Sketchbook: Deadlyhazard's Scrubby Sketchbook (Crits valued!)

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Deadlyhazard's Scrubby Sketchbook (Crits valued!)

I am open to very harsh criticism and would prefer it so I can improve. Seriously, critique me to Hell and back.

Newer stuff towards the back, front is older.

*mild nudity*

My name is Robert, and I'm a full-blown beginner. I'm twenty years old, and have begun sketching maybe a month ago(though I've been on this site for 3 years -- I was only a fan of artwork, never created any myself); I quit drawing when I was in sixth grade, many years ago (or actually maybe even longer than that like when I was 8). I found that I particularly enjoy it again, so I've read up on it. Concept art sounds like it would be amazing to create one day. I hope to someday be able to successfully draw/paint fantasy, sci-fi, and regular art. I feel I lack the knowledge and technique to do so now.

Of course, amidst this, I'm doing life-drawing, landscape drawing, and landscape painting (or at least trying to, the life-drawing is going very well). I haven't been practicing much, about two hours or less a day. I'm hoping to bump that up to eight hours or more a day on free-days where I have no responsibilities around the house or at school (as I've heard it takes an enormous amount of practice to be able to draw/paint professionally).

Without further ado, here is my scrubby beginner's sketchbook. I must emphasize that I really want people to critique it, harshly if you must. My feelings won't be hurt, just try to point out some things, or hell, just link me some information I might not know. One thing I do know, is I wish I had money for a tablet .

MY SCANNER IS WRETCHED! It ruined half of my shading! Oh well. This is all done in 2B pencil.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Deadlyhazard; July 26th, 2011 at 06:19 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice sketchs. try work hard on your artwork to improf it.
    go ahead and good luck

Qlotzan

4. The Following User Says Thank You to qlotzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Qlotzan:Thank you very much! I will be working as hard as possible to improve.

Well today I felt I'd study a couple more of my many weak points: architecture and landscapes. Architecture annoys me beyond anything else because I'm terrible at drawing straight lines and I have no knowledge of perspective. I don't think it was a good idea to start out with a sketch of Gothic architecture. I feel I'm gaining a better grasp on sketching landscapes in pencil, but not really at all where I want to be. I think I will be studying architecture for the next week or so, it seems to be my biggest weak point. For some reason after I drew that piece of Gothic architecture (which I ragequit) I felt like trying a 'gesture' drawing of a random house.

Again, please critique! I'd love suggestions of techniques, as I'm quite ignorant of them (especially shading here).

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; September 28th, 2010 at 02:50 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Today I was doing a ton of gesture drawings to loosen up. I had fun with this one because I just built on it from my imagination. Some things I can instantly point out that I think would have made it better would be to have increased the shoulder proportion, lessen the head size, make the skulls larger (and maybe add more), and of course, had the right arm and hand proportion (his right arm looks like it's breaking off and severely disfigured). It's also twisted in the wrong way, at the biceps. At least I think. Yeah, definitely.

Nonetheless I had fun with the 5 minutes it took to make it .

I hope to either upload gesture drawings, architectural drawings, or landscapes tomorrow. Again, I hate architecture, because I'm very bad at drawing straight lines. However, I also enjoy looking at architecture, so I need to conquer that some day. Practice must be the only way! And therefor I shall practice!

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work has some nice character. You might find that this comes in handy.

http://www.khulsey.com/3_point_perspective.html

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Rubina8tor View Post
    Your work has some nice character. You might find that this comes in handy.

http://www.khulsey.com/3_point_perspective.html
    You're a godsend. I've been looking for some things on perspective. Thank you so very much . I'm going to read as much as I can about it.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well today I did some gestural and still life stuff, though I can't upload it all so I chose some random stuff along with some random armor stuff I'm getting obsessed by. Also, I want to ask: how exactly is stuff like fantasy/sci-fi armor done? Y'know, concept armor that might not exist in real life. What I've been doing is copying poses from a reference and then just adding stuff from my head. I figure that's what concept artists do using '3D knowledge' of forms. Maybe using some armor references to build on those.

Anyway, I still feel that I can't control my lines very well and that my forms don't appear to be three dimensional enough. Especially when I'm drawing armor from my head on poses. I need to get a better working of knowledge from forms and such...the line work can come from practice I imagine. Also, I've been hearing about 'line-weight.' How exactly does that work? I figure some lines are more thick or more thin depending on the thing you're drawing to make it appear more dimensional. Would you draw a thicker line on something that's more massive and overbearing, and maybe thinner lines on something that's of less weight?

