View Poll Results: Vote for your favorite Slimer!

Voters
56. You may not vote on this poll
  • porcupine

1 1.79%
  • JanJager

1 1.79%
  • Thujon

1 1.79%
  • Homerid

16 28.57%
  • Si Swe

0 0%
  • Potbelly

3 5.36%
  • lkjhgfdsa

2 3.57%
  • Vaghauk

2 3.57%
  • ScaryPotato

1 1.79%
  • (lark

3 5.36%
  • Kir Nuyts

0 0%
  • Edward B

16 28.57%
  • shockowaffel

7 12.50%
  • skullbeast

0 0%
  • matias

3 5.36%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,902 Times in 436 Posts
    Follows
    Following

C.O.W. #188_Simple Slimy_Voting!

C.O.W. #188 Simple Slimy - VOTING!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ROUND #188 VOTING

Topic: Simple Slimy

Deadline for the voting: Monday October 4th 2010

Posting thread (closed): http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=176212

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by scorge; September 28th, 2010 at 12:52 AM.
    Check it out
    Blog, we've all got em:http://davesrightmind.blogspot.com/
    Creatures Galore!:www.creaturespot.com
    Full gallery o' stuff:davesrightmind.deviantart.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: porcupine

Concept: Muluan Gua Lendir
    The Muluan Gua Lendir has developed a special type of organs that effectively breaks down the chitin and other undigestible parts of their prey into a thick mucus that is covering their entire body, prevents their delicate skin from dehydration and gives effective protection against predators because of its foul odour and taste. This nocturnal carnivore is native to the large caves of Borneo and its main diet consists of insects and small vertebraes.

Last edited by porcupine; September 23rd, 2010 at 11:20 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,398 Times in 388 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: JanJager

Concept: Slimamander
    This blind and toothless scavenger had to cover its food with slime before swallow it through its trunk.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Simple Slimy

Artist: Thujon

Concept: Mucus maximus

In the caves of Borneo has been made an astonishing discovery.
    An unknown species now called "Mucus maximus"has nested in the caves. Through millenia, undisturbed by men it has developped through evolution and has built up a very unique skillset.

Its defense mechanism is also its reprodution way. This slimy creature never stops producing slime which filled with sperms and other slimy liquids. The slimes smell is very strong and it is very slippery. Like that no creature actually wants to feed of these creatures. And if they wanted they cannot reach the creature. With its spiked legs it has a good footing on the ground...
    Females never actually see its reproduction partner. Beacause of the slimes stark smell it can be found easily. As if not enough they have 3 nostrils on each side of the face...

They are herbivores and eat only moss like plants, which allow to produce even more slime due to their complex digestion system, which can actually be seen.

// Sorry for my bad english :-), was real fun, thanks!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist:Homerid

Concept: Borneo Slime-spitter

This jumping creature lives deep inside the Borneo caves, and they hardly ever see the sunlight. They are blind but have a developed sense of smell and hearing, and can detect even the most delicate ground vibrations through its long fingers. It uses a toxic slime that produces inside its body, spouting it through its nostrils to immobilize and catch small preys including bugs and smaller salamanders. It also uses it to digest its preys, and as a defense mechanism against predators.

A.Я.M

old deviantART - forgotten Sketchbook - outdated Portfolio

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Si_Swe

Concept: Blundering Gramdomph

Discovered dwelling in the caves in the jungles of Borneo was the curious species, the Blundering Gramdomph. Being somewhere between pachyderm and reptile, the Gramdomph is most notable for its distinctive, orange (highly visible) digestive system. The Gramdomph's diet relies almost entirely on the Gramdomph root, and its life revolves around the root. Emerging from its 18 hour-a-day nap in a cool cave, the Blundering Gramdomph will seek out a spot to dig for the large root, using it's tusks and lower front teeth. Upon finding it, the beast will chew it two to three times, swallow it and proceed to puke violently from large spouts built into it's vertebra. The Gramdomph root is both very spicy and mildly poisonous. This, combined with the amount of dirt ingested from the digging process has created the Blundering Gramdomph's unique digestive system. It's digestive system is comprised mostly of a giant, orange bile sac, with several livers floating within it. It quickly breaks down the anything within it. A small organ sorts the poisonous materials out and funnels them to the spouts in the vertebra or to the secondary and tertiary spouts if the amount of poison is particularly large. The poisoned bile is then expelled out, usually into the forest around and onto the beast itself. This bile serves as a protective deterrent, to ensure the large beast is less of a target for would-be predators. The bile is extremely pungent in addition to being poisonous and corrosive.

