Thanks

How do you prevent spam

I just realised that my web email is getting more and more spams lately until its begginging to feel irritating clearing away all the large chunks of spams daily. I heard some ways to help prevent it by altering the email shown on the web by adding a few more characters to your real email so it doesnt look like a email add, prevents the bot from grabbing it. The filtering method although may help but sometimes remove my important mails which seems dangerous to me.

Do you guys have this problem? So how do you guys deal with it, want to share your thoughts?
    "Live each day as if it was your last day, and you will find each day worth living for."

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Well I know there is a search engine... that people use to get your email

they do a search for

the tag (mailto then any number of charecters... my dad has a cgi script you plug in to stop people from doing a search for your email..

as far as recieving spam.. you can setup filters in most email softwares... so when you are downloading email it filters out emails with keywords in the subject or text... I will try and make a tutorial or find one and post it later after my class...

good luck,
    Shawn..

PS I want to know what everyone eles does.. cause I know there are more things out there...

peace
    -mike
    -Deth Jester
    "Live each day like you will die tommorow, and dream like you will live forever..."

Thanks
    This little script should keep the bots from sniffing your e-mail address off of your webpage.

Code:
    [size=large]<!--
    var name = "kirt_stanke";
    var domain = "yahoo.com";
    document.write('<a href=\"mailto:' + name + '@' + domain + '\">');
    document.write(name + '@' + domain + '</a>');
    // -->[/size]
    Just replace the text in red with your info.
    Last edited by Kirt; March 5th, 2004 at 04:38 AM.

Thanks
    If you have outlook, set up a rule so that if the sender of an email is anyone other than the people on your address book it goes to a folder called "probably spam". check it every once in a while to make sure there are no real pieces of email in it, then dump the contents...

-Sean

Thanks
    In my experience, there is pretty much no way to stop spam without also accidentally losing some legitiment emails as well.

Thanks
    Hmm, if Kirt's way is going to work. I'm going to give it a try. I assume I just need to insert that script to the page where the email is located, thats it? Just cleared away more bunch of spams today...:bash:
    "Live each day as if it was your last day, and you will find each day worth living for."