Page 23 of 25 FirstFirst ... 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,240 Times in 800 Posts
    Hartsitikru - Having some of the skin still attached is a really good idea; I will definitely try that. I was thinking of having the top edge of the skin curl over like it’s peeling off (because I looked at quite a few snakeskin photos and that was a common effect). I haven't gotten into the texture of the shed skin yet, but I hope that will also help make the concept more obvious.

I added a little suggestion of ribs on the side of her torso. I think that really helps because that area just looked kind of empty before.

I hadn't considered using a moonlit scene - I was thinking more like sunset/sunrise because that allows for a strong side lighting like this (and also it works as a metaphor for one stage of your life ending and another beginning, etc). I should try out both when I get to the color stage.

Thank you very much for your helpful feedback, I really appreciate it!

Black Spot - Thanks! I’m going to try to add some snakeskin texture to the shed skin, which I hope will push the concept home. (Since texture is my weak spot I’m a little anxious as to how it will turn out, but it will be good practice.) We’ll see.

Do you mean the link to my sketchbook? It works okay for me. Weird.

Small update on the 'mermaid' piece. I worked out the hair, but now I’m thinking it’s kind of odd to have the hair dry if she just crawled out of the water. Technically she could have been lying there for a while, but it just looks out of place. Will have to re-do that. I also worked out the tail a little more and changed her arm position a little.

Name:  mermaid_wip6.png
Views: 255
Size:  185.8 KB

And this is a study of ‘Whisper’ by Victoria Sims http://fav.me/d5jfef4. I was mostly playing around with brushes and trying to find a rendering method that has a little more texture but still looks ‘finished’.

Name:  whisper_wip1.png
Views: 236
Size:  265.5 KB Name:  whisper_wip2.png
Views: 238
Size:  327.6 KB Name:  whisper_wip6.png
Views: 235
Size:  648.8 KB Name:  whisper_wip7.png
Views: 242
Size:  716.3 KB

Name:  whisper_wip9.png
Views: 246
Size:  262.1 KB

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Interesting development on the mermaid picture. Nice angle and careful shading, please finish it

5. The Following User Says Thank You to R-K For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 5,841 Times in 3,946 Posts
    Yeah, salt water and hair don't really go together well. Nice study, even though I'm not sure about the neck.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    R-K - Thanks, and Iíll try!

Black Spot - A couple people have mentioned that area to be problematic; in retrospect, I didnít pay the same attention to the neck as I did the other areas of the image. Thank you for your continuous encouragement btw; I really appreciate it. < 3

Lately Iíve been working on a study of a toy triceratops (which I posted wips of on the last page). Itís seriously been sitting on my desk for 9 months, but I somehow managed to totally forget about it until recently. Hereís the current wip:

Name:  triceratops_wip9_2.png
Views: 210
Size:  757.4 KB

Thanks
    Awesome stuff again, I really love the mermaid piece. Hope you'll finish it! The dino study looks cool also. You are really good with values and form, this dino for example looks very 3d. Good job as always! Just post moarrr.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Satu For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I like that. At least you don't have kids posing them in inappropriate positions when your back is turned.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Satu - Thanks! I really appreciate your kind words; your opinion means a lot to me. < 3

Black Spot - Indeed, lol! This one isnít poseable but Iím sure a creative mind could find a way around that.

I finally made something in Illustrator! Itís a quick mock-up of a hockey tee using the logo and colors of the new Ms. Marvel.

Name:  ms_marvel_hockey_stripe_babydoll.png
Views: 192
Size:  57.5 KB

And an update on the triceratops. The colorís a bit boring because the actual toy is just a medium grey except on the horn and beak areas. Will probably touch it up a little before calling it done.

Name:  triceratops_wip12.png
Views: 195
Size:  1.20 MB

Thanks
    Think this is the finished version.

Name:  triceratops_study_by_diedra_rater.jpg
Views: 174
Size:  32.0 KB

Thanks
    That's great. The shadow on the ground could be a bit darker in some areas, but it's awesome as is.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Black Spot For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Black Spot!

Li'l update on the 'mermaid' piece, working on adding a snake skin texture to the tail and a ribbed effect to the fin on the end. I looked at images of snakes shedding skin, and I've noticed that the lines between the scales are very prominent and the skin where the scales were is actually concave and in shadow. Haven't really figured out how the transition from the tail to the fin is going to work so right now it's pretty sharp.

Name:  mermaid_wip12 copy.png
Views: 166
Size:  291.7 KB

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I love where your mermaid piece is going. So far the values and edges are excellent and your rendering is so life like. The only shame with this pose is not seeing her face, but, (it's only a thought)pool of water, reflection possibilities? Inspiring stuff, I definitely need to go home and practice more.

Works Conceptart sketchbook 2011 - 2014
    Tutorials Conceptart links for tutorials, guides "and more."
    Blog Art Tweets Contact : Daylesart@live.co.uk
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Dayle For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks Dayle! I agree the piece would probably be more effective if the face were visible, but I hope the pose and mood of the piece convey the emotion I'm trying to communicate without her expression. In my original batch of thumbnails, I did have some versions where her face was visible, but I just felt that this pose and angle was most effective in every other area. I hadn't considered having a reflection on the water; I was planning on going for more of a foamy surf, but I will definitely keep your suggestion in mind. Thank you for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

I don't have much to post, but I really want to keep updating this thing at least weekly, so I'm posting anyway.. These are two llamas studies I've started - the first is a stuffed llama that I'm drawing from life, and the second is a study from a photo (reference here).

Name:  SL_wip2.png
Views: 131
Size:  58.5 KB

Name:  llamastudy_wip3 copy.png
Views: 145
Size:  351.4 KB

22. The Following User Says Thank You to dierat For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    These are some thumbnails for the CHOW Pokemon redesign. My pokemon is Sawsbuck, which is basically a deer with tree branches for antlers. I was really having trouble getting started because I couldn't quite decide on the lighting, so naturally I did some quick sketches of the possibilities I was considering. I think I'm going to do L2-2.

Name:  thumbL1_1.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  55.2 KB Name:  thumbL1_2.jpg
Views: 115
Size:  57.9 KB Name:  thumbL1_3.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  58.4 KB Name:  thumbL2_1.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  56.1 KB Name:  thumbL2_2.jpg
Views: 117
Size:  58.6 KB Name:  thumbL2_3.jpg
Views: 122