Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    Oh heeeeeeeey!

Time to get cracking on next week's CHOW and get the bad taste of that last piece I posted in my SB out of my mouth.
    Lady in the Lake, WIP #1.

First one of these I've done a sketch in pencil for first, and then scanned (just the primary figure). I kinda dig the way it is going. Prolly 3 hours in so far. Going to try to do a 'real' background this time that is coherent with the rest of the piece. Foliage AND water - I must be dumb.
    Last edited by tbaldree; October 11th, 2010 at 04:17 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    WIP #2

Lots of cleanup!

Thanks
    A little change of pace tonight -
    a photo study using a set of painterly brushes. Trying new things to see what seems to stick best for me so that I can develop a good painting workflow.

1.5 hour study of good ol' tall dark and beardy. Not great.

Thanks
    ^_^ heeeey you've done a lot!!! ^_^ Great keep it going!!!

Thanks
    KristoffThanks so much! I was just dropping by your sketchbook - those new figure sketches are great!

Here's a quickie Demon portrait for today for kicks. Have some more ambitious things on the burner but not really happy with any of them so this was nice to do as a break.

I usually seem to slap stuff around with high opacity with the stylus, especially when figuring out some sort of composition. With this I went really light and was much happier with the sketch I had to work from, and it seemed to make the rest of the process a little more enjoyable. Going to try doing a soft-sketch after blocking out whatever I do next to see if I can manage it with more complex stuff.

Did a few pencil sketches in my offline SB today, but too lazy to scan them.

Thanks
    This WIP looks so intriguingly I like #48 too

Thanks
    woow nice stuffs

Thanks
    inspectorsokar Thanks a bunch!

in2eternity Many thanks!

'Nother of my wife's WoW characters for tonight's sketch. Meh. Never did come up with a composition I liked much. A little lazy. Might try a totally different approach later until I feel I got something I liked. Oh well.

Thanks
    Going to be spending a while longer on this - this is just an early WIP.
    I'm taking a crack at some of the ArtOrder briefs that John Schindinette posted recently here -

http://artorder.ning.com/group/wizar...t-descriptions

I'm doing #2 of the class illustration set that he posted secondarily. Kind of fun!

The order is as follows -

#1 MALE HALF-ELF SORCERER, in an active pose, facing the viewer. This CLASS ILLUSTRATION should use a format similar to those in the 4e PH.

Male half-elf sorcerer
    Features: tanned skin, dark green-black hair.
    Armor: Cloth armor, no shield.
    Weapon: Holds an ornate brass orb.
    Action: Active pose, facing viewer. The sorcerer should look like he’s in the center of a storm of swirling fire, elemental power that originates from him but is almost beyond his control. But very powerful and self-assured.

I have lots of cleanup to do and need to start working the background and spell elements, and need to redo his right hand completely and figure out how the ornate orb is going to work. I'm going to pull the fire arc into the foreground so that it pases in front of his feet and lower legs a bit.

Thanks
    Wrapped this one up - here's the final and a process anim.

Thanks
    I've decided to (really belatedly) do the ArtOrder 'Gotta Have a Hook' challenge, even though there's no challenge anymore. It seemed like an enjoyable thing to do just for the hell of it.

Changing things up again from a process perspective - I did a really clean line-art drawing first and established almost all details. I also did a page or two of scribbles to work out the characters beforehand, paying more attention to what they were wearing, pose, and overall composition in a bunch of itty thumbnails.

Instead of painting over the sketch immediately, I'm doing a lot of washes with overlays that preserve it but get the lighting and color in through more subtle stages.
    Looks a lot different than the other stuff I've been doing - I'm really interested to see how it works out in the end. Compare this to the other dwarf from the previous page - pretty different.

This is a very cropped WIP - the full composition is 11.25x4 - I'll do a more full WIP once I've spent a little more time on the hook horror.

Thanks
    Very cool character designs. The raccoon guy is just adorable.

No crits really. Just keep going and don't forget to do also studies everyday.
    Sketchbook

"You might be disappointed if you fail, but you will be doomed if you don't try"

Thanks
    Your work is soooo good, love the dwarf! (page 1)
    If you are still doing ppls toons heres mine

(http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...hilas&cn=Zahir)

Hes not geared that good though lol

thx keep up the good work

Thanks
    Divorahk - thanks! After I wrap this up I might take a crack at that character - or maybe if I need a break from this one

ismo - much appreciated! Badass sketchbook, BTW-

Here's a full-frame WIP of the previous post - got some more detail work done on the dwarf and a bit more of the BK, as well as a further roughin of the Hook Horror. Still tons and tons to do.

Thanks
    A quick evening painting - portraits are fun!
    This one's the Amazon from Matt Dixon's book.

I think I finally found a 'painty' brush that I like - it doesn't leave horrible regular patterns and doesn't require constant rescaling to mask its digitalness.

http://www.melaniedelon.com/?p=510
    I used Melanie Delon's smooth2 brush, which I like a lot - this was done entirely with that brush.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast