Sketchbook: b-dawg's sketchbook - updated October 09! - Page 3

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sushy: Thank you very much! ^__^

Kaffeetrinken: thanks a lot! I'm 23 now but I started drawing seriously when I was 2 weeks before 22. I think the time which you spend on drawing is important, not your age... sorry for my English, hope you'll understand what I mean.

LordLouis: thanks a lot for your kind words! ^__^b
    and what about those boobs... yeah they look like they're made from gel or any other artificial substance -___- I'm not sure that I'll finish that work because I like how those boobs look now but I dunno what to do with them. maybe when I know anatomy better... or maybe I'll make her an android girl made of plastic and gel, then her boobs won't look so artificial

--

I decided to draw everyday speedpaints at work which will help me to warm my hand up also it'll help to develop more because I don't have much time to draw at home so I'm going to make my working time more useful for me as an artist.
    here's the first attempt to paint a landscape from photo reference, took 20 minutes.

Attached Images Attached Images  
    deviantart accountsketchbook

★ may your pencil always be sharp except for when you need it blunt ★
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good Morning b-dawg!

Thanks for your answer! I think your statement is true

The time you spend is very important!

I am 20 now an have started to (intensively) draw with 19. Before i was on a Design school, but had to learn maths mostly becouse of my bad marks there -.-

Hope I will see more of your inspiring stuff, so i can get an artist too (in thousands of years^^)

Good day, Kaffeetrinken from Bavaria

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaffeetrinken View Post
    Good Morning b-dawg!

Thanks for your answer! I think your statement is true

The time you spend is very important!

I am 20 now an have started to (intensively) draw with 19. Before i was on a Design school, but had to learn maths mostly becouse of my bad marks there -.-

Hope I will see more of your inspiring stuff, so i can get an artist too (in thousands of years^^)

Good day, Kaffeetrinken from Bavaria
    thanks a lot for your kind words, dude (or dudette )! I'm sure you'll become an artist much earlier than in a thousand of years especially if you work hard on it. good luck to you! I'm sure you can. and you will.

I haven't updated for a long time (as usual)... here're some new drawings from me:

this is a 20 min sketch I drew from imagination just for practice in environments:
    Name:  2011-04-06.jpg
Views: 2040
Size:  65.7 KB

here's a girl for the maim webpage of Arena Online:
    Name:  arena-girl.jpg
Views: 2115
Size:  252.2 KB

that's the 100% closeup of girl's face:
    Name:  test.jpg
Views: 2021
Size:  60.2 KB

this is a present I did for a girl on livejournal. the girl's username is "Kira_Meyer" and I drew how I understood it
    Name:  kira.png
Views: 2032
Size:  442.8 KB

here's a small location I did for a forthcoming game "Kvartaly" about USSR. the game'll be available to play on facebook and other such websites.
    Name:  location.jpg
Views: 2048
Size:  247.9 KB

here're some objects for the same game.
    Name:  objects.jpg
Views: 1906
Size:  177.5 KB

that's that one postapocalyptic guy from the previous page... I think I've completely ruined him
    Name:  pers.jpg
Views: 1858
Size:  107.0 KB

here's a pimp elf. i was just curious how he'll look like and tried to draw that. i'll try to finish that (i hope)
    Name:  pimp.jpg
Views: 1823
Size:  69.3 KB

here's a pin up witch which I'm planning to finish too.
    Name:  witch.jpg
Views: 2721
Size:  124.3 KB

here's witch's face close up
    Name:  witch-face.jpg
Views: 2072
Size:  152.8 KB

and this is just a photo of me, I have fake dreads now and I wanted to share it with you, guys
    Name:  me.jpg
Views: 1809
Size:  329.2 KB

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-dawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those characters are great especially the designs and your colors are really damn good..you should finish that witch keep up the good work!=)

My sketchbook.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=203100&page=7

Awesome artist and friends

Nkristian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by strangedawn View Post
    Those characters are great especially the designs and your colors are really damn good..you should finish that witch keep up the good work!=)
    thanks a lot! and of course I'm going to finish that witch I have nothing to do at work now, that's why I go on painting her.

a small update on the witch, yesterday-today:

b-dawg's sketchbook - updated October 09!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi again, guys. here's an update on my witch and also a small pic I did for work. I'll try to finish the witch by Friday when it's my birthday

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to b-dawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Privet (ain't got no russian option on my comp here so i"ll write in English)

Really cool sketch book you've got here so far, you've got some good painting skills and some cool style, i actually like how it's influenced by manga/anime in some parts.
    My only suggestion would be that you make a bit more work on your anatomy, because in some paintings the proportions are a bit off.
    Anyways keep up with the great work and keep posting, you're doing great so far.

Alex.

