Tip for finding references - GOOGLE MAPS!

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks

Tip for finding references - GOOGLE MAPS!

Hey guys, so here is something a bit unconventional but I've been finding REALLY helpful! I've never thought about doing this before, but google maps!

So here's what I've been doing, going to major cities and going to the street view level and BAM, I have a 3d image of people and architecture, look at this I used today -http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ie=UTF8&q=healthcare+94102&fb=1&gl=us&h q=healthcare&hnear=San+Francisco,+CA+94102&view=ma p&cid=664428915857926981&iwloc=A&ved=0CBoQpQY&sa=X &ei=j3aGTLDaI5KCygThye21Aw

And the best part is, I can go back to this same street tomorrow and find a different image, with different lighting and people.

Obviously it's better for gesturals (in terms of drawing the people) but still I thought was a good idea.

Thought I'd pass the tip along .

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. The Following User Says Thank You to love tank For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Yeah, I've thought about using google maps to get good ref images of the nearby houses. There are some beautiful houses but I'm afraid to take pictures because I don't want people to think I'm a suspicious character or something. XD

Last edited by Reutte; September 11th, 2010 at 01:59 PM.
    "A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single step."
    Lao-tzu, Chinese philosopher (604 BC - 531 BC)

My SketchBook.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by love tank View Post
    And the best part is, I can go back to this same street tomorrow and find a different image, with different lighting and people.
    Are you sure the image is updated daily?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by eezacque@xs4all.nl View Post
    Are you sure the image is updated daily?
    Yea I actually don't think it is . I thought it was, but when I see "copyright 2009" on some of san francisco's images it probably isn't. But I do know they aren't done on the same day given how the overcast changes per picture. So when they are updated I have no clue at this point.

Oh and too reutte - haha yea that's exactly why I don't draw too much of what is around me , I'm afraid of being a creeper.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by love tank View Post
    Yea I actually don't think it is . I thought it was, but when I see "copyright 2009" on some of san francisco's images it probably isn't. But I do know they aren't done on the same day given how the overcast changes per picture. So when they are updated I have no clue at this point
    Google has cars travelling around with cameras. I don't know how many they have, but given the size of the world as we know it, I don't think they update every day.

There are some nice anecdotes about people walking out, waving, and then being disappointed they are not on Google Earth...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,196 Times in 870 Posts
    My father's girlfriend happened to be bending over working on a planter box at the end of their driveway when the car went by, somewhat embarrassing.

As to houses and such, why not just go out on the street and draw them? In any decently established city (and even better if it's an older city like Boston or Halifax) there'll be a pretty wide variety of styles and expressions to choose from. Better yet, it's in super-high resolution 3-D!

The Nezumi Works Sketchbook - Now in progress

My online portfolio

Bloggity blog

"Skill is the result of trying again and again, applying our ability and proving our knowledge as we gain it. Let us get used to throwing away the unsuccessful effort and doing the job over. Let us consider obstacles as something to be expected in any endeavor; then they won't seem quite so insurmountable or so defeating." - Andrew Loomis

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Nezumi Works View Post
    My father's girlfriend happened to be bending over working on a planter box at the end of their driveway when the car went by, somewhat embarrassing.

As to houses and such, why not just go out on the street and draw them? In any decently established city (and even better if it's an older city like Boston or Halifax) there'll be a pretty wide variety of styles and expressions to choose from. Better yet, it's in super-high resolution 3-D!

I mean there are definitely "things" I can draw around me, but meh... I've been looking at them for years and it's pretty boring. Google maps gives me interesting things to draw from most places in the USA, and partially the world. I dunno, I enjoy it at least .

Thanks
    Thanked 5,444 Times in 3,656 Posts
    I use it a lot as I don't have the time to go and photo all the places I need.

This guy makes a living from doing it.

Thanks
    Yes. Google maps is great. You can also use this to go to a random location: http://streetviewshuffle.com/

Thanks
    I agree I've been doing this too!!

One of my favorite past times is traveling the streets of boston and drawing the lovely architecture without having to buy a plane ticket.

I appreciate every second of it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.