Sketchbook: Deadlines.' Sketchbook - New, ambitious, and thirsty for C&C - Page 2

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Deadlines.' Sketchbook - New, ambitious, and thirsty for C&C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oct5th - From ref. Like the finish on this one; hands are a little weak, and face is too...but overall pleased. Any ideas for improvement?

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey The last picture is nice My only crit about the colours is that they are a bit too saturated everywhere.
    But I believe that you still have some drawing issues that you need to take care of. For example, I don't really feel the weight of her elbow against her leg. It feels like she's just barely touching her leg instead of leaning on it. Try to work those issues out before you start with the rendering. Also, you may try to incorporate some harder edges here and there, because right now she's a bit blurry everywhere. You can see her hand actually blending with her leg. As is the upper arm with her torso. Pick a spot the viewer should focus on and make the edges nice and sharp there. Also, having clearly defined edges gives a much more finished look to a picture.

Hope that helps! And good luck!

When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Windmaker: Thanks so much for the crits!

Yeah I don't know...I have a bit of an issue drawing lineart with my wacom. Not sure if I should keep at it, or just pencil and find a scanner somewhere. But seriously, that's very helpful! Thanks a lot!

Here is another; did it this morning. Not overly pleased, actually:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oct12th - Pretty happy with this one; ending my streak of -crap- that I've been painting lately. I need to do some serious anatomy work, but for today I had some fun watching a few Whit Brachna videos and hammering out a landscape.

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work. Only thing that bothers me now is that the midground and background elements have the same contrast and about the same values. But that's easy enough to fix
    Good luck with the studies! An advice I can give is to concentrate on line drawings and forget about rendering and colour for a while. You'll learn much more in a much shorter time.
    Good luck again!

When in doubt, run and shout.

Sketchbook Vol.2

Sketchbook Vol.1

Blog

lys's sketchbook
    click there!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Windmaker: Thanks for coming back and giving me some tips man! I really appreciate it. I will be working on my lineart; check back and crit that too if you're up for it mate

Cheers,

Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oct 15th - Some studies from Bridgeman. Ehhhhh, not bad. Learned a lot about the masses of the body. The rear view -sucks- though.

cheers,

-deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Such a nice comment you left on my sketchbook, thanks

I'll just share with you what I know and hope it helps because I'm really bad at giving specific critiques because it really goes about everything.

Start:
    Think about form.
    What you are drawing, is not lines, it's not color or texture. You are trying to render something 3D in 2D space. Everything you draw, you have to think about in 3D.
    You must be able to rotate, whatever it is you are trying to draw, in your head in any way.

Let's take a person, can you rotate this person in your head and can you accurately see all the details from all angles?
    I can't. But I'm getting better at it by continuously drawing them.
    But take a leg for example, I've drawn legs so many times that I can very accurately see the leg in my head and twist and turn it how I wish.

When I draw, I don't think about the line or the stroke as much as I do about if it shows the form/shape of what I'm rendering/sketching.

As for the mechanical technique of drawing, e.g like holding your pencil or whatever.
    I find that working from dark to light is the quickest and easiest way to draw.
    start with a fairly dark tone and paint the form, but leave the darkest darks and the lightest lights to the very end.

also.

Watch this; http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/store/product/185/
    Best DVD on the subject by far.

Spend more time thinking about what you're doing rather than do it. Helps me a lot.

...now where are my naked pics! D:

Website
    Contact - Quick and easy.
    CA Sketchbook - Sketches, process images, finished work, random banter.
    -------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think the two things you need to do most for now is, give some more attention on edges. There are alot of places that should be soft and are hard and the reverse as well. And the other is just spend more time on them, all the digitals are to the point of a good lay in, now you gotta go in and really see if the drawing was right and check negative space to get things more accurate.

You'd be surprised how close you can get things to look when you really go back and only focus on that while painting. Show us more!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Reedux: Well, you deserve it mate. Your stuff is great. Thanks so much; and I'll definitely check out that DVD. Rendering it in 3D in my head is something I will work on. Bridgeman does a pretty good job of it in his book.

