some new personal works
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: some new personal works

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

some new personal works

hey guys its been a while so i thought i would post some of my personal stuff ive done. still not a professional but i think im getting heaps better. let me know what you think

Attached Images Attached Images        
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These look pretty good! I think you need to improve on your focus. The first picture is pretty good in this regard. The second picture gets a little worse because the grass and trees are calling some attention from the horseman, but it's still good. Then in the third you can see EVERY LEAF in the background. That's a huge attention stealer. and the last one had scribbly shading and colors everywhere.

Here's some things to try
    Only fully render one thing in your piece and leave background elements vague. Have the most extreme value and color contrast in your area of focus and tone the contrast down in the rest of the piece. Have only your central focus sharp, let everything else be fuzzy. Only detail what's in the light and leave things in shadow up to question or vice versa.

Less important, but why is there skin and muscle on some of your creatures if they're supposed to be skeletons?

sketchbook blog tumblr

The key to getting better at anything is to do it a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As Vertical said, I think improving on focus would be nice, since it would give your pieces a lot more crispness, which is something that would really take your art up and above. For the second one, I really like how grainy and textured it looks, but the creature's right leg looks a bit stiff/like it's lacking some joints in there. I also really like the increased amount of color in the third and final images.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vertical- cheers for the crits. yea im still struggling with not rendering every last part of the piece. still work to zoomed in i think, and am missing the overall picture. these all have different levels of refinement as im learning what works and doesnt work for my particular way of doing things. my next one ill definatly take that advise on rendering only the focal area and leave the rest suggested.

rheni- thanks for the kind words. working in colour is not my forte but the only way ill get better is by practicing. and yes i see the problem with the horse now that you pointed it out. ill jump on fixing that

Members who have read this thread: 3