Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    To answer your private message, I'm gonna give my answer here to give you a bump, so you might get more critique
    I'm using photoshop CS4 to paint my landscapes/portraits/real life etc...
    I've got a wacom intuos 4 large which I'm very pleased about, if you ever think of buying a new tablet, the wacom intuos series are really great.
    You asked me how I did environments... I do not think there is any secret to it, the only advice is to study study study photos. Take a random photo from the internet and redo it without color picking or painting on top of the photo. Learn about atmospheric perspective, normal perspective, how the colors work, is the grass really green or is it dark yellow?, what color is stone really? and so on.. just build up a solid base of knowledge.
    Second, it's important to know your colors (im trying to work on that at the moment), but be sure to have your values right, nothing is more dull than a painting which consists of pure middle values (that is my big downfall, I haven't done enough Black & White studies), so lots of Black & White studies as well!
    Be aware of your edges as well, my biggest mistake when I started out doing landscapes was to get everything in a sort of blurryish mode.. I got the blurriness from using a pen pressure brush where it wasnt 100% oppacity I was painting with each time..

So after this long read, I have a little critique.. Try to work more with your values.. What I mean is that alot of your drawings have the same values all over the place, just a small thing to think about
    - I think your'e on to a good start, I'm gonna keep an eye out on your sketchbook, so you better update as often as possible! You know we're the same age, so there is no reason why you can't upload every day as I am Just work hard mate!

- If anyone has had the time to read this, please correct me if I'm wrong about anything. I'm just a beginner
    >>>Sketchbook<<<
    "First ask yourself: What is the worst that can happen? Then prepare to accept it. Then proceed to improve on the worst.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    @ Ogihara Alas, you got the good stuff I have a Bamboo and Photoshop 7. But thanks for the critique. I'll work on the Values.

Thanks
    Update- I'm starting to look at MMA Fighters for Torso practices. And I did a Value Practice, I really need Charcoal instead of black colored pencil. Oh and I did a 7 minute landscape painting which is horrible.
    Last edited by Ven S; August 4th, 2012 at 11:32 PM.

Thanks
    Here ya go guys more updates. I'm getting better with hands. And I realized.. don't be afraid to use simple shapes to help you draw

Thanks
    Update with Digital Art. I need to work more on still lifes
    Reference
    ★★Ven's Sketchbook★★
    ★★Ven's Sketchbook★★

Thanks
    Keep pushing the photo studies. Focus really hard on the proportions and structure, it's what's important in the beginning. If you try to do everything at once it will get overwhelming. Do them in chunks. I'd suggest you do a week of figure stuff and then a week of maybe still lifes and so on, so you don't get confused. I've found that I learn more that way myself.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Loathsome For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    With fx the mountains covered in snow, I find it easier to start with the darks on the mountain (the rocks) and then add snow/light blue afterwards Always start by blocking in everything, have a thumbnail in the button, if this reads the overall colors well, you've done something right After that you can start implying details, do NOT render anything, when it comes to landscapes its all about implying detail. If you start rendering a rock, your'e gonna have a hell of a time rendering everything else looking as good as the rock Keep it up
    >>>Sketchbook<<<
    "First ask yourself: What is the worst that can happen? Then prepare to accept it. Then proceed to improve on the worst.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Ogihara For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,688 Times in 1,478 Posts
    Good idea to study value.

For this one...

Here's an excerpt from an excellent, yet far out of print book "Treatise on Landscape Painting" by Andre Lhote (a French cubist).

Attachment 1265750

Notice how there are halos outside of the form, emphasizing simultaneous contrast in value. A white halo on a sphere against a dark form will make it seem to recede. The dark halo against a lightened form does the same thing.

Notice the shape of the shadow on the sphere. The darkest part isn't right at the edge... it's away from it. Nearer the edge, there's reflected light, so it will appear lighter. The half-moon shaped shadow is called the core or core shadow. All spherical and cylindrical and conical forms have a core if they are lit adequately.

Keep working
    Thinking connects desire with creation.
    How good are you?

The Road to Perdition
    clog

12. The Following User Says Thank You to p sage For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ Ogihara Thanks for the tip buddy I admit when I first painted the mountain I went with the snow first but this time I'll go for the rocks.

@ p sage Thank you man I never had a clear understanding when putting shade on spheres but that helped

I'm currently working on a volcano but won't be able to post it today as I'm going to sit out at the movie theater for transformers 3 I'll bring my sketchbook and post tomorrow. I gotta stop being distracted

Thanks
    Never feel like I'm a very strong position to give advice, but I'd say your portrait/features dont need such heavy lines. If you're shading a face then you can often show form a lot better without lines, just by pushing things back and forward with tone.
    Sure someone else can explain it much better, feel free to ignore me. It's something that I struggle with doing ayway lol .

Keep it up though man, had a quick flick through and your work seems to be coming along nicely

15. The Following User Says Thank You to JakeB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree with JakeB. Focus more on light and shadows and values. Good progress though.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Zephyrion For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Hey buddy, thanks for commenting on my SB! I think you need to push your contrast a bit more, go a bit darker in value towards the shadow side of things -- but don't overmodel it, there's a fine balance! You'll find this out after a looot of practice, I still am!

I'm going to keep an eye on this SB, I think you have a lot of potential. You started out way better than me!!! Keep chuggin'.
    https://www.artstation.com/artist/robertshirley

Looking for professional work (both freelance and full time opportunities)!

Inquiries: Robertshirleyart@gmail.com

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Deadlyhazard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    @ JakeB & cannibalcarnivale Thanks you guys
    @ Deadlyhazard Thanks for helping out man, means alot to me

Todays a day where you don't feel like posting your work because it sucks so much. Well I did a 8 minute run on PS. Pretty horrible but I wanna post my attempt on contrast

Thanks
    I fixed it up a little and put more contrast. But it still sucks though, but thats what practice is for. Never give up!!!

Thanks
    Hand Studies

Page 11 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast