C.O.W. #189_Glass Rings_Voting!

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Glass Ring Maker!

Voters
39. You may not vote on this poll
  • ScaryPotato

2 5.13%
  • Potbelly

0 0%
  • (lark

0 0%
  • Si Swe

3 7.69%
  • Lodin

4 10.26%
  • JanJager

12 30.77%
  • Kir Nuyts

2 5.13%
  • lach-land

4 10.26%
  • Ragnj

2 5.13%
  • lkjhgfdsa

0 0%
  • Arbinn

2 5.13%
  • Homerid

8 20.51%
  • J-Sun

0 0%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 423 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #189 Glass Rings_Voting!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #189 VOTING

Topic: Glass Rings Maker

Deadline for the voting: Saturday October 16th 2010

Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=176212

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scorge; October 9th, 2010 at 03:58 AM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ScaryPotato

Concept: Ring-Mouthed Stormeater

This creature consumes the nutrients carried in the sandstorms of Arrion 4. A glass 'skeleton' is the result of the sand it ingests, the most notable feature of this skeleton being its huge glass ring/mouth. When a beast dies and decays, the only sign left in the barren dunes is the immense glass ring, and a small oasis that forms around the ring's base. The nomads that wander the planet celebrate upon spotting a glass ring in the distance as they know that soon, shelter and fresh food will be theirs. Think of it as a pot of gold at the end of the rainbow

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrion Lavapede

Artist Potbelly
    Concept: Arrion Lavapede
    The Arrion Lavapede can grow up to 50 meters in length, thoughout there lives they spend 70% of it near the planets core, at temperatures
    over 5000oC, only coming to the planets surface to feed and breed. Caves can be found in remote Area's, clues to the locations are found
    by glass holes, that are burnt into the sand via the creatures.
    Considerd non agressive but its recomended to keep your distance from them unless you fancy being flash baked.

ok this my Final, gonna have to more work on how to paint scenery, def my weakness at present... but hey we all works in progress, thanx for the Extension :-)

Last edited by Devilfruit; October 6th, 2010 at 12:33 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: sledirions (the rolling mystics of arrion 4)

Name:  glass rings final.jpg
Views: 2251
Size:  244.2 KB

the sledirions of arrion 4 were a gigantic race that roamed the desert plains. they moved around on their large wheel like appendages, pushing themselves along with their powerful forearms. the "wheel" appendages are attached onto a central bone structure that runs through their body. the bone fits into a free moving but snug socket in the center of the wheels, giving free mobility to spin easily. the wheels, over the lifespans of the sledirions (which could be extremely long, up to 500-600 years) picked up sand on the edges. because of the friction from the rolling, the compacted weight of the creatures, and the extreme heat of arrion 4, the sand formed a glass build up where their wheels rolled.

the native people came to worship them as a sort of deity, and their shamans would seek them out on religious quests to find guidance in their very harsh world. the sledirions being a very gentle,and wise species, were indeed able to communicate with the natives. but only to tell them one thing, that if they wanted to gain their knowledge, they would have to find their glass rings in the deep desert once they were gone. and that the glass would yield their intelligence to them if they were able to find it.

the sledirions eventually went extinct, quite suddenly and with no explanation. and the rings as of yet have not been found by the natives.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Si_Swe

Concept: Arrion Sand Swimmer

<Records of Dr. Alan Gerrard><Entry12:12/23/2561><Arrion 4>
    >14:23<>Today I encountered an anomaly while exploring the dunes about 3 days from base camp. A large glass hole in a dune... the glass extended upwards in a splash-like formation. Samples seem to suggest the glass is simply made from the sand around it. Somehow it was superheated and rapidly cooled while in motion...
    >23:06<>Large tremors are distrurbing my pack Gwaza, I am heading to a nearby dune to see if I can spot the source from the summit.
    >23:14<>I think I have found the source of the glass! There is life in these dunes. Massive beasts comprised of rocky-carapace and what seems to be... magma. They seem to burst out of the dunes and dive back in, much like dolphins in the water back on Earth. As their superheated bodies exit the sand the molten sand around them splashes outwards. Thanks to the planet's -75ºC night-temperatures, the molten sand cools, instantly hardening into rough glass! I must travel back to base camp to organize a full research expedition to learn more about these beasts.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist :Lodin

concept :Huge Sand Tarantula is a spider who secrete glass spines to protect her-self, and when the time has come to lay her eggs, she molt her abomen to create a nest with the same protection. With the time, the chitine desappear but the glass rest in place to become these strange rings.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Lodin For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: JanJager

Concept: Oasis flower
    Water is rare on Arrion 4

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JanJager For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooow Great entries so far!!!