So today I hope I get some answers to those couple of questions. Anyway, here's my scrubby stuff...I hope to upload more, but I'm struggling with the evil scanner of injustice and I've had to do a great deal of work. Also, does anyone know a good tablet model? I'm considering buying one, even though I'm really poor.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd also like to note that the pear seems awfully tilted, and apparently fuzzy on the upper left

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's not a big deal for a sketch. Just keep doing them =3

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Creusa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Im glad u found Ca Im a beginner as well and as everybody sais it is hard work! Just keep pushing yourself, I try to draw atleast something every single day! Keep it up
    tips on ref pages: kindgirls.com for female nude and posemaniacs.com as also a good place to find refs though they are 3d modelled.

Cheers / Brain

Cheers/ your friend PMB

"Painting my brain with memories of the future"
    Pencil and brush is my choice of weapons!

My Sketchbook!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=177145&page=8

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thx for the fast comment I can give u one other advice, try to study and draw the fundamentals of the body and the head etc. Read Loomis for example. I love that you experiement with armor and your imagination, its good that you do this too. But dont forget to study the basics, they will make your fantasy drawings look alot better.

cheers and goodnight

Cheers/ your friend PMB

My Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool sketchbook! I like the landscape you did. And the apple looks good to.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to OHI For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Edit: Is there any way to change the image of the thread avatar? I'd have to delete my first 4 images if there isn't another way

@Creusa

Catface, indeed ;3

@Paintmybrain

Thanks for the advice, found an e-book on Mr. Loomis, incredibly helpful. We n00bs shall take over the world one day with it!

@OHI

Thanks for the complements! I have a long way to go.

Well anyway, I thought I'd upload something before class (Drawing I)! Damn these still lifes, we've done them for a month straight now since it started. This is for you babes out there 8)

*tears* I wish I didn't fail so hard.

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; October 6th, 2010 at 04:56 PM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe you are absolutely right we will as long as we aim for the stars.
    Try not to say that you fail, as someone else wrote here on CA: we are not here to make pretty pictures. And I think you should keep that in mind. Everything you do is not made to be the prettiest of pictures but to make you learn so that the next one will be just a bit better.

and i do think that the statue turned out good, try draw some pages of hands and feet from reference or from your own

keep it up, hope this helps a bit

Cheers/ your friend PMB

My Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by PaintMyBrain View Post
    hehe you are absolutely right we will as long as we aim for the stars.
    Try not to say that you fail, as someone else wrote here on CA: we are not here to make pretty pictures. And I think you should keep that in mind. Everything you do is not made to be the prettiest of pictures but to make you learn so that the next one will be just a bit better.

and i do think that the statue turned out good, try draw some pages of hands and feet from reference or from your own

keep it up, hope this helps a bit
    Yeah, I have an exceptionally difficult time with hands and feet. They have so much emotion, especially hands, though. So it's entirely necessary I feel to nail their look down. And yeah I'm not here to make pretty pictures, I'm here to practice so that one day maybe I could work as a professional.

Well, I had my first art critique in my drawing I class. Got some good help. Apparently, I don't really draw anything straight. I went to look back to all my sketches and still lifes, and it's true. I draw so many things sideways, I need to orient them straight. I think it's because I hold the paper sideways when I draw.

Anyway, thanks for the advice mate .

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey again. thx for that comment on my SB, I answered on it at mine so go over and check it out

Thats the spirit, we often try to hard to make everyting look good but it wont. But we learn from making ugly pictures too, never forget that. In a year or two they will look alot better.

I have heard that the head and the hands are the most important things to nail to get the feeling of that the object is alive. So we need to practice hands alot! I will do this imediatly actually!

its good to hear that u can look back and see what u need to practice and think even more on. Keep up the good work and look forward!

btw. got msn? we can share advice and references there maybe?

cheers/Brain

Cheers/ your friend PMB

My Sketchbook!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to PaintMyBrain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just bought a tablet!! Did my first ever painting with it (okay, I've done watercolors before when I was in middleschool, sheesh! I did one landscape painting this year and it came out bad)! I was kinda satisfied with this one. No reference, just playing in photoshop for about 2 hours with colors. I really have no knowledge of them O_O, I just tried to use some methods I saw others do (such as highlighting not-so-visible areas near a light source).

It's time to learn colors, my friends! Of course, while practicing everything else .

edit: does anyone have some useful tips for photoshop? I'd love to know how to start some of these things off, and any menu options I might not know about. Like just now I found out you could hit F5 to control pressure and stuff on the digital pen.

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; October 9th, 2010 at 09:15 PM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!

