Thinking about Full Sail's online BS in animation, thoughts?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question Thinking about Full Sail's online BS in animation, thoughts?

Hi guys, I'm going to be a senior this coming year, and I have narrowed down my list of colleges to apply for to a few schools for animation, including Full Sail's online program. Are there any members here that have been through or are currently doing any of Full Sail's online majors, or knows how it works?

I have a few questions about their program..

1) Does anyone know from friends or personal experience how their online program is?
    2) What are admission requirements, or where can I find them?
    3) Where can I find a full list of fees, aside from their [HTML=http://online.fullsail.edu/admissions/tuition]average semester cost?[/HTML] Or is that all I need to know as far as finances for the online program for now?
    4) What kind of interface is it? Is it self paced?
    5) Would I learn just about everything I would learn if I attended their school on campus?

And I suppose my most general question would be..

6) On a scale from 1 to 10, 10 being that absolute greatest, what would you rate their online animation program?

Thanks guys, less than 3 you.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'll be honest with you.
    When I was looking for a good animation school, I was almost suckered into going to Full Sail. But after doing LOTs of research and asking around.....
    I've heard nothing but bad things about Full Sails animation program. :/ (And Full Sail in general) They are not an accredited school. You'd be better off going to an accredited college, or, try checking out animationmentors if you want an online program

Full Sail is almost like The "Art Institutes" or the equivalent of University of Phoenix :/

I don't mean any disrespect towards the school, but this is what I've walked away with There are a TON of other great animation programs out there, I go to Ringling and LOVE their computer animation program. Though, if I didn't have the aid and scholarships I have now, I'd have trouble going due to the price I've heard some decent things about animationmentor and other online programs run by animators. But Full Sail...not so much XD

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by copperfire View Post
    I'll be honest with you.
    When I was looking for a good animation school, I was almost suckered into going to Full Sail. But after doing LOTs of research and asking around.....
    I've heard nothing but bad things about Full Sails animation program. :/ (And Full Sail in general) They are not an accredited school. You'd be better off going to an accredited college, or, try checking out animationmentors if you want an online program

Full Sail is almost like The "Art Institutes" or the equivalent of University of Phoenix :/

I don't mean any disrespect towards the school, but this is what I've walked away with There are a TON of other great animation programs out there, I go to Ringling and LOVE their computer animation program. Though, if I didn't have the aid and scholarships I have now, I'd have trouble going due to the price I've heard some decent things about animationmentor and other online programs run by animators. But Full Sail...not so much XD
    Thank you so much, I really appreciate your honest opinion. I had no idea they were not accredited! I just kinda assumed.. Well, yeah.

Another school I was going to apply for was Kent, who is apparently very well known for their Design, Animation and Game design major, where I would earn an associate and bachelor of science (me thinks) through a '2+2' years type program. I'm really set on them, I already have the grades and more, plus I heard it's not very competitive.

I was also going to apply to Ringling for the hell of it, but I don't see that happening financially, even with any kind of financial aid.

I'll also look more into that animationmentor, I've never heard about it before!

Thanks a lot for the helpful post!

Last edited by Drewb; August 20th, 2010 at 05:41 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    No problem! I wish you the best of luck fellow animator! 8D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey what was that about University of Phoenix? I did a search but didn't come across anything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, to be fair, I DO go to Full Sail and I find the program to be excellent. The school *is* accredited through a national accreditation, the same that MIT is accredited through. Teachers are talented and attentive, and the instruction I've received is top notch. If you want to get in touch, I can tell you of my experiences. I've gone for a year now and am very happy with the decision.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've noticed that when it comes to Full Sail, current/prospective students praise and defend it, while graduates and former employees have much more negative views of the school. While I have no personal experience with Full Sail, it has far too questionable of a reputation for me to consider attending or recommend anyone else attend.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    MIT is accredited through the New England Association of Schools and Colleges while Full sail is accredited through the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges which mostly does vocational schools. Full Sail is still a trade school at heart. Also, reputable 4 year colleges are accredited not by national accreditation associations but *regional* ones. Full Sail needs to be accredited by SACS(Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) to really be recognized as a true degree granting school. If you were to transfer out of Full Sail for any reason, your credits may not even be recognized at other schools.

Also keep in mind that Full Sail offers a *BS* in computer animation when it probably should be a BFA considering it's an art-related field, not a scientific field. While yes, there is computer science and engineering behind it, that's what BS's in Computer Science and Engineering are for.

I've met some very talented people from Full Sail, don't get me wrong. There's a lot of people that do well regardless of the school they're in. The school itself, however, has had a very spotty past and I would caution anyone from going there.