EDIT: BOUGHT the DVD! $50 leap of faith there mate, better pay off

@Aveh: Thanks man! Yeah, as much as I want to do the speepainting, it seems you kind of need to know what you're doing first before you try and do it with less lines. The piece I did yesterday is a great example; it looked like garbage until the...oh, I dunno...4th hour! Haha.

And with that, my newest bit of painting. Very happy with this one, as it is my first "big step" in progress. I'm happy with the colours and the lines (debating getting the book Color and Light by James Gurney), and it just looks good to me.

Of course, I'm sure there is -plenty- wrong with it that you concept-art folk can help me with! Much obliged!

Cheers,

-Deadlines.

Last edited by Deadlines.; October 18th, 2010 at 08:04 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't mean to be obnoxious by bumping this, but can anyone tell me if my lighting was at all proper on this last piece? The blue underlighting...I'm not sure about.

Thanks in advance!

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oct.22 - Quick sketch/speedpaint of a deer. Studying deer all day; kind of fun, actually. The antlers blow, but I didnt spend all that much time on them. In fact, I finished this in just under an hour. Not bad.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your deer looks dead ._. Give this poor deer more living color! Bämm, punch in a red and a yellow! Fur isn't always the same color. Every hair is other!

But anyway! You're doing great! Just keep it up please!

Greetings Silwynar!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey! Thanks for stopping by my sketchbook!
    I think you have a great plateau to start from. Here is something for you to practice more! as it said the more you practice your weaknesses the better you get! So...you have a nice lines, you'll be better at them in no time! But, you've started drawing color without practicing more with your tones. I can assure you that if you would be better with tones your color will come faster than rather doing only color. Drawing right comes from understanding right =)
    So I hope this would be useful! Cheers! DRAW OR DIE!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Silwynar: haha thanks man. My dead deer will appreciate the input when I give him some more colour

@Kristoff: GREAT advice dude; yeah actually I'm planning on doing some greyscale stuff immediately. I've been doing a lot of anatomy sketches out of Bridgman the past few days, but those are boring as hell and some painting (albeit, in greys and blacks!) will be hella fun.

Cheers guys, thanks!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oct.26th- Been doing a lot of Bridgeman, and so this latest study is a massive disappointment. I didn't even want to put it up...but it's digital so I thought I'd better. Tried to render in greyscale...ugh it didn't turn out at all. My lighting is obviously garbage still; need to check out that movie again.

Well, let me know what I can work on, I suppose. Yikes, it just looks horrid. Her right arm is ghastly.

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nov.16th-

Hey conceptart! Its been awhile, but I haven't been doing nothing! Working away on Bridgeman, as well as designing some jewelry for a budding business I'm looking at beginning.

Anyhow, my anatomy is coming along at a glacial pace...but at least its coming. Regrettably, I don't have a scanner to show you guys the stuff. I suppose I can take some shots with my iphone.

That's what I did here...let me know if the quality is good enough, and I suppose I'll just keep doing that!

Cheers,

-Deadlines.

(PS all of these sketches took about 10~ minutes apiece. Speedsketches, if you will)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nov.24th - Still just using my sketchbook. Will be doing more digital paints soon! Body art here; not too shabby, still working on anatomy. I have a long way to go.

Working on faces and lighting also. Difficult stuff; ordered a book by James Gurney to help me out with that. The dude made up Dinotopia - he has to be amazing.

Thanks guys

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nov.26th - First digital paint in awhile! Kind of crappy, and it's a bit half-finished. I need to get a scanner so I can scan my pencil-lines in, and then colour them on PS.

The anatomy is a bit off, I know; the pose was from posemaniacs. I think I did alright that way, however (his) right arm looks like it may be too short.

Cheers, and thanks in advance for any comments.

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your use of color, especially on post # 23

I think you need to work more on faces. They seem unrefined and lifeless. For this I suspect it's because of a lack of highlight in the eyes, and overall lack of hue variation in the flesh and shadows. (for your most recent one)

For the girl on post #27 Try yo you a small, tapered brush on full opacity, and focus mostly on where the hair is highlighted to use such small strokes. #31 is much better with the hair.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Oblivia: Thanks! Yeah I've been meaning to study some more faces...any ideas of where I can go for some good practical instruction? It seems I'm tackling them in the wrong way, especially eyes. I -really- struggle with eyes.

And thank you for the advice on hair! It's another thing I struggle with, however I've recently begun blocking it in instead of worrying about too many strands, and it has helped a bit. I think strands on the highlighted bits is a fantastic idea, and I'll be trying that soon!

Thanks again,

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nov.28th:

Hey guys, I have a major problem today and I -really- need some advice as to how to fix it.

The background looks like absolute shite in this picture...I've been trying to work it for like, an hour, and I can't seem to figure it out.

1) I think the tree beside the character looks crappy...should I just scrap it? Is it bad composition?

2) How do I make the forest behind the character without drawing attention away from him? Just draw it super unsaturated? But then it looks really...lame.

3) Should I just block in the colours, leaving them abstract? Or should I try an draw a few trees, and block behind?

Ahhh, I would REALLY appreciate some help on this one.

Thanks so much guys,

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm...I'm thinking of scrapping that tree altogether. I've been looking at some landscapes, and it appears that its a little to saturated to use as a marker for stuff further back.

Anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nov.28th - Sketchbook sketch today, from ref. Chanel model, clearly (ooh, my work on those C's is garbage).

Her left leg is a little rubbery, not quite what I wanted. The values are pretty good though; trying to get a grasp on fabrics.

Face? I'd give it a 6/10. Her hands are pretty good though.

I still need a hand on my painting from before, if anyone has the time

Cheers,

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Deadlines. !

Sorry, I searched all my places I could have saved one photo I had, but I lost it when my hard drive died. --nvm I FOUND IT!

http://img541.imageshack.us/img541/2272/headsq.jpg

Someone posted it here on CA a while ago (a year or so ago) and I saved it since it was so useful. So I hope this is a little help

Otherwise, I normally find that what gives a character 'life' is the reflection of light in their eyes, as we sometimes read in literature or see on films, the light that is in the eyes is gone when someone dies.

Edit:

Also, I think while there are rules for faces etc. the best way to learn them is to simply keep drawing them, and eventually it will come naturally to realize "this is too low... too high... not right"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Deadlines. View Post
    Nov.28th:

2) How do I make the forest behind the character without drawing attention away from him? Just draw it super unsaturated? But then it looks really...lame.
    In my opinion, just a darker/slightly less saturated background color might look nice. Just remember your character is the focus, so you can do subtle hints of color in the background without making it over dramatic.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Oblivia Enna

Thank you so much Oblivia! That collage of faces is extremely helpful!

I will indeed go for a less saturated background. But as for suggesting trees...should I just not do it? I can understand why it might be a bad idea, but it just seems like a problem for me not to be able to establish a background behind the character.

Thanks again for all your help,

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nov.30th - Very happy with this one. The fabrics are rendered well, and the anatomy lets me know I've made some progress.

She didn't have pants on for a reason. [Insert joke here]

Really, it's because I'm brutal at rendering pants. Will have to do a pants study soon.

...Enough pants talk.

Still doesn't have the "light in the eyes" yet. Will be studying the faces that Oblivia uploaded.

Cheers,

-Deadlines.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You should try some drawings with just rendering without any lines Hold your pencil on a 45 degree angle in your hand so there's more of the graphite touching the paper, it's much more free to draw with. Like this http://www.artinstructionblog.com/wp..._08demo_1b.jpg

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @ Oblivia: Thanks a lot! That looks like a killer technique, Ill give 'er a try.

-Deadlines.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.