Sketchbook: Windmaker's Sketchbook Vol.2 - updated 21.09.13 - Page 3
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    coool!fantasy works!I think I learn a lot from here, keep up my friend, I will come here again, cheers!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're a great inspiration...I hope to be as good someday! And thanks for the critique, really appreciate it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

I like cookies.

Yay! Many replies! Thanks for looking and commenting, guys. I'm really glad you like what I'm doing!

kingkostas Thanks! Hopefully I'll never stop improving my techinque. And someday I hope it'll indeed be lovely Glad you find the process shots useful!

Abee Thanks for the comment! Textured brushes aare... I'm not really sure why I shy away from them. Probably because everybody else uses them You're right though. Exploring techniques with them definitely be uself!

MysTiK Here it is- more of my stuff. Glad you like it!

KelsM Thanks! Glad you like the stuff!

BlackDelphin Hey Yeah, it's in Bucharest. And you need a ticket to attend. But it's a damn expensive one...
    As for the still-lives- I'm gonna do more as soon as I feel I've got the time. I'm trying to work on a portfolio for The Iron Curtain right now, so study work is put on hold until after the workshop
    And I'll answer your question below. Thanks for asking

LAL Thanks for looking and commenting! And I'm glad you can learn something from here. Sharing knowledge makes me happy

Sufuri Thanks! It's an honour to be able to inspire somebody Also, you should really set higher goals for yourself
    As for the critique- you're most welcome!

Ssooo... hello, everybody that's reading this. Here's an answer to
    BlackDelphin's question about my technique. Namely, how I manage to deal with colour and light when there are multiple colours and a complex surface involved.

Firstly, I'm not terribly sure I always manage to successfully deal with the above scenario, but here is what I've found helps.

The most important thing in a picture is the light. Because everything we see is reflected light. Even without the colour we would see the different values that the light creates due to the direction it's hitting the object and its surface properties (wether it is reflective or not and so on). So to make my life easier I almost always start from a black and white (or at least monochrome) sketch where I lay in the values without worrying for colour. Because if you have good lighting and values, no matter what colours you choose and how anatomically incorrect your painting is, it'll still be realistic. It'll just be a picture of a grotestque strangely coloured realistic creature. So, always shoot for corect values in your painting.

Because of the way I sketch I always have some values layed in, because it is really hard for me to rely on just linework while sketching. So this makes my job a lot easier.

So, this hopefully answers the part of the question.

When dealing with a complex surface I always work in layers. But by layers I don't mean Photoshop's layers, but layers of detail. For example- if I am painting a knight I think of it's layers of detail from the general forms to the tinier details. I first draw a very rough sketch that has some spots a bit more rendered than others. But it's nothing pretty to look at After that I redraw the pose and details on top of it with a darker value. Then I use the newly drawn lines as guides and I go over them again, rendering the form more precisely. I usually redraw/restate a single area quite a lot of times before I'm happy with it. After I'm happy with the general rendered silhouette of the figure, I pick a darker value again and yet again draw in the finer details. Like the different parts of the knight's armour, belts, buckles and all that. And once again, while rendering the larger forms I often loose the lines of the smaller ones, so I redraw them again. And with each itteration, I use a smaller brush and work more and more carefully until at the end, I am finally staying within the lines

So, to put it simply I never try to deal with the complexity of the object all at once. But I always keep it in mind by constantly restating and redrawing the tiny details.

And that is why my works are always so messy in the beginning stages

Also, there's a step-by-step image that'll hopefully make things a bit more clear. The shots of the face are at 100% size.

Also, some environments that I've started, before finishing anything else. Just to make things more fun And some faces from imagination. I learned a lot doing this. And updates on the knight and mage. Calader told me how many things I've messed up with the knight. Dang... I gotta work on keeping the "life" from the first sketches through to the final rendering.

Sooo... I hope at least some of this helpful to somebody. As always- if you have any questions or suggestions - feel free to share

Thanks for looking!

Name:  mage.jpg
Views: 1659
Size:  125.9 KB
    Name:  knight.jpg
Views: 1647
Size:  110.8 KB
    Name:  knightSBS01.jpg
Views: 1651
Size:  203.0 KB
    Name:  knightSBS02.jpg
Views: 1658
Size:  174.3 KB
    Name:  knightSBS03.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  155.1 KB
    Name:  knightSBS04.jpg
Views: 1648
Size:  175.2 KB
    Name:  knightSBS05.jpg
Views: 1630
Size:  179.1 KB
    Name:  knightSBS06.jpg
Views: 1617
Size:  173.8 KB
    Name:  scene01.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  128.9 KB
    Name:  scene02.jpg
Views: 1669
Size:  123.6 KB
    Name:  scene03.jpg
Views: 1665
Size:  90.6 KB
    Name:  faces.jpg
Views: 1602
Size:  104.1 KB

When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Windmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow man I love your work. I like how you posted the knight from start to finish, very inspiring!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great work with the characters!
    the face of the bearded guy looks way better in the first steps (black/white)
    by adding color and makeing the nose smaller you somehow flattened it, and by showing a little bit more of the right (left) eye and side of the face, it now seems to be wrong.
    hope you know what i'm trying to say.
    Really love your rough sketches!!

when you get to hell, tell them I sent you - you`ll get a group discount

My Sketchbook

kischisart.com
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Apples.