Here is mine!

Kirsten Nuyts: Kir
    Concept: Giant Ring Worm

The Giant Ring Worm...With his 'feet' he moves verry slowly over the big sandy surface of the planet. His feet crush the sand together and under the big pressure; rings of glass are formed.
    The huge beast is worshipped by many civilisations. No one knows it s exacts age but they can get verry verry old....When it dies all that remains are glassy rings in the sand

Name:  C.O.W.-#189-Glass-Rings-Big.jpg
Views: 2143
Size:  379.0 KBName:  C.O.W.-#189-Glass-Rings-Big-Color-Final.jpg
Views: 1888
Size:  312.4 KB

Last edited by Kir Nuyts; October 6th, 2010 at 06:39 PM. Reason: Made my post correct (white name and such)
    _.·´¯`·-> Choose Life <-·´¯`·._
    Check me out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Lach-land

Concept: Arrion Desert Giant
    ]Desert giants are massive octopedal creatures that roam the deserts of Arrion 4. The giant glassy carapace shelters and protects the creature, but its key function is in the production of what is effectively a ground penetrating radar- which it uses to search for food/prey. The huge pad like feet distribute the creatures weight on the sand but also are used to sense the reflected radar effect/or the movement of prey under the sands. Once prey is located tentacles are sent into the sand to retrieve them. Each foot is equipped with a large digging claw to dig for prey in regions where the ground is more solid,or to break the surface where a crust has formed.

Last edited by lach-land; October 6th, 2010 at 09:58 PM. Reason: try make text pretty

13. The Following User Says Thank You to lach-land For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Ragnj

Concept: iArrian Angeli
    "The iArrian Angeli lives a long life, sometimes for centuries. Its name arise from the mighty silluette of an angel it create when traveling the heavens, its shiny glass horns appearing as a glowing halo in the bright burning starlight. When the Angelis sense its on the verge of passing on, it, like the elephants on earth, travel back to all Angelis graveplanet, Arrion4, to sleep for eternity. Leaving as only trace of its existence the halo glasshorn in the desert sand."

Last edited by Ragnj; October 5th, 2010 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: lkjhgfdsa

Concept: sunfisher
    Sunfishers, despite their colloquial naming, do not fish the sun. Rather they float on the winds of their desert planet using long tentacles to draw any living prey up into their digestive sacs to fuel both their massive floating bodies and also the gasses that allow their slow floating flight across the landscape...
    Much like a cuttlefish of earth; the only part of their bodies to last after their deaths are the ballast; balancing rings of glass that grow within their bodies all their lives.

Last edited by lkjhgfdsa; October 6th, 2010 at 07:03 PM.
    The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Arbinn

Concept: Smoke Bunny

Smoke bunnies earned their name with their huge hindlegs and smoking glass spines. The creatures start forming a glass ring soon after birth and the ring grows with them as they grow older. The ring is formed with a combination of snot that has enzymes which disintegrate the sand and a very high body temperature that helps with the melting but is not enough alone. Some of the sand will inevitably end up inside the creature. This sand concentrates in the spine, turns glass over time and bursts through the skin as the bunny grows older. In addition of supporting the creature the spine also transports majority of the blood, different enzymes and chemicals. The glass spikes that form on the creature are slightly hollow as different fumes and gases that the creature's extremely active and hot metabolism produces escape through them.

It is not certain why the smoke bunnies roll glass rings throughout their lives. The rings may help the creature move since they have such small and weak front legs or they may help the bunnies navigate since they are blind and certainly feel the substance under the ring. But the best suggestion is that the rings have a psycholocigal effect for the creatures since the ones that have lost their rings start to act in a strange manner and apparently become depressed even to the point where they commit suicide. The bunnies are also horrified by downhills where the rings may slip from their grip.

Last edited by Arbinn; October 6th, 2010 at 09:55 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

COW#188

Artist: Homerid

Concept: Arrion Titan Leech

The Arrion Titan Leech is the only living species on the surface of Arrion 4, most living organisms on the planet live in underground tunnels due to the scorching temperatures.
    The creature has developed a temperature resistant shell that allows them to walk in the surface. To feed itself the creature embeds its mouth in the ground, and using its three jaws equipped with strong teeth they remove the sand and dirt to open their way to the underground tunnels where other creatures live.
    Their saliva has strong corrosive properties that helps dissolve their food and rocks. Once the creature finishes feeding, it walks away leaving a hole in the ground, surrounded by their saliva, that, in contact with the high temperatures and radiation from the sun, crystallizes to a diamond type material.

