Sketchbook: My first SB...work very much in progress!
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first SB...work very much in progress!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

My first SB...work very much in progress!

Hi guys. I've read around and I hope this is the place to introduce myself and my work!

Well, I've been reading this forum for a number of years, looking at all the amazing stuff you guys produce day after day; never really having the confidence to post my own work.

I'm 22 years old, and although I fancy myself as quite imaginative, I've always been frustrated by my lack of knowledge and artistic 'flair' where putting it to paper (or screen) is concerned.

This SB is more of a journal than a show case of my work, as criticism and any helpful hints will be greatly appreciated. I'm sure I'm not the only one who sits at their computer constantly deleting work that really should be worked on because it doesn't look awesome straight away....It's just hard to be patient when all you want to do it get better, right?

Anyway. Enough of that. Here's my first piece of work to kick it all off.

It's 'the baluga'. Not quite sure if it's a land or ocean dweller yet, will add more to make multiple versions. This is the first piece of work I want to add to my personal portfolio too, so you guys get to decide what stays and what goes!

Thanks in advance to all who take the time to look.

-don

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't seen much yet, but great start, keep us updated!

Don't bother looking at my sketchbook. I haven't updated that thing in years. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your kind words. I'm working on a concept sketch at the moment, which I'm hoping to be up on here by tonight.

Nothing spectacular, but it's time I got my work out there and critique'd, god knows I need it, especially if I'm going to learn anything.

-don

Edit: Here's another quick sketch...

Last edited by donthedragon; September 16th, 2010 at 12:17 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    couple of sketchy sketches. None from studies just trying to remember a tiny bit of basic form.

It's so frustrating not being able to nail down the basics when my head is telling me to create these vivid masterpieces, but I guess that's part of learning and it just makes me want to do it more. Skill can be worked and improved on, I guess imagination can't.

If anyone could point me in the right direction of some awesome anatomy books or specific studies, or even just show me where I'm going wrong I'd be most appreciative! Obviously the ridiculous forehead and the arms of the archer are big ones, not to mention the composition of the attempted perspective low view, but just the more subtle things that I missed.

Thanks guys!

-don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey there!

The Baluga looks really cool It kinda looks like an Orca

I found it best to start with stick figure drawings and then move on to construction of the body and then fleshing them out.. Check out posemaniacs.com , heard about it through CA earlier this week - the 15-30 second drawing exercise's a great warmup

Check out anatomy books by
    -Andrew Loomis
    -Bridgeman
    -Burne Hogarth (a lil bit more advanced than the others?)

Till next time then, keep drawing!

Hello! I'm trying to improve my artwork and I really could use your critique - S k e t c h b o o k

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hey

Thanks so much Sharon, wasn't sure about the composition of the skin of the baluga, as in how I wanted it to appear (ie scaly, smooth like an eel etc).

Thanks for the advice on the stick drawing too; will definitely give that a go. I think I have the problem that I try and focus on too much too early. I've also got some anatomy books in the pipeline for when I get paid.

Thanks again for the advice, be sure to check back here soon!

-don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Erase that 'I suck' now! Confidence bro, confidence, your sketches are good, but like all of us, still have a long way to go. Nice studies, but bring more of 'em out!

Don't bother looking at my sketchbook. I haven't updated that thing in years. :/

9. The Following User Says Thank You to MiladThaha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

:D

Hey MiladThaha

Haha, that was just my little joke after seeing the Mr. Bloaty Head I drew. I know what you mean though. Confidence is important.

It's comforting to know that I'm not the only one going through this too...that's the great thing about this forum; there are people at all stages of professionalism that are willing to give advice and point you in the right direction.

more sketches today!

Thankyou Milad,

-don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good start here. I think that robot head looks pretty good.

My advice for improving is to sketch as often and as many things as possible. Just carry around a notepad and jot down thoughts or ideas whenever you think of it. My favorite thing is when people fall asleep so I can sketch them.

Keep working hard and posting lots. Remember, every piece helps you improve, even if it doesn't turn out.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MoKhi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

:)

Hi MoKhi, nice to meet you!

Thanks for all your input everyone, it's nice to see so many requests for more sketches!

So, here they are as promised.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some anatomy studies with a .5 fineliner....took around 15-20 mins with little details for the page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    keep up don.doing well so far.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi mate, thanks for checking out my sb. And thanks for your positive input, your work is inspirational to me.

Should have some more sketches done and uploaded in a couple of hours...having my head bashed around trying to figure out Java Programming

-don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

moar!

Here's another quick couple of sketches from memory this time. Note that the half torso at the bottom I kinda wanted to 'disect'. Basically, I tried to stretch it out a little so I could focus on the 'weaving' butterfly muscles of the torso.

More sketches soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Excellent start! What helped me to learn anatomy in the beginning is to contour the figure using as few lines as possible, like a gesture but more about the outline and relationships of forms. Hope that makes sense! It might help you on your anatomy studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ixius, thanks for the comment

That does make a lot of sense, and I'll definately try this on my next couple of sketches. I think my problem is I try to over complicate things and add too much to it too early. Ironic given my original work at the top of the thread is fairly simple.

Please be sure to check my progress over the next couple of months, I'd appreciate it greatly.

Cheers,

-don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there Like Ixius said, simplifying things is important at the start.. It could be just a line or stick figure at first, and then you proceed to boxes, cylinders etc to draw the human form.. And those anatomy books/tutorials could be found online too.. Seek and ye shall find

Could you post a link of your sketchbook in your signature? That'd make it easier for anyone to access it since it'd be in each one of your posts.. Keep sketching!

Hello! I'm trying to improve my artwork and I really could use your critique - S k e t c h b o o k

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Sharon J For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey.

Sorry I haven't updated in a couple of days, I've been a little pre-occupied with University work totally irrelevant to this.

Nice to see you back Sharon, and thanks for the comments. I've decided not to 'concept' anything at all until I have a clear understanding of proportions and anatomy; both human and some animal studies.

I've got a couple of pages of sketches for a game level we have to create in Uni, so I'll post them up when I get back to my own computer.

Thanks for the tip about the sig too.....doing it now!

cheers,

-don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi guys.

here are some sketches from my level design project. The subject I chose was The Black Death (14th century not the 'Great Plague' of London in 1665).

I really want to get some colour into these but I have no idea how to make them look 'realistic'. The only colour I can seem to get is a half cartoony look.

Anyone know any useful tutorials for blending colours in Photoshop CS? I see a lot of well blended work on here.

I've already checked out the blending tutorial on here too, and I can't seem to figure out the healing brush tool at all :s

Any help would be appreciated

cheers

-don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Neat technical drawings there The sketches in post #11 is great too! Keep 'em coming

25. The Following User Says Thank You to MiladThaha For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey guys.

Tried to do a colour concept of the above 'alley way'. I'm happy with the result.

I won't do a side to side comparison as the original sketch is a couple of posts above, but I'm sure you can see the difference.

As you can tell it's a shameful flipped piece, but I like the half crazy half uniform look it has.

-don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    man good start. try make more explore about colours by mixing it and keep doing anatomy study its really helpful

good luck and go a head with your improvement

note :conceptart forum has really nice artists whom will help you by giving many comments to support you to improve your artwork

have a good life

Qlotzan

28. The Following User Says Thank You to qlotzan For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks for your reply.

Yeah the community has been great on these forums, offering advice and directions I should follow to improve.

Thankyou for your advice.

All the best

-don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ahoy!

Ahoy me hearties, found this picture on my laptop of a ship I drew for my local pub's first year birthday. Particularly random but it was my first play with corel painter.

More serious sketches in the next few days...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just a few more ideas for some assets in the level design. Want it to look as creepy as possible

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Don, good to see more uploads!

The colour concept of the alley way post looks really cool and creepy.. Looks like there's this eerie gray fire at the end of the room..
    The drawing of the ship looks great as well
    And is that a mummy in your last upload, the one with flies around it? Just a thought : I'm not sure there'd be flies for mummies, since the whole process of mummification contains incense and fragrant resin as part of their embalming process.. I know, crazy thought

Keep sketching, will stop by for more uploads

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Sharon!

First of all many Thanks for your kind comments, especially about the alley; I was going for the creepy mood....and it is indeed a fire and smoke at the opening

Probably should have defined the assets below a little better, it's not a mummy; just a plague ridden corpse wrapped in linen prior to a burial which never happened.

I wanted to show an air of abandonment about the place, and so half prepared coffins and overturned horse carts I thought might give the impression of a sudden halt to activity. I struggled with the idea of lighting the scene (no energy saving bulbs in the 14th century) as if the place were deserted...who would be lighting the lamps?

So, I decided to light the entire scene with a roaring witch/vampire burning in the middle of the court yard the alley leads onto.

Enough of the description, I need to draw it!

Thanks again Sharon, will upload more soon.

-don

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi Guys!

Wow, well it's been too long since I posted on this forum, sorry about that. Had a lot of other things getting in the way of my sketching.

Here's a little doodle to get the ball rolling again. Hope you all had a great Christmas and New year too!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, i like the latest dragon! Some critique for your digitals is to maybe use some harder brushes at first, soft makes evrything look very plastic

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Ludic For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ludic,

Thanks for the reply! Yeah I see what you mean, looking back at it now it does look rather plastic. Digital art is something I'm completely new to so I'm trying to improve all the time.

I have a couple of books I've bought but not been able to read that thoroughly due to other commitments.

I'll post as often as I can, should be coming up with some concept art and 3D art for a project I'm working on so I'll post it all here when I can.

Thanks again, all your comments are greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.