Sketchbook: Deadlyhazard's Scrubby Sketchbook (Crits valued!) - Page 9

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The armor specularity study looks great. I love all the little specular highlights. It's obvious you didn't finish it.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to flyngryter711 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dear god. AWESOME color & lighting. How is this done?

5. The Following User Says Thank You to keithburgun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, nice progress I like the last pieces. And i'm waiting for more...

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ros1 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Dan B-b-but the face is the best part! Aye, I understand...I don't think I could keep up posting if I had that much work to do! Well maybe once in awhile, lol.

@Karm It's okay ;p.

@Creusa Let the boar grinding begin!

@Flyn Yep, loose...spent a couple hours trying to get the reflectivity looking good and the right placement. It turned out okay, the head is the best part though ;p.

@Keith Jaaaaysus!

@Ros Ahhhh man thanks for the compliment. Your landscapes/enviros are sooooo good . I really need to start painting those from life! Maybe I'll do that starting this week!

Anyway 2 hour painting of this lady. I tried realllly pushing the saturation in certain areas and trying to play with the skintones. Also kinda played with the edges because I didn't really want to show those parts of the painting. It's kinda boring when every edge is super sharp. Came out pretty good. Dislike the bewbs, though. I think I'ma do a ton of life painting/sketching, maybe some of it digital. I need to lay off the photos for now WAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

Maybe I could've blended more on the face, but I didn't really want to take this beyond a sketch. I need to do more sketching....quick stuff.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work Deadly

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ven S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely sketchbook!the last one paintings rock!and very nice studies as well on the early pages...your rendering is looking nice! keep it up those color practice and i will be looking forward to see more and take care=)

My sketchbook.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=203100&page=7

Awesome artist and friends

Nkristian

12. The Following User Says Thank You to strangedawn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya good plan lets do some drawing on paper, I haven't touched that for a few months now. I'ma go draw some trees outside!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very good tonality on the last page, dig the colour and lighting. Keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to The_Flying_Dutchman For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ven Thanks man, hope you're practicing? and yes, your signature does have quite a great guide on how to draw anime characters. Bewbs.

@Strangedawn Thanks for the comment! I love your art!

@Nia
    yeeeeup. Same here. Trees are surprisingly difficult to draw ;p. Damn foliage...

@Dutchman
    Hey thanks man I'm glad you liked the tonality. That's something that interests me a lot.

Anyway, self-portrait and Jaime Jones study. I LOVE Jaime's art. I was interested in this one specifically not only because of the color, but everything seemed really textural and light. I did it really fast though so it didn't come out that good ;p. I really want to start working hard, but I'm just gonna do a ton of traditional stuff. I think I'll do self-portraits every once in awhile in digital but I want the majority of my stuff to be traditional for awhile. I shall start tomorrow by doing the fabled color charts in oils...

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; June 29th, 2011 at 12:11 AM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally, I was dying to see your new post And its great as always.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Ven S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you got the sense of light in the Jaime study down quite well, and if you did it quickly then yeah the quality's not gonna be great is it? The self portrait looks good but some of the parts of your face aren't as well defined as the eyes or nose so it ends up looking a bit half finished.

Constructive criticism is always welcome.
    My Sketchbook.
    My Tumblr.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Caspia For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deadlyhazard sir, way to kill it. Especially the most recent one! mmmmh i want to see it finished yah fool. And I also want to see a fully rendered multi color pony painted in oil. < 3

23. The Following User Says Thank You to yogeshj25 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ya! Work harders!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Alex Eh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deadly, me want more updates

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Ven S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post
    @Velocity Thanks man I think I need to watch the mouth and the eyes the most....my mouths are too large. Found out more about facial proportions and I think that will help me next time I feel like doing a portrait.

@Dan
    Yepp D: oh well. FOCUS.

@Matt
    Parrots are lame. Owls are way more awesome for pirates.

@Tronrobot
    Thanks . You too BTW!!!

@Biteschlessen
    Thanks. I need to be more careful with edges -- you're right.

@Karm
    Grats on moving to Seattle! I hope you find great artistic growth there....will probably be joining you in a few years after school .

@Ven
    Thanks!!! I'll work hard now to try and make it really impressive by the time one year has lapsed since I've started it!!

@Caspia
    Yeah this is a big concern of mine. I'd have to have some specifics pointed out -- I feel I'm missing something on some of these. I think what I need to do is construct this stuff first. Right now I just throw on values and work it rather than draw it out and construct it. I think thats my main problem.

Anyway I studied specularity this week, briefly. Did a few digital paintings and a couple drawings but I had wayyyy too much work this week. I really didn't get much done. But my rushed summer courses are over (this ENTIRE month has been the equivilant of four months of school, condensed into 4 weeks. Yeah....had to do college algebra and a few other bothersome classes....I'll be graduating CC in the autumn, probably to start out as a freshman somewhere else lol. Maybe .

Anyway one is an armor specularity study, another is a doodle that I got bored with and didnt render the rest (Typical lazy me, was inbetween classes anyway) aaaaand a master study of Maciej Kuciara -- I didn't see this guy's work until this week. I was amazed. I love his knight and dragon one especially, everything is just so well done. Really something to look up to -- who knows, maybe in a decade I'll be that good!

But uh....yeah I haven't been able to practice much lately so that's worried me and I haven't done life drawing in awhile (except a few posts back). Feel like I haven't learned as much as I should. I might be able to grind this summer though!!! I'm hoping I can work really hard now that I FINALLY have free time aside from the job, maybe I can progress faster than I did since starting this SB. Maybe not LOL. Anyway, enough about me, some pics....would love crits! But yeah most of these are kinda short doodles didnt have much time to work on them. Q_Q so obviously unclean edges and probably some errors I didn't have time to fix.

