loomis's ebooks as well as Burne Hogarths collection.

Don't bother looking at my sketchbook. I haven't updated that thing in years. :/

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MiladThaha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ooohhh,,, i dont know what to do... so many different views. many are opposing ;-; ;-;.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I have the Complete Guide, and it's a good book. There's a lot there if you're inclined to cherry pick a bit, but it's hard to simply go through from beginning to end.

I think if I were to recommend a Bridgeman book, it'd be Constructive Anatomy instead. It's a bit more organized.

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Nezumi Works For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    someone said that i should do life drawings first as it foccuses on the whole figure since life drawings**** is **in** complete guide ...... and concstructive anatomy explains anatomy by parts. soo.... Anyway thanks for all your help guys. I'd probably buy it since it's the only book i've found recommended by you guys at our bookstores. Better to have one than none at all right?
    Thank you guys! if you'd like to to add more info in this thread ~ go ahead maybe some aspiring artists needs it! ^-^

Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Yes that's correct, go with http://amzn.com/0486227103 Life Drawing first.

Now long ago I bought Constructive Anatomy, http://amzn.com/0486211045 First, and realized it was parts of a whole.

Life Drawing teaches you the whole which is more important, then focus on the details ie individual parts of anatomy. Which is exactly the method you should go for in drawing in general. Big picture first, details later.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 8