Hello everyone, I'm probally the worst digital Artist around. =/
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Hello everyone, I'm probally the worst digital Artist around. =/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hello everyone, I'm probally the worst digital Artist around. =/

Yes, a big statement but its true I can't draw with my tablet at all I'm so damn confused its funny. I can draw decent with a pencil and paper but I'm never able to recreate any of my works.

I'm fifteen and most likely one of the youngest members here, and I've joined this site to get help from the best since I couldn't get any info from the tutorials I managed to find.

I have Photoshop Elements 7.0 and a Wacom: Bamboo Fun Tablet, I do small doodles and such if you'd like to see my terrible terrible work I'll post some up mind you I can never really draw out my imagination which just tears me apart since I have these wild pictures in my head.
    But anyways I hope I can rectify this problem and get past whats holding me back from drawing what I want to draw digitally.

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Cool. Post some work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Sev' View Post
    Yes, a big statement but its true I can't draw with my tablet at all I'm so damn confused its funny. I can draw decent with a pencil and paper but I'm never able to recreate any of my works.

I'm fifteen and most likely one of the youngest members here, and I've joined this site to get help from the best since I couldn't get any info from the tutorials I managed to find.

I have Photoshop Elements 7.0 and a Wacom: Bamboo Fun Tablet, I do small doodles and such if you'd like to see my terrible terrible work I'll post some up mind you I can never really draw out my imagination which just tears me apart since I have these wild pictures in my head.
    But anyways I hope I can rectify this problem and get past whats holding me back from drawing what I want to draw digitally.
    We all have this problem... I know I do at least. What pops up in my head never materializes on paper/canvas/photoshop quite the same way. But it isn't constructive, I don't think, to think of it like a "problem" to simply "fix". Creating art and improving at visually expressing yourself is a journey.

Right now, your next step on that journey should be to start a sketchbook in the sketchbook section, and show us your work. Then we can give you specific critiques to help you focus on areas to improve. You can also post your work in the critique/WIP section if you like.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    All of these threads that pop up can be summed up with the word practice. Keep drawing with your tablet and you will get used to it.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to JJacks For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Practice? I play around with it everyday since I got it, and I'm still not getting anywhere.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    When did you get it? It can take a while to get used to drawing with a tablet. When I first tried it I couldn't control my lines at all...

Also, what's the problem, exactly? Is it just lack of control, or something specific? (If your tablet feels REALLY weird to draw with, check the tablet preferences, sometimes you have to adjust them, the default settings aren't always right.)

Of course the tablet won't make you better at drawing what's in your head, so don't expect it to. THAT takes years of practice drawing with any medium, tablet or no tablet.

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Pics or it didn't happen.
    Start a thread in the Sketchbooks section.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I got it, Last Christmas... I dunno I just can't control my lines, it feels awkward and I don't know how to colour all to well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Relax! Are you getting frustrated easily and tensing up?

As mentioned before, post a sketchbook thread, and just start doodling like crazy. Don't even aim to create a huge masterpiece, just draw. Draw squigglies and kittens and flowers and nothings. Then... go from there!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,198 Times in 1,055 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Knowing how to "color well" has nothing to do with the tablet - that takes years of practice, so patience. Post stuff here and ask for advice, you'll learn eventually. Start with simple stuff and work your way up.

Control might also take a long time if you've never really drawn digitally before - you're having to get used to drawing on one surface (your tablet) while looking at another (your screen), it is very weird and takes time to master.

But if your tablet feels really awkward, like I said, try playing with the settings, you might have it set to be too sensitive or not sensitive enough. Also try using it in different positions, if it's sitting too high or too low or at an awkward angle or something, it'll be uncomfortable and hard to use.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'd initially written something more rude than this.

Short version.

If you're not interested in posting your art for critique so we know what in the hell you're talking about, at least put the effort into this thread to try and fool us into thinking it's about some deep philisophical issue we've got to go through 3 pages to needlessly discuss.

Because right now all you've presented us with is "I has a sad just thought you should know".

And that's annoying. If you're not interested in actually showing us what you're talking about, please post in this thread next time instead of making a new thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, I love you too, and sorry I'm making up some sketches for you now your greatness since you seem to be the Forum Asshole I'll keep it brief to stop to Troll Rage.

FourTonMantis is offline Without vision we will die Level 11 Gladiator: Essedarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    lulz. take that shit in stride and realize not everyone (in fact, most no one) is going to pity you. practice. you'll get better. i've been there. we all have.

Last edited by FourTonMantis; August 31st, 2010 at 07:09 PM.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to FourTonMantis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasting time moping instead of working doesn't get you anywhere.

You're 15 you say? That way *way* too early to begin to even think about considering that you lack something to make it as an awesome artist.

Maybe you're not comfortable with the size of the tablet.. imo bigger tablets, better control. Also, if you have a widescreen monitor but a un-widescreen tablet, you're trying to work in 2 different dimensions (you're projecting a 4:3 controller on a 16:9.. it'll turn out bad).

It should be easily configured in the Bamboo settings in Control Panel.

-EDIT-
    Practise is key (bare minimum an hour a day)

Knowledge is key (do bunch of tutorials, learn anatomy, perspective, the works)

My SketchBook

--Wait, whut? --
    Anonymous

Elwell is offline Sticks Like Grim Death Level 17 Gladiator: Spartacus' Dimachaeri
    Thanks
    Thanked 16,666 Times in 5,020 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by 'Sev' View Post
    Oh, I love you too, and sorry I'm making up some sketches for you now your greatness since you seem to be the Forum Asshole I'll keep it brief to stop to Troll Rage.
    Well then.
    I'm closing this before it goes further down hill, and because whatever purpose it had has been served.
    Start a sketchbook and let's pretend none of this ever happened, shall we?

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

Crash Course for Artists, Illustrators, and Cartoonists, NYC, the 2013 Edition!

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 1