Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,121 Times in 870 Posts

Favorite Guitarists?

We did this with drummers a while back. Who are your favorite guitarists?

Mine are (in no particular order):

Mikael Akerfeldt from Opeth, David Gilmour from Pink Floyd, Andrew Latimer from Camel, Eddie Hazel from Parliment/Funkadelic, Carlos Santana, Steve Hackett from Genesis, Devin Townsend, Jimi Hendrix, Robert Fripp from King Crimson, Frank Zappa, Tony Iommi from Sabbath, Steven Wilson from Porcupine Tree, John McLaughlin from Mahavishnu Orchestra and Miles Davis, Johnny Greenwood from Radiohead, Nick Drake, Steve Howe from Yes, Ritchie Blackmore from Deep Purple, Jimmy Page, Eric Clapton, Mick Ronson (David Bowie, Ian Hunter,) Matt Bellamy (Muse,) Leslie West (Mountain,) Brian May (Queen,) Guthrie Govan, Piotr Grudzinski (Riverside,) Giancarlo Erra (Nosound,) and Sam Beam (Iron & Wine,) Jeff Beck, Fredrik Thordendal from Meshuggah, Andy Powell and Ted Turner from Wishbone Ash, Isaiah Mitchell from Earthless, Omar Rodriguez, Toby Driver, Aaron Turner from Isis, Michael Hedges, Robin Trower, Paul Waggoner from Between the Buried and Me (who's by far my favorite shredder,) Al Di Meola, Chuck Schuldiner of Death, Paul Masvidal from Cynic, Brent Hinds from Mastodon, etc, etc, etc...

I'm sure I'm forgetting some huge ones...

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Heh, you just reminded me of some music hipsters I used to hang out with. When you'd ask them what their "favorite" of something was, they would give you this super long list that would include every possibility, popular or obscure, across all genres. I always thought it was strange that they valued vast trivial knowledge over taste. Looking back I think many of them were just afraid of being called out for having an "un-cool" personal opinion.

Ah....memories. But anyway....I second Brian May (Queen.) I really dig Jack White (White Stripes) and Tom Morello (Rage Against the Machine.)
    ...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    What the fuck??? Are you saying I don't have taste and simply chose those guitarists because they come from different genres or something??? Most of those guitarists (like 80%) are from prog bands anyway. I don't know any hipsters who like prog...

And most of these guitarists are stylistically similar. And really are NOT obscure! And shit, I listed the bands! A hipster would never do that! They would have just listed names and had you be awestruck at the fact that they knew these names, probably without knowing anything about the musicians or the bands they're attached to.

If I was a fucking hipster then I would have chosen someone from MGMT or Vampire Weekend or something like that. The ONLY person on this list that MIGHT be on a hipster's is Sam Beam! I am NOT a fucking a hipster!

Music is my life. All of my energy, time, and money goes into music. I "worked hard" for that "knowledge." I AM NOT A FUCKING HIPSTER!!!

Thanks
    Whoa, heh, sorry. I didn't mean to imply you were tasteless or a hipster (god forbid.) Your post just reminded me of a personal experience and i felt like sharing. No offense intended.

Peace.

Also this made me laugh. True indeed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacob Kobryn View Post
    I listed the bands! A hipster would never do that! They would have just listed names and had you be awestruck at the fact that they knew these names, probably without knowing anything about the musicians or the bands they're attached to.
    [/U][/B]
    ...my humble and uneducated opinion.

-Nate

Thanks
    You got my three faves already Jake.

In order:
    Omar Alfredo Rodriquez-Lopez
    David Gilmour
    Frank Zappa

Ironically, the guitar isn't Rodriquez' favourite instrument; the piano is. Also, if you ever watch TMV's Electric Ballroom show, you'll see Flea pull of one of the most mind-blowing bass solo I've ever seen. If I remember correctly he does it mid-way through "Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt."

Additionally, Spencer Krug and the gang from Sunset Rubdown (rather than Wolf Parade ) gets a nod for being bold and confident if not quite as technically gifted. Mind you, the same courtesy could be extended to Jeff Mangum of Neutral Milk Hotel.
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    That's a lot of guitarists!

My favorites are probably

Brian May (Queen), Gary Moore (Think Lizzy), Hideto Matsumoto (Saver Tiger, X Japan), Akira Takasaki (Loudness), Kai Hansen (Helloween, Gamma Ray), Scott Ian (Anthrax, Pearl), Kyle Gass (Tenacious D)
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

Thanks
    Some more that I forgot:

Jeff Buckley, Ian Anderson and Martin Barre (Jethro Tull,) Mark Kozelek (Red House Painters/Sun Kil Moon,) John Haughm and Don Anderson (Agalloch,) Anders "Blakkheim" Nyström (Katatonia/Diabolical Masquerade/Bloodbath,) Neige (Alcest, Les Discrets, etc,) David Eugene Edwards (16 Horsepower/Woven Hand,) Lou Reed (The Velvet Underground,) Justin Broadrick (Godflesh/Jesu,) Jeff Loomis (Nevermore,) Ihsahn (Emperor,) Tom G Warrior (Celtic Frost/Triptykon,) Trey Azagthoth (Morbid Angel,) Arve Isdal (Enslaved,) Greg Chandler (Esoteric,) Vindisval (Blut aus Nord,) etc...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Brendan N View Post
    You got my three faves already Jake.

In order:
    Omar Alfredo Rodriquez-Lopez
    David Gilmour
    Frank Zappa

Ironically, the guitar isn't Rodriquez' favourite instrument; the piano is. Also, if you ever watch TMV's Electric Ballroom show, you'll see Flea pull of one of the most mind-blowing bass solo I've ever seen. If I remember correctly he does it mid-way through "Take the Veil Cerpin Taxt."
    That wasn't Flea, I don't think he ever played live with them, that was Juan Alderete.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    You got most of my favourites.

-Iommi
    -Gilmour
    -Hendrix
    -Hazell

You missed ..

Rocky George
    Gary Moore
    Slash
    Kirk Hammett
    Jerry Cantrell

If I was feeling controversial I might suggest PJ Harvey, Ritchie Sambora and Jack White.

Thanks

Thanks
    That wasn't Flea, I don't think he ever played live with them, that was Juan Alderete.
    You know what - a while back I had an argument with a friend of mine in which I claimed that was Alderete and he claimed it was Flea. It takes a special kind of stupid to be convinced you're wrong when you're not . Yeah - that guy!

Cheers to the Ian Anderson nod - Jethro (along with King Krimson) are the oldest bands I listen to on a regular basis;
    Brendan Noeth

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Zakk Wylde is pretty cool:

Some John 5:

And... That's kind of the extent of my limited knowledge.

There's Jimi Hendrix but his name immediately pops up whenever guitars are mentioned and it's just kind of common knowledge. Like, there's almost no point in mentioning his name because everyone would.

This is a nice video though:

Thanks
    Not into music as heavily as some of you guys but no one mention Adam Jones from Tool.
    He's riffs always stuck out from most of other guitarist out there imo.

though they've been mentioned already I love me some Jeff Beck, hendrix, and jimmy page

Thanks
    My favourites would have to be:

David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)

Mark Knopfler (Dire Straits)

and Stuart Adamson (Big Country)

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Zapp! For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    John 5:
    No offense but this was shit...

Gilmour is probably my all time favorite, with Akerfeldt second. I'll post some incredible solos.

And skip to 4:37 here:

This is THE GOD of all solos:

Let that guitar weep:

Latimer is a god!

Skip to 1:55 here:

Anyway, you can probably tell my taste in guitar work from those solos. Slow, deep, and emotional.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,272 Times in 737 Posts
    Whether lead or rhythm these guys/gals always end up on my gramophone player! Angus Young, Michael Cashmore – Nature and Organisation/Current 93, Lemmy (OK bass, but he plays it like a lead guitar), Joan Jett, Randy Rhoads, Cosi Fanni Tutti, Buck Dharma, Bill Nelson, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Tracey Chapman, Pete Townshend, Poison Ivy – The Cramps, Neil Young, Jeff Beck, Eric Clapton, Geordie Walker from Killing Joke, PJHarvey, Bernard Sumner from New Order, Daniel Ash - Bauhaus, Lita Ford, Lou Reed/Sterling Morrison, George Harrison, Mick Jones /Joe Strummer and Joni Mitchell!

19. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aly Fell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    These guys are better than basically every guitarist mentioned here so far...

21. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Aly, I'd forgotten about Neil Young - Master of the One Note Solo!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTTsyk-pyd8
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Obfci...eature=related

And Randy Rhoads.
    Last edited by Flake; August 26th, 2010 at 08:25 AM.

Thanks
    Randy Rhoads, all the way. I want to find a magic doorway that will periodically allow me to visit the parallel universe in which he didn't die.

David Gilmour of Pink Floyd is probably my second favorite guitarist. I love how much expression he puts into his notes and solo melodies.

Recently I've been listening to some Jason Becker. He's one of those neoclassical virtuoso types that cropped up during the eighties, but I find his music and compositions to be more interesting than most of what I've heard of that genre. Sample below. I have the album "Attack!" my Yngwie Malmsteen, and enjoy it, but from my experience if you've heard one of his albums you've heard them all.