"So now we have modeled something that will get us nowhere in life"

10. The Following User Says Thank You to sula_nebouxi For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by sula_nebouxi View Post
    MIT is accredited through the New England Association of Schools and Colleges while Full sail is accredited through the Accrediting Commission of Career Schools and Colleges which mostly does vocational schools. Full Sail is still a trade school at heart. Also, reputable 4 year colleges are accredited not by national accreditation associations but *regional* ones. Full Sail needs to be accredited by SACS(Southern Association of Colleges and Schools) to really be recognized as a true degree granting school. If you were to transfer out of Full Sail for any reason, your credits may not even be recognized at other schools.

Also keep in mind that Full Sail offers a *BS* in computer animation when it probably should be a BFA considering it's an art-related field, not a scientific field. While yes, there is computer science and engineering behind it, that's what BS's in Computer Science and Engineering are for.

I've met some very talented people from Full Sail, don't get me wrong. There's a lot of people that do well regardless of the school they're in. The school itself, however, has had a very spotty past and I would caution anyone from going there.

<----What he said ;D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a former Ringling Illustration alum and a current online Computer Animation student with Full Sail. I've heard both very good and very bad things about Full Sail. I'm taking the online course because I've got two kids and absolutely no way to get a decent art or animation education where I live, and cannot afford to move to Sarasota to return to Ringling (which I miss, by the way). I am allowed a very flexible schedule for doing schoolwork, which allows me to structure time for my job, and there are plenty of weekly deadlines for each class, so it isn't just a hop and a skip to graduation. We have assigned reading materials and podcasts to cover lessons, we have projects to complete, quizzes and discussion boards that are often graded to make sure that every one is at least paying attention. Teachers, student advisors, and financial aid reps are available through email, iChat, and telephone. Often there are weekly meetings through a kind of teleconferencing tool called Wimba, in which the instructors often have a slide show and/or lecture on the week's topic, and the students have an opportunity to ask questions about projects, troubleshooting and such. Here's the way I look at it, and I took over a year to consider before committing to enrollment:

Full Sail may have only vocational accreditation. But I know my skills as an artist are very strong, and I know where I want to go. I'm taking the classes so I can get more tech savvy to make me more knowledgeable and hirable in this technologically-driven market. Plus, I learned more in the 2 months of art classes online than I did for my entire freshman year at Ringling (as far as composition and lighting goes). When I went to Ringling, tuition was $30K per school year, which means a grand total of $120K by the time you've earned your cap and gown. Full Sail charges $60K, give or take, for the entire 2 and 1/2 years there. Which means that for each month, I'm paying for $1,500 to $2,000. At Ringling you pay for at least $3,000 per month, and it takes longer because it's four years with a summer break between each year. So what it really breaks down into is how much one is willing to pay or not pay, for how much or little time and energy, and for how much or little one is willing to risk as far as quality education is guaranteed.

I'll give the benefit of a doubt that I may be biased because I am currently enrolled. All I know is that I'm glad to be getting a hands-on start in learning animation tools through the Maya program (the same thing that the Ringling CA students use) with support and encouragement from other talented, knowledgeable students and teachers. Such as Frank Cordero, who worked on six Disney Feature Animations and taught at Ringling CA dept. for a year! Haven't asked him how he feels about the school itself, but he's been there for over a year now and has told me and other students that you have to be on the ball and constantly evolving in order to survive in this industry. Did I mention opportunity for networking? Even just trying to get hired into a semi-decent paying job that isn't in my field of interest in my area requires some sort of networking and buddy system.

A big difference that irks me a bit is that there is no portfolio requirement to enroll for CA at Full Sail like Ringling has, so I think a lot of folks don't realize what they're getting themselves into, hence a lot of the resentment and negative feedback. But hey, if Ringling accepted me in the Illustration dept., then I guess I'll survive. I care more about being prepared to snag a job in which I know I have considerable talent, drive, and skill which will show in my portfolio than trying to prove something with a degree. To me, a degree says nothing more than, "I am committed to finishing what I start".

In addition, being an artist/entertainer is a TOUGH occupation. My dear mother graduated from a four year private college with a BFA over 30 years ago and she is still struggling to be financially successful. I've come to accept that being an artist is something that will either make you or break you. I call it a cursed blessing because everyone who sees my artwork admires me and wishes that they could draw, but I can't ever seem to get anyone to buy any of it! ;-)

One last thing: I have a friend who graduated from Full Sail with a BS in Film, and he got hired within months of his graduation to work as a cameraman, and has worked several jobs doing what he's good at and passionate about. I am beginning to wonder if the reason why there seem to be so many complaints against FS and so few compliments, then what if it is because those who have succeeded with their FS education are too busy working on films, T.V., animations, and music deals to discuss it on forums? ;-)

Choose a job you love, and you will never have to work a day in your life.
    --Confucius

13. The Following User Says Thank You to CrawfordRose For This Useful Post:

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.