Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

DeviantArt >:( grrrr!!!

Hey, I used to love DA back in the day - I thought it was the bees knees - and I can get past the fact that the politics are totally f***ed up, that all the best artists go completely unnoticed, and that you have to wade through the endless dregs of 30-second-MS Paint-Kawaii-Nippleless furries to find these hidden gems, but what really pisses me off is that everytime I visit the site, I get like 20 VIRUSES!!!! GEEZ!!! And it doesn't matter what computer I'm on (although, at least at my house I have good antivir that just closes my browser before I'm chin-deep in trojan horses), and I can't go back and browse my favorites, or recommend it to new art hobbyists, because it gives everyone I've talked to viruses! Don't any of the Admins know how to fix this? It's been going on for more than a year now - argh

Now, I personally don't know about how to keep websites clean, but if I ran one of the biggest public art galleries on the internet, I'd find someone who does. I mean, it took me so long to find all my fav's in the sea of entries, and I'd really like to go back and enjoy them, but at this point it isn't even worth it. :'(

[/complain]

p.s. of course I spend all my time on CA now - but there really was some beautiful stuff on DA.

p.p.s. and I know there's nothing anyone here can do about it, it's just my rant for the week - and it's just one more reason CA has completely replaced all my DA time.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Can we please not have this thread? :/

Thanks
    Yep, proper furries really should have nipples!
    it's just so weird that none of them do - even real mammals do... I know they have content warnings on the site, maybe leaving out certain anatomy means they can leave off the warning? still, that's an eyeful for any kid who hasn't yet become comfortable with the nude human body

Thanks
    Thanked 1,484 Times in 719 Posts
    Never fear, expert advice is here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDYEC4cnrpw

Thanks
    Saramel just reading your post was making me anxious... which is it, did you forget to take your meds or did you drink too much coffee, or do you always post with such hyper-active flair?

Take a deep breath! Slow down... use sentences. You will feel much better, I think.
    And do be sure to check out my sketchbook if you have time!
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

Thanks
    Thanked 1,045 Times in 379 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flake View Post

Wow, so much hype.

1) The fact that her torrent window is completely open while filming bugs me. She should turn it off when not using it and I can't help but wonder what she is torrenting.

2) One of the biggest complaint is that after they are infected, they have a hard time installing anti-virus software. It should be a known virus by now. Please install your anti-virus software as soon as possible. If already infected, nuke/reformat your harddrive after backing everything up and install the anti-virus software before you do anything. It'll save you embarrassment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by velderia View Post
    I can't help but wonder what she is torrenting.
    AwesomeTwilightWallpaperz.exe
    BestScreensavers.scr

She will then click upon these in admin mode and wonder where it all went wrong.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks

thanks to my inability to read your sarcasm, I actually listened to that whole thing waiting for an answer - so touche good sir

Yeti Ball
    haha, don't worry, I know I'm an anxious wreck - I do try to keep the coffee to a minimum, but you wouldn't want to see what an unholy B**** I am without it D:<

jcpahl
    I thought it couldn't be DA at first, but after having the same problem almost every time I or my friends visit the site, I'm fairly certain that it is. It's good you aren't having problems, maybe that's why they don't fix it, because enough people aren't being affected for some reason. But check out the link listed above, seems like at least someone else is having this problem

Thanks
    AwesomeTwilightWallpaperz.exe
    BestScreensavers.scr

She will then click upon these in admin mode and wonder where it all went wrong.
    Quote from video: "Where are you admins, are you like, taking vacation or something or whatever?!?11"

No, just stop using IE, resort to Firefox and/or Chrome (maybe Opera?), run Microsoft Security Essentials/other anti-virus software and stop leaving your torrents open/torrent from safe sources. Cut security admins some slack, stop uploading pointless traced fanart crap. Admins aren't going to run your computer for you, dammit.

It's been around for months but I haven't had this problem.

Thanks
    Firefox with Noscript / Adblock, Spybot Resident, Zonealarm and Avast! , all set to maximum paranoia, run this as a non admin account.

If you manage to get a virus with that many layers of protection, you either had one already or you should stop using computers.

Edit: you probably know this but screensavers are executable files, they can do anything..

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Firefox with Noscript / Adblock, Spybot Resident and Avast! , all set to maximum paranoia, run as a non admin account.

If you manage to get a virus with that many layers of protection, stop using computers.
    I have only one of those running, don't really mess with it, and I'm still fine. It's just common sense. Even if you don't click on any of the ads, something can travel through anything with a security flaw and mess up your shit. Just something simple as running anti-virus software will save you tears.

Thanks
    God save us. If you got that virus 20 times, you should have it instilled in your brain that you aren't going to click on any of those premium boot links. Please don't further your idiocy.

Edit: This thread makes me angry for some odd reason, bye.

Thanks
    According to CA tradition this discussion cannot continue any further until a smug Mac user or Linux fundamentalist pipes up.

See y'all tomorrow.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    get a mac like me

19. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bourin For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Angry

WTF is this shit? Some kind of a joke or something?
    And do be sure to check out my sketchbook if you have time!
    ketchook
    LinkedIn

21. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti Ball For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,837 Times in 521 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Bourin View Post
    get a mac like me
    My mac has been randomly restarting, and sarafi crashes often times.

