How to improve in adding values
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How to improve in adding values

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

How to improve in adding values

Hello great artists of this forum.. I am 22 years old and i am pretty decent in drawing from paintings or posters but not at all good in portraits... Well anyways recently i am learning to add values to my drawings.. so far i started out with spheres and cubes and i am able to do a good work on them.. but whenever i try to draw shoes or hats or rocks and add values to them it comes out horribly bad.. i am unable to blend the light and darker areas and the values seem pasted in with extreme dark and light shades... So please can anyone tell me how to improve in adding values ?? or is it a god given gift wherein the gifted can master it??? also are there any value drawing exercises that i can practice to have more control over my pencil and while adding values??? Any suggestions would be very greatful

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Zazerzs is offline ....bing me the bore worms Level 7 Gladiator: Samnite
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Without seeing your examples all you will get will be generic advice that may or may not apply to your situation.

I suggest that you create a sketchbook and post your work. That way we can give you advice fitting your skill level.

Are you doing value scales?

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook
    Interested in learning more about color? Read this!
    Fletcher:Color Control

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i dont have a scanner thats why i would be unable to post my work.. My work on values is really bad and i really need to improve a lot.. I am not doing value scales.. Should i practice them???

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Next time you think about buying a video game or anything else around 50 bucks that isn't a necessity, buy a scanner. You can get them really cheap...sometimes under 50 bucks even.

Without the ability to read tone on the internet, this may seem a bit mean, but I mean this in the most polite way possible: Not having a scanner or at least access to a scanner (i.e. Kinkos, etc) isn't an excuse on an art forum.

So until then, yes...practice values. What else can we say?

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dusty For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

take a pic of em

Yes you should be doing value scales, its the simplest value drawing exercises that I know of.Just don't do one, do ten, then as many more as it takes to get control of your values. After that then try the spheres, cubes and geo forms.

Take a picture of them with a camera, even cell phones come with like a 4mp camera these days and while it might not be perfect its at least something until you get a scanner. Just make sure you light it well, not to bright or it will wash out the values and not to dark.

Post them in a sketch book, not here, and then give us the link.

till then

8)

"Talent is a word found in the mouth of the lazy to dismiss the hard work of those who have achieved."
    Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Next time you think about buying a video game or anything else around 50 bucks that isn't a necessity, buy a scanner. You can get them really cheap...sometimes under 50 bucks even.
    Where in the world are you finding these scanners? The local target, best buy, staples, and wal-mart don't have JACK for scanners. As of matter of fact between all of them I can only find just a "scanner" at Staples, and then they only had two, each over $100. And last time I looked last week, they didn't sell those anymore.

Everything else is some "all-in-one" piece of shit I'm not particularly interested in, and even then finding one with a scanner of any size for less than $80 is proving a challenge.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here's one

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-023-_-Product

with free shipping even.

Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Zazerzs For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusty View Post
    Dude i am from India and if you have any idea about this country's currency or pricing systems you wouldn't be making such a comment...Here video games are more expensive than scanners !!!!!

@zazerzs
    Thanks for the idea of using a mobile camera.. But the thing is my work is so very bad and i feel too too silly and embarrassed to post it.. I'll work on the value scales as you said.. I just have this should i create the exact tone of values as given in the value scales?? or should i just experiment by varying the pressure??

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    "But the thing is my work is so very bad and i feel too too silly and embarrassed to post it"

Post it anyway.

Try to create the exact tone for each value.If you are using a regular pencil they only get so dark, just make 9 values as best as you can.

Anatomy Thread
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @zazerzs

Well thanks a lot for the scales.. I will practice on it to create the same scales.... Let me do some values on cubes and spheres and I'll post them .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,199 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Two Listen View Post
    Where in the world are you finding these scanners? The local target, best buy, staples, and wal-mart don't have JACK for scanners. As of matter of fact between all of them I can only find just a "scanner" at Staples, and then they only had two, each over $100. And last time I looked last week, they didn't sell those anymore.

Everything else is some "all-in-one" piece of shit I'm not particularly interested in, and even then finding one with a scanner of any size for less than $80 is proving a challenge.

Maybe I'm just unlucky.
    Have you tried looking online? I almost always buy this stuff online, that way it's easier to find good deals, especially since stores in the city have very limited items in stock...

For instance, pcconnection.com has a whole bunch of scanners ranging from $60 - $100 (look up scanners and sort by price.)

Or there's Amazon, but I don't trust them for hardware...

To the OP, if you're living somewhere where you can't even get cheap scanners online, yes, you can get something good enough to post in a sketchbook even with a cheap digital camera. Heck, I've managed to get okay photos of drawings using my phone (not great, but good enough to show someone what I'm doing.) It works best if you photograph the drawing in bright sunlight.

Last edited by QueenGwenevere; September 16th, 2010 at 10:56 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    another good thing you can do is get a bottle, paint it a gray or white and practice drawing the values. They say squinting helps, but it never helped me much. You can still try it though. The same technique works with wooden shapes that are painted white or gray.

Also look at objects that are shiny - the values are the same, the contrasts are WAY different.

Just practice your butt off.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yup i am practicing but i seem not to be able to get control over the values..must try harder i guess

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Regarding the practice of value scales, I've one question.

What is the purpose of practicing these value scales? Is it to ingrain the looks of these values (1 - 9, how light or dark is each individual value) into our brain, so that when we draw from life, we will be able to recall these 1 - 9 values and match them accurately with the subject?

Thanks!
    Xeon

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Xeon: I paint using a value scale and the it seems more and more I can accurately guess the value of the paint on my painting and match it with the paint in my value scale. I would imagine drawing value scales in pencil would improve your ability to see those values in your drawing. It's funny that I use a value scale when painting, but never thought to try that in drawing... But yeah, I don't know if it's going to help you match values to your still life subject or photographic reference unless you make a mental note as you work which value you think it is and develop that over time.

My Website / My Sketchbook / My DeviantArt

Garlunk|Human|lvl07|pvp00|E0|Siren's Well
    Tomyris|Mystical|lvl02|pvp00|E0|Killrog's Palace
    PAINT HAMMER! The Art Making RPG!

18. The Following User Says Thank You to NickTrip For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Make sure you're using the right kind of paper for whatever medium you are using. I've found that once I started using good paper (e.g. Strathmore, Stonehenge, Fabriano) blending becomes MUCH easier. Always pay extra for the good paper.

20. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gislebertus For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Giselbertus: That's interesting; I usually stick with the cheaper sketchbooks because I dont plan on doing good work in them. Perhaps I'll have to start investing in the good stuff.

Doctors heal you, Artists immortalize you.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach" - bullshit.

The usual staples for anatomy:
    George Bridgman
    Joseph Sheppard
    Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @zazerzs

I have made few value sketches and i have posted it on my sketchbook.. I have also posted the reference pics.. The quality may not be good.. Could you kindly look into my work and point out the errors...

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...56#post2870056

BTW how do i enable to show my sketchbook like a signature instead of posting the url of my sketchbooks in posts??

Black Spot is online now Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,370 Times in 3,593 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Just more practice.

Take the url of your SB and in change signature use the link bit. You can then edit the title or leave the url showing.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What medium are you using ?
    From what I can tell from these pics is you're also drawing way too small to learn much when it comes to values, what size are you drawing on ?
    Also, quit using references off the computer to do value studies, set up a lamp and a real sphere and draw that.
    Values,shadows, and shading all require a basic understanding of perspective to do accurately. work on your perspective a little bit as well.

So my tip is.. draw from real still lifes, draw bigger, learn some perspective.

Most libraries have books on how to do anything , so look into that as well.

~"With a little hope, and alot of try, anything is possible."~
    ~"The harder You work, the better life gets."~
    ~"The pain doesn't last, but the gain will last forever."~
    ~"Fear is my courage." ~Mr_S_14

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Two words: cast drawing.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Mock For This Useful Post:

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr_S_14 View Post
    Also, quit using references off the computer to do value studies, set up a lamp and a real sphere and draw that.
    Exactly. Why would you (for instance) draw from that photo of a shoe when I'm pretty sure a real one is as close as the end of your leg?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @S 14

I draw my sketches on an A4 size paper.. Well i never really thought about using object from real life.. as i have seen many people do value studies from still life photographs Thanks for the tip i'll try from real life

how can i change the title of my signature so that its just sketchbook and it links to my sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by touches View Post
    how can i change the title of my signature so that its just sketchbook and it links to my sketchbook?
    Type in below string of code into your user control panel.