I also heartily enjoy some Joe Satriani, Mark Knopfler, Robert Fripp, Ritchie Blackmore, Toni Iommi, Hendrix (of course), Brian May, Rodrigo y Gabriela, K.K. Downing and Glenn Tipton of Judas Priest, Eric Clapton (Layla and his Cream stuff, at least), Jimmy Page, and some others. My musical tastes are totally middle of the road, so I look forward to browsing what others have posted in hopes of finding some new artists to enjoy.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Moai View Post
    Randy Rhoads, all the way.
    Recently I've been listening to some Jason Becker.
    Meeeeeeehhhhhhhhh at Randy Rhoads. Meh at Solo-Ozzy period. Becker is pretty good. Generally I just don't like that kind of (80's) shredder guitarist at all. In order for me to like a shredder, they have to be very unique, very versatile, very MUSICAL, and/or very emotional in there playing. Those are things that normally are lacking. One note played by Gilmour >>>>>>>>>>> every solo that Van Halen has ever played.

I'd like to add Wata and Michio Kurihara from Boris to this list.

Thanks
    Even though I play guitar myself, listen to guitar-heavy music, and pay most attention to the guitars when listening to a song, I really don't like the way guitars sound. Hah. Anyone know of any guitarists that tend to not sound like guitarists? If that even makes any sense? I hate solos and any kind of flashy playing, and anything that calls itself prog or avant-garde or neoclassical just sounds like pretentious wanky horseshit to me. And being difficult to play does not impress me at all. So that rules out a lot of the standard favorites.

If I had to pick a favorite guitarist I would probably pick Varg Vikernes. As silly as that may sound. Judging from his ridiculous keyboard albums he really has no musical education, and some of his metal songs are pretty meat-headed. But dammit sometimes something magical happens with his guitar playing. It sounds like more than a guitar, it becomes something else. A lot of it is probably due to the production and the tremolo picking but he also seems to approach the guitar a little differently. From the wandering arpeggio section in 'Key to the Gate' to the repetitive trance inducing 'Jesu Dod', to some of the sounds he gets in his new album. Its just... not guitarry... more just washes of sound. not noodly. Epic and pretentious in an understated, monotone way.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Burhtun View Post
    Even though I play guitar myself, listen to guitar-heavy music, and pay most attention to the guitars when listening to a song, I really don't like the way guitars sound. Hah. Anyone know of any guitarists that tend to not sound like guitarists? If that even makes any sense? I hate solos and any kind of flashy playing, and anything that calls itself prog or avant-garde or neoclassical just sounds like pretentious wanky horseshit to me. And being difficult to play does not impress me at all. So that rules out a lot of the standard favorites.
    Pick most of the guitarists I listed, including all of the guys I posted vids for.

Also, check out Michael Hedges:

27. The Following User Says Thank You to OldJake666 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 293 Posts

Thanks
    Thanked 1,471 Times in 723 Posts
    I don't have a long standing favorite but lately I've been listening to a lot of James Blackshaw. He makes it look way too easy.

30. The Following User Says Thank You to Ian Barker For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,330 Times in 271 Posts
    Too many to list but off the top of my head: Paco De Lucia, Tomatito, Al Dimeola, Tommy Emmanuel, Django Reinhardt, Jimmy Rosenberg, Stochelo Rosenberg, John Jorgenson, Sylvain Luc, Wes Montgomery, Emily Remler, Ana Vidovic, Grisha Goryachev, Kazuhito Yamashita, Stevie Vai, Jimi Hendrix, Victor Wooten, Mark King, Buddy Guy, Stevie Ray Vaughan.

Last edited by Rusty; August 30th, 2010 at 03:58 AM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Rusty View Post
    DAT IZ BASS GEETARZ! WE NO TALK BASS GEETARZ! D:<

Save him for another thread that I'll eventually make...

Thanks
    I'll just leave this here...

Favorite Guitarists?
    On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

Thanks
    Pick most of the guitarists I listed, including all of the guys I posted vids for.

Also, check out Michael Hedges:

I'd love to have that tune on a continuos loop. I just find it so relaxing to listen to.

Edit - Also Auslander, who is the guitarist in that pic you posted? I'm sure I should know who it is and I'll probably be kicking myself when I find out, but right now my minds gone blank and its annoying the hell out of me.
    Last edited by Zapp!; August 31st, 2010 at 06:25 PM.

Thanks
    ^
    Buckethead

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Zapp! View Post
    Edit - Also Auslander, who is the guitarist in that pic you posted? I'm sure I should know who it is and I'll probably be kicking myself when I find out, but right now my minds gone blank and its annoying the hell out of me.
    What Flake said. The man in action:

On the whole, human beings want to be good, but not too good, and not quite all the time.
    - George Orwell

By all means let's be open-minded, but not so open-minded that our brains drop out.
    - Richard Dawkins

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast