Art: portfolio: crits welcome
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: portfolio: crits welcome

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

portfolio: crits welcome

Hi there!

This is my first post, some pictures from my portfolio. I'm 20 and I just finished a bachelor in computer graphics for video games. My goal now is to specialize in concept art, so here some of my work; feel free to give some crits I'm looking for some advices, what to improve, my flaws, anything!

I just started a new picture I'd like to make wayyyy more polished than those, I'll post it when finished

more here: http://elaeis.daportfolio.com/gallery/397997

Last edited by Elaeis; September 15th, 2010 at 05:12 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not experienced enough to crit, but I just wanted to say the 2nd and 4th images are fantastic. =D

3. The Following User Says Thank You to surrealdelirium For This Useful Post:

dpaint is online now Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,881 Times in 2,355 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Good work but you need to work on form and lighting. Your work lacks a true understanding of solid masses. Lighting will help you see form better and work more from life.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dpaint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice designs! I like the pirate in nr. 2 there. Reminds me of Fable II's concepts.
    When it comes to technique, I suggest you experiment more with smaller brushstrokes, and not only large, thick ones. To create that look of detail and quality, even in sketches and speedpaints, you should balance between small strokes and large strokes.

Keep it up, and let us see more designs from you!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JaneMag For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your pencil work is much stronger than your digital. I really like the second image. The linework is really nice and the shading is really good.

Your digital drawings need work. At the moment they are a little too soft and blurry around the edges. I'd recommend using a stronger, harder brush with opacity set to 100% - for your initial lay-in of colour. That said, the tones and colour are excellent. With a little more practice, i recon you'll be doing kick-ass work soon.

Keep up that traditional work. You're definately at an advantage for having good fundamental skills.

Keep drawing

9. The Following User Says Thank You to a_mckeown For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you everyone for your comments, I'll work on that! I'm trying to improve my digital work by copying some masters works

Also, here is a WIP image about something I'm making for my portfolio;
    for now I'm just working on values and shapes, and any comments are welcome; I'm hoping on presenting this (when finished of course) to some editors at a game festival to get my first job (actually not very confident about this). If you have any advice...
    thanks again!

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

crits welcome

Frank Lloyd Wright also said "Form and function are one." And although he was a great architect, he was a rotten engineer--Falling Waters is beautiful, but he designed it with a stream flowing through the building, which sends its heating bills skyrocketing in the winter. Actually, Wright believed in integrating buildings into the surrounding landscape (ex.--Taliesin West), so it did work with the surroundings, just not from an engineering perspective.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im gerade neu in diesem Forum....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks good!
    The person: Try not painting accurate shapes on this early stage. You've already started detailing the eye, when all you need to build up areas of shadow and ligt, are round spots of color - don't start brushworking the details in the face just yet. First just get down the dark and bright areas, then you can start detailing!

Good work with all the shades of grey in this image. It's coming along nicely.
    Oh, and good luck at the festival! I don't think you have anything to worry about.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for the advice, I'll work on that! I hope I can finish this for the 30th, because as it is my first time painting a scene like this one, I am soooo slow

And thanks for the luck, I'll need that

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here is the finished image! I'm calling it done because I have no time left, but if you have advices and crits, please be my guest, I'm looking for improvement in the future of course

This was my second time painting a complete environment like that, and well, it was hard; lighting was not common, and I had difficulties seeing what should have a more "finished" aspect or not... Next time I'll start with a very well defined line art, I think that'll make things more easy for me

Attached Images Attached Images  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.