Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast

Thread: Deadlyhazard's Scrubby Sketchbook (Crits valued!)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Bethany K. View Post
    These are great for someone who's only been painting for a few months. Keep it up.

No... since you got to do stuff out of your comfort zone in order to get better. Paint in grayscale until you're more comfortable with it. Though maybe you could paint in black and white, then add a couple shades of gray in until you're more comfortable with full on value studies.
    Ah, thanks. I guess I'll try painting monochrome then? And it's been less than 2 months since my first painting! ! December 9th will mark my second month since having started with paint . I've learned a TON just by criticisms and snooping around the boards on tutorials concerning color and technique. I have to really thank people like you who push me and criticize.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    very nice. you work harder than most ppl, you are getting better and better I like the black and white envo study.
    Cheers/ your friend PMB

"Painting my brain with memories of the future"
    Pencil and brush is my choice of weapons!

My Sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177145&page=8

Thanks
    Eh I'm actually really lazy. I'm doing all of these in under 30-40 minutes pretty much because I get flustered with my terrible dexterity. Seriously, I can't draw a nicely curved line or straight one for my life! I hope with practice that goes away a bit. Damned finals and 2000 word paper have been keeping me down so I only got in like an hour and a half these last couple of days. Jeez...Anyway tried a new set up with these. 70% opacity with flow jitter, size jitter, and smoothing. I also abused the color picker greatly for all of them except the rhinos and the last one which I did from life observation. In other words, the landscape
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    UGH couldnt do any life drawing this week. Anyway here are some terrible imagination paintings last one was actually at first a 'master study' of Kekai Kotaki ( my fav concept artist for awhile now) but I decided to change the character and a little bit of the background (and was too lazy to paint the other character he had in the painting).

Here's Kekai Kotaki's image I studied in particular (hes a beast)

Deadlyhazard's Scrubby Sketchbook (Crits valued!)

I'm starting to notice a lot of this drama of the image is created not only by the pose of the character, but by the composition. It seems like most of his stuff is really diagonal and expressive. I guess I'll try that once I learn how to construct anatomy and characters......really eager to take painting 1 next semester.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    looking good m8! keep it up, I admire your ambition. aim for the stars!
    Cheers/ your friend PMB

My Sketchbook!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PaintMyBrain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks PMB. Urhg, painting is really hard man...pretty frustrating for a beginner (without reference its hell). I never know what colors to choose even though I know about value, saturation, color temperature, etc...and now warm light/cold shadows, cold light/warm shadows (learned today). Still have trouble picking what colors to use and stuff for backgrounds, midgrounds, and foregrounds...everything inbetween. Guess I'll have to wait until I take painting 1 to learn about that. I guess I should focus on drawing still.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    I decided I'd try a speed drawing with a slap of color over it to experiment with my new-found warm and cool color knowledge. I really need to work on my drawing it's very sloppy . But yeah I kinda set up perspective in this scene I guess but I didn't put up any VPs or stuff like that because I don't know what to do from imagination to construct this kinda stuff...so I really just eyeballed it. Okay I used no perspective really :-;. And I wanted the front to be lined by a huge gate on each side of the volcanic stream along with some flaming barrel but failed on the first one and just gave up lol.

Well you get the idea. A volcanic village of sages above the mountain tops where on the side of the rails in the village there are flowing magma rivers and the architecture is primarily domes and skull-like shapes because they're similar and easy to repeat. For natural elements there are spiky rocks. And uh I just made that crap up as I drew random shapes LOL. I like making a story in my head when doing these I think it helps a lot. Makes it fun instead of frustrating when you see the picture didn't turn out 5% of what was in your head. Man what was in my head was way cooler!

Err back to reading Hogarth. I wonder if I should be copying his figures in the Dynamic Figures book O_O.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    cool dude. I think for your imagination stuf, the progress is hard to miss. I cant even fraking draw a finger from imagination haha. Keep it up, your gonna be awesome at this!
    Cheers/ your friend PMB

My Sketchbook!

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PaintMyBrain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah I've been mostly focusing on legs and torso studies, those are two really really weak areas for me. Values are next but I want to focus on drawing since my lines are still scribbly as hell instead of really nice and smooth. Looked at some really amazing SBs (bumskee, etc) today and man I feel terrible for posting this stuff, haha. It feels like I'll never reach some of these guys but I guess that's how most scrubs like me feel . Gets me motivated and at the same time frustrated that it never turns out 1/10 as good.

Anyway here's a speedy landscape...did a bunch of sketching today but I cant scan it in . I also realize I'm pressing way too hard when im painting...hmmm.. Need to go less digital and more analogous IMO, last month and a half I haven't really touched a pencil. That's really bad, I feel I haven't progressed much since then.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Alright I did a ton of pencil sketches ontop of the digital ones. Legs...legs have been the focus for the last couple of days. Evil 'B' shaped frontal legs and S-curved side-view legs. EVIL.

And uh of course a landscape. Need to get better at those because I'm itching to do environments.....wonder where I can learn perspective well.

And uh played with pressure sensitivity on opacity....before I had it checked off, but I'd just press really hard and it always came out bad. Needa control that....

As for Mr. Crab guy, I think his design is okay. I liked the claw shaped scythe thingy, but he didn't come out nearly what I had in mind. The chest and leg area looks stupid. Guess I'll need to really study armors and general designs next....after I clear anatomy and perspective fundamentals a bit more.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    looking good, love that u got so much imagination. but dont forget to study anatomy, poses and perspective too! keep it up
    Cheers/ your friend PMB

My Sketchbook!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PaintMyBrain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Impressive amount of dedication and results are showing. My 2 cents would say try to pick a topic and study it until you feel you mastered it then use it in your study of another topic. So maybe instead of trying to learn color, composition and perspective focus on one... then again. This would spare you some frustration but will be slower...

Eitherway I'm still learning myself and what I discovered is that whatever works for you is the best way.

I'd recommend you also check out this old thread about perspective (there is a whole class in that archived section)
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=108793

Either way, keep practicing!

17. The Following User Says Thank You to dracken For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @PMB Thanks. Going to be focusing on anatomy first .

@Dracken Thanks for the link, definitely going to read it when I get the time. I think I'll focus on one thing at a time, maybe every week. But I'll also do other stuff every day if I get the chance.

Anyway quick thumbs. Some were just random pretty much no thought, just going in and slapping different things together. Second one was supposed to be a pea-pod shaped village, fifth was supposed to be a giant smashing things (came out miserably ), the seventh was supposed to be a village but with light-blue windsails, and the last was a terribly cluttered attempt at a scary house. I should've looked up Victorian houses or something. Can't do these damn buildings without perspective I tell you. Was just generating ideas anyway. Probably a good idea to practice tiny little thumbnail paintings.

ALSO been painting a bit over two months now! HOOOOOORAY!
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Page 9 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast