Thread: A3 scanners

Thanks

A3 scanners

okay, long story short ive got a load of comic / graphic novel style sequential artwork on large a3 size bristol boards that needs scanning into a pc for a basic promotion etc, unfortunately these scanners cost a fortune. Does anyone know where i would be able to use one (either free of charge or for a small fee) i live in the uk if that helps, thanks in advance for any advice.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by haljarrett View Post
    okay, long story short ive got a load of comic / graphic novel style sequential artwork on large a3 size bristol boards that needs scanning into a pc for a basic promotion etc, unfortunately these scanners cost a fortune. Does anyone know where i would be able to use one (either free of charge or for a small fee) i live in the uk if that helps, thanks in advance for any advice.
    This one is decent and pretty cheap:

http://www.amazon.com/Mustek-Express...4914535&sr=8-1

Most complaints are with driver issues and Macs - I have a PC and have had no issues. It's not a great high end scanner, but it's certainty adequate for line work.

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    The one big downside of the A3 Mustek is that is uses a CIS rather than a CCD sensor, so the depth of field is very limited. Anything that's not directly touching the scanner glass will be fuzzy. This shouldn't be a problem for linework on paper, but can be with paintings, for instance.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    I suggest buying an older model of the newest large-format scanners on ebay. I just bought an Epson Expression 1640xL for about $500. The newest model, the 100000xl is about $2000, even used. Just buy from a reputable dealer, make sure there are plenty of pictures to prove everything's included and nothing is cracked, and you can get a great deal on a scanner that ordinarily would be way out of your price range.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to RyerOrdStar For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    thanks guys, im gonna look into these second hand/or cheap models and see if theres anything suitable, i also thought maybe check with my local library or something?i just wonder how people with very little capital manage to get their larger work scanned in...