Art: Flyer making?

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Flyer making?

Thanks

Flyer making?

I'm frankly not as good at graphic design as I would like to be, especially when it comes to fliers. Most of my time in the past has been spent on drawing. What makes a good flier? I always feel like fliers should have a fair amount of 'stuff' on them. And it seems like other peoples' fliers do that and do it well and it looks awesome.

The solutions seem obvious when other people come up with them yet for me, I look at a blank monitor and can't figure out where to start. Or I'll come up with maybe the font and a border. Then I just give up and scrap it.

I'm in university but my teachers aren't very helpful. I don't get as much time to practice this as I want because a lot of time in school is spent doing other things (which aren't as practical imo). I do have an internship but I feel like the work I do is lacking, yet I'm not sure how to approach graphic design.

See my Sketchbook!!!!!!!!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    The basics are all the same whether approaching a flyer or sales book. I generally approach GD in the same way as Illustration. Quick thumbnails first and work out the smaller details later. When you get too caught up in small things like the typography early in the process, it can actually end up killing the great idea you started with.

Like everything, practice a lot, study a lot. Collect random pieces that have great design and try to break down what makes it appealing.

Please PM me if you'd like an individual crit.

idrawyouonthesubway
    huxleycreative

Thanks
    Thanks prepsage.

Here is a fake flyer I made on Illustrator. This is about where I am now.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Disciplette; September 27th, 2010 at 04:51 PM.

Thanks
    It looks nice.

However, you may want to make the text stand out more at the bottom page by changing color or saturation. The pale yellow does not read too well on the light blue in the background, I think.

Thanks
    Alright, take 2...

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Very nice!

Much better, and it even fits the color scheme better.
    Good stuff.

Thanks
    I suggest you read a book on typography. Typographic Design: Form and Communication is a good read. And of course practice.

Thanks
    Thank you for the suggestion. My school library has that book so I don't even have to pay for it.

Thanks
    Well I like the orange present is a great contrast with the blue-green background. You're working with a good palette. You choice of type is alright, I've seen that font a lot but it seems appropriate. In general, my main concern is the positioning of elements. You have a lot of negative space in the upper half of the poster and mostly all of the content is crammed into the bottom half. I also feel like too much of the present is being cropped off on the right side. You might want to think about bringing the present more into the center and pushing it up closer to the top. You might even get away with making it larger.

As far as general Graphic Design tips go, I would say that the best thing you could do is just familiarize yourself with other people's work. Josef Muller Brockmann and David Carson are two great places to start and represent two polar opposites in design. Try to get your hands on a good book on the history of Graphic Design. I still have a text book on the subject left over from college and I still get a bunch of inspiration from from time to time.

Lastly check out these two sites- between them there is a LOT of great work http://www.commarts.com/
    http://www.behance.net/

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.