If it was windows, I'd know how to handle it, but for this, I'm stomped

Ilaekae is offline P.O.W.! Leader, Complete Idiot, Super Moderator
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,581 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Get a fuckin' Mac...
    No position or belief, whether religious, political or social, is valid if one has to lie to support it.--Alj Mary

Ironically, the concept of SIMPLICITY is most often misunderstood by simple-minded people. --Alj Mary

24. The Following User Says Thank You to Ilaekae For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae View Post
    Get a fuckin' Mac...
    No need, I think I've sussed out how screwdrivers work.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Flake For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 2,206 Times in 1,056 Posts
    It's not DA, it's the ads, DA can't control them because they aren't hosted on DA, they're hosted by an ad service... On the rare occasion when you can actually tell which ads are causing problems, they can be reported to DA, (and then DA has to report to the ad service, and the ad service has to remove the bad ads - convoluted? Oh yes. This is why the bad ads keep slipping through. And no, the admins CAN'T fix it themselves, because they don't control the ad service.)

I have a subscription so I have no ads and no viruses from DA. If you don't want to spring for a subscription, USE FIREFOX for god's sake, with ad blocking. Or Chrome, better yet.

Whatever you do, don't use IE. Actually, whatever you do, don't use IE for ANYTHING.
    Last edited by QueenGwenevere; August 20th, 2010 at 01:09 AM.

Thanks
    That's sad how DA hate has become some sort of pathetic punchline here on CA.
    * Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by QueenGwenevere View Post
    Whatever you do, don't use IE. Actually, whatever you do, don't use IE for ANYTHING.
    Other than "update Windows", this is correct.

Thanks
    Everyone I know has been referring to it as "Internet Exploder" for years now...

So far the name has been entirely accurate.

Thanks
    Rightly so.

Whenever we've tried to "idiot proof" a PC for friends or family the first thing you do is install any other browser then wipe the IE icon.

It's still dug in there but if they don't see the Icon they don't click it.

IE is one of those evils that you must avoid, kinda like Norton or RealPlayer..

Thanks
    The problem isn't dA, but I think that's been adressed before.
    A friend of mine always got like three pop-ups for apple sauce whenever she used Google, nobody else I know has. I'm fairly certain her problem was lying somewhere in her computer, and not with Google itself. This is the same thing: if dA was suddenly a virus den then more people would've been affected by it than just you and your friends. And I'm pretty sure I would've noticed from all the journal spam that would suddenly arise.
    There's also a section on the forum where you can report infected or inappropriate ads. So if one particular ad is the problem (though I don't think that is the case), that's where you want to go to.

And as much as we love to make fun of dA, I don't think the site is nearly as bad as people make it out to be. No, the best artists don't always go unnoticed, provided they do something more to get involved in the community and not "only" upload their art there. You have to get yourself out there to get yourself noticed, and the real world isn't much different at that. And some of the best artists áre also the most popular ones, they also receive the most recognition from the staff (DD's, seniority, Deviousness awards, etc.)

Also, I stay away from the front page with thet newest uploads and most-popular-in-the-last-24-hours, that's where I think most complaints come from. As a result I don't have to plow through millions of furry nipples to get to what I want to see.

Thanks
    You all do know that DA is starting to show up the list of site not to go to on or will any browser? I do not feel that DA has a true Admin worth anything .. yes there are some good artist in some way but please it way of from being a safe site.. I do my best never go there ..even if I have to in searching for copy right thieves I use a old laptop with bookable Linux CD.. easy to clean just turn it off and take out the cd and all the bad stuff is gone...

CC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Armonah View Post
    The problem isn't dA, but I think that's been adressed before.
    A friend of mine always got like three pop-ups for apple sauce whenever she used Google, nobody else I know has. I'm fairly certain her problem was lying somewhere in her computer, and not with Google itself.
    Yeah, that sort of thing has apparently been what's really behind some of the complaints... As I understand it, some types of malware essentially spy on you as you browse and pop up ads based on the content of the pages you view, or based on what you view most often, or some such process.

So if you already HAVE malware on your computer from god knows where, it could be reacting to content on DA (or even to the mere act of visiting DA often...)

Honestly, DA isn't any more dangerous than any other site with ads if you block ads and browse intelligently. (And don't click mysterious links in spam comments, seriously, how many people have been suckered into that and then blamed DA?) (And don't click on links in fraudulent email claiming to be from DA, either.)

What I don't trust is Facebook applications. They just seem so dodgy.

Thanks
    Well, I totally have been using IE to visit so I'll stop that right away.

I've noticed, like the girl in the youtube thing said, it's mostly when I click on an image to make it larger - then I hear all these pop-up clicks, and then my antivir closes the browser. I'm goin to firefox now.

Thanks
    sorry but the scans on DA show the bugs coming off the site come from single time users that seem to build accounts or hack them up load content adn then get bugs that infect the system and server.. sadly if it has EXE or is a flash or Java script it could be infected..

I just don't feel DA has what it takes to keep script bots out..

CC

Thanks
    Rightly so.

Whenever we've tried to "idiot proof" a PC for friends or family the first thing you do is install any other browser then wipe the IE icon.

It's still dug in there but if they don't see the Icon they don't click it.

IE is one of those evils that you must avoid, kinda like Norton or RealPlayer..

I've never bothered using anything other than IE and Norton for over 12 yrs. Never caused me any problems really and I've never had any real virus issues. (Actually, I can remember getting a virus on my Mac many years ago though)

Real Player though is a sort of virus and is definately to be avoided.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig D View Post
    I've never bothered using anything other than IE and Norton for over 12 yrs. Never caused me any problems really and I've never had any real virus issues. (Actually, I can remember getting a virus on my Mac many years ago though)

Real Player though is a sort of virus and is definately to be avoided.
    If you don't frequent sites you're not familiar with, you can be fine with IE and virus protection program. However, once I switched over to Firefox (before 3.6 which IMO is a piece of shit that keeps crashing - crash protection my ass) you notice the difference in how it handles pages and it's actually harder to switch back.

As far as Real Player, some may swear by VLC but I really like Media Player Classic now.

39. The Following User Says Thank You to Arshes Nei For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast