Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
    Thanks

March to Betterness

Time to start a sketchbook.

I've been lurking for a while, and think I'm finally digging in and applying myself to improve my technique and try new things - and most importantly, get back to regularly doing some damn art!

This place is awesome and the work going on here is crazy inspiring. You guys rock!

I've been an engineer for too long and it's time to get my head back out of the code and into some badass. Or whatever. That doesn't sound very good.

Here's some stuff! Crits are highly valued.
    NEWEST WORK IS ON THE LAST PAGE!
    Thanks for droppin' by!
    Last edited by tbaldree; November 29th, 2010 at 03:20 AM. Reason: Thread pic added!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    This was my first stab at the last CHOW, which I discarded.
    Followed by my actual submission-which was a total 180.

The first was done in the way I was comfortable, linework, cleanup, then color.

The second was painted straight and refined. It was a lot more fun to do and had more character.

Thanks
    Did this one today - my wife's WoW character.
    Trying a more interesting direction for the pose and trying to keep my anatomy from going all haywire.

Scribble-paint, and then a pretty refined value pass, then a bunch of color adjustment layers. I'll post a process animated GIF I think, might be fun.

Still getting used to my WACOM tablet - this is my second actual painting with a tablet. I can't believe I used to use a mouse. Good god this is easier.

Trying to get a handle on lighting - I get disheartened in the middle when I start adding color over the value pass and everything looks all horrible and flat. Getting some secondary colored light sources in quickly on layers seems to help me get over that a bit.

I also find I am afraid to let things go all blurry where no detail is required - still so early in the learning stages that it feels like I have to render everything clearly, but obviously, I don't.

Thanks
    Timelapse for fun!

6. The Following User Says Thank You to tbaldree For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    A 3 hour painting tonight. Been browsing through Dave Rapoza's awesome and amazing artwork and decided to do a chubby demon guy in honor of his greatness.
    Last edited by tbaldree; September 21st, 2010 at 03:52 AM. Reason: Better image size - oops, was too big!

Thanks
    I think I might do this week's CHOW - first night's noodling done. Kind of riffing on those crazy sand scorpions from the Middle East.

Thanks
    Woah, this is awesome! Nice compositions, that's the first things I noticed more than your great drawings; wanna see more!
    Don't bother looking at my sketchbook. I haven't updated that thing in years. :/

Thanks
    Thanks a bunch, MiladThaha!

Just a quick scribble tonight, was short on time - dunno if I'll spend any more time on this but it was a fun distraction scribble during builds at work today.

Thanks
    A little cheesecake today - 3.5 hours in Photoshop.
    Built some better brushes today and stripped down to a very small set - just a diagonal squashed circle ( soft and hard versions), and a nice dry brush for paint-y-feeling.

Having a little more luck with skin tones and secondary details now.

I feel like i should have made this some sort of Wizard of Oz thing - she's all Dorothy Gale grown up.

Flying monkey heads on the ground!

Thanks
    We started an in-office sketchclub today.
    Topic #1?

BATTLE NUN!

Hells yeah.

Only about 4 hours in now, but doing something more ambitious than my previous attempts this time out - an animal, an axe-slinging nun, and a full enviro.

Sacrelicious!

This is just a cropped WIP - the full piece is much larger, but I've probably got another 10 hours until this is actually done. Hopefully going to squeeze in another hour or so tonight.

I'll post an epic WIP animation when this is complete - got 16 stages saved off already, and there's at least 20 more to go.

Thanks
    Ended up being really dissatisfied with the last iteration and have gone through two more - hated the previously posted pose, there were lots of anatomical issues, the overall piece had a terrible composition and the eye just scattered everywhere, so I went back to the drawing board.

here's where I'm at so far - about another hour or two of cleanup and adjustments to make I think but I'm reasonably happy with it. The cloth on the upper arms is terrible - looking for decent fold reference for this kind of sleeve to see if I can get it all corrected. Cloth is still my nemesis.

I'm experimenting a bit with outlines - I think I'll be blurring and sharpening varying sections to try to lead the eye, or at least that's what I think I'm going to try to do. The gloves are still pretty half-baked and I need some more details to get worked in to things like the bible and the belts and the sword.

I'd love crits to help me bring this to a more finished state - I want to try to go the extra mile and really get this polished if I can.

Thanks
    A WIP anim of progress so far for fun.

Thanks
    ^_^ Hey! Nice stuff here! I really like the last one! It's the coolest and the best one! ^_^
    She has got a nice contrast but no ambient light from behind, fire should be a bit lighter than everything. She has got good proportions ^_^!
    Keep it up!

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Kristoff For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Kristoff - thank you very much for the comments!

I think I'm going to call this finished for now - I added the backlight you mentioned and fixed a lot of general details in the picture. The sword rests on the shoulder now, the sleeves have been removed ( the cloth was terrible ), the left arm length has been fixed and the book no longer appears to be levitating in space. I tried to ground her a bit more in the picture by adding some detail to the ground she was standing on and softened some of the unfocused edges to try to give it a bit more depth. I added a bit of radial blur to the periphery of the image to try to keep the eye focused inward.

I think this is the most finished piece I have ever done - I learned a great deal trying to bring it to completion.

Time to move on to the next project!
    Last edited by tbaldree; September 29th, 2010 at 12:00 AM.

Thanks
    Yap! I Think it turned out great ^_^
    If you think the cloth was terrible why not to try drawing some cloth from life? That experience I think should be fun and really useful!! ^_^
    Waiting for cloth studies! ^_^

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast