Thanks

Unhappy fear of drawing when somebody is looking

hi everyone

I'm new here and I wanted to ask, if there's somebody with the same problem.
    I love drawing, painting, taking photos and everything about art, but I've got a problem. I can't do it when anybody is looking to my paper or see the drawing before its done. I just can't stand it. My hands start to shake, my eyes became wet (I usually try to hide tears in my eyes), my heartbeat is really fast and I want to tear up the paper :/
    It's really hard for me, cause I go to art school and teachers are there to help us I don't know what to do..... can anybody help me?

(sorry for my bad english )

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    What, exactly, are you afraid of? Ridicule? Criticism? Making a mistake?

Thanks
    I just like to show pictures when I feel they're done and I like them. maybe it's cause someone can steal the idea or something like that. (it happened few times) or just....I usually don't like when people see my feelings that I draw, you know.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,780 Times in 850 Posts
    I can see you want to show off a pretty picture when somebody is looking, but you can't, because the early stages have nothing to do with a pretty picture, it's all about strategy. believe it or not it's your ego causing the fear. Your ego makes you shy and self conscious. Get over trying to impress your teacher and let them see your weaknesses. Don't hide them in a classroom setting. That would just be counter productive. Don't worry your not alone. It's fairly common.

Edit:

If somebody ganks your idea, do the world a favor and call them the fuck out. Plagiarists are thieves and should treated as such. As for your emotions, that is what will define you as an artist. If you can get people to relate, then you will have a following.
    Last edited by Raoul Duke; August 31st, 2010 at 04:33 PM.

Thanks
    maybe it's cause someone can steal the idea or something like that. (it happened few times)
    That's one fear I'd get rid of. Even if someone likes your idea enough to do their own take on it, they'll never execute it the same way you will, and it's the execution that matters. Personally, I've found that my stories and concepts evolve in ways I'd never have imagined when I use others as a sounding board first.

That only applies to art, though. If you're coming up with some fantastic amazing invention to bring world peace, end hunger, and give everyone a free puppy, I'd keep it to yourself.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    The problem might be the art equivalent of stage-fright - where you're nervous about making mistakes and afraid of people seeing all the ugly stages a drawing goes through before it's done... in which case, like Raoul said, you'll just have to face your fears and conquer your ego.

If it's a larger issue, like real anxiety, maybe you could try talking to your teachers about it? They might actually be able to help, if you let them.

Thanks
    I actually do surprisingly well when people are looking. I try to act like I'm not really trying and since I'm not worried about overanalyzing shit, things turn out surprisingly well.

And then later I'm like "...damn. If only I could not give a shit more."

The whole "looking over your shoulder" thing has always annoyed me, though.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    People do it because they're curious. It's not like there's a set protocol about how to behave around someone who's drawing and there really shouldn't be. If it bothers you, just politely ask them not to do it. Tell them you get "stage fright" and laugh it off. As you get more confident, you'll find that this problem will go away.

Thanks
    thank you very much for all your advices
    I think Raoul has found the problem, I just can't swallow that the early stages can be ugly:/ I'm sure I need more practise. If I draw better, my self confidence might change.

Thanks
    What Raoul said, especially this:
    "Get over trying to impress your teacher and let them see your weaknesses."
    That is worth being quoted.

Also, you can always draw a quick penis when someone (other than your teacher) is looking. I mean it. It eases the tension. Most of the times.

Thanks
    First of all who is just watching you?... And second, if your talking about in a classroom I would assume everyone is working on something so the instructor is going to check on everyone. Do you mean at home? You should look at it like "this person is interested in what I'm doing". If NO ONE was ever looking that's when I would be worried. Be glad your work is worth being starred at.

Thanks
    Just push yourself through it, start doing some life drawing on the train. When I first started drawing of the train I would only draw when I had a seat to myself and was so self conscious about it. After awhile I got over it, some people get curious, some people get nervous which is hilarious, some just dont give a shit. Just remember to have fun.

Currently looking for work!

Thanks
    Most of the time I don't give two tugs about who's looking over my shoulder. Except when I'm doodling out kill-shots, in which case I only draw those in the privacy of my home as so I don't wind up getting arrested or something.
    Amateur Artist. Professional Asshole.

Lookit the Pretty!

Rule #1 of depicting soldiers: KEEP THE DAMN FINGER OFF THE DAMN TRIGGER.

Thanks
    Keep in mind that people like to see the stages of a drawing. They enjoy seeing how it goes from ugly, deformed looking sketch (which is what all of my sketches look like LMAO) to the beautiful piece of art that you create at the end.

Try to laugh about it and it might loosen you up. Make jokes! If I'm being watched, I tend to make fun of my drawing as I go. Might work for you

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts
    This is something you are going to have to get over if you're going to get all you can from art school. If you can't do it by yourself, you may want to see a therapist (preferably somebody experienced with stage fright/phobias/other irrational anxiety issues). Seriously.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    hey Velly, I wrote a similar post to yours a couple of days ago. I started art school TODAY and I'm also nervous about working with other people around me. Here's the link, I hope it helps you! http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...=1#post2853345

Look at it this way...imagine you are having a figure drawing class with 10 other students. Some of them arent that good (yet). Would you care? When you get back home, would you be like "lol I'm still thinking about those 3 girls who couldn't get the head size right". naw. One of the first things that my art teacher said today on our very first school day was "you can't keep comparing yourself to others. You need to focus on your own work. Improvement is what we want to see". I couldn't even sleep last night cuz I was too nervous/scared over the same things that you mentioned. Now it's all good. When I met the other students I straight up told them how I feel and some of them said they feel the same way too.