Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    I like the idea of her sitting in a tree, but right now she appears to be sort of hovering on the trunk in a gravity-defying way. Maybe the branch could curve a bit more horizontally under her butt to give her better support? (Does that make sense?)

I'm really curious how this will look finished!

Check these out too:
    Rotor - GoGoJoJo

"Limited drawing skills are OK if they are offset by a fearless commitment to putting images on paper."

"I mean, What is a chair? It's an anti-gravity device." Glen Keane

"The difficult part is continuously realizing when you've stopped enjoying the process, and re-aligning yourself. It's kind of like meditation/being an art ninja..." ceddo

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kjesta For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like how this is coming along! I agree with kjesta that it seems nothing is supporting her weight at the moment. I'd also like to see you work some delicious purples and blues into that skintone, it would make suck a beautiful contrast with the yellow fabric.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Suncut For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,406 Times in 4,414 Posts

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,922 Times in 838 Posts
    Nice updates. And I like the latest one. But... I agree with the others. I figure sitting in a tree kinda requires you to use your body to balance quite a bit. Unless she's found a really supportive and comfy branch formation I'd expect the pose to be quite different. Kinda holding on to a branch with one hand and supporting herself with her leg against another. (For example.)
    "I've got ham, but I'm not a hamster"

Sketchy Link

Portfolio

9. The Following User Says Thank You to tobbA For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love your sketch process.
    Live life, Live love, Love life, then die -- SaiVix

I would really love some honest critiques and improvements suggestions

Renewed Study - I'm drawing again!!
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=133377

11. The Following User Says Thank You to SaiVix For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,239 Times in 798 Posts
    Thanks for the crits guys! I was getting kind of burned out on that piece so Iím taking a break from it at the moment, but when I get back to it Iíll do some thumbs for possible background compositions to figure out what direction to take from here. And Iíll definitely add some blue and purple to compliment the yellow when I get into working out the color. Thanks again!

Iíve been meaning to get into 3d modeling for a while now, but every time I start with something complicated and give up before I get very far. So Iím going to take it slow this time, and to start with, hereís a very simple little boat
    Attachment 1425421

I worked on the face of the Lady of Shallot a bit and fixed it up. I think I made her eyes too large in the process though; will shrink them down when I get back to it.
    Attachment 1425422

And this is another still life I started with a plant pot and a little marble in the corner. First image is the full drawing and the second image is how Iím thinking Iím going to crop it down so it focuses more on the pot.
    Attachment 1425423 Attachment 1425424

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 6,406 Times in 4,414 Posts
    What program are you using for the 3D? I've tried a few, but I've glazed over trying to learn where all the buttons and what they do. Sketchup is a lot simpler, but I still can't do what the experts can even on a small scale.

Are you going to stick the Lady of Shallot in your 3D boat? She's looking pretty nice as it.

That's a nice and simple still life. Looking forward to seeing more.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your latest illustration wip, the woman on the tree, is looking great. I like how realistic her body and face are.
    Good luck learning 3d, I know how hard it can be at the beginning Dx

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    To me, your patience towards a single piece is astounding.
    Love your valuework and solid rendering.

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Black Spot - Iím working in Maya right now. I tried Sketchup as well, and I agree the simplicity of it is really nice. I found it a little clunky though; I had already used Maya before and learned the interface (well.. enough of it to get by) and it just feels more natural for me. But itís weird working in 3d and even figuring out the process, you know, how to go from a cube to the object you want. So Iím kinda following video tutorials to get the hang of it. I made the boat to use as a reference for Shallot if necessary. Thatís the main reason Iíd like to learn 3d, to make simple props and environments to help my 2d work.

Voodoo_Mama - Yeah itís tough just thinking in 3d, and the workflow is so different. Buuut I hope to get the hang of it eventually.

Rotor - I dunno if itís patience or just plain stubbornness But thank you, I appreciate the kind words

Speaking of stubbornness.. Iím still working on this old thing. I think at this point Iíve solved all the foreground issues that were bugging me before. Still not sure what to do about the glass to make it more glass-y. Hopefully Iíll figure something out.

Attachment 1435985
    Last edited by dierat; March 5th, 2012 at 12:00 PM.

21. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Lol you are stubborn indeed

Seriously, for a crit, I think that you grow faster when you just start pumping out more work, that is less finished.
    Not as in, unfinished stuff all the time, but more as a second pillar to your foundations.
    I was hoping to see some more work on the lady of the lake, or on the lady/woman in the tree with the golden cloth around her.
    I think they are quite good, they have strong foundations and if you bring them to a level of your dragoness now
    (and maybe even beyond her), then you will I think find it easier to push the dragoness to her final conclusion.
    At least, for now.

They say great artwork is never finished and all, but a great lesson is to be learned in accepting that a work IS finished.
    For the time being, anyway.
    Keep it up! I can't wait to see some more!
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

23. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I agree with Harmaggedon! I too was looking forward to updates on the woman in the tree. I also think the dragon woman is pretty much finished, well it's up to you of course but I think it looks good as it is.
    more updates I say!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Harmageddon - Faster perhaps, but not in the right areas I think. Iíve noticed that since I spend a lot of time starting new work, I have developed a process for starting a piece that is fairly fluid and organized, and I get farther in the image much faster than I used to. But I always get bored or stuck and move on to something else at about the same point in the image, so I never develop my ability to correct problems or overcome daunting obstacles. By reworking this image, Iíve been learning a lot about how to identify and solve problems, and (more importantly perhaps) what kinds of problems Iím creating early on in the image that can be avoided. I do think itís best to do shorter, less finished work as well, but right now Iím just really trying to push this image as far as I can (without making anymore structural changes).

Voodoo_Mama - I like that piece too, and Iíll try to get back to that one next.

Hookay, so I received some good suggestions and feedback in the Critique forum on the stained glass window piece about the sense of light and color in the image. I think itís kind of sunk into an ugly stage in the process, but weíre starting to feel the light in the image better. The old version looks strange and surreal by comparison I think.

Attachment 1441650

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quick update on the flower pot. I did a little work on the cloth, but then I decided that I'm not really interested in doing another cloth study right now when what I should be studying is texture. So I removed the cloth and started focusing on the pot itself. The symmetry is a little weird, but the pot itself is not totally symmetrical either. (I'm think mine's a little too far off right now though.)

Attachment 1444670 Attachment 1444671

Thanks
    Liíl update on the stained glass window one. I feel like Iím pretty close to the end now. I think the rays on the window look kinda dorky, but I think this is the best version so far.

Attachment 1445230

30. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 22 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast