Thread: @______@

Thanks

@______@

I apologize for the derpy title but thats all I can think of right now that accurately expresses my feelings. You see Ive dropped out of posting here for a month or so to draw in my sketchbook. Just to take a break from posting pictures and get to work with the advice I was given. Now Im ready to post all that work here..So I scan 20+ images and try putting them in a sketchbook thread only to find out the images are too big. At 2000x3000 I can understand that so I run them all in sai to resize them down to 600x800...only to find thats STILL too big.

Is there an easier way? Because if there is Id love to hear it..

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    What type of file are you saving them as? Using what program?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,362 Times in 1,214 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Purgatory View Post
    At 2000x3000 I can understand that so I run them all in sai to resize them down to 600x800...only to find thats STILL too big.
    Make sure they're saved as JPGs. Image compression is your happy friend when posting shit online.
    *** Sketchbook * Landscapes * Portfolio * Store***

"There are two kinds of students: the self-taught and the hopeless."
    - Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    If you use photoshop, first of all go to IMAGE>IMAGE SIZE>put the size to approximately 680x460 pixels (if you need to show details than make it larger, but not more than 1000px).
    Then go to FILE>SAVE FOR WEB & DEVICES (save it as a .jpeg). I think this should solve the problem..
    D

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    600x800 in what format? At what dpi? Saved with what settings? What's the file size?

A jpg saved as "high" or "very high" quality at 600x800 at 72dpi should usually be just fine...

Thanks
    600x800 shouldn't be too big... You can try adjusting the quality settings lower though (in Photoshop try "high" instead of "very high" or "maximum") that should definitely help.

Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    600x800 in what format? At what dpi? Saved with what settings? What's the file size?

A jpg saved as "high" or "very high" quality at 600x800 at 72dpi should usually be just fine...
    dpi shouldn't really matter when you're dealing with dimensions in pixels. 600x800 in 72dpi is the same amount of pixels as 600x800 in 300dpi.
    MY WEBSITE: PaintedSky.ca
    MY SKETCHBOOK: Ook's Book - Karyl Craves Your Approval

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KarylGilbertson View Post
    dpi shouldn't really matter when you're dealing with dimensions in pixels. 600x800 in 72dpi is the same amount of pixels as 600x800 in 300dpi.
    Well, yes and no... If you take your 600x800 300dpi image and mess up while fiddling with the image size settings, you can accidentally end up with a file that's got different pixel dimensions (bigger or smaller)... Anyway, it's happened to me before when I wasn't paying attention.

Admittedly Photoshop CS4 seems to handle this pretty well. CS2 did some weird things on occasion, if I recall... I don't know how SAI handles it. Anyway, it's good to check what actual dimensions you've ended up with if you resize/change the dpi/otherwise screw with it.

Thanks
    If you really want to keep the size you could also host them on your own site/photogallery and embed the image onto the page. I've noticed a lot of people do that. But I don't think it's the most recommended form.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Well, yes and no... If you take your 600x800 300dpi image and mess up while fiddling with the image size settings, you can accidentally end up with a file that's got different pixel dimensions (bigger or smaller)... Anyway, it's happened to me before when I wasn't paying attention.

Admittedly Photoshop CS4 seems to handle this pretty well. CS2 did some weird things on occasion, if I recall... I don't know how SAI handles it. Anyway, it's good to check what actual dimensions you've ended up with if you resize/change the dpi/otherwise screw with it.
    I have never had that happen to me... Not to say it can't happen, though. Maybe you accidentally changed the value in inches/cm/points/picas/anything-but-pixels?

Quote Originally Posted by Ardescoere View Post
    If you really want to keep the size you could also host them on your own site/photogallery and embed the image onto the page. I've noticed a lot of people do that. But I don't think it's the most recommended form.
    Yes this will work, but if you ever delete or edit those files in your photo gallery your links in your sketchbook will break. Sucks when people are browsing your sketchbook... You could always just not edit or delete things though. I just like that my attachments will most likely be stuck in my posts for good, even when browsing old posts in a few years of whatever.

Thanks
    what scanner are you using? they usually come with a software to preview your scans there should be an option to reduce the size of your scans to whatever size you want.

save as .jpg and if you don't have photoshop you can always use msPaint to resize.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KarylGilbertson View Post
    I have never had that happen to me... Not to say it can't happen, though. Maybe you accidentally changed the value in inches/cm/points/picas/anything-but-pixels?
    Yeah, usually it's if I've geared something for print and then tried to scale it down for web and forgotten to check the actual pixel dimensions while I'm doing this... So maybe I've done something meant to print at 8.5x11 inches at 300 dpi and forgotten to change one setting or other when saving a smaller/lo-res version, which can lead to surprise re-sizing if your brain is out to lunch...

