Sketchbook: RoisterDoister's Sketchbook (Very Amateur)

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

RoisterDoister's Sketchbook (Very Amateur)

Hello! I'm a long-time lurker first-time poster, and painfully aware of what my art is lacking.

I namely need help with anatomy, especially hands, feet, profile views and anything else you can see wrong!

The last couple of things I've sketched have been in a cartoony style but my art varies depending on mood, so I'll post some more realistic art soon.

It is very very sketchy so I'm aware the lineart is rough and shading nonexistant, but advice on anything else is appreciated.

Attached Images Attached Images      
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I quite like those sketches, very cheery. I actually like the hands you've drawn on the mermaid in both posts(better than how I draw hands), but assigning yourself to do the odd page of drawing your own hand in various positions never does any harm, same with feet. xD

And on anatomy, who doesn't love Loomis?
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/255814/And...Figure-Drawing
    http://www.scribd.com/doc/501782/And...Head-and-Hands
    I have these bookmarked myself, I keep forgetting to read them properly but they're chock full of awesome.
    Can't wait to see more!

Take a look? - Sketchbook - Tumblr - Etsy
    Also, why not check these guys too?

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So I have taken Niady's advice and dedicated myself to drawing a few pages of hands and feet every now and again.

The problem I have with hands is all in the fingers, especially fore-shortening to make them look closer, it always makes them look wonky. :/ Help please.

Advice on shading to fit the mood of a picture would also be especially welcome. For example having darker shading to match a sad tone and so on.

Of course anything else you notice wrong, please point out to me!

Last edited by RoisterDoister; August 27th, 2010 at 10:43 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ah, always good to see more of your stuff!
    I really like this last batch, 'specially the faces and shading you've done.
    I'm sure I've read the odd thing about shading, all I know really is that if you shade them so that the light seems unnaturally i.e the source of light is below- then they tend to make things seem scary, if it's from the sides it's more natural and maybe it's dramatic looking if from directly above?
    Oh! and how strong the contrast in light and dark is also a factor, just experiment.

I'll have a look about if I can find the link to this interesting shading thing I was given a while back.

as for the fingers?
    Hnngh, I have the same problems, just keep at it. Foreshortening is a beast to master. xD

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you so much for the link! That's really useful, I'll make use of some of the ideas next time I draw certainly, especially having the light source below the face, that looks like a challenge.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like your cartoony style, and it looks like you've got a good foundation to work on handswise. Hands are fiddly things to draw. Show me someone who enjoys drawing hands and I'll show you a masochist.

As to mood/atmoshperics: Lighting wise, go to your film collection/ rent some dvds and pay attention to how scenes are lit. Black & White movies tend to be real good for this - Lighting and value where, pretty much, the only way they could seperate objects on screen or convey mood.

Also maybe a search for "mark-making", quick strokes for energy/movement, line weight that sort of thing. That kinda thing effects the mood of a piece as well.

Bring out your crits, asspats, and assorted comments
    I got me a sketchbook...
    Slow, yet hopefully steady, improvement. This way

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Sceptical Saint For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, thanks for stoping by my sketchbook..., I'm digging your style..., specially on your last face study, it's pretty hard to get good expressions, and you managed to do so very well.
    I'd love to see more gestures from you though....MOAR I SAY! ^.^

My sketchbook - help me get better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really like the faces, very expressive : )
    Depends what you're going for with the style, but I could suggest seperating the hair into more numerous strands and looking at how it lies naturally

14. The Following User Says Thank You to r-uoi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you Naidy for the links to the shading references- I used one to do a few sketches studying how shadows fall when the light's underneath a face and will be doing more soon.

The Sceptical Saint:
    Thanks for the advice! I've looked into mark-making since you suggested it and used a teeny tiny bit on the scarf in the pic below, but am definitely going to try using it more when drawing with thick pen.

Fernandoart: Thanks! I'll try my best.

R-uoi: Thanks for the advice, I've started doing that in a half finished sketch I drew after these, hopefully it'll go well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the two faces at the top of your post and the marker man. xD

Good shading studies, I'd love you try to copy a dramatically shaded photo too, just so you can have a better idea of the form and how the light will fall upon a face.
    Anime is sometimes hard to do this with so it's always good to do a bit of realism now'er then.
    Deviant art is FULL of arty(and somtimes hilariously bad) photos, have a looksie some time, you might come across some brilliant refferences.
    Anyways, you're doing great and glad you've posted another full bodied pic too.

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Naidy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Naidy: Thanks for the advice! I used a photo reference for this pic, and it did help, but still came off a little anime-ish. Dx I'll have to work on that.

Picture of Araidne, the architect from Inception, falling through dreamspace. Or at least it's meant to be. My Photoshop hasn't worked for the past month and a half, so when I tried to open this in it today I was astounded that it actually worked, but then I was aghast to find that I'd lost my tablet, so all editing was done with a laptop touch-pad. :/ I can colour better than this I swear, I was just so excited to be able to use Photoshop again.

On a side note, her arms and her hair look odd to me, any help please?

Refs Used: Face, Clothes, shadows

Last edited by RoisterDoister; August 30th, 2010 at 12:54 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great pose, It's nice to see you trying out advice so quickly!

- and anime is incredibly hard to break out of since it gives us like a premade "template" for faces. If you practice enough you'll be able to break out of it.
    Focus less on the individual features and more how the face pops out and sinks in. (Times like this made me wish my vocabulary was more sophisticated) but I can see a change in the quality in picture already. The body is very good too!

Anyways, I'm really liking your progress and hope you'll keep on posting more

Krysjez - Clur
    Cheers

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mm agree with what Naidy said. I'm still stuck with anime too. It seems to be plaguing nearly everyone our age. Araidne's head seems to be just a little too big, and I see what you mean about the arms (left arm especially) but I'm not good enough to be able to help you yet.

Read everything in James Gurney's blog. It will inspire you, if nothing else.

Sketchbook

NaidyBlack SpotEyestrainVK

“This is [...] where the anvils are made of graphite, the hammers are as true as rectangular marquee selections and the fires burn with the light of a thousand lensflares.” --Jason Rainville

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great sketches! I really like the last one. Although the sketches are great, I think you should also fine tune your line control. The fist drawings, mainly, they look somewhat wooden with how you drew it. The forms are good though. The linework in the last one is awesome.

What makes the last one a little is that her head doesn't look like its in proportion with the rest of the body. A little too big perhaps?

Don't bother looking at my sketchbook. I haven't updated that thing in years. :/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there nice start i love the manga faces!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you've got a great start. You've got a good sense of proportion, and an eye for details.
    I think strait up anatomy studies would be your best bet to get to the next level.
    I did some doodles I hope will help.
    1. Take some of your work and try to work out the anatomy of the pose. Your drawings show a good understanding of how cloths overlap the body- muscles over lap in the same way.
    2. Here you can see the bicep overlaps the lower arm. Little hints to how the muscles work will help add depth to your pictures and help a tonne with foreshortening
    3. Try to break the hand down into simple parts. Practice the proportions of the hands and take a look at the anatomy.

Hope this helps

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.