Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Thread: Diedra's sketchbook Vol. 2 - update 2/04/15

Thanks
    Thumbnails, nice. It's always good to explore the subject like that, I'm only just beginning to try and incorporate that into every bigger sketch I do. The dragoness is coming along nicely, the lighting is good.

Keep it up.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Your work has a very classical 'fantasy' look to it- pretty and whimsical

I think just keep practicing your over-all "drawing" abilities. Your rendering is already very good. You just gotta make sure the underlying structure is okay before delving too far into the details. I'm sure you know all of that already though.

Keep up the good work!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to syrella For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    The dragoness is an amazing piece already. Your painting and rendering skills are great!
    The fabric looks so real. The values of the skintones are good, but I'm not sure where all the violet colour in the shadows comes from. It doesn't look 100 % natural, but somehow it still looks good.

Cool sketchbook!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Ninetales For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    You have very lovely studio, I like those pink walls) Do you stand at your PC while painting too?
    And as always, great works here,they make me want more and more of them)) Really looking forvard to see further Swan Lake work ))

9. The Following User Says Thank You to in2eternity For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 800 Posts
    Satupeikko - Yeah, that gorilla’s awesome! It’s about two feet high. It’s a novelty Valentine’s Day gift I bought at a gas station years ago. What a find!

Black Spot - Yeah I’ve been kinda torn about whether trying to make it more dynamic even though it might result in losing the classical ballet feeling. I like the second to last image, the one where she’s on a box structure, because it gives the image a strong diagonal. Lighting is another tricky issue because I want the moon in view, but that would mean they’re backlit which would would flatten them and make them pretty dark. So I’ll wait on that one while I think it over about what direction to take it in. I might try zooming in and going for a more intimate composition.

miycko - Thanks man! I like 8 too as a pose by itself, but I don’t think it would work very well as a composition. Will have to think about it.

Rotor - Hey thanks man. Yeah thumbnails can be a pain if you’re in a hurry to get into the image and start really drawing, but over time I’ve found it very exciting on its own. It’s all about exploring possibilities and being creative, and it really helps if you figure out the big problems early so you don’t have to fix them at the end (I really hate that, lol).

syrella - Yeah, that pretty much sums up my situation I think, heh. I’ll keep trying to improve the underlying structure in my images, thanks for the comment!

Ninetales - Thanks! I think that violet is part artistic license and partly because those pillows used to be a pretty saturated blue which I was trying to reflect onto the figure. I’ll probably tone it down a little since the pillows have changed color. Thanks for the crit!

in2eternity - Yeah I stand at the computer and paint, which can sometimes be a deterrent to getting anything done :/ I have to take it down anyway because I need to use this room for something else, and I’m planning to go back to a standard sitting desk for a while and see how that affects my productivity. Thanks for stopping by!

Update on the gorilla.
    Attachment 1410016

This is an old sketch I found and started fixing/developing. It’s the Lady of Shalott moseying down the river to Camelot.
    Attachment 1410017

A female druid kinda character based on the Mursi and Surma people of South Sudan and southwestern Ethiopia. First is a sketch for the pose, then thumbs studying their use of cloth, body paint, organic accessories, and face paint.
    Attachment 1410018
    Attachment 1410019 Attachment 1410020
    Attachment 1410022 Attachment 1410021
    Last edited by dierat; January 28th, 2012 at 08:28 PM.

Thanks
    Continuing with the thumbs from the last post, I’ve been taking the elements I liked best from each category (except the face paint which I’m skipping for now) and trying to figure out which combinations work best together. Right now my favorites are #21-27.

Attachment 1410494 Attachment 1410495

Thanks
    Wow girl, that's a crazy amount of thumbs ! Crazy in a good way, mind you
    From the last batch I like 29, 30 and 32-35 best, personally. They have a certain elegance in their clothing that I like.
    The gorilla is coming along nicely, as is the lady of the lake.
    Curious to see where you take them on your tour du force to their finish.
    Keep it up!
    "...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Harmageddon - Thanks! I like those a lot as well, but I decided against them because I didn’t think they fit the character as much because the cloth headdress isn’t as nature-y as the headdresses made from organic materials. I’ll probably use some of these designs for something else in the future.

Next round on thumbs, iterating on the ones I liked best.

Edit: Added 32 - 38; think I’m done with these now. Now I need to figure out which one to use :/ Right now I'm liking #36 the most.
    Attachment 1411314 Attachment 1411481
    Last edited by dierat; January 30th, 2012 at 09:50 AM.

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    great thumbnails as usual, i like numbers 14 & 23 from the latest batch i'm curious as to how long you took to do these? Lady Of The Shalott looks promising & very nice work on the gorilla's fur
    Last edited by miycko; January 30th, 2012 at 10:18 PM.
    DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

16. The Following User Says Thank You to miycko For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    miycko - I like #14 as well but I’m not really into that green cloth. I added a few more thumbs to the second image in the last post including some variations on that one. I really like #36 and I’m considering moving forward with that one. What do you think?

The first couple of pages of thumbs were really quick because I was working mostly from photos at that point and just simplifying the designs into thumbnails. I probably spent about 1-2 minutes on each thumb. The last few pages involved less drawing and more dragging layers from previous thumbs, but they took longer because I spent more time looking at them and trying to think of new variations that would be better.

Thanks
    The gorilla study is looking really good so far. The fur looks very nice and not too overworked, which I find very hard to do with textures in general lol.
    Thumbnails are very interesting. I'm not sure which one I like the most, I like a lot of them.
    ---

19. The Following User Says Thank You to Voodoo_Mama For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    My votes are for 13, 20 and 36. Great stuff, I really like the way the thumbnails evolved. So many good ones but I think the most visually striking ones are the ones I mentioned, to me at least.

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Blueflies For This Useful Post:

Lusaka, Zambia. Willing to relocate to anywhere in the world.
    Thanks
    i say go for it, you'll get to keep the design & i also prefer the yellow to the green
    DRAW UNTILL IT HURTS
    AND THEN DRAW SOME MORE

23. The Following User Says Thank You to miycko For This Useful Post:

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast