Sketchbook: The Path of Madis
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: The Path of Madis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile The Path of Madis

Hello Everyone!

I am 20 years old, my name is Madis and currently in my 2nd year in Business Administration (Tallinn University of Technology). I am from Estonia, Tallinn. I have been really into martial arts, especially judo and wushu. Later I got into driving go-karts and motocross. I started playing the guitar when I was 16 and started drawing at the age of 18.

I started drawing a bit more than a year ago, but I have been very lazy on that side. I took some live drawing classes and soon after that found a a drawing forum, which was dedicated to photo realism and using grid lines. That is a nice start I had there and I still visit that forum. Because of this the next few drawings I made were done with the help of grid lines.

In the middle of My 1st year in Business Administration I almost quit it to go to Estonian Academy of Arts. Obviously in the end I didn't do that. Though I took a 1,5 month course of live drawing there too. Also by then I started my little A3 sketchbook.

I was really into drawing for 3-4 months back then and boom, for some off reason I stopped. I have been lurking this forum for the past week, read some tutorials, facts for new people. I even downloaded about 20 PDF books. Loomis, Bridgman, Hogarth for anatomy studies and some more.

I have decided that I will also get seriously back into drawing and that's why I joined this forum and created this sketchbook. I have saved/photographed all my work since now. I will post some of them and later I will upload my sketchbook pages and the drawings done in the Arts Academy pre-course.

My goal here is to improve in absolutely every aspect of drawing (no painting interests currently), so because of that I am kindly asking all of You honored members of CA to give me advice and support on my dedicated path. I have gained a lot of inspiration seeing people really focus and achieve superb results - with hard work - I'm aware of that.

So, please give me some advice considering which anatomy book to start with, which composition book, which perspective books. What else should I start with?

I will now upload some of my drawings done so far.
    The 2 still life's of bottles and the half-skeleton were done in the first live drawing class. The car, tiger and the worse girl portrait were done at home, from photo, no grid lines. The baby and the other girl portrait were done at home from photo with grid lines and the two colored pieces also at home from photo with grid lines.

Attached Images Attached Images                    
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a great place to improve! I really like the tiger and the portrait underneath it. The first 2 drawings seem to have some perspective issues (not my stong point either). There's a good tutorial here for that: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...84#post1485584 \
    Keep posting. Find some artists that seem to know what they are doing and post in their sketchbooks and they will usually return the favor. The advice I've gotten on this forum has helped me a lot.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to NicG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

Thank You for stopping by and of course for the encouragement and the link. I also have a "perspective for beginners" book next to my bed in my native language (estonian). I think that tomorrow evening I will be able to post my other drawings and sketchbook pages.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Pretty good stuff. You seem to have a decent understanding of the basics. You should pay more attention to structure. Relate everything you draw to simple forms to avoid the ugly distortions that you get when you're just focusing on outlines. Keep it up!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello!

fantasyartist: Thank You!

Okay, now these next drawings are the ones i made in the live course in Estonias Arts Academy. They are all A1 size in real life, so their pretty big. I am sorry that the photos are such poor quality
    Please give me some tips and critique

Name:  pilt01.jpg
Views: 286
Size:  28.8 KB

Name:  pilt02.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  32.6 KB

Name:  pilt03.jpg
Views: 300
Size:  28.3 KB

Name:  pilt04.jpg
Views: 0
Size:  24.9 KB

Name:  pilt30.jpg
Views: 290
Size:  159.2 KB

Name:  pilt31.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  161.9 KB

Name:  pilt05.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  26.8 KB

Name:  pilt06.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  30.3 KB

Name:  pilt07.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  171.4 KB

Name:  pilt08.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  154.5 KB

Name:  pilt09.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  153.1 KB

Name:  pilt10.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  111.3 KB

Name:  pilt11.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  144.4 KB

Critique

Last edited by MadisE; October 3rd, 2010 at 06:49 AM.
    My SB: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...10#post2880210 - I'm a beginner, so please have a look

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again!

Posting more of my drawings
    The first one is a car WIP, it is/was done with the help of grid lines. Following that there are my sketchbook pages and the Perspective 101 course assignments I did thanks to Seedling the author and NicG for the link.

I am now asking you all what should I do? What should I practice? Which anatomy book to start with? I have Loomis, Bridgman, Hogarth. Should I start with something else? Looking for guidelines Thank You in advance!!!

The car is A2, other pages are A3.

Best wishes,

Madis

Name:  pilt12.jpg
Views: 288
Size:  180.9 KB

Name:  pilt13.jpg
Size:  186.0 KB

Name:  pilt14.jpg
Size:  191.1 KB

Name:  pilt15.jpg
Views: 280
Size:  188.4 KB

Name:  pilt16.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  206.7 KB

Name:  pilt17.jpg
Views: 279
Size:  187.0 KB

Name:  pilt18.jpg
Views: 281
Size:  184.2 KB

Name:  pilt19.jpg
Views: 274
Size:  192.6 KB

Name:  pilt20.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  173.0 KB

Name:  pilt21.jpg
Views: 278
Size:  224.2 KB

Name:  pilt22.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  236.5 KB

Name:  pilt23.jpg
Views: 275
Size:  226.5 KB

Name:  pilt24.jpg
Views: 276
Size:  200.1 KB

Name:  pilt25.jpg
Views: 277
Size:  200.8 KB

Name:  pilt26.jpg
Views: 267
Size:  159.6 KB

Name:  pilt27.jpg
Views: 264
Size:  184.1 KB

Name:  pilt28.jpg
Views: 263
Size:  196.2 KB

Name:  pilt29.jpg
Views: 268
Size:  195.6 KB

Last edited by MadisE; September 30th, 2010 at 02:50 PM.
    My SB: http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...10#post2880210 - I'm a beginner, so please have a look

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hello again!

I'm posting some updates. Here are two fast charcoal on brown paper sketches, one fast car sketch (imagination) and a still life with a medium, which name I don't know in English. It's like black ink, but can be mixed with water for lighter values.

I'm still looking for critique, comments and advice and what books should I go for (look upper posts).

Looking forward to Your response,

Madis

Name:  pildike01.JPG
Views: 264
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  pildike03.JPG
Views: 259
Size:  44.7 KB

Name:  pildike02.JPG
Views: 253
Size:  35.5 KB

Name:  pildike04.JPG
Views: 254
Size:  79.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Okay, here are two sketches I made today. From reference, no grid lines.

I still have the same questions as earlier

Name:  pildike01.JPG
Views: 241
Size:  88.4 KB

Name:  pildike02.JPG
Views: 237
Size:  56.9 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good try man, many of your stuff here is no enough contrast, try the shadow make it more dark, that will be more solid. the 1st stuffs if your post is really good. try more~

i think the comment maybe can help you, because im still beginner.

sketch

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Guan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,687 Times in 2,424 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Hello buddy.
    I am glad that you are here.
    I do not have some smart advices, except for you to
    do as many drawings as you can. Quantity will be the secret.
    You will see, on your fifth filled sketchbook page, your improvement
    will be tremendous and you will surprise even your self.
    So do not wait. Post some more drawings...

[last update; 28th March 2014]
    SEXUAL CONTENT !WARNING!
    ...looking for a freelance work...
    In search for a Freelance work

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LtPlissken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! I'm a little slow checking in these days...

I like all the studies with boxes, chairs and stuff. The car has a really nice flow to the lines and the girls eyes in the last post turned out really good. Personally, I started with Vilppu. I only got partway through Loomis and need to revisit it but I use his method for facial construction and Vilppu for the body. I'm not sure which book you should start with as I have no experience with the others. Probably whichever one you like best is fine. There are many different paths to the same end result and ultimately you'll choose the one you like best so pick one and experiment or whatever. Just my opinion and I'm hardly an expert so take it with a grain of salt

16. The Following User Says Thank You to NicG For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, sorry for not posting for such a long time. I couldn't get my hands on a camera/scanner and thought many posts without new sketches are quite worthless

Guan - Thank You for stopping by. Yes, you are right, I need to push up the contrast.