Last edited by Homerid; October 6th, 2010 at 08:54 PM.
    A.Я.M

old deviantART - forgotten Sketchbook - outdated Portfolio

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Homerid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: J-Sun

Concept: Celestial Swimmer

As the white sun of Arrion 4 began to creep below the desert horizon,
    a wanderer witnessed the unimaginable.
    The desert rock rose up before him into a vortex that rippled with blue energy.
    From its center emerged a massive celestial serpent which soared away into the clouds,
    leaving in it's wake, glass rings fused from the very earth.
    Such portals had been conjured here before. The surrounding landscape gave evidence to that with awesome arcs and curves,
    crumbled and eroded rings from the past.
    "This was sacred land. Sacred, and for no man", the wanderer thought,
    as he turned and headed back in the direction from which he had come.

Last edited by J-Sun; October 8th, 2010 at 09:01 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,881 Times in 423 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    My apologies for the lateness of the poll friends. Looking forward to seeing you all in future cows as a contestant again.

Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some comments and crits from me... again (aren't you tired of this guy?):

ScaryPotato - Original design, simple and effective. I really liked the oasis image you have for the after effects. The sandstorm looks really solid, you should try lowering the opacity for areas like that. Let them somewhat overlap your creature to really show a lack of solidity.
    Potbelly - Your creature's head looks amazing. The touches of light you've given really give it form. Compositionally there is a lot of tension going on because the creature just touches the bottom and just touches the top. It gives a claustrophobic sense that the creature is really in a confined space. But, compositionally, the structure of the rest of the image seems weak, the creature's stomach functions as the center, where the center should be placed in such a way that the eye travels around the creature naturally. The only other thing is that the luminescence of the emberous glow needs to be pushed, right now it's not glowing other than out of those small holes, really push the yellows/yellow-golds in there and support those with hints of very light yellows to really get that across.
    (lark - I would say this is one of your weaker pieces in the last while. There is an ephemerality to the brush strokes that don't define the world as much as they should. The creature bears your general good rendering and excellent sense of defining forms (as well as a very unique and original design), but I feel the flatness of the sand around it and the way the sand blurs into the sky in the background really does not do your level of talent justice.
    Lodin - Your piece is the high level I've come to expect from your entries. Really solid use of textures and really good rendering as usual. It's strange, I imagined the creature much larger than it appears to be next to humans. I was imagining a scale more in kind with Homerid's piece whereas this one seems to be of comparable size to an elephant. It doesn't take away from the piece it was just surprising to me. I don't feel the diagrams help your piece, though, they feel unnecessary.
    JanJager - I was really struck by your concept. I could immediately imagine pitcher-plant-like elements to the creature. It can imagine that thing at the bottom of a pond and it terrified me. Your piece has the same level of high quality I've come to expect from you and has excellent narrative sense. The creature is small in the illustration, which is unfortunate because we don't quite get to see it in full detail and I would've like a slightly more extensive description, but your piece was compelling enough to score my vote.
    Kir Nuyts - Simple description, solid execution. For focusing on the feet I do feel that they could've used more attention. They have a quick sketchy feel and some of the ellipses don't look quite right. Overall a pretty damn good job and I'm looking forward to seeing you in future rounds.
    lach-land - It's quite amazing how much there is going on in this piece, yet how calm it looks on the surface. There is a sketchiness to it that works with it, but could have been tightened up in some areas (like right at the bottom center). With some compostitional tweaks and some more polish, this would piece would be incredible. As it stands, cool design, lots going on, strange narrative (this in particular: why did the guy get out of his vehicle? What is going on with the tentacles at the bottom center? What is the scavenger doing in the background?).
    Ragnj - Your designs show their very classic style and you seem very present as an artist in all your work. Here you have a solid piece as a standalone, but there are things that become limiting in terms of materiality because of a lack of colour and because of a reliance on line. I know it's halo-horn is meant to be glass, but because of the way it is drawn, I can't tell exactly what material it is. You have a nice sense of scale and textures like the feathers work well, but there needs to be more tonal variance to really get across materiality.
    lkjhgfdsa - You've managed to really create a cool scene. It's unfortunate that we don't really get to see that much of your creature's design, it being vague (as a result of the speed at which the piece was done if I recall correctly?), but we really do get a brilliant scene in terms of the deserts the unique ring design and the funny touch that I didn't see until the third or fourth time I saw it, the artist painting the scene. The glass doesn't look quite as glassy as it could, but serves a really great purpose as the centerpiece to the illustration.
    Arbinn - Really cool design that has a level of detail which isn't noticed at first glance, that really took me aback when I studied it close. The glass looks like it should, though it seems a rather imperfect ellipse so I feel like it may have trouble rolling. The glass spikes started off looking solid, but I feel like they are now the most underdeveloped part of the creature, they look almost like they were rendered in oil pastel, but they come off as strange-looking with relation to the rest of the piece, which is unfortunate considering their importance to the creature's anatomy.
    Homerid - Epic Scale. I really feel like you pushed your rendering to an extreme here. Especially the rings around the holes have a very three-dimensional feel. The design of the creature isn't my favourite and I feel like the carapace overlaps awkwardly, but it's still a very solid creature with tight rendering.
    J-Sun - I liked the story behind the piece but the piece itself doesn't feel up to snuff with what I know you can do. The palette seems really eclectic and is really saturated to the point where it becomes difficult to look at. The design of the creature is fairly simple, the head area suggests good design choices but sloppy execution. I liked the concept and the narrative, but it feels rushed overall. I know from what you said in the wip thread you just got the idea out, so I have that in mind and I know you'll be doing awesome stuff in future rounds like I've come to expect from you.

22. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Homerid's Piece.

Wow, great creature and superb piece of artwork. I also love your story behind the piece (very believable).

Thanks

FRANS

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Frans Gerber For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great turnout this round, guys.

ScaryPotato-you have an interesting critter here. I like the overall design. And while the background does work, I wish there was a little more...wispiness to the dust storm. It seems a little bunched up right now.

Potbelly-I really like the colors going on here. It looks like a very menacing creature. And while you did state this, I am having trouble seeing the glass aspect to the background. I like the colors and design of the background, but it just needs some definitive glass in there.

(lark-I really love your brushwork. Really. Every creature I have seen you paint has a really nice quality to it. Well done. My only minor grip would be the lack of a definitive horizon line. The sky really blurs with the ground, but if that is due to wind or just distance, I understand.

Si_Swe-the fact that you made this a night scene works so well. It makes the colors really stick out. Your creature design is cool, too. It has a sand whale/worm feel to it, and that is awesome. The pose of the creature might be a little problematic. As it stands, the worm will land on it's stomach, and not the magma tip of its head.

Lodin-way to go the extra mile in terms of presentation. Not only does the creature look cool and is rendered well, but the extra little bits included really sells the piece. Nice job.

JanJager-Love it. Loveitloveitloveit. Unique angle, unique creature, very well painted. All around, great job. As a minor note, how does the glass ring end up on its side?

Kir Nuyts-you did a good job at selling the size of this creature. It feels like a massive desert crawler, which is good. I would have liked to have seen a bigger inclusion of the actual glass rings however.

lach-land-I like the design of your creature. It has some really cool elements in it that really stick out. And the colors are working too, they feel very alien. I feel bad for the poor little explorer man.

Ragnj-your style really works well with this creature. You get a good sense of personality from it. I also love the inclusion of the glass ring on it's head. That was a really good choice that I'm glad I saw at least once in this round.

lkjhgfdsa-I like the foreground of the image a lot. The little painter guy gives a good sense of scale. However, I really wish I could see the creature better. I like how you incorporated it into the scene, but you always have such awesome detail on your past creatures. That is missing here. I would have preferred to see the creature up close and the glass rings far away.

Arbinn-you have a really interesting creature here. I really like the overall design. It has a nice, quirky feel to it, reinforced by the name. I guess I would have liked to have seen a little more texture or color variation on the sand in the foreground, but that is a pretty minor gripe.

Homerid-man, you nailed it. You got everything, an awesome creature, an inclusion of convincing glass rings, and a well done background. Everything is working, and looks freaking awesome. That is why you get my vote.

J-Sun-you managed to make a creature I was not expecting to see, cool. I really like the background. I love the colors of a desert sunrise. I would liked to have seen some tighter brush strokes on the creatures head, as that is the focal point. That, or really sell the motion blur.

Great round everybody. A good way to send Scourge out with a bang.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Duman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No time for crits this week, schools killing me

Alot of very stunning entries and hard to choose, in the end I voted for JanJager but was several others that came close!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Voting is closed! Congrats to JanJager on #3!

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1