Thanks

Question about monitor

Will a 19' LCD monitor with 1440 x 900 resolution be good enough for concept art?
    The monitor in question is this one

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    A nineteen-foot monitor?! Hells yeah!

4. The Following User Says Thank You to QueenGwenevere For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    There's a few things you're going to want to look at when looking at a new monitor. From the standpoint of concept art, you're focused on one thing, primarily. That one thing being color. Color range and color accuracy.

Looking at most standard LCD monitors, be sure to take a good look at Contrast Ratio. The higher the contrast ratio, the better (or wider range of) colors you'll typically have. For example, a 1000:1 monitor will have a wider range of color than an 800:1.

You will notice on some monitors something listed called "Dynamic Contrast Ratio". This is a fancy selling term, mostly, and is sort of a "fake" contrast ratio, typically meant to enhance your lights and darks in certain situations. For the most part, do NOT focus on Dynamic Contrast ratio. A monitor with a 1000:1 static contrast ratio but only 10,000:1 dynamic will have a better color display than a monitor with 800:1 static but 30,000:1 dynamic.

Now, strictly speaking, CRT monitors are better for color than LCD monitors. And if they weren't so damn huge, I'd be using one right now.

Also, concerning LCD screens, ideally you'd want to go with an IPS panel instead of a TN panel. But they can tend to be pretty costly.

Given that that's all relatively technical, I'll summarize with simply this:

Use a monitor most suited for what your chosen audience is going to be viewing it from.

That means if you're looking to digitally paint pretty pictures, and have them be viewed almost entirely online. Probably a good idea just to get a nice LCD screen that's going to be somewhat similar to what a bunch of other internet users, potentially gamers will be using.

If you're looking to get into print, then you're going to want to buy a monitor that can achieve a solid color range and accuracy for printing your work and tweaking it appropriately.

Hope that helps.

Oh, and it also helps to know: How do you work? Professionally? A student? As a hobby? Probably not professionally as I imagine you'd simply ask coworkers this kind of question or you'd've had it answered awhile ago. If I'd had to guess I'd say the monitor you picked out isn't a bad one and will probably suit your needs. It may not be the most ideal thing in the world, but those can be costly and depending on where you are in your career it might not be that big of a deal.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Two Listen For This Useful Post:

Randis is offline ( ゚∀゚)/ ♥♥♥ おっぱい!おっぱい!
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,057 Times in 945 Posts
    monitors are cheap this days, get a nice one.
    Currently working on my indie RPG , please check out
    DRAGON FIN SOUP on KICKSTARTER
    Please support my Project!
    - - - - - - - - - -
    My finished paintings and other work

Thanks
    @Two Listen, Thanks for all the good advice! im still a student, with aspiration to go pro. I have a strong background in traditional painting technique but im still new to the digital scene.
    @R a n d i s, I plan to get a better monitor ASAP but right now I cant.
    Until that time comes my question is - should I buy the above one (or something similarly priced) or stick with my old CRT monitor?

Thanks
    It depends on the quality of your CRT monitor. If you are for some reason no longer happy with it, or if it's starting to go down the shitter as all monitors can after a number of years and you're looking to buy another one - the one you've linked to is a fine monitor for the price. The free shipping is nice as well, and I'm sure you'd be happy with it.

Just make sure to calibrate it properly once you've got it, if you get it. And you should be good to go.