Sketchbook: -D_art's sketchbook Sketchbook- - Page 9
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi, I’m happy to have found your sb! There is lots of wonderful work here. I must say the body sketches are great! Both the realistic and the other figures. Then I saw the image in post #225. That environmental painting is excellent. You have wide skills.
    Keep posting please!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh dude your sketchbook is beautiful, i need to up my game so much. Your imaginative faces are really great, how did you get there? Did you do a lot of studies from photo? Life? Or just a lot of imaginative faces.
    Thanks again for this sketchbook, motivates me

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketchbook. I'm always jealous of people that can use painter, I can never figure that program out =)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    rumpenstiltzkin thanks bro
    LastGen not 12 hours I had already started the mad hatter (though sometimes I do) I usually do 8-10 each day except on weekends. As a general rule I must say talent is just an illusion, its all hard work ( check out a guy in ca or devianart called algenpfleger and you will now what i meen)
    Greenhousethanks, sure will
    TFseanall of the above! I recommend you do studies and then do something form imagination applying what you studies, this way what you learn sinks in more
    S Ciaffaglione Painter is a real pain at the beginning(so many freaking brushes) if you ever try it out I recommend watching tutorials from jason chan, ryan church and michael kustche, there brushes and worspaces are really simple and efficient to start off

Master study of the one and only Kevin Llewelyn! I really enjoyed doing this one, about 2h or so, I'm really liking painters brushes.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Thanked 1,068 Times in 577 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    awesome stuff dude, madhatter is great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work, your anatomy study are great!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing! Just amazing and awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi...just took a look at the last 4 pages...your work is amazing! As others have said your sense of light is really good and your characters are very original. Like the Mad Hatter for example.

- A man diligent and skillful in his work will stand before kings -
    - All hard work brings a profit, but mere talk leads only to poverty -

"You can't design what you don't know." Jeff Watts (as seen in Windmaker's SB)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your rendering of the subject matter is delicious. Really like the combinations
    of smoothness and sketchy roughness. I think you've more or less nailed it.

And the mad hatter was scary as anything.

Keep up the good work,

Ana

Get naked, eat sushi!

CA.org sketchbook
    Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lovely sketchbook! I love your environment studies...as well as facial expressions in the portraits!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Fetsch thanks man
    Collin Smiley thanks ^^
    Peipei thanks alot!
    Jephyr X thanks, alot of practice behind haha
    Jansi thanks, I'm really struggleing with my brushwork, I'm very glad you like it
    raqmo thanks

so finally finished! took about 15h maybe more with the additional useless tweakings xD all done in painter except for the hat and the final color and contrast etc, hope you enjoy!

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to -D_art- For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,205 Times in 714 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Amazing! mi única crítica sería tal vez, enfatizar más los músculos del cuello, pero está increíble en todos los sentidos. Iluminación, rendering etc. Una magnífica pieza para tu portfolio!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey D art, your last piece looks fantastic, really great work. I think your brush stroke are awsome and the detailing on the hat look great. I also really enjoyed looking over your studies in the earlier pages, great sketchbook.

Keep the updates coming.

Always looking for feedback, so feel free to stop by any of these, cheers.

Website
    Sketchbook
    Blog
    Facebook

Matt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It seems sooo unreal that you have ever been at a beginner's level!
    And it seems equally unreal I'll ever get to this point!
    The last one is just amazing, how many hours total?

Please post more! *excitement*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is absolutely amazing. You have sensibilities that are really agreeable with my tastes. I hope to be as awesome as you are one day.

Immoral Cintiq's Sketchbook

"Society will DRAW a circle that shuts me out, but my superior thoughts will DRAW me in." -Marva Collins

"Character is what you know you are not what others think you are." -Marva Collins

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ricardo Robles gracias amigo, lo se, me lie mucho con el cuello teniendo el pelo encima y con la grasa al rededor del cuello y las arugas TT. me alegro que te guste!
    Riox thanks a lot, i am on a constant struggle with my brush and edge control, I'm glad you like ^^
    Trixtarthanks! everyone starts at level 0, how you get to level 100 is up to you and how much work you put into your art
    Immortal Cintiq wow, thanks alot, it meens a lot to me

So here is a study of artist sean cheetham. Tried a different lighting situation for this study compared to the previous one. Took about 2 30h there are mistakes with the proportions of the face and I struggled with the colors, ended up being a tad desaturated an less orangy than the original, but I didn't want to spend too much time on it. Learned a ton about edge control, the importance off underpaintings, face structure, color, etc.. you name it! Also added my palette in painter, doing it the old way

