Photoshop vs Illustrator vs Indesign?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Photoshop vs Illustrator vs Indesign?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Photoshop vs Illustrator vs Indesign?

Hi all,
    haven't posted on this forum before, but now i've been doing some 'new' things i stumbled upon some questions regarding wheter i should use photoshop, illustrator or indesign....
    I have been using photoshop since 1995 or some years before, so i know quite well how to use this software. Illustrator and indesign i have hardly used...

Now here's the issue:
    -I've been drawing 2 snails, nice and colory, airbruh-like and added some text. It's for an "i'm moving-card" for my gf. Now i've done all of it in photoshop, saved it as pdf and had it printed. Looks fine, just as it looked on my screen.
    Now what i was wondering, should i have used illustrator or indesign for this and why?

-I've been working on a (my first) cd-cover for a friend's band. Its a 6 page digipack with lots of photo's, (by me re-designed) logo's and text. And the cd-label itself, also with logo, pics and text. All of this also done in photoshop. Should i have used illustrator or indesign for this too?
    It soon is about to be pressed, printed and shipped, etc...and it's going to be a couple of thousand of them, so i'd hate it to end up with messy graphics ofcourse...

All else i find on the internet, that very much confuses me (but not the specific reason for this thread) is the forest of information about, fonts...what to use and not to use, masterfonts, exporting as pdf, tiff, eps, keeping or not keeping layers, compression..zip, jpeg, no compression.... argggh!!!

tx in advance for tips

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo gonna reply to you with my first post xP

Here is the basic break down of each program. I am currently a graphics design student so I'm still exploring the capabilities of each program but as a general guideline there are times when you should really use a specific program to put together a graphic.

Photoshop - This program works with pixels. Used for photomanipulation and creating artworks with a tablet. Any altering of images and image making/illustrations are done in photoshop. From a designer's point of view NEVER use photoshop to do text/typography, it doesn't have all the options and it draws the text as pixels and looks ugly :<

Illustrator - This program works with vectors, so it's really good for making artworks that involve lots of geometric shapes, also the it has a certain "charm" to it when done correctly (just google some vector graphics to see what I mean). It produces very clean images and can be used to trace images as well, very good for accurate spacing/layout of elements/images. Can be used for text/typography but InDesign is so much better and has a lot more options to play with.

Also if you are creating a logo or anything which will be resized and altered in some shape or form, consider using Illustrator to make it because if it is a vector the image will stay sharp and won't distort when resized.

Illustrator is a very powerful program, however I use it the least out of all the designer softwares from the Adobe Suite because I hate the mechanical look of vectors :< but whenever I need a certain look/effect or that Illustrator look it is so famous for I just have to use it, don't get me wrong it is a wonderful program but I think it is too technical when it comes to creating artwork, so I use photoshop, this is more of a preference thing.

InDesign - This program is used to put together all your images/text/layout to create a complete graphic. I recently just started using this program, never touched it before going to college and I have to say I love it ;D but that's because I'm a HUGE type nerd =]. Any print documents should be made in InDesign, if you want to print stuff you need to do some basic document setups for the printers (eg. set up bleeds and margins etc.) It is wonderful and easy (once you learn how to use) for layouts and GREAT for text. There is a lot of technical stuff, which I'm still learning to create wonderful effects and designs, but trust me when you learn to use the program you will never use PS to create a complete document ever again.

This is a general breakdown of each program and when to use them. However you can always do it your way, just experiment with each program and just get to know their capabilities and limitations.

Enjoy my first post xP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Been rebuilding the entire design in Illustrator...quite a job when ur not really familiar with it...With a lot of googling i am around 80% of rebuilding.

One thing i can't right is a logo i made in PS (300dpi) with a small bevel/emboss...when i drag or place this into Illustrator the (diagonal) edges gets all crummy and jagged, tried saving it in several formats (tif, tga, pdf).

When i make the shape in illustrator itself and go to effects, 3d, there's some bevel and emboss options too, but i can't create the same smooth effect as i had in PS for some reason....

Heres the logo:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Everything can be done in photoshop or illustrator from start to finish.

Photoshop is raster image editing images means you can edit it by painting and adding effects and also its a bit more straight forward.

Illustrator: Vector functions make up each line and fill so making gradient transitions are a bit harder to do, but they are possible with multiple objects. Illustrator is ideal for making logos and other graphics that need to be big and/or resized constantly.

InDesign: Used to arrange all your assets, really good for multipage projects and for getting it ready for the printer.

So if you had an ok layout in photoshop i don't think there was a reason to redo everything in illustrator to be honest. But the best way i found to do things like you need them and efficiently would be all photo editing done in photoshop anything else done in illustrator than combine your assets in InDesign to get it ready for printing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by LuckyDevil View Post
    But the best way i found to do things like you need them and efficiently would be all photo editing done in photoshop anything else done in illustrator than combine your assets in InDesign to get it ready for printing.
    As said in previous posts, i'm quite new to illustrator and totally a blanc when it comes to indesign, so i the only way to find out is by using them i guess..

Funny workaround with the logo i did by the way. I dragged the flat thing to indesign, gave it the appropriate bevel and dragged it back to illustrator...and now it's smooth and just the way i want it!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.