Sketchbook: Diedra's sketchbook Vol. 2 - update 7/13/14 - Page 10

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice! I love the composition of the Heimdallr painting. I've been working on an illustration of Loki and Idunn myself. Norse mythology rocks! =)

Shoulder to the wheel, my friend!
    My sketchbook - Harsh critique always welcome!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to Dina2342 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Beautiful sketchbook. I love the bracelet still life and the #267 fairy. I especially like your nine of swords picture. I always have a love for people redoing the tarot cards, because it's fun to see how creative people are with it. What I really liked about it was the reflection of the blue of her gown/skin and the vibrant colors.

I don't have much to critique, except that i found the lack of shadow made me feel like something was missing. But maybe that's an effect you were going for?

Lovely sketchbook. I look forward to seeing more.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to nyghtrain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,234 Times in 795 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Hey people! Wow, it’s been 4 months. For some reason I just haven’t felt like posting my work online at all..

Lately I’ve been really into character design. I have a lot of ideas for characters sitting around on my hard drive, and I’d really like to follow through with them and put together a little portfolio.

One idea I’ve been working on recently is a redesign of the character Nelvana of the Northern Lights. She’s from the 40’s so her design is a bit simple and unidentifiable. Seeing as she’s supposed to be Inuit, I wanted to take inspiration from traditional Inuit clothing to make something a little more unique.

Here’s a comic panel to show you Nelvana’s original design:

Name:  Nelvana_h4.jpg
Views: 485
Size:  73.8 KB

These are my initial thumbnails to pin down the overall design. I liked the last two.

Name:  body_sheet1.png
Views: 483
Size:  160.6 KB Name:  body_sheet2.png
Views: 484
Size:  166.3 KB

Then I did some color thumbnails. The original Nelvana comics were published in black and white, so she doesn’t really have a standardized color palette. There was one color comic featuring Nelvana in which she wore blue and green, but it’s not really set in stone. Some artists use green and red or blue and red instead. I haven’t quite decided what direction to go in yet. (Opinions welcome! )

Name:  color_sheet1.png
Views: 489
Size:  241.4 KB Name:  color_sheet2.png
Views: 493
Size:  301.9 KB

I also did some thumbs of traditional Inuit facial tattoos. I’m not sure yet if I’m going to use a tattoo at all or which one I’ll use if I do. (Feedback appreciated! ^^ )

Name:  tattoo_sheet1.png
Views: 549
Size:  148.6 KB

Name:  tattoo_sheet2_1.png
Views: 484
Size:  77.2 KB

Then I drew out the design in a flat orthographic format. I’m planning to vector it, but should figure out the color/tattoo first. (I’m posting a version without the cape just so you can see the back of the design.)

Name:  orthoview_withcape.png
Size:  138.4 KB Name:  orthoview_withoutcape.png
Size:  146.0 KB

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Diedra, glad to see you posting your art again!
    I hope you'll keep it up more regularly than once every four months

What happened to the trapped faerie btw? Did you get around to finish that painting?
    I'd really like to see where you would take that.

I like the idea of a redesign of the Inuit princess Nelvana. I'm always impressed by the sheer
    amount of thumbs and clothing designs you manage to churn out.
    I like the color pallettes of C11-20 best, the reference to the night sky is appealing.
    Some green as a reference to the northern light would be awesome of course.
    I see you've got that covered. I think purple would also go well with that.
    Purple is a royal color and quite often visible in pictures of the northern lights.

I don't know about the tattoos. I googled it a little and the inuit seemed to have a practice involving
    facial tattoos for quite a while, to protect their spirits and whatnot. If I were you I would paint up a
    roughly finished Nelvana, play around with colors and have her facial tattoo on a separat layer for a while,
    that you turn on and off as you please to see what speaks to you.

Hope that helps. Keep it up!

"...it had the serene look in it's eyes of a creature that realizes it's a tube on legs..." ~ Terry Pratchett

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once we grow up." ~Pablo Picasso

sketchbook
    Deviant
    Facebook Page

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Harmageddon For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for dropping by my sketchbook. Your feedback opened my eyes.

