usb memory stick issues

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angry usb memory stick issues

Yesterday I plugged in my usb memory stick and it gave me the “The disk in drive G is not formatted. Do you want to format it now?” error, and I couldn’t access my data. Between the penultimate time I used it, which was just a couple of days ago, and yesterday I haven’t updated, installed or uninstalled any software (or hardware for that matter). I THINK I may have pulled it out a second to early, before the message telling me that it’s now safe to remove appeared.

Since yesterday I tried pretty much everything: about 5 different programs that were supposed to get my data back, strange ms-dos procedures, reinstalling Windows, plugging it in all 4 usb ports in my computer, plugging it in all usb ports of 2 other computers and generally every solution that I could find and had to know-how to attempt. Nothing worked, I still get the same message and still can’t access my data.

This data is of utmost importance to me, at the risk of sounding ridiculous, I am more or less screwed without it.

Can anyone help me? And no, it has to write protection switch. Or a driver for that matter.

Please keep in mind that it’s the data I care about, recovering my stick’s functionality is of little importance to me if I can get the data back. So formatting is totally out of the question.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,259 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    From what I understand or remember, flash drives may have a limited r/w cycle. In addition it may actually be a hardware error on the stick itself. I have received that error on plug in memory sticks (where you insert the memory card into a usb stick).

With yours, I'm suspecting it's the latter and not the former that is causing the error. It's picking it up as a drive but the stick is probably damaged so it can't read the data.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.