on the development of forms.
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question on the development of forms.

im endeavoring to teach myself a more photo-realistic style of painting. and a large part of my efforts thus far have been in weening myself off of the use of cartoonish like outlines to define the edges of my forms. so far i've gotten...mixed results. below is a work in progress im currently trying to render out. i've reduced the lineart layer to a faintly visible 30%, to keep me from relying on it too much for definition. somehow the painting still looks fuzzy and indistinct. and for the life of me i cant figure out why, or how to fix it.

any suggestions?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    small update. i figured out that the resolution was part of the problem. this is actually cropped out of a larger drawing. i uped the resolution to 600 DPI and reworked the edges, i think it looks better. but my original question still stands, how can i better define my forms without resorting to a contour line?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You'd define the forms just like you would in traditional painting, with contrast.

Contrast is literally the difference between things, so by having two different colors or tone next to each other, they are seen as separate. The more similar they are to each other, the more they blend together.

So if it's a sharp edge, have a sharp contrast, if it's a soft rounded surface, have it be a more gradual transition.

"...To spend my life relentlessly producing instead of sedately consuming..." -xkcd

My site: www.truepinkas.com

Slowly populating my It's Finally Finished thread!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.