Thanks guys!

flash jordan Thanks! Posting progress shots isn't a problem and I'm really happy it's helpful

kischi Thanks a bunch! Really helpfull critique. As I said above, I really must work a lot on not destroying the life and energy of the initial sketch while rendering.

Here's a tiny update on the knight, before I go to bed. Hopefully I've fixed the face up a bit. Also, did some minor changes on the armour.

Thanks for looking!

Name:  knight.jpg
Views: 1628
Size:  147.9 KB

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ooooh it is always such a treat to see you update! Thank you for that post you did about your process, was very informative. I have just recently understood how important value is, and drawing. And then, way below those; color. It's people like you that keeps me motivated!

kingkostas is offline Train to help world with art someday...
    Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,157 Times in 1,961 Posts
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook man, love those last enviro sketchs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey windmaker, thanks for dropping by my sketchbook and give me important help, your new work is so great as usual,I also want to paint this theme,aha,wait for me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great process stuff, interesting to see how you work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    amazing art and characters!wanna see more =)
    the clothes and armor..everything looks so good,really good fantasy sketches,like this style!

MY SKETCHBOOK

You see things, and you say: 'Why?' But I dream things that never were, and I say:'Why not?'

The future belongs to those who believe in their dreamsİ

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rainbow unicorn duck power!

Thanks for the positive feedback guys!

alexson Heh Glad you find the updates so enjoyable And I'm really glad this whole thing I posted was helpful. If you've got any questions- just ask!
    And a big thanks you for the compliment. As I said earlier- it's an honour to be able to motivate and inspire people

kingkostas Thanks! I'm glad people don't the sketches. I'm always nervous about posting such rough work.

Mark Tarrisse Thank you! They were a hell of a lot of fun to do. But I kinda got side-tracked and never finished them... I hope I'll be able to do it this weekend.

LAL You are very welcome! I'll be glad to see your new works And thanks for commenting!

cakeypigdog Thanks for dropping by! I've always loved seeing process images, so I'm glad people like seeing those in my thread as well. I feel like I want to share so much knowledge with the world. Only problem is that I don't have all that much knowledge to share...

celtica Thanks! Here's more. I hope you won't be disappointed

Soo... here is today's update. A liitle work on those three characters I've been working on for the past... a lot of days. And two new ones.

After giving it a lot of thought, I decided I spend waay too much time on pieces that don't really look like I've spent all that time on them. And I remembered the saying that you learn more from twenty one hour paintings than from one twenty hour painting.
    So now I'm trying to spend my time on a painting much more efficiently. And I'm also limiting myself to working for about an hour and a half on a painting before I begin a new one.
    Also, I remembered another really smart thing. That when you work slower on a painting and actually plan every brush stroke instead of just whacking the brush around aimlessly until something nice happens, you actually get better results faster.

So... I'm trying to do that now. Also, I have to learn how to achieve a nice ballance between hard and soft edges in a painting. Or how to actually make hard edges. Sooo... if anyone's got any advice on the matter- it is more than welcome!

Thanks for looking everybody. As always- feel free to ask questions, or critique, or comment. Or all at once

Name:  archer.jpg
Views: 1449
Size:  182.4 KB
    Name:  knight01.jpg
Views: 1415
Size:  156.4 KB
    Name:  mage.jpg
Views: 1442
Size:  176.3 KB

Name:  knight02.jpg
Views: 1400
Size:  156.3 KB
    Name:  rogue.jpg
Views: 1414
Size:  144.3 KB

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice concepts Windmaker!Love the progress stuff u upload and the sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great armor design

Note to self - Do not try to invade your house.
    Art so far SketchBook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Jesus.. your work is amazing.. really like how you show your WIPS.. love the soft colors you integrate into your work!! keep it up!

Talent and Creativity are yours to use and keep

[S K E T C H B O O K]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The designs are cool, but man the colors are what really get me. I would never have thought to try something like that. really unique

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

There once was a cookie. And it was delicious.

Hey everybody
    Thanks for all the nice replies. You guys rock

Cameli Thanks! I'll be sure to upload some more progress stuff as soon as I can!

Mr.Thorne Thank you. Glad you like the designs! Means a lot to me, since I just recently started thinking more in depth about the designs of things.

Odayga Thanks! Means a lot As for the WIPs- there's more to come if they're helpful. I could do a post on colour as well

Aveh Thanks! Since both design and colour are things I just recently started to dabble in- I'm really glad people like them in my work!

I'm gonna spam you in your individual threads when I get home tonight No time now. But thanks again for taking the time to comment!

Here are some practise paintings. Calader suggested I try painting with no opacity control and opacity set to 100%. And it sucked at first. And I hated it. But now it's awesome and I love it. It's a really great exercise. Makes you work way more focused. The results still aren't particuarlly pretty, but I hope you'll bear with me

I still wonder how it will reflect on my regular work (with opacity control an' all...), but we'll see after I get back from The Iron Curtain workshop. I guess my plan for bringing a portfolio for a review there kinda fails, since I haven't really finished anything in... a lot of time. And I don't really like my previous work. But we'll see. There's still a few days left

So, anyway- here are the paintings. Also, they're *GASP!!!* not fantasy! Truly amazing!

Thanks for looking, everyone Aaand, as always- feel free to comment, critique and ask questions

Name:  ex01.jpg
Views: 1359
Size:  108.1 KB
    Name:  ex02.jpg
Views: 1365
Size:  84.8 KB
    Name:  ex03.jpg
Views: 1367
Size:  144.5 KB
    Name:  ex04.jpg
Views: 1347
Size:  132.7 KB
    Name:  ex05.jpg
Views: 1341
Size:  139.9 KB

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Windmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Pie.

Aaand... a sudden update. Of the update...

Name:  ex05.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  144.5 KB
    Name:  ex04sbs.jpg
Views: 1350
Size:  390.2 KB

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

22. The Following User Says Thank You to Windmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wooow sweet..nice using of colors... love them

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i really appreciate you putting up the progress of your art cheers pal. x

To hell with circumstances; I create opportunities.
    My Sketchbook-
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=190017

SKYPE-
    nyealexandafrayne

Website-
    http://nyealexandafrayne.tumblr.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your character designs and the way you paint.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,322 Times in 1,080 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Ooh so many updates, wonderful all too!
    Thank you for answering my question
    Would you please tell me also more in depth how you make that b&w -sepia into a coloured one? Overlay and multiply? I have tried, but the colour scheme still doesn't look right.. is the shadow for ex a different colour from the light, mid tone, and so on?

Sketchbook

Portfolio

Danny_K Icecold

"Good artists are the crappy artists who never gave up!!"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I really like your colors, and that you don't seem afraid of using more saturated colors but in a realistic way. These last ones are really nice too, I might try that sometime. Seems hard tough. You should do some more environment stuff! I really like the ones you posted before. Keep on being awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work windmaker. Really enjoying your characters.
    The only thing Id mention is that some of the proportions seem a little bit off sometimes. I realise it can be because of the costume - but I think even the costume can be rejigged so that the proportions seem right. Its like having some on the cloths to indicate whereabouts the waist is and things like that.
    Heads seems a bit small in places too, and you dont seem to be drawing feet! Ever! If you keep doing everything but feet, your feet will always be a step behind. Feet will give your characters a better sense of weight and grounding too.

Keep it up dude. Great stuff.

Andrew Porter - Andy - Phandy - PHATandy

www.phandy.co.uk

BLOG

SKETCHBOOK

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your color choices in what I see here, and I love your direct painting approach of the recent figures, very nice. I'd like to see you take one of those figures to another level of rendering too just to see what you do with it. I'd like to see more work from life too; keep up the great work. : D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all
    Once again- thanks for all the feedback! I just got back from Bucharest yesterday evening, and I haven't painted anything for almost a week now. But I did manage to sketch a lot in my sketchbook during the workshop. But I've only managed to scan a few things.
    And, as usual, I'm updating my thread right before going out and being late, sooo... I'll write replies to you when I get home. But thanks again for taking the time to look and leave a comment! It's greatly appreciated!

Aaand- here are the last three paintings/sketches I did before going to the workshop. They were all done in about two hours each.
    Also, there's some spaceship thumbnails I did during the workshop. Steambot's presentations really got me all hyped up on tech design! So, hopefully I'll start sucking less at it
    Next is a sketch I did during one of the drawing jams. There were two lovely models posing for us (This sketch also won me a copy of the Guild Wars 2 artbook in the contest later! Yaay! )
    And lastly- a portrait of one of my coworkers. Our group spent the nights sketching and drinking at the hotel bar

I got to meat lots of awesome people and was overwhelmed by how many tallented artists were attending! I feel so humbled now... But also, as I said, I'm all hyped up about getting better and better at this whole art thing!

Also, I've got about 30-40 more pages of sketches and notes I was taking during the workshop. I'll be scanning them soon I hope!

Soo... feel free to comment and critique!
    And thanks for looking!

Name:  exercise03a.jpg
Views: 1159
Size:  137.5 KB
    Name:  exercise04a.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  143.1 KB
    Name:  exercise04b.jpg
Views: 1168
Size:  142.0 KB
    Name:  spaceships.jpg
Views: 1189
Size:  138.9 KB
    Name:  pencil01.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  162.0 KB
    Name:  pencil02.jpg
Views: 1127
Size:  190.1 KB

Last edited by Windmaker; October 27th, 2010 at 12:36 PM.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Windmaker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You know what I said about all those things , great job, the portrait and the white bearded guy are right in many different ways. And all the talk about minding your volumes and the way shadow and light describe them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    incredible sketch.... really like to learn from you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, dude i love your works, awesome posing and design, the mongolian orcs are so great, and what about the blond guy with the sword!

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 7