Open for commissions......just PM me.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Fallenangel For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The witch painting is looking good man, but a few things I noticed that might help:

The floor is a bit plain/flat, maybe add in some rocks or something to rough it out a little.
    The clouds need tightening up (i assume your not done with them though)
    The back of her hair is forming a wierd tangent with the cloud behind it. It looks like they are merging.

Apart from that its looking aaace. Keep up the good work.

PHANDY // Andrew Porter
    Concept Artist // Splash Damage

ArtStation Blog Tumblr

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PHATandy For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,453 Times in 823 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Haven't been here since the albino painting (which I fucking love by the way) The subtle skarf works a treat. You really are something else, this SB is solid gold! And I looooooove gooooooold! Well actually I prefer silver... But hey... Great updates too. The witch is hot! Inspiring use of colour. Note to self must stop pussy footing around the pallette... Anyway was a pleasure to visit

15. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello guys! here's a final image of my witch. I decided to get rid of the background because of the perspective and the colors... and all the other stuff on it. maybe one day i'll make another picture of what i've got.

and here's a quick picture of a soviet car i did for work.
    Name:  car.jpg
Views: 1541
Size:  141.7 KB

---

Fallenangel

Really cool sketch book you've got here so far, you've got some good painting skills and some cool style, i actually like how it's influenced by manga/anime in some parts.
    My only suggestion would be that you make a bit more work on your anatomy, because in some paintings the proportions are a bit off.
    Anyways keep up with the great work and keep posting, you're doing great so far.
    Hi Alex! Thanks a lot for your feedback - yeah you're right, I have some problems with proportions... especially with the head size -___- and legs' length - but I'm working on it. Hope I'll get rid of this problem soon!

PHATandy

The witch painting is looking good man, but a few things I noticed that might help:

The floor is a bit plain/flat, maybe add in some rocks or something to rough it out a little.
    The clouds need tightening up (i assume your not done with them though)
    The back of her hair is forming a wierd tangent with the cloud behind it. It looks like they are merging.

Apart from that its looking aaace. Keep up the good work.
    Yeah man you're right. I can't draw clouds at all D: and I didn't ever think that it'd be that difficult. At l;east I understood that the prspective is a lot off and I didn't want to do anything with it so I cut off the rest of the pic and changed the hair of course because straight hair killed her pin up look in my opinion. You can see the result above.
    Thanks a lot for your comment, I don't get much constructive crits so I'm very pleased with every post I receive!

GEB

Haven't been here since the albino painting (which I fucking love by the way) The subtle skarf works a treat. You really are something else, this SB is solid gold! And I looooooove gooooooold! Well actually I prefer silver... But hey... Great updates too. The witch is hot! Inspiring use of colour. Note to self must stop pussy footing around the pallette... Anyway was a pleasure to visit
    hey man, thanks a lot for your kind words! i prefer silver too and I'll keep posting of course, I'll just finish playing God of War 3... and I'll start drawing for myself at home again

17. The Following User Says Thank You to b-dawg For This Useful Post:

asa

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi there!

Wow, a lot of work goes into your stuff, that's for sure! Really impressive technically.

I adore your witch painting - really cute and a good decision with the background! I would recommend looking at Elvgren's stuff for more background ideas, i.e. that balance between nothing and too much, etc. Not for this painting, but just in general.

Keep working hard!
    Best wishes,

Ana

Get naked, eat sushi!

CA.org sketchbook
    Twitter

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your work is stunning and so are you, can't wait to see more!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think you made the right choice with the witch the BG was too much of a distraction before. The hair shape is much more interesting and the little details work an absolute treat! But I think the crow on the left looks like he's missing a bit of love compared with the one on the right. Also the back of the broom seems to be in the wrong perspective, as it looks like the front of the broom and the witch is angled toward us. While the back looks more angled away. Her right foot looks a bit too thick to me too. But like I said a beautiful image. Love your colours!

21. The Following User Says Thank You to GEB For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That witch is awesome i just dont like the feet but the rendering on the face i love it,GEB is also right in his some of his crits but still it is beautiful image for me.tc=))

My sketchbook.

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...=203100&page=7

Awesome artist and friends

Nkristian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jansi View Post
    Hi there!

Wow, a lot of work goes into your stuff, that's for sure! Really impressive technically.

I adore your witch painting - really cute and a good decision with the background! I would recommend looking at Elvgren's stuff for more background ideas, i.e. that balance between nothing and too much, etc. Not for this painting, but just in general.

Keep working hard!
    Best wishes,

Ana
    thank you very much, Ana!
    I have some problems with composition, like I often draw the figure separately from the background and then I break my head... what to draw on the background but I'm working on it

Quote Originally Posted by RaynaCendre View Post
    Your work is stunning and so are you, can't wait to see more!
    thank you very much! ^__^ I feel very inspired now that's why I'll upload more and more... and more...