Pictured: The Blundering Gramdomph rushes to a nearby watering hole after swallowing a particularly spicy Gramdomph root.

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Borneo Bile Bug

Artist: Potbelly

Concept: Borneo Bile Bug
    From deep within the caves of Borneo, the bile bug thrives feeding on fallen animals that fall into the small but deep caves under the jungle, the bile the creatures uses helps to find prey in the cave, and also helps digest, as it has a simple digestive system, most bile bugs grow no bigger than a human size thumbnail.

This is my first Submission to COW, figured I need to get my head back in the game, was alot of fun, looking forward to the next one, which i can aply more time to.

Last edited by Devilfruit; September 23rd, 2010 at 11:05 PM.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Devilfruit For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: lkjhgfdsa

Concept: SkinThinner

Slime is so useful.
    It smells pretty and tastes wonderful; who doesn't like playing in slime?
    The SkinThinner likes to share its slime with everyone! Makes everything better it does, like tomatoe sauce does for processed meatproducts...

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Borneo Slime Monster

Artist: vaghauk

Concept: Borneo Slime Monster
    the Borneo Slime Monster is an giant amphibious creature that dwells in the caves at the shores of the Mahakam river.
    It is omnivorous but it got no teeth.the abundant slime it segregates is corrosive and the creature uses it to dissolve its prey into an softer substance which is easier to absorb.It is androgynous and it hatches dozens of eggs on its own back-enbedded in slimy "egg-warts".
    It is believed that the Borneo Slime Monsters where the result of genetical experiments conducted in an now abandoned,secret research center near the Mahakam river.
    Name:  borneo slime monster finalrun copy.jpg
Views: 2820
Size:  509.9 KB

Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: ScaryPotato

Concept: Kalimantani Jellyphant
    Off the coast of Borneo is a lush island where the forest canopy grows so dense that no light reaches the ground. Over eons, animals here have evolved to handle the strange conditions. Many would-be herbivores have adapted to consume flesh, as no leafy plants can survive in the perpetual darkness. The largest of these is the Elephas Carnivosa, or Kalimantani Jellyphant. A distant cousin of the Asiatic elephant, it moves through the darkness in search of its next meal. Too large to actively hunt, they are typically considered scavengers, though there are reports of Jellyphants flooding termite colonies with slime, then slurping up the termite-festooned ooze. Most commonly though, the slime produced from their nasal glands is used to cover any carcasses they find, sealing in the odor that would otherwise attract other hungry rivals, as well as preventing further decay from exposure to the tropical air.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: (lark

Concept: subterranean skeet beast

Name:  simplyslimeyfinal.jpg
Views: 2555
Size:  200.6 KB

living deep in the jungles of Borneo, the subterranean skeet beast resides primarily in underground tight spaced tunnels (for itself at least, considering it's average size is that of a buffalo) that it burrows over the course of its life.

through-out the tunnels it launches a highly viscous fluid that coats its lairs walls and floor. the fluid has a few functions. one, it's used in a similar way as spiderweb in that it entangles and captures prey that then becomes easy pickins for the skeet beast. the fluid (or skeet as the natives call it) also has a very powerful aphrodisiac scent that attracts many small mammals to it such as rabbit, squirrel, and in some cases larger mammals such as venison.

once this spurtting nightmare feeds on its poor prey, it digests the meat and sinew for nutrition, but processes the bones and fur within itself into a further supply of skeet which it stores in its large transparent sac near its back. when the skeet is ready to be used again, it constricts its sac, and forces the skeet to jizz out 4 sphincters located around the top and side of its head, spurting and coating its lair for the next prey to fall into its debaucherous trap.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: KirNuyts
    Concept: Cave Slimer
    This little creature attracts flies and little bugs in his neon green slime, wich he produces trough his several nostrals (yummie). It can even make a slime web! The flies go into the light and the slimer grabs them out with his huge claw on his head. They live in caves and travell in groups. They are the size of a hedgehog and don t seem to be verry aggresive...tough no one ever dares to enter their caves!
    Name:  #188--Simple-SlimeyFinal.jpg
Views: 2474
Size:  255.5 KB

Thanks for the tip with the fly guys!!!! it is really usefull...I am going to try to finish the fly in it but for now i need a break... i didn t had time to put up a background; Thanks!!!! alll good entries I will vote for you guys!

_.·´¯`·-> Choose Life <-·´¯`·._
    Check me out

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Edward B

Concept: Borneo cave dweller
    The Cave dwellers of Borneo secretes a sticky mucus all around its lair deep within the caves, the slimy goo lures prey into the cave
    as it mimics pheromones possessed by other creatures. The Cave dweller then catapults its slimy tongue much like a chameleon in order to quickly attack and devour its prey.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Shockowaffel

Concept: Cave-Fisher
    This little guy produces a lot of very sticky and flexible slime through the skin of its tail. It fixes the slime at the cave wall or pillars and jumps to other places, weaving lines of slime through the cave, on which it can sit an fish insects with its sticky glowing tail.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Skullbeast

Concept: Borvakian croc
    Borvakian crocs wait near the shore and poison the water with a deadly ooze. Later they swim downstream to collect their meals.

Last edited by skullbeast; September 27th, 2010 at 12:32 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Matias

Concept: Greater Northern Cave Secretor

The Greater Northern Cave Secretor is a solitary predator, using numerous slime producing glands along its underside to secrete a thick resinous slime that coats the floor of the cave that it inhabites. This acts in the same way as a spiders web, prey gets caught in the goo and is then able to be eaten by the slow moving, docile predator. Greater Northern Cave Secretor's skin is almost completey translucent due to its life spent sheltered from the sun, its eyes are said to be next to blind, instead relying on its sense of smell and familiarity of its own environment. The Greater Northern Cave Secretor is an omnivore that has an extremely slow metabolism and will eat almost anything that gets stuck in its slime 'web', it is not unkown that lost hikers disappear without trace as the Greater Northern Cave Secretor will eat all clothing and accessories worn at the time. Unlike the smaller Southern Cave Secretor, it cannot then pass the undigestable material through it's system, this is the leading cause of death in the Greater Northern Cave Secretor and calls for the immediate vicinty around an inhabited caves to be protected have been voiced to protect this proud, majestic and sadly slow-reproducing creature, from extinction.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to matias For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Porcupine The colours are wonderful, the glow of the critter pushes it forward in the viewers eye well; perhaps the front appendages would look more agressive if opened to ensnare their prey and the back appendages could be more pronounced within the rendering.
    The light edge glimmering on the edge of the flesh and the rocky backdrop is a nice touch also.

JanJager Oozy and Slimey! At first I was unsure (wip stage) if you would show enough of the creature but you (of course) have; more definition of the internal organs would be cool though the slurping up of the dead critter is wonderfully tasty and who doesn't like slurpy fecundity?

Thujon (mmmnnn absinthe) The solid pose reminds me of 'ren and stimpy' stills in the level of detail and attitude/ slime/smellclouds; sweet! I'm big on feet and hands so I would like to see these parts built up as while many peeps think it is easy to not do feet and hands by using scenery to obfuscate the appendages, in conceptart -especially games- feet and hands are very important focal points- defintitely one of the slimy-er critters.

Homerid THe anatomy of this critter is so varied and well meshed that I voted for it, the frills on the torso and the translucense of the head grabbed it for me. The feet digits of the hands and feet would be even more in line with the rendering of the rest of the creature if pushed that bit further, they seem a little underworked compared to the head (for instance). All the slimy goop dripping down is wonderful as is the tail.

Si Swe Heh heh, That eye is so very caricature and I love the sloshing goop in the sphincters atop the critter. Lots of effort I see before me; maybe only a little adjustment to the contrast levels in the shadows of the creature and its self-shadowing could maybe increase the 3 dimensional visual expression. Heh heh, the eye still gets me.

