Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Novos -- a science fiction film

http://novosfilm.wordpress.com/

Hello all,

I figure that since this project necessitates a lot of design work and concept art, this would be the place to post. I'd like to put the word out -- and, seriously, I'm really looking for feedback -- for my short sci-fi film Novos. Novos will act both as my thesis project and a collaborative work featuring the talent of creative contributors from around the world. The production will be jointly produced by students from USC and NYU, and will include work from professionals in Seattle, LA, New York, London, and more. We've already added multiple CG artists and concept artists to the team, and will have a 3-time Oscar winning sound mixer consulting for all aspects of the film's sound design and mix.

The project is currently in pre-production, and will be for the next 9 months; filming will take place around Seattle, WA, in June 2011. This extended pre-production period will allow for both the development of the film's complex CG assets and physical props, based on the fantastic artwork of the film's concept artists, and the time necessary for the ambitious fundraising plans. Here's a basic breakdown:

Story
    2000 years ago, humanity left a toxic Earth in search of a new home among the stars, leaving behind an army of synthetic organisms to terraform and re-cultivate the planet as a failsafe. Now, a human military scout returns to a home he’s never known and comes face to face with a biosphere that has evolved and become very hostile to humans.

Budget: $30,000 approx.
    Start date: June 2011
    Shooting Format: RED 4k
    Final length: 8 minutes

In all aspects of the production -- concept design, cinematography, CG effects, sound design, etc -- I'm aiming for nothing short of the quality exhibited by Carl Rinsch's short “The Gift” (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOZkLIwbRrw).

If you're interested in contributing to the film, or would just like to learn more about it, please contact me by PM or at: brebner@usc.edu
    I can provide you with a copy of the script and more detail on the production plan.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Sounds like Wall-E meets Terminator.

"Astronomy offers an aesthetic indulgence not duplicated in any other field. This is not an academic or hypothetical attraction and should require no apologies, for the beauty to be found in the skies has been universally appreciated for unrecorded centuries."

4. The Following User Says Thank You to s.ketch For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    I am abundantly okay with that mashup comparison.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,331 Times in 1,015 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by BuckWeisel View Post
    agreed, but you should add some vampires in their to spice things up a bit.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Krato View Post
    agreed, but you should add some vampires in their to spice things up a bit.
    Did I forget to mention that these are vampire robots and the returning humans are all space werewolves? Shoot, I knew I left something out...

But seriously, the background premise is similar to Wall-E (which is one of my favorite films), but after that completely different.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to cinematical For This Useful Post:

Hai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No offense, but your story is nothing too new or interesting, though I do like that space craft you posted.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    No offense, but your story is nothing too new or interesting, though I do like that space craft you posted.
    No offense taken. I'm fully aware that the premise doesn't jump as original, though I don't think premise dictates the originality or quality of story. I do, however, need to work on the quick synopsis, because it's not particularly good as-is.

I'm always open to suggestions and critiques, if you wouldn't mind reading the script!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,014 Times in 376 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Don't worry too much about being clever and original. Focus on creating a good story, well told. Remember your Aristotle - the spectacle is the least important aspect

Good luck with your project!

In the future, everyone will have 15 minutes of privacy.

Portfolio
    Sketchblog
    Facebook art page

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to squidmonk3j For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's some more of the fantastic concept art. This is an example of the iterative design work the artists and I are doing for the synthetic creatures in the film.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here’s a glimpse at the very first promotional materials for Novos — postcards and a bookmark! Very special thanks to Tom McDowell for the artwork and Jim Brebner for the printing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seems like a cool project. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished movie.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to CruShTinbOX For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CruShTinbOX View Post
    Seems like a cool project. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished movie.
    Thanks! I'm looking forward to seeing it too!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 849 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I think your plan doesn't seem too half baked. You have a reasonable budget and deadline established. The story isn't too complicated. I'm afraid the designs are too close to the halo play book, but that's okay, you're still early on in development and have time to find your voice. There is a hint of professionalism to the design work though. Best of luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Raoul Duke View Post
    I think your plan doesn't seem too half baked. You have a reasonable budget and deadline established. The story isn't too complicated. I'm afraid the designs are too close to the halo play book, but that's okay, you're still early on in development and have time to find your voice. There is a hint of professionalism to the design work though. Best of luck.
    Thanks. I'm actually interested to know where you're seeing the Halo influence -- I'm not questioning your insight, but I'm probably a little to close to the design work to see it objectively and I'm not seeing it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It certainly doesn't sound too bad - and hell, I'd be willing to sacrifice 8 minutes of my life to watch it. I'm interested to see how you'd be able to pull of a good sci-fi plot in 8 minutes - Wall-E took an hour and a half. Either way, wish you the best of luck and will keep and eye on this - I'll probably get around to reading more indepth later on.