Really like your fantasy illustrations btw. Fantastic stuff
    I would have to agree with Harmageddon about the tattoos of Nelvana. I remember making a character once, never finishing her because of all the choices for tattoos -_- Just some ideas, but I think the tattoos might work great if they continue from her face down to her neck since there's space. Try how the tattoos work as white. Might be because of the missing tattoos and color that I find her a bit too simplified. A strap on her boots or under shirt might do the trick though (aren't she cold like that anyways XD). I like c19 for a color. Maybe change the reverse side of her garmet to the color of the reverse side of her cape to draw attention away from down there :--D oh, and her boots look different in the ortographic pic. I think the boots in the color thumbs look better.
    I hope I helped even for a bit See you around!

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Available for freelance work. Portfolio and contact info:
    teemurasinkangas.com

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Hartsitikru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey there! Thanks for visiting my sketchbook and leaving feedback - much appreciated!! Now that I see what an amazing artist you are I'm humbled and honored.

"Figure drawing prepares you for painting at a high level" - Jeff Watts

Sketchbook

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Darkstrider For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're back! I'm getting all giddy here.
    Cool to see you doing extensive character exploration.
    Don't really have any crit, just wanted to drop by and say hi.
    Keep it up!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Rotor For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Harmageddon - Thanks for the feedback! I hadnít considered purple before; that could go really well. Iím afraid I have not touched the faerie piece in forever. I am gonna finish that though.. I hope.. D: And I will definitely try to update more often! ^^

Hartsitikru - Thank you for you comments; I will definitely consider all your suggestions. I agree it looks a bit too simple right now, but I think if I put one of the more complex color treatments on there that it will work out okay. I'll find out for sure when I get to the color stage, and I can add some accessories if necessary. Thanks again!

Darkstrider - Aw, thanks!

Rotor - Hi back! Thanks for stoppin' by!

These are some compositional thumbs for the current IOW (which you should definitely check out). Itís an illustration of the scene in Storm of Swords where Daenerys buys and then frees the slaves of Astapor (for those following the show Game of Thrones, this scene takes place in the 4th episode of the 3rd season).

Name:  dracarys_comp1.png
Views: 365
Size:  251.8 KB Name:  dracarys_comp2.png
Views: 367
Size:  283.5 KB Name:  dracarys_comp3.png
Views: 366
Size:  276.3 KB Name:  dracarys_comp4.png
Views: 361
Size:  281.8 KB Name:  dracarys_comp5.png
Views: 372
Size:  272.2 KB Name:  dracarys_comp6.png
Views: 367
Size:  265.9 KB Name:  dracarys_comp7.png
Views: 365
Size:  282.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a self-portrait I drew back in November but didn't get around to scanning until now.

To get the slight downward perspective, I took a standing mirror, taped the bottom to a table, taped the top to a thin rope, then nailed the rope to the wall.

Drawn with white and black charcoal pencils on watercolor paper toned with a black acrylic wash.

Name:  SP2013_final.png
Views: 352
Size:  1.19 MB

18. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,622 Times in 3,780 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Love the self portrait. With the IOW, I think if the spears were lower, like more distant, it would help prevent tangents.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, wonderful self-portrait dierat! I really love how the shadows fall.

I'm a big fan of character design, so I'm looking forward to seeing where you go with Nelvana. I liked the clothing design of C16 AND C17 the best. Though I also really like the northern lights effect on C12 with those particular colors.

For the tattoos, I liked F17, F27, F28, F29, and the chin of F15.

Sketchbook
    Are you a beginner interested in weekly prompts, illustration challenges, art RPs, or just interacting and finding activities for new artists?

Then come check out the new beginner's subforum!

Beginner's Challenges and Activities

22. The Following User Says Thank You to nyghtrain For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Black Spot - Thank you! Yeah I'm not sure what to do about the spears because I want the army to kind of frame her but I don't want their spears to get in the way. I think I'm going to try making them much lighter and see if that helps push them back and seem less intrusive, and I'll definitely keep your comment in mind as I move forward with this piece.

nyghtrain - Thanks! I really appreciate the specific feedback; I might end up using your comment as a 'tie-breaker' if I can't decide between the different options. I like C12 as well; that might be the winner I think. For the tattoo, I think I might go with just a chin section since the bangs will cover the top of her head anyway. Thanks again!

Hokay, retouched the Nine of Swords piece again, but this time I’m pretty happy with it. I reworked the bottom-left section of the skirt, neutralized the color a bit so it’s not so saturated all throughout the image, dimmed the brightest swords just a touch, softened the back hand so it blends into the background a little, and added a subtle cast shadow under the figure (it's easy to miss because it's behind the swords on the beach). (Click here to see the previous ‘finished’ version.)

Name:  NineofSwords_by_DiedraRater.png
Views: 276
Size:  491.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome works Dierat! I love the self portrait it looks realy nice and very well drawn. You also have good value design in your paintings which make them read clearly.

One thing you may want to pay attention to when drawing is to keep thinking in 3d all the way through. Now it seems that you forget that in some areas, making them look flat.

Keep up the awesome work!

25. The Following User Says Thank You to fantasyartist For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    fantasyartist - Thanks, I appreciate the feedback!

Hereís some progress on the Ďmermaidí piece I did some thumbnails for last year. To recap, the stuff on her legs is the skin of her tail which she is currently shedding after becoming human.

Name:  mermaid_wip3.png
Views: 255
Size:  169.9 KB

27. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your mermaid is looking beautiful Dierat! It's kind of rough in some places still, but I want to give you some crits.

Right now It's hard to see the skin as skin because the divide between her human skin and the mermaid skin is so clear. If it's shedding, maybe some parts of the skin could be broken and small parts of it still attached on the places the tail was.

I haven't studied moonlight, but I would think it is softer than your contrast and shadows show. Not sure though. And if this is moonlight ofcourse

This is just me, but I would put the water in the piece already, because it might affect the values on her tail.

First thing I would do to this piece is make her ribcase more visible. I imagine an exhausted mermaid as thin and pale.

I really want to see this piece finished. Have a good day

Sketchbook
    DeviantArt

Available for freelance work. Portfolio and contact info:
    teemurasinkangas.com

29. The Following User Says Thank You to Hartsitikru For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lovely idea, but it does look like a sheet she's emerging from atm. I'm sure you know where to go with it and look forward to the updates.

You might want to change your signature - the link isn't quite right.

31. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hartsitikru - Having some of the skin still attached is a really good idea; I will definitely try that. I was thinking of having the top edge of the skin curl over like it’s peeling off (because I looked at quite a few snakeskin photos and that was a common effect). I haven't gotten into the texture of the shed skin yet, but I hope that will also help make the concept more obvious.

I added a little suggestion of ribs on the side of her torso. I think that really helps because that area just looked kind of empty before.

I hadn't considered using a moonlit scene - I was thinking more like sunset/sunrise because that allows for a strong side lighting like this (and also it works as a metaphor for one stage of your life ending and another beginning, etc). I should try out both when I get to the color stage.

Thank you very much for your helpful feedback, I really appreciate it!

Black Spot - Thanks! I’m going to try to add some snakeskin texture to the shed skin, which I hope will push the concept home. (Since texture is my weak spot I’m a little anxious as to how it will turn out, but it will be good practice.) We’ll see.

Do you mean the link to my sketchbook? It works okay for me. Weird.

Small update on the 'mermaid' piece. I worked out the hair, but now I’m thinking it’s kind of odd to have the hair dry if she just crawled out of the water. Technically she could have been lying there for a while, but it just looks out of place. Will have to re-do that. I also worked out the tail a little more and changed her arm position a little.

Name:  mermaid_wip6.png
Views: 195
Size:  185.8 KB

And this is a study of ‘Whisper’ by Victoria Sims http://fav.me/d5jfef4. I was mostly playing around with brushes and trying to find a rendering method that has a little more texture but still looks ‘finished’.

Name:  whisper_wip1.png
Views: 185
Size:  265.5 KB Name:  whisper_wip2.png
Views: 187
Size:  327.6 KB Name:  whisper_wip6.png
Views: 184
Size:  648.8 KB Name:  whisper_wip7.png
Views: 189
Size:  716.3 KB

Name:  whisper_wip9.png
Views: 189
Size:  262.1 KB

33. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Interesting development on the mermaid picture. Nice angle and careful shading, please finish it

35. The Following User Says Thank You to R-K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, salt water and hair don't really go together well. Nice study, even though I'm not sure about the neck.

37. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    R-K - Thanks, and Iíll try!

Black Spot - A couple people have mentioned that area to be problematic; in retrospect, I didnít pay the same attention to the neck as I did the other areas of the image. Thank you for your continuous encouragement btw; I really appreciate it. < 3

Lately Iíve been working on a study of a toy triceratops (which I posted wips of on the last page). Itís seriously been sitting on my desk for 9 months, but I somehow managed to totally forget about it until recently. Hereís the current wip:

Name:  triceratops_wip9_2.png
Views: 158
Size:  757.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome stuff again, I really love the mermaid piece. Hope you'll finish it! The dino study looks cool also. You are really good with values and form, this dino for example looks very 3d. Good job as always! Just post moarrr.

40. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like that. At least you don't have kids posing them in inappropriate positions when your back is turned.

42. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Satu - Thanks! I really appreciate your kind words; your opinion means a lot to me. < 3

Black Spot - Indeed, lol! This one isnít poseable but Iím sure a creative mind could find a way around that.

I finally made something in Illustrator! Itís a quick mock-up of a hockey tee using the logo and colors of the new Ms. Marvel.

Name:  ms_marvel_hockey_stripe_babydoll.png
Views: 139
Size:  57.5 KB

And an update on the triceratops. The colorís a bit boring because the actual toy is just a medium grey except on the horn and beak areas. Will probably touch it up a little before calling it done.

Name:  triceratops_wip12.png
Views: 136
Size:  1.20 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Think this is the finished version.

Name:  triceratops_study_by_diedra_rater.jpg
Views: 118
Size:  32.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That's great. The shadow on the ground could be a bit darker in some areas, but it's awesome as is.

46. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Black Spot!

Li'l update on the 'mermaid' piece, working on adding a snake skin texture to the tail and a ribbed effect to the fin on the end. I looked at images of snakes shedding skin, and I've noticed that the lines between the scales are very prominent and the skin where the scales were is actually concave and in shadow. Haven't really figured out how the transition from the tail to the fin is going to work so right now it's pretty sharp.

Name:  mermaid_wip12 copy.png
Views: 104
Size:  291.7 KB

48. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I love where your mermaid piece is going. So far the values and edges are excellent and your rendering is so life like. The only shame with this pose is not seeing her face, but, (it's only a thought)pool of water, reflection possibilities? Inspiring stuff, I definitely need to go home and practice more.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

50. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Dayle! I agree the piece would probably be more effective if the face were visible, but I hope the pose and mood of the piece convey the emotion I'm trying to communicate without her expression. In my original batch of thumbnails, I did have some versions where her face was visible, but I just felt that this pose and angle was most effective in every other area. I hadn't considered having a reflection on the water; I was planning on going for more of a foamy surf, but I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind. Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I don't have much to post, but I really want to keep updating this thing at least weekly, so I'm posting anyway.. These are two llamas studies I've started - the first is a stuffed llama that I'm drawing from life, and the second is a study from a photo (reference here).

Name:  SL_wip2.png
Views: 79
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  llamastudy_wip3 copy.png
Views: 88
Size:  351.4 KB

52. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    These are some thumbnails for the CHOW Pokemon redesign. My pokemon is Sawsbuck, which is basically a deer with tree branches for antlers. I was really having trouble getting started because I couldn't quite decide on the lighting, so naturally I did some quick sketches of the possibilities I was considering. I think I'm going to do L2-2.

Name:  thumbL1_1.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  55.2 KB Name:  thumbL1_2.jpg
Views: 63
Size:  57.9 KB Name:  thumbL1_3.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  58.4 KB Name:  thumbL2_1.jpg
Views: 67
Size:  56.1 KB Name:  thumbL2_2.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  58.6 KB Name:  thumbL2_3.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  59.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like how you develop form and value in your last works )) I'd suggest to make some color studies as well ))

55. The Following User Says Thank You to in2eternity For This Useful Post:

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 31