To anyone reading, doing studies from paintings compared to photographs is for me much much more helpfull. I really learned alot with this last two studies. When you start drawing you copy from other artists and then from photographs or from life. Painting should be the same. I see that almost everybody does there studies from photographs, dont get me wrong, It is something you should definitely do, not mentioning that there are millions more photos than paintings and the subject matter is immensly more varied. But doing studies from paintings gives a fuller understanding of what you do. I recommend it to everyone to ounce in a while do studies from paintings, the painting has already gone through the eyes and hand of the artist and the obect he has painted has already been analised and studied, lets say that work is already half done for you,(if you get what I meen) you see and understand more what is represented and the process to get there. I wanted to write more but I dont have the time TT

bottom line, study from paintings ounce in a while you can't imagen how much you will learn.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi man, I was reading what you wrote, and with all the respect I have to disagree You said that the painter already studied and analysed the subject and you have that half work done, well I think YOU have to do that 50% to really learn those principles, if not, you are just learning how this artist did his work, not the way you could do it.
    In my opinion, the best reference is nature, still life objects or people in front of you. All the info is in front of you, you just have to work hard on it. Images already have gone through a filter in photography and through another heavier stylistic filter in a painting, so you lost a lot of information you could use and transform with your own view. I´m not saying photos or paintings are really bad to take reference from, in fact you can learn a lot from a painter but not copying his brushstrokes, but analyzing his path to reach certain conclusions. I. e Sorolla has a mindblowing way to capture color and light. I have a book full of his art but I never copied him. I studied him to realize how he manages color and lighting. Then I tried to apply part of that principles to my own paintings (I didn´t succeed much, btw) It wouldn´t been bad to make a study from one of his paintings, but I doubt I have learned a lot doing it. If you want to learn the painting process (like you said), view painting process videos can be very useful, cause you can see the entire process from beginning to end, and not just the final image.
    With that said, I don´t think any kind of study can hurt you I´m talking about the most efficient way to learn and make your painting basis stronger and well, I may be wrong, just talking about my experience.
    Just keep doing what you do, I admire your quick evolution and love how you paint!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow amazing sketchbook! Really nice portrait study, the brushstrokes on the hair are really great. I'll be waiting on another update, Keep kicking butt!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome sketchbook!
    I'm definitely digging the refined but still painterly rendering! Painter ftw

I don't really have any major crits but I feel like the mid tones often look a little too gray. This could be due to excessive color picking/blending. You should try to throw in some saturated colors in there, especially when it comes to skin.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First, Thanks for taking a look at my SB.
    Second your sketchbook is very, very inspiring. So inspiring I'm going to close my browser and start drawing.
    Thanks again,
    Bill

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ~Twig thanks a lot!
    Xelar thanks, my problem is the mixing, when I get my palette done I also loose saturation when mixing the colors in the painting, thanks for pointing it out ^^
    forestdino thanks! keep drawing
    Ricardo Robles Thanks alot for taking the time for reading and commenting. After reading what you wrote I have to say you are right, I hadn't looked at it that way. I completely agree that the best way to learn is directly from nature, instead from photographs or paintings that go through filters. I based what I wrote considering that filter in painting, which is much more important than in photography, would be helpfull to the student, however I hadn't considered what you pointed out, which is a very important point to consider. What you are saying is that you may fall into the danger of being restricted in your way of interpreting what you see right? Thanks for taking the time to comment, I am always open to suggestions and other opinions, I learn alot from listing and understanding other ways of seeing things.Tambien me alegro leer que te guste Sorolla, es una de mis pinturos favoritos desde que vi sus pinturas en el museo del Prado, me impresionaron mucho ^^

To anyone reading what I wrote and am writing is simple observations a personal opinions that I have at the moment, dont take them as rules or facts

Here is a self portrait, graphite on paper, fairly decent put I still have a lot to work on my rendering in pencil(and sorry for the crappy scanner). Its also a gift for my girlfriend xP

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man the Mad Hatter turned out amazing! Loving the last two posts as well.
    Cheers for stopping by my SB too, appreciate the encouraging words.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome work on the hatter! Would love to see a progress progression on that one.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aha, now I just noticed that the vampire portrait was actually a self-portrait, hehe! Actually I like the shading/rendering, it wasn't meant to be a perfect photo-realistic drawing anyway, but you captured the essence which is basically much more important.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    the portraits you do looks so good! really liked the one from #256 !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    so, did ur gf liked the gift? XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The portait looks great dude.
    Me refería exactamente a eso, si. De todas formas es sólo mi punto de vista, si observas que te resulta beneficioso hacer estudios de otros pintores, adelante con todo! Espero no haber sonado demasiado tajante Saludos y espero ver más cosa tuyas pronto.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, cheers for checkn out my sb. really strong stuff you've been pumping out recently. love the female studies, great livelyness and brushwork, those volumes are really solid!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

your eyes (the ones you painted, of course) are great. I think they're very expressive and realistic. Keep on drawing.

Black Spot is offline Pew, Pew, Pew Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,375 Times in 3,596 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    That Mad Hatter is going in my nightmare box. Brilliantly done.

So young in your SP and so pretty. Nice to see some pencil work.

I didn't think it was possible to be called an artist when you have nothing to say. It's like being a writer who publishes individual words as books and expects to be praised for it.

Page 9 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3