Concept artist in Australia, Melbourne?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Concept artist in Australia, Melbourne?

Hi,

I'm only 16 years old and about to enter year 11 and year 12. I was rushed into thinking of what my career will be in the future. Eventually I was led to the career of a concept artist, after receiving suggestions on another forum and based on my interests. Even though I discovered, getting employed is very difficult as a concept artist, I want to still aim towards it. I am living in Australia, Melbourne and I'm wondering if it is employable here as a concept artist? For example, are there companies in Australia, Melbourne that will employ concept artist.

Thank you

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm sure there's plenty of companies in australia that need concept artists. snoop around your favorite game companys' websites and see where their headquarters are located; usually there are several locations. Also keep an eye on the employment section of the forums here at conceptart.org as there are many different companies from all over the world who post jobs. And unless you're absolutely nuts about Australia and adverse to living anywhere but, there's always the possibility of moving to a career.
    I wouldn't really worry about establishing a set career and where while you're only 16. Just work on building up your artist skills and a nice portfolio so when the time comes and you're really ready to find a job, more options will be available. :-)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Parcel-Sisters View Post
    I'm sure there's plenty of companies in australia that need concept artists. snoop around your favorite game companys' websites and see where their headquarters are located; usually there are several locations. Also keep an eye on the employment section of the forums here at conceptart.org as there are many different companies from all over the world who post jobs. And unless you're absolutely nuts about Australia and adverse to living anywhere but, there's always the possibility of moving to a career.
    I wouldn't really worry about establishing a set career and where while you're only 16. Just work on building up your artist skills and a nice portfolio so when the time comes and you're really ready to find a job, more options will be available. :-)
    Thank you for replying! ^^
    Unfortunately I have one more question. Is it essential to be a hardcore gamer as a concept artist?
    Thank you again.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I definitely wouldn't think so, but having some experience as a gamer (if you're looking to be a gamer concept artists over a film concept artist) wouldn't hurt. It's like you don't have to be super rich to be a good finance consultant, but if you're dirt poor you seem a little less reliable. I'm sure where you apply counts too, and will probably expect you to be a little familiar with their products. Then again if you're just an outstanding artist, it might not even matter.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heya 4got10,

I'm in a similar situation where im keen on working as a concept artist. im just out of uni, and 21.

Becoming a concept artist is difficult, especially in Australia, but you're at an advantage for being in Melbourne (im in Adelaide )
    heres a site which lists game companies around the world including Aus

http://gamedevmap.com/index.php?tool...query=Adelaide

Like parcel says, forget about starting a career. Focus on your art and practice, practice PRACTICE!!!

some tips...

- Dont rush into digital. Forget digital. Practice pencil, pen, ink, water colour, oil painting etc. I made the mistake of rushing into digital 'cheat' techniques a few years back, and it set me back in my drawing rather than developing it.

- Be open minded - while you may want to be a concept artist, is it the idea of developing art for games which motivates you, or your passion for illustration? There are other areas like childrens illustration, comic books, novel covers etc which are also fun.

- dont limit your learning - draw for fun, but also study anatomy, perspective, paint/draw still life, work from reference, work from life

You're so lucky. 16 is a great age. Make the most of your time. While your mates are wasting hours away on facebook or getting drunk, you'll feel better knowing you're doing something productive

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by a_mckeown View Post
    Heya 4got10,

I'm in a similar situation where im keen on working as a concept artist. im just out of uni, and 21.

Becoming a concept artist is difficult, especially in Australia, but you're at an advantage for being in Melbourne (im in Adelaide )
    heres a site which lists game companies around the world including Aus

http://gamedevmap.com/index.php?tool...query=Adelaide

Like parcel says, forget about starting a career. Focus on your art and practice, practice PRACTICE!!!

some tips...

- Dont rush into digital. Forget digital. Practice pencil, pen, ink, water colour, oil painting etc. I made the mistake of rushing into digital 'cheat' techniques a few years back, and it set me back in my drawing rather than developing it.

- Be open minded - while you may want to be a concept artist, is it the idea of developing art for games which motivates you, or your passion for illustration? There are other areas like childrens illustration, comic books, novel covers etc which are also fun.

- dont limit your learning - draw for fun, but also study anatomy, perspective, paint/draw still life, work from reference, work from life

You're so lucky. 16 is a great age. Make the most of your time. While your mates are wasting hours away on facebook or getting drunk, you'll feel better knowing you're doing something productive
    Thanks for replying. I've found your response very useful and encouraging.

As much as I want to become a concept artist, I am scared of the possibility of not getting employed, since getting a job as a concept artist is very hard. Therefore, I've been thinking about taking a subject that is not related to art, so I can also rely on it as well. I've been thinking about doing accounting, but I'm still not sure if I will like it or not.

I wish you the best of luck and that you succeed at becoming a concept artist.

Last edited by 4got10; August 27th, 2010 at 06:15 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If you have your heart set on being a concept artist I think you should try to persue it, even if it does mean becoming an accountant while you wait for work. I had the same worry out of highschool, i couldnt find any decent art courses and had no idea how to become a full time artist so i decided to do an animation degree which involves quite alot of drawing anyways.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank you for everyones advice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

formal information request delta 9 hex

hey guys, I too am a young aspiring concept artist in melbourne and seeing how helpful people have been on this forum i was wondering if there are any organisations that i can sumbmit work to free of charge as to get my name foward, so if anybody knows of anybody that i might be able to get in touch with (preferably for a project that requires heavily gorey art) it would be much appreciated.

thanks -Josh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Seriously read BOOKS !! And practice traditional drawing.
    That video changed my vision, some of the best advice I had so far... except that I still play games when I get a chance...

http://youtu.be/dnflBERf2zM

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's like saying you want to be an actor. Obviously, some people do become actors (or concept artists) not everyone makes a living at it and not everyone lasts very and you have to work a lot for little pay until you get good enough to be a star, if you make it. It depends if you are ready to do all that or you'd rather become an accountant instead.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Qitsune For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 332 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by enigmotion View Post
    hey guys, I too am a young aspiring concept artist in melbourne and seeing how helpful people have been on this forum i was wondering if there are any organisations that i can sumbmit work to free of charge as to get my name foward, so if anybody knows of anybody that i might be able to get in touch with (preferably for a project that requires heavily gorey art) it would be much appreciated.

thanks -Josh
    http://conceptart.org/gallery/
    http://conceptart.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

15. The Following User Says Thank You to briggsy@ashtons For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 4