Thanks

Should I Report this to Insurance still?

(edited)
    Last edited by Phight; August 25th, 2010 at 05:02 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Depending on how much the repairs are you have two choices. Don't report it and pay out of pocket. report it and the insurance may hike your premiums. You should consult your policy about minor accidents. They may forgive if you have few or no other claims.

Thanks
    I wouldn't worry on it if you can pay it out of hand no problem.

It's not only good for you - it's good for the person you hit, too. The reason people are ok with not getting insurance companies involved, even if they KNOW they're not at fault, is because any accident on your record - your fault or not, can be a mark against you in the eyes of an insurance company.

Insurance companies can cut you off for too many accidents regardless of who caused them, if you're a "liability" and tend to get in accidents, they may not want you around or at least may not want to keep your prices nice and low.

Thanks
    (edited)
    Last edited by Phight; August 25th, 2010 at 05:02 AM.

Thanks
    Yeah, I wouldn't worry on it. I had a math teacher in high school who had something like 5 not-at-fault accidents over the span of a couple years, and her insurance company cut her off as a result. Even though she wasn't at fault for a single one of them, she was still costing them more money than they felt like paying.

Last year I got rear ended. My car was 23 years old and beat up as it was, I didn't have major damage, neither did he really. If I would've reported it though, they would've likely counted my repairs as the car being totaled due to it's age. I could've actually wound up profiting from it as a result, and I obviously wasn't going to be at fault for the accident...

But I didn't report it to my insurance company, and neither did he. I had gotten into an accident the year prior (which I also was not responsible for), and I didn't want another one on my record. Just not a good thing to have there.

I'm sure their repairs won't be too bad, if you can pay it yourself, just handle it yourself and don't worry on it.