Potbelly Very well thought out design I think, glowing bits and eyes and transparent flesh. Even the use of text is visually inobtrusive yet direct in its application and the internal organs are definitely feasible and functional. More work with the self-shadowing of the critter would produce a more 3d/ contrast visible critter (I see the back leg shadow on the abdomen but no shadow from the front legs on thorax or head). Good job overall as the brief is clearly articulated within the visual medium.

lkjhgfdsa You are a Jerk, get a life.

Vaghauk I really like the process of the wip to the final for this picture and amphibian fingers do it for me every time! More slime, that's what i'd like (not that I count for much), even though I know amphibians are wet and slimy from biology; visually I'd like to see more goo. THe scene is wonderfully set with the riverboat getting gooed on by the critter though!

Scarypotato I really like the insides of your critter and the gooey transdigested carcass at its feet. More muscel within the flest would add a depth to the internal workings of the critter and the interaction between the feet and the grass could be brought together by merging the colour gradients where the two areas meet. That is the way light works on objects near each other, they share reflected photons. That brain looks rad and the foreground bluring of the foliage definitely adds depth to the image.

(lark Wee/eew! Gooey spurting goup! reminds me of money shots for some reason...heh heh
    The shiny mouth/teeth and carapace are definitely wet looking and the dribble is wonderfully executed, if you keep it mayhap some stains on the ground and more shadows? I really like the way you merge the colour on the carapace, something I need to work on fer sure.

Kir Nuyts I like the design and I can definitely see this critter scuttling around and spraying goop at intruders. I'd like to see more slime though, dribbles along the carapace creases and puddles underneath. I can even see two faces to its head, smiling and smirking; cool.

Edward B Ah! I will always be a fan of your particular rendering style Ed (oops! no favouritism!); so colourful and athmospheric...I want more slime! heh, and more of that tasty rendering on the feet and hands! and I know you are more than ready, technically- to look deeper into the anatomy of organisms- muscle and bone interaction.

shockowaffel Heh, I love the circular transparency of the critter and the bone + nerve underneath; very stylized process. Some jelly like muscle tissue could look sweet as a distortion within the flesh and the eye looks a little flat, just missing a back light from the reflected light from above to make it more 3d. Yay for slime puddles and drippy bits!

Skullbeast So colourful and expressive, though I know you have created pictures in the past with more effort that this one, looks a bit rushed but still has your signature rendering to it; the mouth is sharply cool with those teeth and the light play across the flesh is sweet though I'd like to se more of the overall form of the critter and... hands/feet!

matias A year later! Where have you been? Obviously you have a life...heh
    I really like the shine of light upon the flesh of the critter and the goop that is puddling underneath. The trnsparency of the skin reveals just enough of the internal workings for light to bounce off the innards and the contrast of colour from the top to underside is catching my eye nicely, just seems a little rushed to the previous pictures that I have seen you produce is my only gripe I guess...?

HAVE FUN YE ALL!

The word ‘anarchy’ comes from the ancient Greek αναρχία in which αν meant ‘without’ and αρχία meant first a military ‘leader’ and then ‘ruler’. Anarchist society is one ‘without rulers’: a classless, non-hierarchical society.
    “You need people like me.
    You need people like me so you can point your grubby fingers and say, "That's the bad guy.""

