Aspiring video game designer.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Smile Aspiring video game designer.

Hello everyone, the reason why I created this is because I'm aspiring to become a video game designer/developer. I would like to know what major/area I should study? What mindset/skillset I should obtain? What to do to brush up on those skills? Anything that can be of serious help of creating a path towards my goal of becoming a video game designer.

- I've been accepted to both SVA and FIT. Which has more "bang for your buck" because I'm considering on doing Computer Art and Animation?

- Any alternative roads I should follow?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Game development isn't just one discipline; like film making it's a composite of diverse fields, from concept art to animation to programming. What, exactly within the field do you want to do?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Meloncov View Post
    Game development isn't just one discipline; like film making it's a composite of diverse fields, from concept art to animation to programming. What, exactly within the field do you want to do?
    I understand that there's more than one concept in terms of game design. I was leaning towards majoring in Computer Art/Animation with a little knowledge in Fine Arts...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by DXboy1992 View Post
    I understand that there's more than one concept in terms of game design. I was leaning towards majoring in Computer Art/Animation with a little knowledge in Fine Arts...
    That's still very broad. A tiny studio might employ someone in that diverse a positions, but at any mid to large studio you'd be either a concept artists or an animator. If you want to be a concept artist, major in illustration (or a dedicated concept art/visual development program if you're at one of the handful of schools that offer it). If you want to be an animator, major in animation.

Now, you don't have to decide right away. Almost all art schools are set up so that you don't have to declare a major until late in your second semester, so you can dip your toes in both pools before declaring.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.