Sketchbook of the Now|Visual Lovemaking|Abominables
    I do that thing where you scalp cars-salesmen and call it art.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Lintire View Post
    It certainly doesn't sound too bad - and hell, I'd be willing to sacrifice 8 minutes of my life to watch it. I'm interested to see how you'd be able to pull of a good sci-fi plot in 8 minutes - Wall-E took an hour and a half. Either way, wish you the best of luck and will keep and eye on this - I'll probably get around to reading more indepth later on.
    The key is to distill the story down to basic character elements, and then tease the potential of a much larger story and world. Wall-E would have probably worked as a short story, in terms purely of the character development. It also happened to be a story that worked great in extended form.

It'll be a challenge, but I do hope you follow the production and take a look at the film when it's finished!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by cinematical View Post
    Thanks. I'm actually interested to know where you're seeing the Halo influence -- I'm not questioning your insight, but I'm probably a little to close to the design work to see it objectively and I'm not seeing it.
    First off the presentation has those generic honeycomb shape and it conveys the same emotion. The first attempt at vehicle design looks just like something from halo. The second draft of vehicles I find more unique, but they look like covenant weapons. The character design on your blog reminds me of dark sector. I guess the over all problem is I'm not seeing a culture in your designs. I'd recommend you look at artists like Syd Mead. He really had a talent for giving you the indication of a living breathing culture of the future. Even if it was just a piece of tech design you can see how it reflects a society, it's personality, morale and economy.

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First off the presentation has those generic honeycomb shape and it conveys the same emotion. The first attempt at vehicle design looks just like something from halo. The second draft of vehicles I find more unique, but they look like covenant weapons. The character design on your blog reminds me of dark sector. I guess the over all problem is I'm not seeing a culture in your designs. I'd recommend you look at artists like Syd Mead. He really had a talent for giving you the indication of a living breathing culture of the future. Even if it was just a piece of tech design you can see how it reflects a society, it's personality, morale and economy.
    Generic honeycomb shape... perhaps I'm just not knowledgable enough about concept art, but what's that?

Regarding the culture behind the designs, you're spot on for these early sketches -- they're not nearly developed enough to evoke something really creating them. That's what the artists and I are working on right now: establishing rationale for why this particular culture would implement this particular technology in this particular way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well forget about the honeycomb shape. I just have some good news and bad news. Good news is your presentation holds up to the big dogs. The bad news is the big dogs all present themselves as "me too".

Attached Images Attached Images  

26. The Following User Says Thank You to Raoul Duke For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well forget about the honeycomb shape. I just have some good news and bad news. Good news is your presentation holds up to the big dogs. The bad news is the big dogs all present themselves as "me too".
    Ohhhhh -- now I get what you're referring to. Yeah, the blog presentation/style is something whipped up quickly a while back just to get the site up and running. I'm currently working on getting a more professional site up that uses a much more consistent and original design.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,153 Times in 1,067 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    First impressions are everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by CaW_ View Post
    First impressions are everything.
    Absolutely. Which is exactly why I'm working on a more professional site. I fully recognize that the current blog doesn't evince the level of professionalism or originality the film requires.

Anyone want to help design a computer interface for 2000 years in the future? I'd like the website to reflect the technological interface used in the film, but I don't currently have that design...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some more great concept art, this time by artist Zoran.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More artwork, this time a collaborative piece by Zoran and Tom McDowell. This is very close to a shot that'll be in the actual film.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    A more detailed concept piece of the ship featured in the previous landscape. Artwork again by the masterful Tom McDowell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Check out the newly released promotional poster for the film, by artist Dan McCarthy! The print is titled "The Forest Made Us Talk".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here’s the newest promotional print by the wonderful Dan McCarthy, with additional art by Tom McDowell. It’s titled “Life Keeps Running”, is 13″ by 18.5″, printed digitally on 97# Curious Metallic “Iced Gold” Cover stock, and numbered out of a limited edition of 100. The combination of the fall colors and the “Iced Gold” metallic paper make this print really stunning. The print will be given away as thank-you gifts to anyone who donates $40 or more to the film from this point forward. All proceeds go directly towards making Novos. Also, there are still a few of the previous print, “The Forest Made Us Talk”, so please contact me if you’re interested in getting one.

Check it out at novosfilm.wordpress.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's been far too long since the last update. Here are some of the most recent promotional prints.

"Those Made New" by Kevin Tong

"The Servant of Cybele" by Jay Shaw

We've got a bunch more artwork and prints in the pipeline from artists like JC Richard , Martin Ansin , Chuck Sperry , Eelus , and more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Now this is looking good. You have something truely original goin on. I'm very excited to see how this all turns out. If you can actually translate this to your film, then you'll be in serious business. Like Kubric business.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow cool im lovin it lol its trippy looking at those trees with the tiny animal people scurrying around
    that said i think a good plotline can make this different from the rest of the sci-fi, original or not. there's TONS of sci-fi out there but most of them have really bad storylines

~*the artistic journey is like giving birth, its gonna hurt and you know you suck but you cant give up because there is no such thing as "giving up" in childbirth*~

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.