SKETCHY Book

21. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to lkjhgfdsa For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,527 Times in 542 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Porcupine - Definitely one of the strongest pieces I've seen you put out. You've got really nice dynamic lighting happening here. The organs are visible even if a bit vauge, it doesn't bother be a whole lot because they don't saturate the piece with details. Bringing some objects way into the foreground, with a gaussian blur I think could have helped establish more space. One more really minor gripe is that the splash needs some work. Splashes are really hard to do, and in fact, I'm a big loser and just decided to make a spash custom brush so it was less work, but it really helps out.
    JanJager - I love the eerie palette and the fleshy way you've rendered the creature. I can really imagine it jiggling disgustingly as it moves. The animal it appears to be drowning (or soaking in acid?) or just plain eating give the creature an even creepier vibe. I love the solid lighting with the vague background, which allows me to easily fill in the blanks. My gripe is that the design of feet I don't feel fit that will with the design of the rest of the creature. Good stuff, though!
    Thujon - It really looks like it's bathing in it's own filth. You know when a dog or cat has that weird crusty shit coming out of its eye? I feel like this creature must have that all over its body. The legs are still looking a bit awkward and the glistening effects look a little bit too... solid. Dial up the brush size and dial down the opacity and hardness a nudge and you should be good on that count.
    Homerid - Super! The cave-dwelling eerie look to it with the totally visible organs. The blue and red pieces in it's head got me in particular. Some of the organs look a little worse than others but everything is conveyed very solidly. Some of the edges are looking a little bit soft, but it's not a huge deal. One thing is, I love the lighting, but it's oddly perfect in it's roundness, is it supposed to be a whole in the cave that is perfectly round, or is it like a light that's being shone on it? Anyway, I ended up voting for your piece.
    Potbelly - The design definitely knows where it should be. It's a solid concept and I feel like the diagrammatic style takes away from it right now. It's partially because it's not that well implemented. A key to doing scientific looking things is never to use a font with any tails, and to keep the lines with the descriptions fairly uniformly placed longitudinally along the drawing (stops the eye from bouncing around too much). Dialing up your brush size would help for areas like the transparent membrane and try and let light and shadow play a greater role in defining form. Keep it up! Hope to see you in future rounds.
    lkjhgfdsa - Heh, thanks. I liked that eye too, I wanted it to make him look sort of stupid and tired. You have another really, really solid entry here. Love the way the textures of certain areas keep coming out in other areas (like the bubbly texture appearing on its face etc.) I feel like adding in some blues to the skin would have helped make it feel more fleshy, even if they were super subtle, it would give it that nice, veinyness. One of my two runners up this week.
    Vaghauk - Great scale, and good composition. The piece is a little heavy on the white which, unfortunately, takes away from the design of your creature. You've created a great scene here, with good depth. Just try and avoid using so much white.
    ScaryPotato - Funny lookin' fella we have here. I like the idea of using extreme mucous production as a means to secrete the slime. Your glow effects look quite nice, for the most part. The design can be a bit hard to read, though. Its anatomy is entirely concealed by its head and belly, so we can't really see how its back is formed, and it's hard to tell exactly how many back legs it has. Some of your use of large, darker, opaque colours around the edges has created an odd softening quality to your edges, I would try and avoid using such large brushes for such things. Still, a creative entry and I hope to see more from you!
    (lark - Oh god! It's Lil' John's soul! I mean... It's the skeet beast. Very solid entry, as usual. The glisten effects are awesome, the carapace, like lkjhgfdsa said, is amazingly well blended. The back area, where I assume it stores the skeet, looks a little ignored in comparison. The creature aslo has an odd feeling of shortness, like it should be a bit longer going towards the back, but I suppose that's because we can't see it's backside. Overall it's really solid and was one of my two runners up.
    Kir Nuyts - I would've loved to see this creature in context, you mention slime webs and its size etc. but I feel that could have been easily illustrated will a scaling device and some conveying even just he potential of its slime secretion to create a web. As it stands you have a really cool and interesting creature design that needs to break out of it's blank space.
    Edward B - I love your rendering style, in general. You have an incredible way of mixing and blending. The glistening effects are so intense they actually look metallic here. I would've maybe liked to see some more in the way of slime secretion. Its back leg looks like it could have used some more attention. Solid overall.
    shockowaffel - Much more cartoony and funny than I was used to with your previous two designs, but I suppose I shouldn't be surprised since you've presented a more comic style in ChOW as well. Nice textures and the bones are really wll done. My one real gripe is that the legs don't flow well into the torso. The muscles should really have a natural flow into one another, there's an odd suddenness about where the legs meet the torso.
    Skullbeast - You have a really intense colour palette and really dynamic and violent mood to your creature. The colour palette is kind of hard to read though, and comes off as being ecclectic instead of helping define the organs more. With a bit more time spent on hardening up some edges and really defining the anatomy it would be really solid.
    Matias - Love the expression on your creature's face. Looks sheepish and yet very satisfied. most of it is really well done and I feel like if the glints on its skin weren't as hard they'd really help the texture feel more complete. Pretty damn solid overall, though. Keep it up!

