Logo Design Challenge: The Midnight Society [Deadline Extended!]

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Logo Design Challenge: The Midnight Society [Deadline Extended!]

Since we've got a Graphic Design section now and at least a few CA.orgers who are also designers--or who want to explore it-- I thought a design challenge would be a fun change of pace. Read on:

The Midnight Society is a private literary club in Chicago, Illinois. Established in 1940, the Midnight Society has continued to serve as a forum for writers and bibliophiles of all social classes to meet, share, and imagine. In addition to a monthly discussion group which includes the opportunity for members to present their original writing or newly acquired works, members have access to the club's vast collection of rare and antiquarian books, as well as to their collection of unique curios donated by members throughout the group's history. Membership is by invitation only. Prospective members must submit a writing sample to be considered for approval.

The Challenge
    Design a logo for this fictional organization. If you want to take it further and develop more materials (ex: membership invitation, business cards, website, etc) feel free, but only logos will go to poll.

Rules:
    One entry per person
    No Comic Sans. Ever.
    Have fun!

Deadline: Tuesday, September 28

Last edited by Senira; September 11th, 2010 at 05:51 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy a little too late perhaps

i would like to give it a try i'm learning a thing or two, but (as always) i cant make it on time even to participate in the time of the challenge... 7/9 is alreday yesterday...
    soooo... are we getting a new chalenge or can this be delayed a bit?
    since there is no one posting nothing at all on the first challenge..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't mind extending the deadline. I'll knock it back to the 28th, as I'll be leaving the country until the 26th.

I'm glad you're interested in participating.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Senira For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

so far...

got a few ones after some investigation... the 40's are not really my style, but i admire them. And again America is not one country that i know, at all.

so, i could use some advice about context, or something else u like to say anyway...

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by aline; September 12th, 2010 at 01:07 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The type treatment strikes me as sporting more than academic. I'd suggest playing around with fonts that aren't quite as bold and textured.

Otherwise, I like the direction you're heading with the last two logos. I think the spikes coming out of the circles feel a bit tacked on, as do the diagonals running through the circle itself. Definitely explore different approaches and see what you end up with.

As far as context goes, think of the society as a prestigious library, since that's basically what it is. Its membership tends towards scholars, doctors, and various members of the academic elite, but it's also open to anyone who displays a great deal of literary talent. Basically, think of ideas that would appeal to intellectuals.

--

Here's my start. Not the most original ideas perhaps, though I'm quite fond of the nib/clock hand combination.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Name:  midnightsoc.jpg
Views: 340
Size:  85.4 KB

Here's an idea. Simple, i know...

Might get to the other collateral if I have time.

Aline: It doesn't have to take place in the 40's that's just when it was established. I would definitely toss out the carnival type option. The Art Deco type might work, but it needs to be paired with the right logo. Try really coalescing your ideas together as it seems like you've got separate elements going on at the same time.

Senira: I like the nib/clock hand combo too. Maybe flesh it out a bit with more detail on the hand? Though I have to say, I've tried a fountain pen logo a few times, and they almost always end up too long to be practical logos... But good luck!

Last edited by prepsage; September 14th, 2010 at 03:50 AM.
    Please PM me if you'd like an individual crit.

idrawyouonthesubway
    huxleycreative

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.