Good tablet netbook for running Photoshop smoothly?

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Good tablet netbook for running Photoshop smoothly?

Hi guys, I'm trying to find a reliable tablet netbook (not notebook) for cheap, <700USD, and I have no idea where to start.

Most of the one's I've seen have specs that I could not imagine running photoshop on, like those atom processors? There's no way! And if the specs seemed decent, it would have another major flaw like low response time, crashing, general unreliability.

I know alienware has a netbook (that's not a tablet) with an i5/i7 option, are there any other netbooks (with the built in tablet) that have this, and are reliable in the points I made above?

Being able to run other programs like 3dsm and maya would be a huuuge plus as well, and that would definitely eliminate the budget for that kind of hardware.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Budget and netbook completely aside, I've been looking at the toshiba m780, how would this be for those applications I mentioned above?

Last edited by Drewb; August 21st, 2010 at 04:02 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bump?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alienware's M11x

You have more choices with laptops and tablet pc's.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have a HP TM2T and it is excellent.
    My model is the European one, which has a processor that is basically an i3 with some features such as hyper-threading disabled and it runs CS5 perfectly, with no lag that I can discern. It has a nVidia video card (Interchangeable with the integrated Intel to save battery life on the go) that has no problem with Maya, zBrush and Sketchup.
    The Wacom digitizer works well, and it also has a capacitive touch screen that can handle up to 2 fingers.
    The actual laptop is, to sum it up in one word: sexy. It has a chiclet keyboard from the HP Envy, and touch pad. The body is brushed metal with an engraved design.
    It comes with a digitizer pen, but I would advise using a Wacom pen for added sensitivity and accuracy.
    The only thing wrong with it is the screen: It is very, very glossy. This created glare problems with it's in direct light, but it's fine indoors/in the shade, and can be improved with a matt anti-glare screen protector.
    It works well for me as an all-rounder, not as a desktop replacement but I would suggest utilizing google before making your choice.
    Something else you could consider is a Motion LE1700, a slate laptop which is reviewed here: http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...wpost&t=187509
    I would recommend waiting until the end of the year, when there will be a positive onslaught of tablet netbooks and slates in competition with the iPad.

Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't pay those gigantic premiums for a gaming laptop. You don't need the insane GPU those monsters house.

I've used workstations running dual Xeons, a desktop running intel quadcore and now a laptop running C2D P8600 and from my limited run with digital software it seems like the problem lies in the memory. You'd want at least 4GB worth of RAM followed by a decently speedy CPU, I don't think it's necessary to grab those i7 machines as I'm finding even the older Core 2 Duo in my T5010 is handling Photoshop without lag.

If anything, use my config as baseline, anything equivilent or better will be able to run Photoshop well.

Processor: Core 2 Duo P8600 @ 2.4Ghz
    RAM: 2x 2GB DDR3 Dual Channel @ 532 Mhz
    System: Windows 7 x64

"Every great and deep difficulty bears in itself its own solution. It forces us to change our thinking in order to find it." - Bohr

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Loki, I'm really interested in the HP Touchsmart Tm2t. Here in the US it maxes out with a Core i5-430UM (1.20GHz,3MB) + 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon(TM) HD 5450 switchable graphics. I'm wondering what your processor spec is as I'm worried 1.2Ghz might be a little slow for Photoshop and ZBrush. Any lag in the brush? Also, what wacom pen do you use (intuos3, 4 or cintiq pens?)

Btw, I'm currently using a Core2 Duo 2Ghz laptop which would be my frame of reference for performance.

Thanks in advance.
    -alex

Last edited by escape2mars; September 17th, 2010 at 01:10 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Tablets tend to be niche products and more expensive cause they don't sell many of them. What are you doing that you need such good performance? Most people tend to overestimate their needs in my experience. If you can find a X200t under $1k, it's a good machine. The newer X201t probably won't offer much of a performance bump unless you're really pushing it. Plus Think Pad tablet screens are excellent, probably better than the HP.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MSI's M7 is supposedly a pretty good tablet, touchscreen and all. I heard it runs photoshop pretty fine.

Don't bother looking at my sketchbook. I haven't updated that thing in years. :/

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.