Sketchbook: Scribble, Scratch, Repeat
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Hybrid View

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Scribble, Scratch, Repeat

Im Evan Wilson, Im 19 and I've just been fired from my job so due to my massive ammounts of free time Ive decided to go crazy and make art everyday. I would love some crit. and I would prefer everyone to be as brutal as possible (please rip me apart). It just inspires me more to do better

*EDIT*
    I went off into the dark corners of conceptart.org and havent posted in a while but fear not i have been (hard?) at work drawing and doodling
    Also I am forum retarded
    recent drawing

recent

old

old

recent
    http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4117/...e1b53475_z.jpg

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Sheep_Skin_Wolf; January 2nd, 2012 at 01:32 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man, thanks a load for dropping by my sketchbook. I'm always thrilled to hear when somebody is inspired by my work, it even looks like you tried out some of my psychedelic letter experiments out on that zombie page(with familiar zombies ), haha. Anyway, I like what you've got up so far, you're drawing both males and females, which is something i'm still scared to do! I also dig your ideas, you've got good plans, but they need some more basic foundation. Same can be said for your figures, they dont seem to have a strong underlying structure making them look very flat.

That being said i want to ask if you've done any in depth studies of if you're just going off of your imagination most of the times. If its the latter i want to show you Andrew Loomis' work, --> http://alexhays.com/loomis/ . These are the books that opened the floodgates for me, I can safely say i didn't know anything before i read these. If you save these books and read them and practice what they teach(don't just copy the image in the pages) i can guarantee you'll see progress fast. You just have to stick to it and absorb it like a sponge.

The big 3 i reccomend are 'Fun with a pencil' ' Drawing the head and hands' & 'Figure drawing for all it's worth. Start out with 'fun with a pencil' and work through it and then try out 'figure drawing for all it's worth'. Once you get a good foundation with those I can show you some more in depth anatomy books that will help out even more.

Looking good so far, i'll be back around to spy on your progress. Good luck!

3. The Following User Says Thank You to AustenFM For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ladies and gentlemen i give to you Antoine Dodson

for my female studies i usually pick a random girl from lookbook.nu it is actually very helpful

and here are two more studies ( i need some crit on there faces)

messing around with water colors

and a quick attempt to draw mr clint eastwood

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey man -

I'm liking your imagination and exploration of ideas in your drawings. And I can definitely see a nice style coming through, especially in the more cartoony drawings. I would highly suggest proportion studies, as it looks like your head is the biggest thing in the drawing, and then you make the rest of the bodies smaller and smaller as they go down.

As for the faces, I can't really say. They pictures is too small, so it seems like you're going for the 'the face isn't important' kind of style. Get bigger! Fill up the page! It'll also help with composition.

Looking forward to seeing more! Just keep drawing and that style I see will explode into something really neat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi! Thanks for stopping by.

I really like the sketches you've made. The skulls with colored strong edges look cool.

I'm sorry, but I'm really bad at ripping people. I can try though. :X The anatomy in many drawings is off. You might want to look for a reference with a person in the same posture. The latter faces look worse than the ones you posted first (are they older?) and look like they have been twisted with photoshop's perspective- tool, distorting the borders of the face as well as the facial features. The Clint Eastwood for example looks like he had the right side of his face lifted up a little and Antoine's chin appears to be in a different perspective than the rest of the face.

Hope this ripped you enough. Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo man... sorry to hear about you loosing your job. Are you sketching in one of those mad expensive, mad hipster Moleskine sketchbooks? If so, I'd recommend filling up every inch of space you have on each page with some drawing, because like I mentioned before those things are expensive and you'd be wasting money if you don't. Plus you said you were out of work... so there you go.
    But seriously, all joking aside, filling up a page is a great way to create some unique shit. Think of it this way, if you do 100 sketches on 100 different pages. Now imagine you do 100 sketches on 3 pages. The physical shape and size of the page will push your drawings in potentially interesting directions if you fill the page.
    Don't take my word for it, give it a try. See how the spaces on the page talk to you and influence your drawings.

And do be sure to check out my sketchbook if you have time!
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    update!!!!

thanks for the crit everyone ive also been studying on the books AustenFM has showed me although none of them are in this post.... but i am studying.....kinda

first pic of my friend anna second is of my friend devin and the other two pics are just some doodles

Thanks
    Thanked 1,542 Times in 1,033 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    CUZ THEY OUT RAPIN ERRBODY! Oh man, haha. Nice start to the SB man, keep up the studies. I'd recommend working on your line work though, hatchy lines show hesitance and confidence is key here. Throw those lines down with authority! I do like me some graffiti though, mmmmhmmm although I can't help but think that this piece looks like a rearranged scifen logo? Keep it up dude!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You have a lot of good things going on There's tons of ideas. I admire that the sketches have a playfulness to them.

And face crits you seem to have a hit and miss with those. The only angle that I see you have a problem on is when the head tilts slightly to the side.

Keep up the work and best regards and just keep drawing man.

I'm out to conquer the world equipped with a pencil, digital paint and a Sketchbook
    and when I do achieve that goal...I'll conquer the moon too

"When you draw nervously you end up with a nervous drawing, so drawing strongly produces lines filled with vitality"- Nightow Yasuhiro

"Use the ability you already have, and use it, and use it, and make it develop itself."-Robert Henri

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I am liking what you have so far. Hide yo kids hide ya wife is what really got me to check this out I'm ashamed to say but that was funny. Anyway I think that you show real ability, I like you graffiti style works in the beginning. I dont know where you are in your studies but it really helped me a lot to draw a lot of basic shapes like circles, cubes, cylinders, and all that. Working on having control from my eye to my pencil improved a lot from simple still life studies as well. Have fun and remember. theyr rapin errybuddy out hur

My Website I am available for work

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I havent posted in about 2 years so here is just some doodles and what not i have done. I have more to post, but i have to obtain my sketchbook from school when i get back from winter break. The oni wolverine is the most recent piece, everything else is in random order.

[IMG]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey amigo! Glad to see you posting again. Looks like you've made some major improvements in your time away from CA! Your linework is so solid and developed compared to before, fun stylization as well~ That oni wolverine is badass too. I look forward to another update once you get your sketchbook back!

14. The Following User Says Thank You to AustenFM For This Useful Post:

Lav is offline Student Animationfilm Level 9 Gladiator: Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cool sketchbook, can't wait to see more

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Lav For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lets see some new art amigo! I bet you've been up to some interesting work since January, have you been working on anatomy studies or figure drawings much lately?

Hope to see an update soon, keep it up!

Members who have read this thread: 1