iPad Alternatives

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

iPad Alternatives

I have my reasons not to liking the iPad. I own a ipod Touch and I own Autodesk's Sketchbook Pro. On occasion, I've spent some time drawing on the iPad/iPod.

Had S. Jobs not strong armed Flash out of their system and had more standard features like SD cards, USB ports, and camera been included with the iPad, I would have one right now.

As a sketching device and using Sketchbook Pro and a Pogo stylus, the iPad is a FANTASTIC thing to carry around. I absolutely loved using it for drawing.

However, when I look at the list of missing features above, I wonder how they thought they could sell their device in the first place. But given the fact that there were just no other devices out, it had no competition...

I REALLY want an "open source" device and I really like the idea of Android. So far, there are just so very few options for both software AND hardware.

I've seen no Android programs and the ONLY tablet that looks like it will come to market any time soon is the Samsung Galaxy Tab. There are a few others but tracking information down on those is like trying to capture smoke in a birdcage.

I've sent Autodesk an email requesting that they build Sketchbook for Anroid...Perhaps others could join my cause...wink, wink, nudge, nudge, ya know what I mean? I've not heard anything else from them.

The Samsung Galaxy Tab drama has been building and though it's slightly smaller, it looks like they're going to be releasing a WiFi only version after their 3G Version.

Perhaps this could be a place where we start to collect information on these two fronts: Software/Hardware.

Last edited by ArtJunky; September 21st, 2010 at 01:58 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Links

Samsung Galaxy Tab
    http://www.samsung.com/us/article/do...he-galaxy-tab-

Looks like it will be out earlier than I thought. Still no confirmation on the WiFi-only version.

WeTab
    http://wetab.mobi/en/additional-information

Archos 101
    http://www.archos.com/products/ta/ar...try=us&lang=en
    I'm starting to find more of these that I wasn't seeing before...It's amazingly difficult to track these down...
    Any ways, this Archos 10" tablet looks pretty good and I'm seeing some of the features that I wanted to see. Reviews are hard to find on this one and, unfortunately, Archos has some previous tablets that didn't work out too good.

Last edited by ArtJunky; September 21st, 2010 at 01:56 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the sane price I'd say there's no competition. I'm using my motion LE 1600 now. If you want to find out more try the Warm topic. There's a thread called LI 1700 Cintiq alternative or something like that.

If you're willing to pay top dollar , search motion motion computing J3500 .

you will get a desktops power in a tablet format with touch and pressure sensitive pen.

Interesting to note how difficult it is to make a post w/ handwriting and have it edited nicely

errors left in to make a point. Though it is my first day w/ the tablet

Thanks for helping me. Please allow me to he human. I'll do my best, likewise for you. I've found more peace in forgiveness than in the pursuit of flawlessness.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just get the iPad. The bitching about Flash is way overblown. In the 8 months I've had my iPad, I have only once encountered a Flash issue, and the site had a more usable app anyway. I get that Flash is still a big part of the web, but in my informed opinion it is a minor issue to miss out on this device over. If there is one thing the iPad doesn't suffer it is a lack of content.

And the fact is, there are no alternatives at this moment, and won't be for some time. And when more Android tablets do come out, it won't change the fact that while iOS currently has over a dozen awesome art and design apps, Android has none (at least last I checked). In my opinion this has nothing to do with the virtues of iOS vs. Android as mobile operating systems, and everything to with the hardware. It's just a fact that Apple still has the best capacitive touch system on the market. No other phone or tablet is as smooth and responsive. And since capacitive touch is already a pretty innacurate input system, this is essential for art and design apps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So you are looking for "open source" and you first step is to write an email to a company to port their commercial and closed source program to another device?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, since beginning this thread, I've seen G-Tab at the Office Depot and I've seen about 2 other tablets that are available now. Many more are soon to be out.

Not to get to far into a "flame war" about Apple but...

"The flash issue is overblown..."

The Flash issue isn't over-blown. I'm a Web Designer and the iPad is a devise that doesn't play a VERY IMPORTANT component of the web. I've spent countless hours learning ActionScript 3 and while I understand the hold Adobe has had over that sort of content, it's still there whether Steve Job wants to acknowledge it or not. The irony here is that Jobs is rebelling against closed software by trying to promote html5 but is doing so while creating a closed system on the Apple devices himself. So, no, I don't buy Apples mock indignation about Adobe's hold on Flash content.

As far as the apps issue, as long as you can get to the web and view flash content, there are a lot "apps" that do JUST AS MUCH as any ipad app. And if you add the Android Market along with the possibility of a tablet that runs windows...the options are wide open.

The problem is that the devices are slow to arrive. That's changing and it's about time.

Top dollar comment? I'm not making a living off my illustrations so I can't really justify a $2000 purchase. I can afford 4-6 hundred though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Yiako View Post
    So you are looking for "open source" and you first step is to write an email to a company to port their commercial and closed source program to another device?
    Yep, I did that with both Adobe and AutoDesk Sketchbook...that's really just a drop in the ocean.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Was just revisiting AutoDesk's site and I found this nugget...

NEW! You can now get SketchBook Mobile on your Android™ powered device

So, there it is...

http://www.appbrain.com/app/sketchbo...com.sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    1.) Samsung Galaxy Tab
    2.) Iphone 2G
    3.) That Chinese Apad (Too feeble though lol. For a price of 100 dollars. This will satisfy your craving for iPod on a short period time.)

paintings for sale | artwork for sale

The true work of art is but a shadow of the divine perfection.
    - Michelangelo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    In regards the HP Slate as an Alternative, as well as up and coming slates/tablets with N-trig as the digitizer (Fujitsu, Motion Computing)

If all you want to use is Sketchbook Pro, ArtRage, & Manga Studio, then the HP Slate and really anything with N-trig will be fine.

There are some issues with the Pen..but if you intend on using any Wintab required Program like Photoshop, Corel Painter, Sai, etc....Avoid N-trig like the plague. Their Wintab driver only works with Photoshop...and even then it doesn't work that well. The digitizer has a dead space before it registers pressure making sketching or any single fine line near impossiable to draw. You could use it for some things....but if your used to Wacom and Photoshop...you will grow to hate N-trig.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lenovo's upcoming slate.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2375226,00.asp

This one's 3 months away, but it's the first one I've seen that does everything it needs to, with a price that hits the sweet spot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Asus EP121 with wacom digitizer and windows 7 sound cool, but haven't played with it (yet).

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Avoid digitizers

I think the days of using a digitizer are over. There's just too much of a disconnect between what you are doing and what you see.

I've owned a couple wacom tablets but since trying out pc tablets and cintiqs, I don't think digitizers offer enough. They were nice when there was nothing else.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just got an iPad 2 the other day. Its amazing. I was shocked and how easy and useful it was. Now im trying to get rid of my wacom tablets. Ive spent more time on the iPad 2 in 2 days then 2 years of having the wacom tablet...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.