PLEASE give this idea a chance. On any of those paintings, preferably the second one in this quote, go back through with a SMALL, 100% hard, normal brush (round default one). Give outlines where they belong around and throughout the figure/whatever is in the painting. Right now they look messy and unfinished but my suggestion might help.

If you decide to do it, please upload.

29. The Following User Says Thank You to AnonYmouse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice studies, now push it!

In the last 2 portraits it seems that you put your eyes too far apart from each other.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Vaejoun For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Wanderer Thanks, but it could be MUCH better! I guess I just gotta put in the work .

@Caspia Yeah I have the problem, evident in the one I'm about to upload to....I like the eyes and nose but the mouth, the neck, the ears, etc... aren't very appealing to me so I usually have to trudge through it.

@Yogeshj ponies

@Nia EYUPPPP

@Anonymouse Hey I wasn't sure what you meant, but I'm guessing you wanted to show me that my drawing (placement) is off? Because I've been very aware of it lately and am trying to improve. I should try your suggestion on some of my newer stuff...good idea. I'll do it.

@Vaejoun AHHH I like your work! Yeah my main problem at the moment seems to be placement. Maybe I should brush up on perspective or constructive anatomy.....? Or just keep life-drawing. Or all three.

Anyway I decided to do a self-portrait today in digital just to have something to upload....I've been mostly focusing on traditional stuff which is why I haven't uploaded much (no digi camera anymore). And uh some half finished junk that I never touched about half a month ago. O_o. Sunlight is going down so I didn't finish the portrait...........maybe I'll do a few this week and try to fully finish them off.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlyhazard View Post

@Anonymouse Hey I wasn't sure what you meant, but I'm guessing you wanted to show me that my drawing (placement) is off? Because I've been very aware of it lately and am trying to improve. I should try your suggestion on some of my newer stuff...good idea. I'll do it.
    No, not at all. I'm saying that you're using very blurry brushes which isn't a "finished" look. I'm suggesting you try using a hard brush for details, to build refined form around where you're painting. Anatomy has nothing to do with what I'm suggesting at this point, only trying to help give it a more finished look.

See how the artists below has the massive black area below the waist? It's not detailed at all, just a lot of black/dark tones UNTIL he goes back with light colors, giving it a reflected light/detail. Again, this is all just a suggestion.

Deadlyhazard's Scrubby Sketchbook (Crits valued!)

Last edited by AnonYmouse; July 30th, 2011 at 09:29 PM.

34. The Following User Says Thank You to AnonYmouse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    QUOTE TO ANON
    See how the artists below has the massive black area below the waist? It's not detailed at all, just a lot of black/dark tones UNTIL he goes back with light colors, giving it a reflected light/detail. Again, this is all just a suggestion. QUOTE

I agree to this. since its true that many artists dont spend to much time in the dark areas... Couse its DARK!. but dont slack off on those areas... I've seen lot of "crap" just becouse people get to slacky.

Well good luck & draw as much as you can...

36. The Following User Says Thank You to V-Cold For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wooo! Your updating again! I like your values man, alot! Confirmed that I will stalk this sketchbook for value reference.

38. The Following User Says Thank You to Ven S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looking good man!

Keep it up and keep pushing!

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Sebastian Wagner For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like we look up to the same people, cool. Those master studies look pretty good color wise. You could push them lot further though. Really look into how those guys use planes, edges and textures. Challenge yourself to finish the study, no matter how long it takes. That's what I'm planning to do with the next master studies. Intimidating as hell, but probably worth it. Keep up the dedication!

Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

42. The Following User Says Thank You to ismo For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,226 Times in 333 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Some hard work and dedication going on in here - but I definitely echo the sentiments of previous comments, harder crisper brush with less transparency would do a world of good for your paintings, show confidence and give them a better read - the Mullins study has them and outshines anything else on the page simply for it (good construction too).

And re: ismo, when you study an old master aim to make a forgery, not a copy - only when you push yourself all the way and go beyond your comfort zone will you be able to both gauge your skill and find your shortcomings to work on next, & learn new things.

44. The Following User Says Thank You to tehmeh For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,024 Times in 879 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Jaime jones study on the previous page - Its all looking really good here so no crits other than carry on doing what you're doing. I'm glad you have more time for CA now, I have been in a similar position myself recently with working a lot.

Sketchbook: INSATIABLE CURIOSITY

Tumblr:http://lovegraphite.tumblr.com/

"We make our own fortunes and we call them fate" - Benjamin Disraeli

46. The Following User Says Thank You to ThomasM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work, watch out with some of those portraits though, their eyes look like they're too apart from each other, or maybe that's how your reference was, but in any case is always good to do a drawing clearly identifying the planes of the head

48. The Following User Says Thank You to andres333 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Keep it up, definitely improving. I think you can study on your own

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Wilsondf For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Deadlyhazard's Scrubby Sketchbook (Crits valued!)
    What happen man I'm urging for an update.

52. The Following User Says Thank You to Ven S For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your digital work is absolutely gorgeous! so much improvement from the beginning of your sketchbook - thanks for the inspiration heh

54. The Following User Says Thank You to lohes For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A lot of hard work here. It will pay off! Keep Going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im back but ut not? wtf man :/

Cheers/ your friend PMB

"Painting my brain with memories of the future"
    Pencil and brush is my choice of weapons!

My Sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177145&page=8

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6