Plissken
    - Hello and thank You for greeting me. I will push to sketch as often and as much as possible.

NicG - Hello again! Thank You for stopping by. About the anatomy books I agree. I'm just checking and messing around with different authors and trying to find the one that suits me the best.

So here are some random sketches (the perspective one is freehanded, no rulers or straight objects), some sketches from Loomis "Fun with A Pencil", some from animation books. Also the lips are from a German anatomy book, author Rubins.

Name:  sketsbook 007.jpg
Views: 231
Size:  30.5 KB

Name:  sketsbook 008.jpg
Size:  42.6 KB

Name:  sketsbook 001.jpg
Views: 240
Size:  44.4 KB

Name:  sketsbook 002.jpg
Size:  25.0 KB

Name:  sketsbook 004.jpg
Views: 232
Size:  40.4 KB

Name:  sketsbook 005.jpg
Views: 236
Size:  37.9 KB

Name:  sketsbook 006.jpg
Views: 229
Size:  39.4 KB

Name:  sketsbook.jpg
Views: 235
Size:  44.4 KB

monstertree is offline They look so good that's why I keep 'em in the front Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good stuff, you're studying the basics and working hard from the looks of things. You're well on your way!

19. The Following User Says Thank You to monstertree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice updates, great to see you tackling Loomis', his books are amazing. Try to focus a bit more on construction and thinking in simple basic shapes at this point, it'll make the drawing process much easier the more you practice these basics. Keep it up!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to cgaddict For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    monstertree - Thank You for encouraging and checking my SB.
    cgaddict - Hey! Thank You for checking my SB. Yeah, Loomis is great fun , also the constructing from basic simple shapes is what I'm aiming for

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello all!

I know it's been very long, I have no excuse but being lazy in the small spare time I have aside from school/work/business
    Here are a few updates. There are some Loomis "Fun with a Pencil" things, also some random imagination sketches, a birthday card concept, a cup life drawing.
    Thanks to this forum I also found some other people from Estonia, who invited me to a life figure drawing class (Thank You!) and I have a few drawings of that too. So now I'm gonna go draw these 10 minute life figures once a week besides everything else.
    Thanks for being patient and I'm looking forward to responses/critique/help
    Thanks!!!

Name:  001.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  13.3 KB

Name:  002.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  30.0 KB

Name:  003.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  32.0 KB

Name:  004.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  35.3 KB

Name:  005.JPG
Views: 192
Size:  38.8 KB

Name:  006.JPG
Views: 196
Size:  35.4 KB

Name:  007.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  38.6 KB

Name:  008.JPG
Views: 188
Size:  30.1 KB

Name:  009.JPG
Views: 189
Size:  39.8 KB

Name:  010.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  35.6 KB

Name:  011.JPG
Views: 184
Size:  41.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hehee, I forgot to upload two sketches from my notebook. Here they are

Name:  012.JPG
Views: 177
Size:  89.2 KB

Name:  013.JPG
Views: 181
Size:  53.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey!

spark_zero - Thanks for looking

I know everybody can find excuses, but I'm currently the head organiser/project manager of my facultys' christmas ball in Glehns' castle with approximately 250-300 people attending. So I have been really overwhelmed with that. I'm going to be caught in it until christmas - then I have holiday for almost 2 months and I have lots of time for drawing

Thanks for the advice concerning circles and ovals - I really appreciate it.
    The volleyballs were that sloppy intentionally though - to give an "effect" of flying so fast so that they disort in shape

But seriously thank You very much - it's motivating

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sa oled tubli olnud
    jätka samas vaimus. ma jään sulle allagi oma laiskusega.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to catukas For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by spark_zero View Post
    jõuh, käi ikka ilusti life drawingus edasi :d peale hakkamine on pool võitu.. (tegelikult kah), ma ise mõtlesin nii aasta-pool, enne kui reaalselt ennast sinna kohale suutsin vedada. ebavajalik passimine paneb tegelikult palju pidurit peale ma arvan.. Figuuride kohta ütleks, et alguse kohta päris normaalsed isegi (kuigi sa vist eka's tegid kah modelli enne veits) .. enamik tuleb siiski suht aja ja harjutamisega

Kruusi puhul, lihvi selle silindri alumise osa nurgad kõvasti pehmemaks.. mul oli ka millegipärast harjumus pikalt neid silindri nö põhju teravate nurkadega joonistada.. keskelt nö abijoonte läbitõmbamine aitab kah silindreid tehes. (pooled peaksid ilusti sümmeetrilised jääma) .. üldjoones saab enda joonistuses ka vigu avastada peegelpildis vaadates (keerad paberi teist pidi ja vaatad oma joonistust ntks vastu valgust, kui võimalik) sealt näeb alati vigu ära.

Jätka loomise lõbusapliiatsiga soovitan, detailid on isegi esialgu savi, kui selle kerades/silindrites ja muudes asjades mõtlemise kätte saab korralikult siis see annab juba päris palju juurde. Vaba käega ringi "õigesti tõmbamisel" aitab ntks lihtne harjutus - võtad kruusi, vms ümara shablooni, tõmbad sellega päris korralike ringe, ja ise tirid vaba käega ringe kõrvale.. siis näed, mis errorid tekkivad, (et kas joonistad liiga ovaalselt, liiga ebasümmeetriliselt vms).. näiteks paljud neist võrkpallidest on kergelt lopergused. (ei peaks ülimalt keskenduma sellele, et mingi täiusliku ringini jõuda, mida vaid väga vähesed teha oskavad, aga lihtsalt kasvõi edaspidi keradest koosnevate asjade konstrueerimisel on hea, kui põhivormid enam-vähem alguses välja näevad ja tüüpvead endale selgeks saavad.. siis on hää edasi liikuda)

Tee selliseid sketche, nagu sa viimati postisid veel, it's where all the fun is at.. või suuremasosas vähemalt.. rakenda loomiselt õpitud ka nendele sketchidele edaspidi!

+vilppu joonistusvideod on suht soovituslikud, kui loomise ära tabad. seal põhiliselt õpetab samuti, kuidas juba päris figuure saab ülesehitada mõne põhivormiga (ehk siis kõike keerulist saab laiali lõhkuda üsnagi lihtsaks)

aga jep, keep drawing, mõtle vähem, tee rohkem. :d
    head soovitused

cheers

28. The Following User Says Thank You to karupoiss juhan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hei,
    tore et õpid kõike joonistama mitte aint mingit kindlat ala.
    enamus ütlevad et alusta suuremate vormidega figuuri puhul, aga ma ütleks et enne tee kindlaks kuhu lihased kinnituvad, muidu tulevad vormid ka imelikud, räägin oma kogemustest. see on ainult pähe tuupimise asi, need lihased. ja ei ole mõtet ka õppida luid ilusti renderdama, peaasi et tead nende põhitõdesid ja kuidas nad liiguvad.
    Jätka samas vaimus, joonista nii palju kui saad.

30. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to heix33 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hei, teed tubli tööd.
    Siin heix33 kommentaarile lisan veel, et vaata atleetide(bodybuilderite) pilte, neil on vähe rasva peal kui nad võistlevad...lihased joonistuvad jube hästi välja (naiste puhul veel eriti). Mina olen nende pealt meelde jätnud.

My sketchbook Comments & Crits always welcome!

32. The Following User Says Thank You to kuumehike For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1