Now, thank me by clicking the "Thanks" button at the bottom-right corner of this post to help increase my Thanks rating, CA reputation, ego and street cred.

Thanks!
    Xeon

31. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Xeon_OND For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lol street cred huh? lols
    and this come from a guy who doesn't care about SB ratings

The Penvirates:: Xeon_OND :: PermaN00b:: Kamber Parrk :: Cygear ::Diarum

"Life itself is your teacher, and you are in a state of constant learning." -Bruce Lee

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

GET some 18x24 Drawing Paper and charcoal

@S 14

I draw my sketches on an A4 size paper...
    I don't know the size of A4 , is it about 18"x24" ?

=P BIGGER! DRAW BIGGER = Learning more and faster !

Drawing with charcoal is like painting and drawing all in one. Just dont ingest it,eeewww.

Try these searches, the problem about trying to learn, is not knowing where to find the information, or what information you're missing. With shading exaggerate the values in your drawings of what you see a little bit, do the same with reflections. Especially while learning.

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...7a1c3c62b92b94

http://www.google.com/images?hl=en&q...w=1362&bih=562

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q...7a1c3c62b92b94

try the youtube video on that last one.

If I could, I would just give a ten minute demonstration for all this information, but if you take a look at the images(studythoseimages) in these searches you should be able to find the gist of what you're asking for so far.
    The core shadow describes form in shading, there's a search for Shadows in perspective which is one of the coolest things I remember learning, and then there's a search for images of one of those two.
    Another cool thing when using values in an illustration is something called spontaneous contrast, which Vermeer used to help describe edges without line. Along with hella other highspeed painters. It's purposely putting into the painting something that happens in your eye/mind from the neurons tripping eachother out. which also can only really be demonstrated.

Last edited by Mr_S_14; September 18th, 2010 at 03:30 PM.
    ~"With a little hope, and alot of try, anything is possible."~
    ~"The harder You work, the better life gets."~
    ~"The pain doesn't last, but the gain will last forever."~
    ~"Fear is my courage." ~Mr_S_14

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @S_14
    Wow thanks a lot for the links you gave there.. Your very right when you said about the problem of trying to learn.. I first didn't know where to look for or what to look for.. Now with help from you guys i am able to understand what i want to learn...As your signature says there is nothing better than hard work and hope

Thanks
    Thanked 1,208 Times in 438 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    when drawing from life, squint with your eyes. What I mean is, close your eyes almost completely, so that only a little light is coming in to your eyes. This will simplify the values. Place your drawing in such a way that you can see it side by side with the object you're drawing. Squint, and look. Is the shoe in life darker or lighter than the shoe on your drawing paper? Forget about details, just look for the large shape of value. Don't draw all the small lines and shiny stuff on the shoe, just put down a flat value - that is, a value that is the same all over. Try to make it as even as possible. When you're sure it's the right value (by squinting), then you can squint a little bit less and see what details you can see. Draw them. When they are right, you can do a bit more detail, but remember to go back to squinting now and again, to see that the large shape of value is still right. Good luck!

36. The Following User Says Thank You to Serpian For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My answer is two books: Successful Drawing and Creative Illustration, both Andrew Loomis.

You can read and even download them freely and legally here:
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/10338/Andr...essful-Drawing
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/6641260/An...e-Illustration

I'm referring specifically to the sections in Successful Drawing on lighting the form, and the sections in Creative Illustration about tone.

If you're struggling to understand values then I have not found a better resource. Squinting your eyes is all well and good, but it's not going to do you too much good until you gain a little understanding. That is where the books come in.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,342 Times in 473 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Dude i am from India and if you have any idea about this country's currency or pricing systems you wouldn't be making such a comment...Here video games are more expensive than scanners !!!!!

@zazerzs
    Thanks for the idea of using a mobile camera.. But the thing is my work is so very bad and i feel too too silly and embarrassed to post it.. I'll work on the value scales as you said.. I just have this should i create the exact tone of values as given in the value scales?? or should i just experiment by varying the pressure??
    Well, I wouldn't have made such a comment if that information was said in the first place.

Sorry and good luck.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6