Check out creature designs and make some of your own:
    Creature of the Week; Creature Spot

View Simon Sweetman's art etc. at:
    ArtStation; Personal Website; Twitter: @SiSweetman; Livestream Channel

23. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Si_Swe For This Useful Post:

+ Show/Hide list of the thanked

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    porcupine - Really nice piece, great sense of movement, the splatters are a bit undefined but they have that sort of viscosity and thick movement of slime, good work.

JanJager - Creepy and slimy, great job on getting the viscosity there. Only crit would be, like Si_Swe mentioned, its legs feel somewhat odd related to the rest of the body.

Thujon - Now THAT is a slimy mucus creature XD, feels like its drooling from every single pore in his body haha. The limbs look a little weird, maybe is the perspective relation between the limbs and the oozy floor. Good job nonetheless.

Homerid - yousuckthankyouverymuch

Si_Swe - Thanks man, the lighting was supposed to be cast through a hole in the cave, I started with a more irregular shape, but ended up smoothing the thing... I don't know why I did that
    Your creature ended up great, there's all kind of volcanic activity going on on his back haha. Great use of color and contrast, I like the overall design of the creature, it's faithful to the brief and the description also helps creating a story behind the illustration, that's nice. The face expression is killing me XD.

Potbelly - Congrats on the first COW, you did a really good work. The mix of creative design and functionality is nicely achieved, the transparent skin, the glowing bile, it all suits well with the description. One thing that could be improved is the shading, legs and abdomen could use a bit more shadows.

lkjhgfdsa - Thanks I thought the same thing about the feet and hands, I knew I didn't have a lot of time to spend on the painting, because of college, so I guess I focused on getting the more "important stuff" right.
    Your SkinThinner looks really nice, the texture of the skin, the translucent organs showing up on his back, excelent job. One thing I found confusing the first time I saw it was the red slime, I thought that it looked too much like blood (although that would be even more awesome) Anyways, great design and impressive execution.

more coming soon

A.Я.M

old deviantART - forgotten Sketchbook - outdated Portfolio

25. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Homerid For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just want to say many thanx for the Crits, some amazing Talented peeps on here look forward to some laughs and Epic Art in the future, very happy I started to join in on the action.

Dutch

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    JanJager - Great creature and image, the frame kinda draws attention away from the image for me, I think it would have been better focus on the actual image with a simple one-colored frame.

Thujon - I love your enviroment and light in this image, the creature is nicely colored too but looks abit stiff and awkvard in its pose, a little work in those areas would make it a better image I think.

Homerid - Amazing work, the light, colors and rendering are gorgeous, the blurry insects creates alot of life and realism and the creature fits the brief perfectly. My only critisism would be that the transition between the transluscent and the opaque part of its body looks rushed and somewhat crude. Still, its an amazing piece!

Si Swe - You managed to get the clumsy and dumb-part really good. The description is really funny and the contrast and colors are great. Perhaps the side crater thingys could use a little more work to look more integrated into the creature tho. Hm you mean your brush creates like a splash-shaped stamp or?

Potbelly - Nice and simple concept that really works. The pose could probably use some work to make it look more like the weight is really resting on its hindlegs.

lkjhgfdsa - Another really cool and well rendered piece! It looks bit dry for being slimy but overall a really cool one!

Vaghauk - The scale of your creature is great and the light and mood in the picture is great. I think the hand thats reaching for the boat looks more like its hoovering above it than trying to catch it but apart from that I really like this one.

ScaryPotato
    - Its a cool idea and its nice to see the bones very clear. You did a good job with making massive bones and delicate skin go well together, I think it would have been an even better image if you would have spent some more time om details and texture.

(lark - Hehee, its great! It look so wet and slimy and evil and the light is really nice too. My only negative is that I don't really see any visible organs. Oh and btw, isnt it time to change custom title soon? ^^

KirNuyts
    - I absolutely love the shape and silhouette of your creature! The downside is that it doesn't really look that transluscent or slimy, if it would have I would have voted on it.

Edward B - This too looks lovely, for some reason the colors make me think of a make up-box. Its beautiful and slimy and cool, I just wish I could see the organs inside.

Shockowaffel
    - Another great image! I love the cave and the transcluscent part of the creature and the skeleton showing inside but I find the holes kinda weird, it doesnt look like something that would accur naturally I think. If entire creature would have been see-through I would have voted for it.

Skullbeast - Nice colors, creature shape and hunting method. It would have looked better if more time spent on rendering ofc, but I understand it was kinda rushed.

Matias - At first glance it doesnt loook that special, but when I look again I start to apreciate the colors, slime dispersing method and personality more and more! I wish it would have shown maybe a little more intestines but they are present after all and the more I look on this the more it wins my heart. Such a great personality it has! It gets my vote!

28. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to porcupine For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Huge thanks for the crits and the comments guys!
    lkjhgfdsa man that is too true :] I always bullshit the actual structure and go into a renderfest far too soon. Time to get studying!

I wound up voting for Homerid, I think you really nailed the brief here. I particularly liked the see-through part of the head well done.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Edward B For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey everybody!! that was an awesome round - really enjoyed it! thanks for the useful crits on my pic- i agree that there should be much more goo and slime- and the water is really to bright- the hovering hand was kind of intentional- but i agree that it looks a bit awkward... - got little time for commenting all the others- potbelly and matias where my favorites but i also like the idea of schockowaffels critter and homerids design! - all participants delivered great work!- wish i had more time to do the next challenge---- lets see if i can squeeze it in !

Life on earth is expensive, but it includes a free trip around the sun every year.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Vaghauk. Fun round indeed...
    Thanks for the comments also.
    Porcupine: Really good sense of atmorsphere your creature also looks good. Only thing are the forearms they seem a bit shortish. But I really liked yours!
    JanJager: Looks cool but there is just too much going on for me. Too much colors. Also I REALLY don t like the green border around your picture But The creature looks cool, I like his trompetnose the most.
    Thujon: Looks nice dude. For some reason he makes me laugh..I think he has a funny pose because of his front legs: the knees ben outwards...
    Homerid: Cool work! He looks like he really could exist
    Si_Swe: I love your idea! It looks nice and I can really feel he is carrying alot of weight. Only thing you could improve it, let it pop out more of the background. It would already help if you would draw a shadowcast underneath him. But he s really nice.
    Potbelly: cool design. A winner for sure. I think you could have made it much better by adding more volume to his body. He looks a bit flat. Add a bit more shadow and highlights on his white body, maybe even some more hints of fur. Now your creatures design is hard to read (mainly the head) It looks like he is looking towards us?
    lkja....: Sweet! No crits from me, but maybe you could add some atmospheric lights (rim lights, colored shadows etc..) too it? Then i would surely vote for it!
    Vaghauk: Damn man, I wanted to vote for you but then I saw you could only vote for one person and I realllly liked Edwards. Yours is the most interesting 'illustration' of them all. I can tell you had a great time making it! Hope too meet you again in another chow! Ps: That frog is a real killer
    ScaryPotato: weirdest creature ever! I have been staring minutes to it. It s something for in the Ren and Stimpy chow or so... You have a great imagination dude!
    Clark: Superb rendering! Just not sure about your creature, because of the front view it s kinda hard to tell what it is. Altough with the discription i had a good idea Nice one!
    Edward B: Voted for this one; love how you portrayed it: curled behind the rock. The anatomy looks really cool aswell! And the rendering is too damn good hehe. Love it!
    Shokowaffel: Nice animal! Only thing bothering me is that it looks too clean. Like the holes in his tail (U can give him more scratches, and bigger holes and smaller,...)
    Skullbeast: I love his head, but he could use more color in general!
    Matias: Perfect! No crits from me

_.·´¯`·-> Choose Life <-·´¯`·._
    Check me out

33. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kir Nuyts For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 3