Kudos to you for deciding to pursue the competitive world of art! It's ridiculously easy for beginning artists to become frustrated in their first few pieces and give up soon after they've just begun, so it's awesome to see such diligence from you. (Congrats on your tablet btw )

I can already see that you're off to a great start; some anatomy and perspective may seem shaky here and there but it'll all come to you with practice practice practice. I really admire how you're constantly stepping out of your comfort zone with hands/landscape/figures etc. A big inspiration for me, since I always have the most trouble with those kinds of things!

Giving critiques is rather difficult for me here on CA, I'm very much of a wannabe artist myself. ^^; But the one strategy I do offer is to start selecting admirable artists to stalk, and try to figure out what it is that makes their work so great (how they compose their pieces, how their anatomy is drawn, how they do their colors etc). A big part of an artist's learning comes from observation.

Best of luck to you in your studies. I really hope to see more of your stuff in the future!

24. The Following User Says Thank You to DairyProduct For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DairyProduct View Post
    Hi there!

Kudos to you for deciding to pursue the competitive world of art! It's ridiculously easy for beginning artists to become frustrated in their first few pieces and give up soon after they've just begun, so it's awesome to see such diligence from you. (Congrats on your tablet btw )

I can already see that you're off to a great start; some anatomy and perspective may seem shaky here and there but it'll all come to you with practice practice practice. I really admire how you're constantly stepping out of your comfort zone with hands/landscape/figures etc. A big inspiration for me, since I always have the most trouble with those kinds of things!

Giving critiques is rather difficult for me here on CA, I'm very much of a wannabe artist myself. ^^; But the one strategy I do offer is to start selecting admirable artists to stalk, and try to figure out what it is that makes their work so great (how they compose their pieces, how their anatomy is drawn, how they do their colors etc). A big part of an artist's learning comes from observation.

Best of luck to you in your studies. I really hope to see more of your stuff in the future!
    Thank you so much for the kind words! I have indeed been very angry at some of these pieces, but I rage all the time anyway, haha. Color right now is seriously stepping outside of my comfort zone, but I need to do that to grow. And yeah, I haven't even learned perspective yet....I really need to.

It was really nice to have you comment, it gives a beginner motivation to keep on pushing despite the demotivation of seemingly unimproved work. Grr, I know that with enough practice, I can one day become good!

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; October 9th, 2010 at 11:09 PM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, just tried my first attempt at one-point perspective. Still having some trouble making straight lines. I guessed the vanishing point (do you guess it, lol?) in the center of the image I referenced from. I don't think it's bad for a first attempt, and I'm still having some trouble with color ofc . I must push on!

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey I am glad u bought yourself a drawing board, it is pretty hard at first cause of all the techniqal issues. you just need to play around to get used to it and to photoshop. the forest looked great to be your first but try not to only use such soft brushes, the eye wants something harder and more consistant to look at int he picture too.

cheers! add my msn btw max_anton@hotmail.com

Cheers/ your friend PMB

My Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright I'm gonna quit uploading one at a time. Every 5 pieces I think are okay I will upload instead. I just felt that this was my best one so far . Didn't aim for a vignette but I was too lazy to paint the rest, lol. Want to move on to a city scene.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im glad ur playing around with ur new toy keep it up! try and make some poses with it maybe? or a face? cheeers

Cheers/ your friend PMB

My Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright, got a WIP here and a few sketches of hands/feet . Been working real hard on this stuff, practiced about 14 hours yesterday. My eyes...they burn! Now I'm off to travel to my wretched renaissance/baroque humanities class.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great studies. hands are hard right? but ur making progress, some of them look really good. keep it up

Cheers/ your friend PMB

My Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @PaintMyBrain

Yeah, hands are pretty hard. I can't imagine shading them...which is why I need to go back and do that . Anyway, here are some quick sketches.....if anyone stumbles upon this, can you tell me what your regular sketch settings are?

I usually have Shape Dynamics (under F5 brushes) set to Size Jitter - Pen Pressure. Other Dynamics ---> Both settings on pen pressure. Is that what most folk do?

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I go like you do with my PS I really suck at computors so I don't really know what I use haha. I like the shetches, Its fun that you try out your imagination

Cheers/ your friend PMB

My Sketchbook!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not done with this yet, but I'm very pleased with it so far. I downloaded a couple of brushes which have helped enormously, especially that grassy brush. The colors are exactly what I'm aiming for, something vibrant and rich...I hope I can color the rest of it without screwing up horribly. I'm also trying to make the shadows colorful, and it seems to be working so far.

BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just did a speed painting. Came out pretty good.

edit: just worked with it some more

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; October 12th, 2010 at 10:54 PM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anyone else think this looks pixelated? I'm doing this in 800x1200 resolution.

Last edited by Deadlyhazard; October 13th, 2010 at 11:21 PM.
    BLAHBLAHBLAH

Page 1 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7