Just thought the OP might have been doing something similar and overlooked a setting somewhere when scaling images down.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    They are all Jpeg images. I used an Epson scanner which made them all come out 2000x3000 and reduced their sizes in Sai for those who asked. I have to put them all at 600x700 now it seems.

Thanks
    Once you find out an OK dimesions for the pictures then you can easily create a photoshop batch and 1-click-resize all pictures in a folder. I know you can do the same with ACDSee and probably many other free programs.
    I find this sort of macro very useful when uploading many pictures to the web and having to resize them all...

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    They are all Jpeg images. I used an Epson scanner which made them all come out 2000x3000 and reduced their sizes in Sai for those who asked. I have to put them all at 600x700 now it seems.
    Something's not right. I just made a test 2000X3000 image and played around with saving it as a jpeg. At high (60) quality it was only 404K, and even saved at maximum quality it was 2.2 MB, well below CA's maximum upload size of 5.25 MB. At 600X900, high quality, it was just 81K.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    Maybe you were just having trouble with the uploader. It has trouble uploading sometimes. Try again later. I doubt it's the fault of the images. If you can upload them fine on your computer software and see them, they shouldn't be corrupted nor too large.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ardescoere View Post
    Yeah, I just use imageshack. CA's attachment manager is kind of a pain.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    Something's not right. I just made a test 2000X3000 image and played around with saving it as a jpeg. At high (60) quality it was only 404K, and even saved at maximum quality it was 2.2 MB, well below CA's maximum upload size of 5.25 MB. At 600X900, high quality, it was just 81K.

CA's maximum upload size is 5.25 MB? I always thought it was like 250KB for JPEG images.

EDIT: Checking the attachment manager, it says JPEG image max filesize is like, 530ish KB? There's some pretty random file sizes for other formats in there too...

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    Elwell is an admin so he has ability to post super high res. The flaming horse always wins.

The reason for the 250k size limit is that if your post goes viral...and sometimes they do. We have threads with close to two million views on this site and it will just kill our humble 11 server farm that keeps this place humming along.

New attachment manager is in the works. Batch uploader in the works. Need to get update from programmer.

Back to work...if you save as jpeg and put them up at less than 1k wide (best for viewing anyway) you will be fine. If not lemme know or you can post in the support forums too.

J

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Jason Manley For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason Manley View Post
    Elwell is an admin so he has ability to post super high res. The flaming horse always wins.

The reason for the 250k size limit is that if your post goes viral...and sometimes they do. We have threads with close to two million views on this site and it will just kill our humble 11 server farm that keeps this place humming along.

New attachment manager is in the works. Batch uploader in the works. Need to get update from programmer.

Back to work...if you save as jpeg and put them up at less than 1k wide (best for viewing anyway) you will be fine. If not lemme know or you can post in the support forums too.

J
    Makes sense I suppose. Wish I could upload images the size of God too

Personally I find the attachment manager just fine, although being able to batch upload would definitely be rad.

Thanks
    Are you suuuure Sai actually saved it as the jpeg format? Did you choose the menu option Save As... and then choose JPG?

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki

Thanks
    That makes sense, I thought 5MB was an awfully big limit! Still, getting a jpeg under 250K shouldn't be a problem.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    When resizing several images, ACDSee or other photo manager programs are your best friend. I usually take photos of my SB pages (scanner is too slow) and they're way too big. ACDSee has a batch resize option that's extremely useful. 600 x 600 is a good size to post here.

BTW,The day the CA attachment manager allows batch uploading I'll be very, very happy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    I cant post anything about 600-800 range and its very finicky with what it wants to accept from me it seems. I only saved my files at 600x800 because it took that file size before.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by vineris View Post
    Are you suuuure Sai actually saved it as the jpeg format? Did you choose the menu option Save As... and then choose JPG?
    Im positive. I never select what I want from the drop down menu I just type it myself. And yes I did double-check they all say jpg.

Thanks
    What compression level are you using?

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    Id have to check, I dont know off the top of my head xp. Ill probably end up reducing the sizes 100 points in the morning anyway.

Thanks
    Im positive. I never select what I want from the drop down menu I just type it myself. And yes I did double-check they all say jpg.
    I've found that some programs go by what you select in the drop-down menu. That is, if the drop-down menu says .PSD and you type .JPG, what you get is a picture in the PSD format that is *called* picture.JPG. I don't know if SAI is one of those programs. I usually double-check these things by opening the picture up in a really simple image program or the web browser and checking the properties.

If your program doesn't ask for a compression level when you save something as a jpeg, that's usually a clue that something isn't quite right. Likewise, if you can't make it display in a web browser (when you look at it off your local hard drive) then chances are good it's not a jpeg, gif or png.

- Dr. Piotr Rudnicki