Quote Originally Posted by GEB View Post
    Think you made the right choice with the witch the BG was too much of a distraction before. The hair shape is much more interesting and the little details work an absolute treat! But I think the crow on the left looks like he's missing a bit of love compared with the one on the right. Also the back of the broom seems to be in the wrong perspective, as it looks like the front of the broom and the witch is angled toward us. While the back looks more angled away. Her right foot looks a bit too thick to me too. But like I said a beautiful image. Love your colours!

dear GEB, thank you very much for such a detailed comment and constructive critics! I think I'll come back to this image a bit later when I rest enough from it and I'm going to improve it because I think there's not enough details and some things like feet are quite strange... thanks a lot for showing me the direction of improvement!

Quote Originally Posted by strangedawn View Post
    That witch is awesome i just dont like the feet but the rendering on the face i love it,GEB is also right in his some of his crits but still it is beautiful image for me.tc=))
    thank you very much! I don't like the feet also but I'm so stiff with them D: I'm going to study anatomy and stuff and then come back to this image and improve it a bit

--------------------------------

last week I did a huge amount of pencil sketches from anatomy books, I scanned them but today I forgot to take my flash disc D: so I'll show them in a couple of days.

so here're my latest digital works.

this is my selfportrait I did from a mirror... 1 hour or so
    it was all about the strange lightning in my room

here is some stuff from work

a small upgrade on elf-pimp

and this is a sketch I did for my friend's birthday:

i promised to finish this drawing to my friend - and I'm going on working on it, at the moment it looks like this:

I'm going to make him more demonish and erase those roses, they're so vulgar... eeeew

ok guys! enough for today hope I'll post my pencil stuff in a couple of days.
    I'm very inspired at the moment and I want to draw more, especially studies, so I come home from work and continue drawing. And I can see results even after a week of such activity! This inspires more and more. Now I have a goal - how I want to upgrade my drawing skill by New Year. I'll go on working more and more and I think I have all the chances

also I'm going to Italy (I hope so...) in the end of summer and I'm sure it'll bring me a lot of inspiration. I'm going to draw like mad all that architecture and stuff

24. The Following User Says Thank You to b-dawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as I promised some sketches I did from observation and imagination.

26. The Following User Says Thank You to b-dawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    here's an elf gurl i'm drawing for one guy's birthday.

28. The Following User Says Thank You to b-dawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your sketchbook is really great. You're really pushing your skills. Keep at it. After seeing your stuff, shall practice as well today. Thanks for the inspiration.

"It's not about perfection, it's about improvement."

My sketch dump

Tumblr

30. The Following User Says Thank You to zeichenwut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by zeichenwut View Post
    Your sketchbook is really great. You're really pushing your skills. Keep at it. After seeing your stuff, shall practice as well today. Thanks for the inspiration.
    wow, thank you very much for these words! I'm very pleased to know that somebody is inspired by my work. It's the right decision - to practice don't forget to share

---

some stuff I drew today:

something like self-portrait
    i have some problems with eyes because I definitely need to sleep more.

sketch of Cristiano Ronaldo:

and that elf girl finished:

and here're some sketches from July 13. from imagination and Bridgman's book

32. The Following User Says Thank You to b-dawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey loving the updates, the elf girl is gorgeous! Only crit is the ears look different sizes. Don't hate me! As to your question, yeah I always do a value study but you're right about the colours getting dirty. Still trying to refine my work process, think I need to move to colour earlier sometimes. But then I always have a paint layer to touch up details and add new colours. Think I need to finish more stuff too, get bore too easy. It's a tough life hey

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So far, I'm enjoying what I have seen, but I would like for you to try some perspective studies.

The Louisianian Sketchbook You can Comment and Criticize if you want.
    My Newgrounds Profile Warning: Politically Incorrect thoughts, view at your own risk.
    My Facebook Site I stopped using it years ago.
    Louisianian artists thread If you're from or live in Louisiana, don't hesitate to post here.
    My Profile Nothing else needs to be said.
    Trillian: Zenithian Oh, and I am also a GNASH supporter/promoter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by GEB View Post
    Hey loving the updates, the elf girl is gorgeous! Only crit is the ears look different sizes. Don't hate me! As to your question, yeah I always do a value study but you're right about the colours getting dirty. Still trying to refine my work process, think I need to move to colour earlier sometimes. But then I always have a paint layer to touch up details and add new colours. Think I need to finish more stuff too, get bore too easy. It's a tough life hey
    thanks a lot! I think I agree with you about the ears. the other stuff I'll post on your thread

Quote Originally Posted by FightingSeraph View Post
    So far, I'm enjoying what I have seen, but I would like for you to try some perspective studies.
    thank you! I'm going to do some perspective studies next week when I finish watching those anatomy & stuff movies I've downloaded recently.

---

some sketches from today (was drawing in subway...) and yesterday, just random ugly faces:

and my personal favourite, Mr. P.I.M.P. a bit closer

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the crit! I see just what you mean, it was just meant to be a speedy to start with but I just kept coming back to it. I guess it's a good exercise to work on all my weak points, but it does feel like I'm forcing the issue now. On a plus note I think I've learnt a fair deal from the process. Oh to answer your question I use overlay mostly but not entirely happy with my work methode yet

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love your line, and your way of colouring the only thing I have to say is about this image, The Key. Maybe some more cast shadow under the eye patch to make it look a little more a part of the drawing? Other than that I love the detail in it Keep up the awesome work!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx for stopping by at my SB!
    You've got so great skills, it's unbelievable how you managed this on your own! I like every your painting )
    Can I ask how you did those so nice looking black lines on subjects from game? I always get a little frustrated when I have to do such technical stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vinter
    Love your line, and your way of colouring the only thing I have to say is about this image, The Key. Maybe some more cast shadow under the eye patch to make it look a little more a part of the drawing? Other than that I love the detail in it Keep up the awesome work!
    thanks a lot! i've lost the .psd file of this because my computer crashed and I didn't have any backup but i'll use ur advise in my other drawings with eyepatches, I like them and I'll use them more and more in my other paintings

in2eternity
    Thanx for stopping by at my SB!
    You've got so great skills, it's unbelievable how you managed this on your own! I like every your painting )
    Can I ask how you did those so nice looking black lines on subjects from game? I always get a little frustrated when I have to do such technical stuff.
    thank you very much! yes I'm completely self-taught but I hope that in autumn I'll find a teacher here in Moscow who'll help me to develop my work with form.

and what about stuff for the game - I used Paint Tool SAI for it. у меня версия с "дополнительными инструментами" с рутрекера
    i used this brush for it:
    and to make a clean lineart I just kept shift pressed and put dots... can you understand me? i can't explain this even in russian. i did very tiny straight lines with this brush using shift that's why that lineart looks good. but as you can see i was not very accurate with it

Name:  SAI.jpg
Views: 1243
Size:  99.5 KB

---
    some more new stuff.
    I did a "copy" of Bouguereau "The Wave" to study color. I didn't use color picker for it so I'm quite happy with the result the head is intended to be bigger than original one because I just have problems with small heads... I can't stand them >_<

Name:  bouguereau.jpg
Views: 1611
Size:  462.0 KB

this is some radom guy who looks very bored. i drew him when i had nothing to do at work and was very bored too...

Name:  guy.jpg
Views: 1444
Size:  169.6 KB

and this is just that one mr. P.I.M.P. from my previous post, I spent smth like 15 minutes to give him some color...

Name:  nigga.jpg
Views: 1512
Size:  130.5 KB

also I found M.Hampton's book and now I'm studying it. It really helps a lot with understanding form and muscles, thanks a lot to in2eternity for announcing it

40. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-dawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanx for answering about lines, I should try Paint Tool SAI)
    I like a lot your last update, especially hands on the first picture, they are so... gentle

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Love the flesh tones in that study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    in2eternity : thanks a lot!
    SAI is a great program especially for those ppl who like traditional-looking blending of colors but don't like Corel Painter

GEB: thank you!

---

again I forgot about my SB... now I'll try to catch it up.
    Now I'm visiting an art class. It makes me hope that now my progress will go quicker.

Some of my recent stuff:
    portrait of Bayonetta which I drew as a present to my friend in August
    Name:  2011-08-08-bayonetta.jpg
Views: 1219
Size:  352.2 KB

some concept stuff - pimp elf, Mord Sith (from T.Goodkind's book), random postapocalyptic guy

Name:  092a60fa4b18e5e2feba6fee0a2f15f9.jpg
Views: 1184
Size:  135.7 KB

a self portrait which I painted when I was drunk one day... 3 bottles of beer so please don't be strict to me
    Name:  id_2011_by_kelso_san-d4c5py3.jpg
Views: 1075
Size:  174.2 KB

an illustration for Russian CCG "Berserk" competition

also an environment in "Makoto Shinkai's style" which I'm going to finish in a couple of days. I know about the windows I just haven't fixed it yet but I'll do it.
    Name:  house.jpg
Views: 1117
Size:  465.6 KB

and a tired chibi me
    Name:  ustal.jpg
Views: 1088
Size:  261.6 KB

44. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to b-dawg For This Useful Post:

Thanks